Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall some homicide cases being turned "upside down" (h/t to Keith M, "Granddaddy of True Crime" * ;):D:rolleyes:& Dateline) w clue related to a storage unit rented by the perp.

If there's been any mention of BM or fam renting a storage unit/locker, I've missed or forgotten it.
Anyone remember?

How Dateline's Keith Morrison Became the Grandaddy of True Crime
There was a hearing that we were able to view/listen to through WebEx ( where we first heard IE mention spy pen recordings). Anyway, she was addressing items in Discovery that Defense had not received/couldn’t access, etc and I distinctly remember her saying something about search warrants on storage unit or units .
JMO

There was a hearing that we were able to view/listen to through WebEx ( where we first heard IE mention spy pen recordings). Anyway, she was addressing items in Discovery that Defense had not received/couldn’t access, etc and I distinctly remember her saying something about search warrants on storage unit or units .
JMO
@Cindizzi

thank you very much. I hope LE found something, just not mentioned yet.

Really sorry for my post, but it's playing on my mind.

Suzanne's clothing, when they find her, and I do think she will be found one day (I really want her to be able to go home to her friends and family, can't bear the thought of her being alone and left out in the cold, dumped, just lying there under a rock/tree/alfalfa :()
What will she be wearing, if any evidence of clothing left? How much was thought about/ planned, BM had a LONG time to think about this from 2.48pm to 4.30am (ish) - will she be in biking clothing, just in case she was found, will she be in white vest top and shorts or something else?

I think we need to think hard about what Suzanne was doing, thinking, wearing, anticipating from 2:11 to 2:47.

I struggle to keep straight where Barry was and where Suzanne may have believed him to be for those minutes...

I don't think they ever shared any soup that day.

I think Suzanne may have ignored messages and calls from Barry, but I think it's more likely she was preoccupied... or using a separate device, maybe so she could charge her phone. (I think the fact that her cable is also missing suggests mightily that her phone and cable were together.)

Suzanne WAS sunning. LE knows the timestamp both of when the photo was taken and when sent, whether in succession or delayed.

Believing she was alone (and Barry was at work? Certainly not dead turkey hunting or death row chipmunk hunting in the backyard), I believe Suzanne moved indoors. Wrapped in a brown towel. Leaving her phone in the kitchen to charge (in anticipation of an afternoon bike ride). Relocated to the bedroom, locking the door for privacy, to spend time playing adult show-and-tell with JL.... Or if my data points are off, she went inside afterwards but same effect. When was the "I'm on wa [what's app]" message happen?

Inside, while Barry was changing the blade on his Bobcat (whyyyyyyyyy did he do it THAT DAY), I think Suzaane changed out of her bikini and hung it up and changed into her biking clothes in order to go biking.

When Barry got home at 2:43, he barreled out of his truck, left the door open. He may have filled the dart and loaded it into his. 22 or a soon-to-be-dumpstered one, pocketing the unchambered round and syringe/sheath cap.

Then moved in a pattern to the patio where Suzanne HAD been sunbathing. Not finding her there, I think he ninja'd to the second patio, not finding her there either. Now peering through windows. 3 minutes. 180 seconds of raw purpose, not coincidentally THE ONLY THREE MINUTES Barry EVER searched for his wife.

Driveway, breezeway, yard, patio #1, patio #2, window, window, window, then inside. Bet it DID look like he was morphing between walls. Morphewing. Until he DID go through a wall, namely the door to the bedroom, shoulder first....

I want to know ... when did Suzanne bike last. When was her bike last mounted on her RR? Barry said be took it down for her "because she asked him to" (doubt it). If Suzanne went for short bike rides nearly daily, why would she want her bike garaged? Did she ride on Thursday (before or after Scot looked at it)? Did she ride on Friday? Was it on the RR when she went to the neighbors' for coffee? Or did Barry actually and legitimately remove it Friday night, for the pizza run?

