CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

Okay, that makes more sense. Early on it just seemed like he was hauling it around all the time, and you're right, I probably just pictured it being pulled behind the truck as he stopped to paw the bike and ask about lions without ever asking about his wife...

Kemug, sassyblue, jakat and 9 others like this.

2. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

I really don't think he will get bail. It's not necessarily right or good, but trial judges do take into consideration the likelihood that they will be overruled. I think most judges would sleep soundly denying bail to someone accused of something as serious as murder.

Your run of the mill street violence murderers aren't getting bail. If anything I think a judge would err on the side of being careful to not treat a rich, white, upper-class defendant any differently than they'd treat a gang murderer. Which is definitely a new and positive development for the whole system.

misgrn, Diddian, TRB and 36 others like this.
  3. DizzyB

DizzyB Well-Known Member

Judge Murphy was less than complimentary about the AA. The state put on very few witnesses in comparison to what they had stated they planned on. The defense team tried to exploit witnesses testimony lack of knowledge of certain case aspects, even though it seemed to me that it was just a witness answering truthfully as to their area of expertise and investigation. The clock ran out on getting others to the stand that could have elaborated. It feels like the Judge errs on the defense side in most cases. Just my opinion.

Kittybunny, Hazelnutty, jakat and 6 others like this.
  4. NoSI

NoSI Verified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/RXN

Ok... here it goes... always wanted to use this phrase... perfect opportunity...
    Hear! Hear!

misgrn, Diddian, Ontario Mom and 38 others like this.
  5. Lilypad13

Lilypad13 Well-Known Member

Thinking positively that today will be a good day! Justice for Suzanne!!

6. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

I would happily volunteer to stand outside and hand each of them a box of tissues.

Or, as my high school calculus teacher used to say, “I’ll throw you a crying towel.” He actually had several small towels he would toss out if anyone whined about their grade or argued about a test question.

7. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think the Judge did give a lot of leeway to the Defense, but the defense ran the clock down IMO questioning the State's witnesses and even calling their own.

I think it was just their tactic to question everything and make the State's witnesses look like they hadn't done their job and to smear Suzanne's reputation also.

Kittybunny, Kemug, Diddian and 12 others like this.
  8. sk716

sk716 Well-Known Member

I really want to know about his clothes from Broomfield.

Diddian, jakat, sassyblue and 3 others like this.
  9. OldCop

OldCop Verified Law Enforcement (retired)

Thanks, @Tiff23fr. Yes, there was help from many. Would not want to try and list them for fear of leaving someone out.
    It takes a village to write a timeline. :)

misgrn, Diddian, SouthAussie and 27 others like this.
  10. OldCop

Thanks for all you do, @NoSI! You are appreciated.

misgrn, Diddian, Ontario Mom and 23 others like this.
  11. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

How are you doing? Is there a large crowd forming? Have you met some friendly people to chat to?

Sunny123, jakat, sassyblue and 9 others like this.
  12. sk716

sk716 Well-Known Member

I did the research on landfills a few threads back. Basically, they are filled in a grid pattern so you could go to the area where the truck carrying the refuse in question dropped the load, but it's there under hundreds of pounds of trash from other trucks that dumped in the same area. There have been cases where LE knew the body went into a certain grid of a landfill and they still couldn't find the body due to the seer volume of garbage.

He used commercial dumpsters for most of it and those would have been picked up by midday Monday, certainly by end of business on Tuesday.

By the time LEOs could look to Broomfield, the evidence was in the landfill.

Kemug, SouthAussie, AnnaGrace and 9 others like this.
  13. sk716

sk716 Well-Known Member

I really want the DA to put Barry on the stand and ask him why he didn't take the Bobcat to Broomfield.

jakat, sassyblue, Megnut and 7 others like this.
  14. Brubon

Brubon Well-Known Member

I am not British, but I will be GOBSMACKED if BM is not bound over for 1st degree murder of SM.

I trust Judge Murphy to hold BM accountable for the death of SM.

I trust that the pattern of exonerating poor, blundering BM will end today.

Justice for Suzanne!

MOO

15. sk716

sk716 Well-Known Member

The last time we have positive record of the Bobcat's location was Saturday when he left DSI to head home with it on the trailer.

jakat, sassyblue, Orgona and 5 others like this.
  16. CGray123

CGray123 "You become what you think about all day long."

You're right of course, that Colorado has standards for determining whether one offense is a lesser included offense of another for purposes of: 1. double jeopardy issues; 2. defense requests that the jury be instructed on a lesser included offense; and 3. prosecution requests that the jury be instructed on a lesser included offense. But the test is easier to say than to apply, as this article explains.

al66pine and jakat like this.
  17. MsKitty

MsKitty Active Member

How difficult is it to go for and hope to get a conviction of 1st degree without a body?

Kemug, al66pine, jakat and 1 other person like this.
  18. OldCop

We all originally thought he was washing his tools in the bathtub in chlorine bleach because he had used them for nefarious purposes. After the prelim, we know the tools were never brought to the room. Maybe he was washing all his clothes to get rid of that pesky forensic evidence that was on them. And then he dumped them? Or brought them home smelling clean and fresh in his dirty truck.

19. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

<snipped>
    Although murder charges without a corpse are rare, nationally, about 86 percent of no-body murder cases that go to trial result in convictions, compared to all murder cases with conviction rates of 70 percent.

US Crime, Police, Prisons & More Statistics | 2021 State of the Union

Kemug, Diddian, AnnaGrace and 10 others like this.
  20. OldCop

It takes good, strong, circumstantial evidence, a well laid out and clear presentation, and a strong and precise prosecutor. It can and has been done if it is done well.

Kemug, Diddian, SouthAussie and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.