Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he did say that both will have a chance to make an argument IIRC.
I have been wondering if the judge will say he still needs time after those statements to finalize and release his decision. I still think he does not want to do it in open court or he already would have. Do most CO criminal court judges issue written decisions after a prelim? According to Denver defense attorney Reisch, they rule from the bench about 100% of the time.

JMO

I have been wondering if the judge will say he still needs time after those statements to finalize and release his decision. I still think he does not want to do it in open court or he already would have. Do most CO criminal court judges issue written decisions after a prelim? According to Denver defense attorney Reisch, they rule from the bench about 100% of the time.

JMO
I think at worst, he’ll call a brief recess. We know his docket is full, and he knows that both parties want this decision made as soon as possible.

I have relatives who are just that cheap (or used to be). But what I can't wrap my. head around is that Barry is concerned about a free breakfast on the morning after he murders/disappears his wife.

I don't think any of my relatives are quite that callous. But they do swoop down on buffets and take a bunch of creamer and jam packets (much to the horror of my late mother).
I’m not so sure he wanted the free breakfast. Wouldn’t he be entitled to that along with the room rental? I think it more likely he wanted to get into the hotel without being seen walking through the lobby so that he could try to claim he was there longer than he actually was.

I’m not so sure he wanted the free breakfast. Wouldn’t he be entitled to that along with the room rental? I think it more likely he wanted to get into the hotel without being seen walking through the lobby so that he could try to claim he was there longer than he actually was.
I guess he had early check-in as well.

Something off for sure.
That's a good guess.
Creepy to have some guy stuffing the trash can by the hotel exit door.

I will take a risk in taking a position on plea offer/deal timing. I think we will see it soon after this gets remanded for trial and M2 in second or third degree.

It is a difficult case, but I do think the investigators prosecutors botched a couple of elements. I worked landscaping when in grad school and even remember to where heavy gloves 95% of the time or more all of us got our hands and arms scratched up badly once a week. I think not knowing the location of the room so closed to a chlorinated pool and the issue of the DNA of a violent sexual assault suspect found inside her car is also quite messy.

I think if the prosecutors feel they can stay out of the weeds they themselves planted, and get the jury to focus on the totality of picture they will hold ground on insisting on M2 second.

Even if we take into account evidence that looks to a reasonable person to be premeditation, and it does look like that to me, there is the problem of her being on a chat app with her lover, including sending suggestive pictures immediately before the likely time of murder, which could be well argued to make it a crime of passion (even if those of us here do not agree).

Frankl I find the tranquillizer aspect as compelling for premeditation. I do not think she was shot with a normal bullet at all. why do so and spray so much evidence? In a rural area a "live .22 round" that rolled under something in a bedroom is nothing. I do not think he had the tranq drug and darts for pest control.

I hope there is justice for this woman. I don't like to second guess local law enforcement, but there seem to have been some red flags early in this case that do not seem to me to have been taken seriously enough early enough.
I don’t think the defense will get too far by claiming the DNA matched a sex offender. The male DNA found in Suzanne’s car is partial DNA. In addition to the sex offender, it could match you, me and thousands of other people. The State will likely have statistics to present.

I’m not so sure about the pool. I recall Barry’s employees mentioned the room reeking of bleach. Did LE admit in the Prelim that they initially identified the wrong room? I also recall a statement from a hotel employee that the pool was closed due to Covid when Barry was there. Would they be heavily chlorinating the pool if no one is swimming in it?

I agree that the tranq dart makes for some pretty good icing on the premeditation cake. Barry claimed to be shooting chipmunks during the time LE said he was moving around the house. If he’s admitted blowing away tiny chipmunks with bullets, I have a hard time believing he would tranquilize any animal. If he wanted to cut the rack off a deer or an elk, he’d shoot it, hunting season or not. Barry is not a rule follower.

I guess he had early check-in as well.
Maybe, maybe not. If check in is at 11:00am or later, could be why he'd hope to be seen? I should've called the hotel.
Which holiday inn was it again? I have it somewhere but if anyone has it handy, I'll give them a call?
Never mind, got it.
ETAA: There was no early check-in unless he paid for a half a day. There was no free breakfast back in May 2020. Early check in starts at 11pm and you pay for a half a day/daily rate. Before 11pm is a full day.
I think he was at a different hotel for a 'free breakfast' photo op or if it was the HIE, they don't have one and they didn't back then either. Juice and coffee.
The free breakfast is just like the bike ride. Didn't happen.

Last edited:
Hopefully the wait is just about over. (It's Friday afternoon in Australia. I had to wait to this morning to see the Alex Murdaugh appearance, and probably until tomorrow morning for this decision. The really excellent thing about being so out of whack time zone wise is there will be lots of excellent comments for me to enjoy, whatever the decision!)