Did Suzanne routinely store her camelback in the RR? When did she clean it? When did she fill it?

Suzanne's wadded bike shorts and gloves bother me. Suzanne, I believe hung up her swimsuit because that's how she does things. So.... her bike shorts were either from a previous ride (before 5/9) and she just stepped over them TO HANG UP A BIKINI or IMO she was wearing them when Barry got home....

And HE removed them. Forcibly.

(LMy suppositions: Suzanne hangs up her clothes. Including things she's recently worn. Suzanne and JL were done bumping screens. Suzanne thought she had the rest of her day and life ahead of her. Suzanne may have been gearing up for her daily ride. Suzanne may have started a load of laundry (M2's sheets) (unless Barry had help from, say a cleaning lady... one who might even have been able to write a compelling to-do list, not in Suzanne's perfect penmanship, as attested by the love notes Barry shared, but in a convincing feminine hand, same as the odd rolladex of names and numbers found in Suzanne's helmet).

Anyway, if Suzanne did laundry (the sheets), why didn't she throw in her bike shorts? And if she'd worn them, but not long enough to warrant washing (like her bikini), wouldn't she have hung them up (like her bikini?)

(We have not learned when the house cameras were disabled.... we only know that LE believes Barry disabled/removed his trail cameras during his alleged soup eating time.) Possibly Barry disabled the camera at 2:43... but whichever time, I think he may have touched those cables with something of Suzanne's, in particular something she shared with her daughter, transferring their DNA to the cables and to the syringe cap, using the same article to handle the dart.

(Alternately Suzanne was READY to go biking, reconsidered. And changed out of her bike gear in favor of the bikini. And later, into the white shorts and white string shirt. Because those must be missing. Barry seems unclear about the lump -- his word, not mine -- and what the lump was wearing. Nothing. Something. Biking clothes. White shorts, white string top. The truth is there in the details somewhere!)

Keep whispering, Suzanne. We all want to find you --

The mountains don't always give up their secrets but Suzanne, she wanted transparency.... may it all become clear....

JMO

Last edited:
My assumption at the time was that Barry was staying with his friend GD. No idea how close or far away that was from PP. I’m sure my own perceptions played into that-I would have been much more comfortable bunking with my buddy’s family than the neighbor. I guess staying right at the neighbor’s house would keep me very close to what was being told to LE. I have to go back in my thought process now and rethink those early days of the investigation.
From the Daily Mail article of 5/20/20 quoting FF Tim Nelson:
George [Davis] put together a search team of friends – I was going to go but pretty much all our fire guys are on it so I decided to step away just in case we get something [a fire].

Barry was very understanding from what I got from George. I know he’s not allowed to go home. He’s at a neighbor’s. I guess they got him there until he’s cleared or…’

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

And from CrimeOnlinem
The fire chief has not had direct contact with Barry Morphew since Suzanne disappeared, but has spoken to firefighters who have. He said that Barry is staying with a friend in the area, “pacing around, staring out windows,” hoping for information about his wife. The friend is not a member of the fire department, Bertram said, though some Chaffee County firefighters have seen Barry at the friend’s home since the investigation began.
‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

These articles seem to corroborate AM’s statement.
To answer your question, GD’s house is approximately 3 miles from PP.

JMO

@DizzyB mentioned the storage unit in thread #64 while we were listening and etching the WebEx.

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #64 *ARREST*

JMO

I recall this as well. I believe the Defense alluded to the storage unit(s) on the second day of the PR.

I'll see if I can find our wonderful @NoSI 's write-up, and post the relevant info. here.

JMVHO.

Breaking!

Just heard Mike on Profiling Evil announce that SDs hearing has been postponed until a later date. SD has informed the court that she has the covid virus.
Well that’s interesting. Also odd that it came out, since privacy laws are pretty strict. I guess she isn’t feeling well enough for the virtual hearing. I am going out on a limb here and am assuming that Barry was exposed. If I were Linda Stanley I’d have an eye on him cause I doubt he would quarantine.

