Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t need a BAM. Just 12 jurors who can put a puzzle together (with the help of a good prosecution of course).

Except it isn't about puzzles. It's about the state proving their case beyond reasonable doubt. You really think that will happen for murder 1? And a "good prosecution"... again where my doubts come in. This prosecution isn't nearly as good as BMs bulldog team.

If Sho Sho said that she and BM were not intimately involved...how does she explain the many trips to her house which included overnighters? I know this isn't about her....but, she claims to have called in the tip line right after the 'disappearance"....and when did she meet Barry at the dumpster, exactly? Before or after Suzanne's disappearance? And where does her ex fit into this....it sounds like both of them are introducing SODDI into the mix...Why?

Don't forget- The "tip" she called in was a suspicious car in the PP area the day SM went "missing." That's not a coincidence, IMO.

Totally agree. I am a huge advocate of the US justice system for many reasons. I do think the primary weakness is the fact that we imprison more people than almost every country in the world and often it is people who cannot afford good representation. It saddens me. But I do believe that the burden is and always should be on the state to "prove" beyond a shadow of doubt that someone has committed a crime and I think it should be a rigorous bar for them. I do think Barry had means and opportunity and motive from his 30 hours of babbling so was "low hanging fruit" for LE so to speak...but prosecution has to prove to me that he did it which hasn't happened yet. I also think the AA had so so much unnecessary "content"...and quite a bit that will never see the light of day at a trial. I do think the judge was correct when he made a comment to the affect of yup yup they had a bad marriage, Suzanne had an affair, move along :) Lots of gossip worthy "stuff" in the AA for all of us curious folk.
SBM for space
Re BBM
I saw you mentioning this a few times.
English is obviously not my mother tongue but to me proving something beyond the shadow of doubt is only possible if I saw it happening with my own eyes, which isn’t possible for any Jury as in that case they would be witnesses.

The Jury needs to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt which to me means something different.
In my eyes this means that after the facts presented by the prosecution and defense, and after careful consideration of those, the most reasonable and logical inference is the defendant did what (s)he is charged with.

Although, this could just be a language thing.

Except it isn't about puzzles. It's about the state proving their case beyond reasonable doubt. You really think that will happen for murder 1? And a "good prosecution"... again where my doubts come in. This prosecution isn't nearly as good as BMs bulldog team.
That's the thing Donthe Lucas didn't have that Barry does, a good defense team.

As @MassGuy has said, there really is nobody else who could have done this. Everything points towards Barry.

However, I’m really not comfortable with the amount of excess info that didn’t need to be included in the AA, and generally how the whole document was structured. Some of the content just wasn’t needed, and is a distraction from the task at hand (proving BM killed SM).

I wish the document had been better structured, with a flow of sorts, a backstory building up to the fateful day of May 9th, and then happenings thereafter.

I can only hope that the prosecution present their case more clearly at trial, without “bitting and bobbing” around like the info presented in the AA, with more focus on the main details that prove to us that he must have killed her, with less focus on all of the other stuff.

I’ve seen one particular sleuther present the information far better than the prosecution, which alone would have been enough to convince a jury IMO, without all of the distractions that do nothing but prove that he was a jerk, pervert and lousy husband.

All MOO.
I think this AA was put together sooner than LE had planned on because it looked like BM was about to take off. When you first start to put a case together and look towards the official affidavit, you begin with a bulleted list of your facts. You may have “sections” such as LE reports, Interviews, Forensic Evidence, etc. At first these pieces are disjointed, you are just trying to get the important facts on paper. You are constantly shaping and molding it. This allows you to see where there are holes in your case, where things need to be tightened up. When you are ready to make the arrest with the best case possible, you present your finalized, edited, factual affidavit.
I think LE was nearing this point, but were still following up on evidence and leads, and were certainly hoping to find SM’s remains. I do think they believed they had enough at that point, but would have liked to have more. When it looked like BM was bailing, they decided to move in. MOO

How is his Bobcat obviously used in the crime?

Replaced. Three dog hits. Footprints.

Sim card?

Tell me he didn't swap Sim cards to get away with murder.

JMO
Yeah one would think that Bobcat is involved and he's so secretive about it, "mechanical thing with my Bobcat" so vague, his wife is missing and that's the best he can elaborate to?

Last edited:
If Barry had lawyered up immediately, he never would have been arrested. But he is too much of a narcissist and control freak and concerned about controlling the narrative and image management. That said, I am underwhelmed by the actual evidence. There is too much in there about him being a terrible person, which we already knew. If he goes down for this it will be because of his own careless words though. Example: We had a perfect evening because she wasn't drunk, then later: she looks drunk in the selfie... He is all over the place in his statements. The question will be whether that is enough to convict.

A great majority of posters on WB appear to believe that Barry is guilty. The jurors will have access, in general, to same information that we in WS have seen or read. Why wouldn’t the jurors find him guilty?

I wonder what Barry's first night out of jail was like?

I imagine he and his supporters sitting around a table, eating steak from a single plate (slathered in grilled peanut butter), as he regales them of his jail exploits, and being an all around tough guy.

I imagine he'll go on and on about how his faith kept him going, and then cleanly segue into discussing his daughter's virginity, as one does at the dinner table.

Seriously though, I hope he enjoys it. There's only so many of these days left.
View attachment 313725
You have such a way with words, very funny

A great majority of posters on WB appear to believe that Barry is guilty. The jurors will have access, in general, to same information that we in WS have seen or read. Why wouldn’t the jurors find him guilty?
Because as the judge said there's one of three things that happened to Suzanne and premeditation evidence is non existent. The prosecution is going to have to disprove the other 2 and prove premeditation.

Is that Freudian slip or misdirection? One must wonder...

Redirection, IMO. Just like the mines. I believe he buried her under a tree. I think he prepared the spot on Friday 5/8.
He was "acting weird" at work Saturday morning (according to MG, although not mentioned in the AA) because he knew he was pulling the trigger on a plan he'd been concocting for awhile.

Question: Are infographics allowed in the courtroom? I think a timeline of SM's activity vs BM's activity would be useful, particularly for May 9. I'm pretty sure a gifted infographics person could present things in an impactful, memorable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah