CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Of course they would. I do think that's what they're angling for.

2. abbyrdpsu

abbyrdpsu Well-Known Member

I believe a "crime of passion" falls under M2 in Colorado, making it akin to voluntary manslaughter:
    CO § 18-3-103. Murder in the second degree:
    (1) A person commits the crime of murder in the second degree if the person knowingly causes the death of a person.
    . . .
    (b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (3), murder in the second degree is a class 3 felony where the act causing the death was performed upon a sudden heat of passion, caused by a serious and highly provoking act of the intended victim, affecting the defendant sufficiently to excite an irresistible passion in a reasonable person;  but, if between the provocation and the killing there is an interval sufficient for the voice of reason and humanity to be heard, the killing is a class 2 felony.
    (BBM)

I do agree that manslaughter at CO § 18-3-104 is involuntary manslaughter.

NoSI, jakat, Blue Amethyst and 9 others like this.
  3. sk716

sk716 Armchair Anthropologist

Thought about that earlier. He had a steak sometime after 2pm on the 9th. He didn't eat at the HIE, he didn't eat at the McDonalds. I don't think we have a length of time that he was at the gas station, nor are we entirely clear on if he just cleaned the windshield or went through the car wash there. He could have gotten something at the gas station, but I think by that point he was too nervous trying to keep his alibi straight to think about food.

4. sk716

Did y'all know if you download Google Earth Pro you can look at past satellite images?

For a few days now, I've been trying to trace an ATV path up Pahlone Peak and tonight, I remembered past images.

Two historic images bore out the ATV path he could have used to get up the mountain.
    ScreenHunter 1001.jpg

If I had a drone, I know where I'd look.

5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Maybe he had Uber Eats deliver to his room -- he was there long enough! -- He had nothing else to do.

Kemug, jakat, ar3593 and 13 others like this.
  6. sk716

I hate to send everyone scrambling for the Swan-Dive pic again, but I'm looking at the wider shot without AM or BM in the shot and I can't tell if it's high tension power lines or maybe a ski-lift in the back ground to the mid upper left. Once you see it in the brighter wider shot, you can see it in the pic with Barry lying on the ground. If we can figure out what's back there, we should be able to pin down that spot.

Found it in the case Photobucket *tips hat to @AmandaReckonwith *

Photobucket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    AnnaGrace, nyvictoria, Kemug and 21 others like this.
  7. FromGermany1

FromGermany1 Don't like it, but have to wait.

The accumulation of stones look very different between the 2 pics, even one piece of rock is laying the wrong way round. :eek:

DeDee, jakat, Lyanna and 7 others like this.
  8. Except in this case, the "bickering" appears to be the type related to DV: control of a person (SM) through money, appearance (what she could wear) & threatened gun violence (BM gun to his head.

The evidence we have does not indicate their known arguments as normal "like many couples." Once more, IMO. Perhaps you don't agree it is "evidence."

No doubt, once SM decided she wanted more autonomy as a person (thoughts, choices, actions), her husband saw it as a sign of opposition.

Bickering is arguing about petty or trivial matters. When Suzanne acted outside of the norms Barry was comfortable with, emotional coercion moved to physical coercion.

You can lose your life to DV, as we have seen in this case. Proving it is the challenge, especially when an interpersonal dynamic has consumed most of the party's adult lives.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
    MerBeach, DeDee, jakat and 25 others like this.
  9. Kemug

Kemug Well-Known Member

I think it really needs the daughters to be completely honest. And I do hope they will be.

jakat, sk716, Blue Amethyst and 3 others like this.
  10. Megnut

Megnut Well-Known Member

Maybe they've got some snappy footage of him at the hotel vending machine. Didn't he say his truck was full of wrappers? Couple'a Ding Dongs maybe.

I'm still stuck on the steak.

He really sat down with maybe some steak sauce and downed a steak? That's mind-blowing to me.

But then, PF headed to his Mom's for Thanksgiving dinner.

A guy's gotta eat, I suppose.

JMO

MerBeach, tmar, Lyanna and 29 others like this.
  11. Momofthreeboys

Momofthreeboys Well-Known Member

@sk716 there aren't a ton of lifts on Monarch so it would depend on which direction this is looking. There is also a scenic tramway up in the pass. There have been quite a few searches of that area including the AM public search so perhaps someone can pinpoint this plateau easily if they participated in any of the searches.

Kemug, jakat, sk716 and 3 others like this.
  12. Love Never Fails

Love Never Fails Well-Known Member

These guys don’t have empathy. Of course they can eat! They thought they had just gotten rid of their biggest problem. I wouldn’t doubt the meal was a celebration of sorts!

MerBeach, Kemug, jakat and 16 others like this.
  13. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

It's mind-blowing to me as well. (In a general sense) For someone who obviously isn't a serial killer (who process each kill in a completely different way), I think the very act itself might even feel sort of surreal to the person. Something their brain would sort of force them into compartmentalizing somewhere over "there" so that they could get back to the everyday life things, like washing laundry and grilling a steak. Normal things that maybe even make them feel better, like the "thing" didn't actually happen.

jmo

Lyanna, Kemug, DeDee and 20 others like this.
  14. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

If he did you can bet that's on camera...
    JMO

nyvictoria, Kemug, jakat and 11 others like this.
  15. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

Two days left.

elliefant, Melsworld, Kemug and 29 others like this.
  16. Momofthreeboys

Momofthreeboys Well-Known Member

The sentence "enhancer" that prosecution added for DV will only come into play at the end of a trial. The logic behind the prosecution on the enhancer was not really exhibited in the prelim, but perhaps since it is a sentence related procedure it would become apparent at the trial if it occurs and/or if Suzanne is "found" and a cause of death can be determined.

Kemug, Puzzles8 and al66pine like this.
  17. DizzyB

DizzyB Well-Known Member

Do you think that Barry is planning for a celebratory weekend at home, steaks with peanut butter on the side?

Kemug, NoSI, jakat and 9 others like this.
  18. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

I can't wait @Alethea. What are you thinking is going to happen, bound over or not, 1st Degree or possible 2nd, and bail or not?

AnnaGrace, Kemug, jakat and 6 others like this.
  19. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

I think he's staying in jail and will be bound over but I am not sure about 1st degree. If they get 1st degree, I think jury selection will be critical for the state. There's a lot of information after the crime but not much before it which jurors will expect for 1st degree whether that's a correct interpretation of the law or not.

AnnaGrace, elliefant, Kemug and 23 others like this.
  20. muppethead

muppethead Well-Known Member

Does the judge make his/her ruling based solely on what is presented verbally/visually at the preliminary hearing or does the entire arrest affadavit (including any and all details not discussed) factor into the decision?

elliefant, Kemug, NoSI and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.