@oviedo and myself updated the timeline as best we could with the additional information we learned from the prelim. Since we are all hoping that BM will be bound over for trial tomorrow, we are presenting it one more time for reference. The dates of May 9 and May 10 have quite a bit of detail and are pretty lengthy. It made it difficult scrolling back and forth to check and edit information. For that reason, we are going to give it to you in 4 sections.
Part 1 - May 5, 6, 7, 8
Part 2 - May 9
Part 3 - May 10
Part 4- May 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

We understand that many events in the last couple of years precipitated this murder. For the sake of simplicity, this timeline encompasses the days immediately preceding and following Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance as being most relevant to the case.

Morphew Timeline. (updated 9/16/21
Part 1

Tuesday 5/5

ETU SM drives MM2 to Gunnison to meet MM1 for camping trip to Utah

Wednesday 5/6

9:00 am – 11:00 am SM at Ritters’ for coffee. Per JR, SM energetic and excited

10:13 am SM texts BM: “I’m done. Could care less about what you have been up to for years. We just need to figure things out civilly.” Deleted but recovered from BM’s phone.

12:27 pm SM at Walmart Pharmacy in Salida. Has cart with items. She was handed a white prescription bag. No meds with that date found at PP.

2:43 – 5:00 BM at Tailwinds jobsite, Poncha Springs.

BM texts several suicidal messages which he deletes

3:51 pm BM to SM: I am not hiding checks. Fighting about money

ETU BM to SM: Promise there was never another. Only a fool would stray from an angel like you.

ETU SM and BM evening walk -they see the housekeeper putting trash in the dumpster

Thursday 5/7

7:27 am SM messages JL about how magical past days were

ETU Continues to message him throughout the day.

ETU BM texts someone about buying a new F350

ETU BM tries to call SM’s dad

ETU MM1 & MM2 text photos from the camping trip to BM and SM

ETU MM1 sends text to BM & SM saying, “Finally got the job!”

ETU SM goes to bike shop. SB put new tires on SM’s bike.

4:43 pm SM tells BM she has been studying all day and is making veggie stew for dinner.

Evening ETU Back and forth texts between BM & GD

Friday 5/8

6:45 am BM at DSI

7:02 am SM writes list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave marriage on Notes

8:43 am SM tells BM (text?) that she will continue to help him with his invoicing

9:28 am SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally. Long text(s)

Sister tells SM she doesn’t know what to say.

ETU BM brings up the prospect of moving to AZ. SM thought this was strange.

10:02 am SM to BM - 3 minute phone call

10:55 am BM texts SM: I Love You, Suzanne

1:18 pm BM texts Colton Nebal SS&S, about getting hot tub fixed. Asks when someone can come out to the home.

2:49 pm BM texts SM: Working at job (Tailwinds)

2:49 pm SM to BM: Hey.

2:49 pm BM asks SM to stop by worksite if she can. BM told her to bring cold drink and he would show her worksite. SM told BM she was studying and planned to go on bike ride.

ETU SM went to Tailwinds worksite.

ETU SM & BM got into SM’s RR and went to Safeway and Moonlight Pizza.

6:30 pm BM & SM at Moonlight Pizza. SM took pic of BM at Moonlight Pizza and sent it to daughters via text (NoSi)

7:15 pm: SM to JL: He’s gone for a bit. Can you talk?

ETU BM works at Salida dig site (MG) UNCONFIRMED

8:50 pm SM’s FB codes reset. 23 fr sent, 20 were to men. (NoSi) ***

Part 2

Morphew Timeline for Saturday 5/9/20

12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)

2:17 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)

6:00 am BM’s phone received call (d)

7:19 am BM’s cell received signal

7:22-7:39 BM at Tailwinds worksite

8:08-9:37 am BM at CR105 worksite, (riverfront dig site)

ETU SM communicates with SO about 5/10 wedding. SM plans to attend virtually.

8:43 am SM and JL communicate about move to AZ

9:33 am SM tells BM about a house on King Gulch Trail in Salida

9:35 am SM and JL communicate via 59 LinkedIn messages

ETU SM to JL: Had a nice quiet night. Got pizza. Looked around Salida for a house for sale. Still thinking about Arizona.

9:50-11:05 am BM at Tailwinds

9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?

9:52 am SM to BM, Where? (No response)

10:00 SM asking about getting summer tires put on Range Rover

10:36 am SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?

10:48 am BM: No, coming home

10:49 am SM: Get hot tub stuff

11:00 am BM at Tail Winds property (new subdivision). BM’s Bobcat active on job sites until 11:00 am

11:11 am BM at Poncha Springs Lumber

11:14 am SM’s FB password reset (?)

11:15 am BM driving to PP

11:27 am BM at PP

11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM - (leftovers from Thursday?)

11:30 am -1:40 pm both phones at PP *** See below

11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.***

11:50 am-12:20 pm BM phone on trail going to RV park (NoSi)***

12:55 pm BM text to Justin Cribari: Home now. Give me a bit more time.

1:30 pm BM called SM (?), Tim Barrow, Justin Cribari (@NoSI)

1:38 pm BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms

1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again? He’s always gone.

1:46 pm BM on US 50 heading towards town. (East) Texts Justin Cribari: Are you around to look at backhoe?

1:51pm BM in F350 pulling trailer with Bobcat pulls into DSI. BM gets out.

2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat, (Justin Cribari?) considered buying backhoe attachment. Did not purchase.

2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.

2:05 pm Bobcat back on trailer. BM wearing blue shirt and shorts.

2:07 pm BM leaves DSI driving F350 and pulling Bobcat on trailer.

2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL, SM tells JL to go on What’s App.

2:26 pm BM calls SM 11 times

2:27 pm BM caught on Salida Auto Sales video driving F350, pulling Bobcat, heading WB on US50.

2:31 pm BM to SM: Did you leave?

2:32 pm BM caught on Shell Station video, driving F350, pulling Bobcat WB on US50. Went by Salida Stove and Spa. Why didn’t he stop then?

2:35 pm BM texts SM that he’s on the way home

2:39 pm JL texts SM: My gang is home. (No response.)

2:43:59 pm BM returned home

ETU JL sends several texts, no response

2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode

2:44-2:47 pm BM moving around outside house, BM shooting chipmunks?

2:44-4:44 pm Truck doesn’t move

ETU Late afternoon last registered call on SM’s phone.

4:44 BM truck door opens/closes

4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc

4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa (however store closes at 2 on Saturdays) *** Also, BM was not caught on Shell Station camera at this time, but was seen the following morning.

5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted ***

ETU BM alleges he and SM had a “nice” day. They ate veggie soup out in the sun. They had sex, had dinner together, (even though only one plate was found in the d/w, and “they put their phones away”? Hiked to Fooses that night.

8:00 pm – 9:00 pm SM’s FB account reset, fr’s sent out to mostly males ***

9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway.

9:52 pm BM’s truck driver and passenger doors open and close.

10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode.

10:18 pm – 4:32 am (5\10) BM’s phone plugged in at PP*** (d)

Part 3

Morphew Sunday 5/10/20

2:53 am SM Outgoing call on SM’s phone

3:25-3:49 am BM car door opened 4 times and closed 3 times. BM denies it was him.

3:25 am BM turned left on US50 to follow an elk. *** NoSI

3:58 am BM cell moves from home to near 225/50 where bike found***

4:00 am MG hears BM’s truck outside her home

4:22-4:23 am SM last signal from phone, quite away from home, near a park. Not connected to cell tower. (@NoSI)

4:30 am SM’s last phone ping near Poncha Springs (from Tweet)

4:31 am BM phone into airplane mode

4:32 am BM phone unplugged*** (d), contradicts BM cell at 50/225 at 3:58

ETU between 4:32 and 5:00 am BM turns west (left) on US50 because he was following an elk, should have turned east, (right) to go to Bloomfield. He turned around to go back east at Garfield Mine, CR 228 off Hwy 50.***

5:14 am BM seen on Poncha Springs Shell Station video heading EB on US50.

5:37 am BM phone off airplane mode near Johnson Village turning on 285 heading towards Denver/Bloomfield

5:38 am BM text HMD to his mom

6:56 am BM texts SM “You up? Happy Mother’s Day. I love you.”

8:10 am Car door opened at RTD bus stop in Broomfield off Hwy 36, driver and passenger door opened, stayed 1 ½ minutes - Trash Drop #1

8:12 - 8:20 am BM parks on south side of HIE away from cameras, throws things in trash. Trash Drop #2

8:25 BM drives to front of HIE, walks to room

8:38 am BM goes to room, changes into blk v neck, hiking boots, carrying different bag

8:41 am BM texts SM that he arrived: Made it. Call me.

8:52 am BM enters hotel carrying clothes, (teal and black colored), hiking boots, light blue plastic bag

9:52 am BM leaves hotel, dressed differently, carrying hiking boots and bag. (Says he brought in hiking boots because he wanted to remove laces but throw away boots.).

10:10 am BM seen on hotel camera carrying Target bag. Goes to truck, comes back empty handed.

10:11 amHe goes back to truck. He drives by wall but does not stop, goes to MacDonald’s. Forcefully pushing things in trash with both hands. Trash Drop #3

ETU BM then goes to a car wash for 2-3 minutes. BM says he was washing windshield.

ETU BM then goes to Men’s Wearhouse parking lot, spends 40 minutes. Driver & pass doors open and close multiple times. BM says he dumps tranquilizer materials. Trash Drop #4

11:10 am BM goes back to room with large notebook with messy papers

11:18 am BM calls MG and asks her to get another worker for the job

11:20 am BM calls SM. No answer

11:30 am Leaves room in a different shirt, gray t shirt, with large notebook and neat papers,

ETU BM goes to wall, puts truck in “park”, door opens and closes. He works 11-15 minutes, removed blocks/stone from wall.

12:06 pm BM calls MM1

12:27 pm BM throws away 2 bags, with camo coat, tree container, (tranquilizer material?), in dumpster at HIE. He walks across lot rather than parking near dumpster. BM walks back to hotel with hands in pocket and head down. Trash Dump #5

12:42-5:55 pm BM in room at HIE. Was in room when JR called at 5:15 pm

1:45 pm BM calls CC

2:19 pm BM calls CC

3:39 pm texts SM, asks her to call him

5:30 pm original time BM was supposed to pick up MG to go to Broomfield

5:15 pm PP neighbor Ritter calls BM

5:45 pm Ritter calls BM***

5:45 pm BM calls M Ritter***

5:46 pm Chaffee County Communications Ctr receives report of woman missing from area of 225 & Hwy 50

5:55 pm BM changed shirts again and left hotel room wearing backpack.

5:58 pm LE attempts to contact BM, no response

6:00 pm BM makes three trips in and out of hotel entrance bringing in hand tools including a shovel and rake. Asks front desk if he can leave them for his workers.

6:10 pm BM calls MG and tells her he is leaving Broomfield because of a “family emergency”. Never mentions that SM is missing

6:21 pm BM calls SM, no answer

7:21 pm BM calls SM, no answer

7:10 pm LE attempts to contact BM, no response

8:45 pm BM arrives home, ask LE if bike was found. Was “emotional”. (D)

9:37-9:40 pm BM brought into PP residence to get SM clothes for search dogs. Never looked around. Not curious.

ETU BM and GD at scene where bike found. LE asks them not to touch bike.

ETU BM and GD start walking away. LE calls BM back. Tells him he has more questions for him.

Part 4

Monday 5/11/20

1:06 AM BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”. BM told LE he and SM had a nice day together, had sex, and ate dinner. (1 plate found by LE).

1:21 am BM calls SM, no answer

ETU BM’s F350 was seized and searched

ETU SM’s RR was searched. Purse, wallet,camelback, and 2 bottle of hot tub chemicals were found inside vehicle.

ETU PP home sealed.

ETU search suspended until daylight

ETU Early am, search resumed, over 100 LE, SARS, Canine, Divers. Chaffee County FF’s not allowed to participate

ETU am SM has medical appt. re: cancer. She never showed up.

ETU am JL texts SM to wish her good luck at med appt. No response.

7:30 am BM calls MG crying. Tells her SM was abducted or a mountain lion got her. Then talks about Broomfield job.

ETU Search Warrant obtained

ETU 5\11\20 to 5/15/20 Puma Path house and grounds search.

ETU Concrete slab pour at Salida job site

ETU Evening. AM arrives in CO, meets with BM and friends to form search teams

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

ETU AM, BM on 2 different search teams. They may only search areas already searched by LE.

ETU MG, JP, AND CC return from Broomfield after receiving no tools or materials to complete the wall repair job.

ETU GD and TN approach MG and tell her if BM pays her for her time in Broomfield it will look like “hush hush” money. They remind her she has rights and she doesn’t have to turn her phone over to LE. MG tells GD and TN that she is cooperating with LE and has given them her phone.

8:00 pm BM is seen by an employee going through the trash outside the closed Poncha Market. When he is approached, he says he is looking for a bike helmet. A few minutes later he knocks on the door and explains that his wife is missing. Employees ask for a description and he writes on a piece of scrap paper: baby blue bike helmet and biking clothes. He gives no description of SM.

Thursday, May 14, 2020

SM’s helmet found approximately ½ mile west of the intersection of US50 and County Rd 225 by a search team.. It was on the EB side of US50 approximately 10 feet off the roadway.

Friday, May 15, 2020

US50 is closed between CR 225 and Monarch Pass to allow for a search by LE and SARS teams. No further evidence was found relating to SM’s disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member