Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NoSI again thank you for the write up of your notes! I am going to read back over them again. Just from a quick first look, it's easy to see that LE had a field day with BM. He lied and was so suspicious with his answers and inconsistencies that they likely knew he was going to slip up and they just kept adding the evidence each time they interviewed him.
It actually reminds me of an episode of Columbo (my hero ha ha) . :) I bet the LE played dumb or buddied up to BM and he just kept blabbing and incriminating himself.....the things he said regarding his and SM's relationship/sex life and his God stuff all makes me cringe.

A little bit more... Will be back at it tomorrow. Not much left. Should get it done tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

This is my interpretation of what I heard. This information has been
provided for use and discussion at Websleuths only.

Day 4

Partial Morning Session
Court started at 9 AM.

We are starting with DN cross-examining Grusing.

immunity” - BM reportedly only mentioned “immunity” after watching people covering the case on YouTube. People were saying things like “Don’t talk. They will use it against you” and “Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you”, which concerned BM.

guilt” – BM was asked if he felt any guilt. He replied “Yes, guilt about only caring about hunting and money”. In regards to the evidence against him, stated “the evidence is wrong. Plainly wrong”.

March 5, 2021 – The safe was returned to BM and BM determined that there was money missing from the safe. Amount of 70k – 80k as per BM. Some of it was in a “blue bank bag” and there was also money outside the blue bank bag in a binocular box. BM stated “If the Police doesn’t have the money, she could have taken it”.

chlorine” – Regarding smell of chlorine in hotel room, BM stated “I have no idea. I have no bleach in my room”. Again, it was brought up that the indoor pool of the hotel was located below BMs room (room 225). It was highlighted that there was no evidence that BM carried bottles of anything into the room.

insurance paperwork” – JP found some insurance paperwork that belonged to BM under the pillow of his bed in room 225 that he took over after BM left for Salida.

dog hits” – No dog hits on/in F350.

BM searching for SM” – Defense stated that “significant evidence” exists that BM was searching for SM for 2-3 months after she went missing. BM reportedly searched 200 square miles with GD.

May 10, 2021 – After the affair was disclosed to BM, BM stated “I think she left”. He stated that he was “angry, but forgave her and that we are all sinners”. Verbalized that he is worried about being falsely accused and “who is gonna raise my daughter (daughters?)”

April 4, 2021 – BM told his daughters about SMs affair because “I didn’t want to keep anything from them”. BM said to daughters “this is a sin, but no worse than any sin we do every day”.

DN is finished.

Lindsey resumes with Grusing at 9:52 AM.

MaM to SM – “Do it (leaving him) without telling him”, this was likely a text message, but I am not sure.

SM to SO – “He tried to pull Macy in again”, this would have been in March 2020, MaM reportedly told BM “Leave me alone”.

Prosecution attempting to discuss “independent evidence aside form texts that there was trouble in the marriage”. Objection by Defense. Judge adds that it has been established that there were problems in the marriage and covering this again is not helpful to him.

February 28, 2021 interview – BM talks about the evidence LE has on him. He states “Your evidence doesn’t matter. It’s wrong”.

what is this evidence that was presented to BM” – It included BM being up before 4:30 AM on May 10, 2020; him explaining this by saying “if I did anything outside, it wasn’t wrong”.

BM monitoring SMs phone” – There is some evidence that BM monitored SMs phone. For example, BM took phone from SM during a vacation in Mexico so he can see who SM was talking to on Snap Chat.

I am done text…” – Trigger for suicide text by BM. BM reportedly wanted to hear “don’t hurt yourself”. But SM did not reply.

physical violence in the marriage” – He admitted that he “pushed up against her during an argument” and added “I never constricted her”.

Again, judge says that info provided so far during this re-direct is not helpful to him. Stated “It is well established that SM was not happy in her marriage, for example by looking at the list of grievances”.

BM striking SM” – BM disclosed to CBI, this was accident and described as “clipped side of nose with hand”.

DN looks very annoyed at 10:16 AM.

First looked for SMs bike after JR received call from BM (??). BM asked JR to look for the bike.

Grusing done at 10:17 AM.

Prosecution calls Deputy Hemchoot. He was onsite during the search and inspection of Puma Path.

May 13, 2020 – Inventory of gun safe was taken. Included empty tranquilizer darts and tranquilizer gun. The dart gun was itemized. It was determined by the Deputy that the dart gun had not been fired in a long time. Deputy stated “Did not appear to work. Not fired in a long time based on my assessment”.

May 19, 2020 – Back at Puma Path. Puma Path has been under LE control. The laundry room was searched. 4 LE officers participated. The inside of the dryer was photographed. Body cam video shown in court room (I could not see). Nothing of importance was found in the dryer at that time. The dryer was blue starred, swapped.

Break.

I imagine SO was the cover for the trip which included JL. Also there was a report that SM was with her dad in FL for a day or so...then went and met JL. I don't know which or both is true. The fact that BM would crash that party is disturbing. Two things Barry did are game-changing triggers that I can see. First...crashing an out of state trip unannounced....screams "I DON"T TRUST YOU".....

Well, to be fair, Suzanne was meeting up with JL so I guess BM might have had reason to not 'trust her'.

I very much think that BM suspected Suzanne was having an "emotional" affair. Perhaps her behaviour had changed ... drinking IPAs, mountain bike riding as opposed to making BM dinner and cleaning the windows, maybe smiling to herself and humming as she did things around the house, maybe locking herself in the bathroom for longer periods of time so she could shoot off a few messages to JL ....

@NoSI

Thank you so much for your extraordinary effort in travelling to Salida, attending the days of PH, and for your fabulous notes, filling the holes between tweet-gaps left by MSM reporters. Even more than that, your notes give me a sense of being right there in the court room.

It’s almost as if Suzanne was in fact a reliable narrator…

bringing girls into the fights” – BM brought girls into the fights by telling them “Mom thinks I have an affair, but it’s not true”. He regretted doing this and said “it’s the worst thing I ever did.” SM was reportedly very mad.
Old school here. Common sense rules. I do not believe a word the man says.
MOO.

^^bbm

I believe it was a 'car out of place... very suspicious, and I called a detective and/or the tipline.' At the time, I think it was the right thing to do.

Curious?... :eek:
On what foundation would SD be called: to prove evidence or disprove evidence? Or do you mean during the penalty phase to talk up BM's character?

During penalty phase - but I think she may also have. been up to PP that weekend. Just a hunch. Also, I think when they go over where Barry moved Suzanne's half of the community. property. money, it might come up again. OTOH, it looks like she'd be a hostile witness.

I'm guessing the judge has already seen documentation of the outlines of what she had to say.

And he didn’t tell them he was shooting chipmunks until February 2021.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1425193216555425797?s=21
Morphew atty Dru NIelsen questioning Agent Grusing says Barry Morphew spoke with investigators 23X from May 10 til the end of 2020. None of those times did he mention that he shot chipmunks. This in reference to why his cellphone showed he was running around the house on the 10th

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429809514954514436?s=21
Feb. 28, 2021 interview: "When I'm home I walk around and shoot chipmunks." We are hearing audio from an interview with LE. Nielsen wanted to make it clear that #BarryMorphew didn't shoot 85 chipmunks all at once.
Expert attorney restates an outlandlish misconception to leave it as the image in the mind (85 chipmunks in one afternoon).
I hope the DA would redirect just to say, so the phone locating shows what?

"it's consistent with a person running around."

Last edited:
Legal Advice on YouTube?
immunity” - BM reportedly only mentioned “immunity” after watching people covering the case on YouTube. People were saying things like “Don’t talk. They will use it against you” and “Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you”, which concerned BM.....
@NoSI sbm for focus

Don’t talk. They will use it against you.”
BM, are you as smart as a fifth grader who, after watching a few Law and Order episodes, could have given you this guidance?
Seems in talking w CCSO, CBI, & FBI multiple times over a several month period, you ignored this advice, then you became concerned?

Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you.”
Wha? Are you sure you heard that correctly?

Oh, Barry.

Yep - that's the whole point of the tranquilizer dart. And seriously, that single decision is the main factor in why there's no forensic evidence at the house.

I do think all of you who suggested that Barry tried all week to get Suzanne alone out on a trail is a related strategy for him. He knew not to have any evidence of death, spittle, etc. at Puma Path.

He could even have gone for help after she "fell" from a steep trail (even better if she fell while taking a photo - it's the most common reason for women to die from falls in natural areas). But the strategy he chose has worked out pretty well for him, all things considered.

Because he had them already? Why go be seen buying syringes when you already have a device that works exactly like one? Plunging it into her back would have been a poor idea (it should be an intramuscular injection, and chances of hitting a bone on the back are pretty high). Leg or butt would be better.

He's a cheapskate and uses what he knows and what's on hand. He had boxes of those darts. I think he preferred hunting (using a gun) very very much.
I think in most states you need a prescription to purchase hypodermic needles.

It’s almost as if Suzanne was in fact a reliable narrator…

bringing girls into the fights” – BM brought girls into the fights by telling them “Mom thinks I have an affair, but it’s not true”. He regretted doing this and said “it’s the worst thing I ever did.” SM was reportedly very mad.

I'm kinda thinking the worst thing he ever did was kill his wife!

A little bit more... Will be back at it tomorrow. Not much left. Should get it done tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Day 4

Partial Morning Session
Court started at 9 AM.

immunity” - BM reportedly only mentioned “immunity” after watching people covering the case on YouTube. People were saying things like “Don’t talk. They will use it against you” and “Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you”, which concerned BM.

guilt” – BM was asked if he felt any guilt. He replied “Yes, guilt about only caring about hunting and money”. In regards to the evidence against him, stated “the evidence is wrong. Plainly wrong”.

March 5, 2021 – The safe was returned to BM and BM determined that there was money missing from the safe. Amount of 70k – 80k as per BM. Some of it was in a “blue bank bag” and there was also money outside the blue bank bag in a binocular box. BM stated “If the Police doesn’t have the money, she could have taken it”.

chlorine” – Regarding smell of chlorine in hotel room, BM stated “I have no idea. I have no bleach in my room”. Again, it was brought up that the indoor pool of the hotel was located below BMs room (room 225). It was highlighted that there was no evidence that BM carried bottles of anything into the room.

insurance paperwork” – JP found some insurance paperwork that belonged to BM under the pillow of his bed in room 225 that he took over after BM left for Salida.

BM searching for SM” – Defense stated that “significant evidence” exists that BM was searching for SM for 2-3 months after she went missing. BM reportedly searched 200 square miles with GD.

May 10, 2021 – After the affair was disclosed to BM, BM stated “I think she left”. He stated that he was “angry, but forgave her and that we are all sinners”. Verbalized that he is worried about being falsely accused and “who is gonna raise my daughter (daughters?)”

April 4, 2021 – BM told his daughters about SMs affair because “I didn’t want to keep anything from them”. BM said to daughters “this is a sin, but no worse than any sin we do every day”.

DN is finished.

MaM to SM – “Do it (leaving him) without telling him”, this was likely a text message, but I am not sure.

SM to SO – “He tried to pull Macy in again”, this would have been in March 2020, MaM reportedly told BM “Leave me alone”.

Prosecution attempting to discuss “independent evidence aside form texts that there was trouble in the marriage”. Objection by Defense. Judge adds that it has been established that there were problems in the marriage and covering this again is not helpful to him.

February 28, 2021 interview – BM talks about the evidence LE has on him. He states “Your evidence doesn’t matter. It’s wrong”.

what is this evidence that was presented to BM” – It included BM being up before 4:30 AM on May 10, 2020; him explaining this by saying “if I did anything outside, it wasn’t wrong”.

BM monitoring SMs phone” – There is some evidence that BM monitored SMs phone. For example, BM took phone from SM during a vacation in Mexico so he can see who SM was talking to on Snap Chat.

I am done text…” – Trigger for suicide text by BM. BM reportedly wanted to hear “don’t hurt yourself”. But SM did not reply.

physical violence in the marriage” – He admitted that he “pushed up against her during an argument” and added “I never constricted her”.

Again, judge says that info provided so far during this re-direct is not helpful to him. Stated “It is well established that SM was not happy in her marriage, for example by looking at the list of grievances”.

BM striking SM” – BM disclosed to CBI, this was accident and described as “clipped side of nose with hand”.

First looked for SMs bike after JR received call from BM (??). BM asked JR to look for the bike.

Prosecution calls Deputy Hemchoot. He was onsite during the search and inspection of Puma Path.

May 13, 2020 – Inventory of gun safe was taken. Included empty tranquilizer darts and tranquilizer gun. The dart gun was itemized. It was determined by the Deputy that the dart gun had not been fired in a long time. Deputy stated “Did not appear to work. Not fired in a long time based on my assessment”.

May 19, 2020 – Back at Puma Path. Puma Path has been under LE control. The laundry room was searched. 4 LE officers participated. The inside of the dryer was photographed. Body cam video shown in court room (I could not see). Nothing of importance was found in the dryer at that time. The dryer was blue starred, swapped.

Break.
Thanks for all your hard work!

This is the clearest description I could find.
The dart filler syringe sheath isn't pictured, but it would be present in the packaging.
The green bead on the actual dart cannula (needle) is a "dart cap."

Fill needle technique for loading RDDs - Pneu-Dart

I was responding to the second half of a double quoted post so my response was to the part where it was said why wouldn't he just use a hypodermic needle. Here in NJ at least, you need a prescription for that. Even for the lancets for my glucose meter requires an rx. I can buy the test strips OTC but the lancets, nope. IDK what nefarious purpose one could find for a lancet, nevertheless they have to be prescribed!

Legal Advice on YouTube?
@NoSI sbm for focus

Don’t talk. They will use it against you.”
BM, are you as smart as a fifth grader who, after watching a few Law and Order episodes, could have given you this guidance?
Seems in talking w CCSO, CBI, & FBI multiple times over a several month period, you ignored this advice, then you became concerned?

Get immunity in case they wrongly convict you.”
Wha? Are you sure you heard that correctly?

Oh, Barry.
I laughed out loud at this post. Especially 'are you as smart as a fifth grader'? OMG.:)

Day 4

Partial Morning Session
Court started at 9 AM.

DN is finished.

Break.
You are a trooper. I appreciate your work so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288