Well that’s interesting. Also odd that it came out, since privacy laws are pretty strict. I guess she isn’t feeling well enough for the virtual hearing. I am going out on a limb here and am assuming that Barry was exposed. If I were Linda Stanley I’d have an eye on him cause I doubt he would quarantine.

It would be ironic if Barry were to lose some freedom for a short term and end up on an unintended house arrest (quarantine), as so many of us have in the past 18 months.

JMO

I would think that the majority of the contents of the PP house at the time of Suzanne's disappearance are in a storage unit in Chaffee County. Barry buried anything he didn't want to move from IN to CO in the front yard, so I don't get the feeling that Barry is the kind of guy willing to pay for extra storage when he already had a big house. He kept everything he used for the disappearance in the garage and driveway. The condo wasn't big enough to hold all of his antlers, so I can see him getting a storage unit until he bought a new house.

I think we need to think hard about what Suzanne was doing, thinking, wearing, anticipating from 2:11 to 2:47.

I struggle to keep straight where Barry was and where Suzanne may have believed him to be for those minutes...

I don't think they ever shared any soup that day.

I think Suzanne may have ignored messages and calls from Barry, but I think it's more likely she was preoccupied... or using a separate device, maybe so she could charge her phone. (I think the fact that her cable is also missing suggests mightily that her phone and cable were together.)

Suzanne WAS sunning. LE knows the timestamp both of when the photo was taken and when sent, whether in succession or delayed.

Believing she was alone (and Barry was at work? Certainly not dead turkey hunting or death row chipmunk hunting in the backyard), I believe Suzanne moved indoors. Wrapped in a brown towel. Leaving her phone in the kitchen to charge (in anticipation of an afternoon bike ride). Relocated to the bedroom, locking the door for privacy, to spend time playing adult show-and-tell with JL.... Or if my data points are off, she went inside afterwards but same effect. When was the "I'm on wa [what's app]" message happen?

Inside, while Barry was changing the blade on his Bobcat (whyyyyyyyyy did he do it THAT DAY), I think Suzaane changed out of her bikini and hung it up and changed into her biking clothes in order to go biking.

When Barry got home at 2:43, he barreled out of his truck, left the door open. He may have filled the dart and loaded it into his. 22 or a soon-to-be-dumpstered one, pocketing the unchambered round and syringe/sheath cap.

Then moved in a pattern to the patio where Suzanne HAD been sunbathing. Not finding her there, I think he ninja'd to the second patio, not finding her there either. Now peering through windows. 3 minutes. 180 seconds of raw purpose, not coincidentally THE ONLY THREE MINUTES Barry EVER searched for his wife.

Driveway, breezeway, yard, patio #1, patio #2, window, window, window, then inside. Bet it DID look like he was morphing between walls. Morphewing. Until he DID go through a wall, namely the door to the bedroom, shoulder first....

I want to know ... when did Suzanne bike last. When was her bike last mounted on her RR? Barry said be took it down for her "because she asked him to" (doubt it). If Suzanne went for short bike rides nearly daily, why would she want her bike garaged? Did she ride on Thursday (before or after Scot looked at it)? Did she ride on Friday? Was it on the RR when she went to the neighbors' for coffee? Or did Barry actually and legitimately remove it Friday night, for the pizza run?

Did Suzanne routinely store her camelback in the RR? When did she clean it? When did she fill it?

Suzanne's wadded bike shorts and gloves bother me. Suzanne, I believe hung up her swimsuit because that's how she does things. So.... her bike shorts were either from a previous ride (before 5/9) and she just stepped over them TO HANG UP A BIKINI or IMO she was wearing them when Barry got home....

And HE removed them. Forcibly.

(LMy suppositions: Suzanne hangs up her clothes. Including things she's recently worn. Suzanne and JL were done bumping screens. Suzanne thought she had the rest of her day and life ahead of her. Suzanne may have been gearing up for her daily ride. Suzanne may have started a load of laundry (M2's sheets) (unless Barry had help from, say a cleaning lady... one who might even have been able to write a compelling to-do list, not in Suzanne's perfect penmanship, as attested by the love notes Barry shared, but in a convincing feminine hand, same as the odd rolladex of names and numbers found in Suzanne's helmet).

Anyway, if Suzanne did laundry (the sheets), why didn't she throw in her bike shorts? And if she'd worn them, but not long enough to warrant washing (like her bikini), wouldn't she have hung them up (like her bikini?)

(We have not learned when the house cameras were disabled.... we only know that LE believes Barry disabled/removed his trail cameras during his alleged soup eating time.) Possibly Barry disabled the camera at 2:43... but whichever time, I think he may have touched those cables with something of Suzanne's, in particular something she shared with her daughter, transferring their DNA to the cables and to the syringe cap, using the same article to handle the dart.

(Alternately Suzanne was READY to go biking, reconsidered. And changed out of her bike gear in favor of the bikini. And later, into the white shorts and white string shirt. Because those must be missing. Barry seems unclear about the lump -- his word, not mine -- and what the lump was wearing. Nothing. Something. Biking clothes. White shorts, white string top. The truth is there in the details somewhere!)

Keep whispering, Suzanne. We all want to find you --

The mountains don't always give up their secrets but Suzanne, she wanted transparency.... may it all become clear....

JMO

I like how you're thinking. I too have questions about the Camelbak, maybe there are water fountains/sources at the trails she preferred to use? They have parking lots and seemed to be attached to larger state/national parks.

I know the gloves were wadded up in the closet floor (several of us believe that was Barry having used them for something to leave her DNA behind) I'm not remembering any wadded shorts, but stuff gets lost in my head.

I believe the "unchambered" round is the one that ended up on the bedroom floor.

On the note in the bike helmet, that is a common thing in the mountain biking world. Should you have a bad accident, EMTs/anybody who happens along can contact your family. I agree that SM probably left her bike on the RR if she wasn't going anywhere. I'm not clear on the model, some of those mountain bikes can get super pricey, if it was a higher end one she probably took it off to go grocery shopping, but being COVID nobody was going much of anywhere.

I do not believe that Suzanne planned on a ride on May 9 (or 10th for that matter), the girls were coming home the next day and she would want to get stuff around the house ready. They were an for-appearances household and MM1s bff was with them. She was doing Barry's business books during all of this, too.

I also think Barry sexually assaulted her before she died. He was just so obsessed with the idea of her being molested by her abductor.

Barry Morphew, walking super spreader!

Would the court ask for evidence that she has Covid?

I can see Barry's lawyers making the argument that the ankle bracelet is in fact working as it needs to be. That is, if Barry leaves the county, then the ankle bracelet will be in a serviceable area and will detect that he is not where he is supposed to be....so, there is nothing to see here. That is the angle I would expect them to use. Just like "We're done" ...drinking coffee.
But we don't know if he will leave the county through an area that is serviceable. What if he takes back roads in a rural area?

Also, if he is in a non-serviceable area, can he more easily remove the ankle monitor? Doing so would allow him to leave the county, without anyone knowing. They would just think they weren't getting any GPS alerts because he was at home, with no service.

Meanwhile he could be in the next county on a bus out of state.

Last edited:
Would the court ask for evidence that she has Covid?
I don’t know if they need proof of a positive diagnosis, but I’m pretty sure she’s going to need proof of a negative test after self quarantine for 2 weeks. JMO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user... Functions during Pandemic Eighth Amended.pdf

In person hearing for PRO was scheduled for 10/4, then 10/7 and now it’s 10/18.
Virtual hearing for Trespassing charge looks to still be on the docket for 10/13.

Attachments

• E9001ECC-AC21-4C39-B2E7-1B95FC661553.png
    E9001ECC-AC21-4C39-B2E7-1B95FC661553.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics