Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM that's the $64,000 question, my friend. We're stumped.

MM2s Range Rover was on site and was an older model that did not have GPS. However, both RRs were seized and searched. LE would have looked for all of the available vehicles on the cameras. It would have been possible to take the older RR up to Garfield, but Barry made a really big deal about the Garfield mines so we know she's not up there.

Chances are much better that she is in a shaft on Pahlone behind the house. Google Earth

What we know for certain is there is no blood evidence on the three pieces of land Barry was on in the 24 hours prior, nor any blood evidence anywhere. We have no reason to believe that the Broomfield hotel room was not swabbed.

Is it known, where MM1's car was? At her home in Gunnison?

OK - so did some googling (85 threads is too much to read back lol!)

I see @MassGuy has the theory that he disposes of the body at a pre-prepped site - likely in the early evening? But because he has reset the truck telematics somehow - we can't see that trip

She could well have been transported in the tree planter and all the evidence of the digging etc is in the bins

Then he still needs to leave early before SM 'wakes up"

There were about 50 minutes from the time he pulled the truck into the garage until he disconnected the battery.

The way these data files work is painfully simple which is why they are kind of hard to muck with unless you have a lot of very difficult to get tools. Modern cars are very simple computers. You know those hundreds of files that pile up in your computers temp folder? Think about the truck data the same way. Every single thing that happens on your computer is logged, whether you initiated it, software initiated it, or a hacker initiated it, it gets logged as simple lines of codes which would look like gibberish to anybody who could even manage to open the log without the proper tools. That's what telematics are at their most basic, hundreds of log files for every micro action the vehicle makes. Part of it is the codes that the little computers they plug into your dash read to clear the maintenance required light.

What Barry did with the disconnect was essentially log his truck out of all of the apps connected to his phone and truck. I think he thought this would kill all of the GPS, but we can see based on the moving of the truck that it did not. If he had moved the F-350, I think it would have appeared in the logs.

I want to add on the telematics that the reports we do see will be heavily edited because they really will log everything, like the oil pressure, water temperature, fuel efficiency, seat belts engaged, if the fan belt is having an existential crisis, if we're talking heated seats that's going to be there too. The more bells and whistles a vehicle has, the longer these logs get.

I think he parked in the garage when he got home at 14:44, with the trailer still attached, and left his door open.

From page 71 of the AA when Barry is telling Grusing about how he walks around the house and shoots chipmunks:
SA Grusing told Barry that activity would explain his phone's behavior, adding that he left his driver door open in the garage before he went to the first patio.

He waited until 16:44 (2 hours) to close the door (for the first time). IMO.
bbm red
Who in his right mind does his truck park in the garage, if the trailer is still coupled and if there is enough space to park differently. Only someone, who planned nasty things to do secretly, IMO. Unseen, in the garage or from there.

ETA:
For your understanding, I imagine the truck in the garage, while the trailer doesn't quite fit into the garage. I may be wrong.

Last edited:
There were about 50 minutes from the time he pulled the truck into the garage until he disconnected the battery.

The way these data files work is painfully simple which is why they are kind of hard to muck with unless you have a lot of very difficult to get tools. Modern cars are very simple computers. You know those hundreds of files that pile up in your computers temp folder? Think about the truck data the same way. Every single thing that happens on your computer is logged, whether you initiated it, software initiated it, or a hacker initiated it, it gets logged as simple lines of codes which would look like gibberish to anybody who could even manage to open the log without the proper tools. That's what telematics are at their most basic, hundreds of log files for every micro action the vehicle makes. Part of it is the codes that the little computers they plug into your dash read to clear the maintenance required light.

What Barry did with the disconnect was essentially log his truck out of all of the apps connected to his phone and truck. I think he thought this would kill all of the GPS, but we can see based on the moving of the truck that it did not. If he had moved the F-350, I think it would have appeared in the logs.

This is what I was wondering about. How would the disconnect help him, unless he found a way to temporarily disconnect only the telematics "hardware/software" from the power?

But is that even possible?

Does the truck has its own separate GPS? Maybe he was able to disable that temporarily?

I want to add on the telematics that the reports we do see will be heavily edited because they really will log everything, like the oil pressure, water temperature, fuel efficiency, seat belts engaged, if the fan belt is having an existential crisis, if we're talking heated seats that's going to be there too. The more bells and whistles a vehicle has, the longer these logs get.

yes - i get it - so this is core software and sensor data - not something BM can easily muck about with.

Also - even if he could turn off the GPS - all his other data would be logged - so it would be clear that the vehicle was driven.

I guess we can forget the idea the 350 was used for a body disposal run then?

But how else can he have got this done?

Last edited:
OK - interesting.

My only thought on this is that if he pre-planned disposal, i suspect she is not too close by - otherwise dogs might find her? Not sure how far those mine shafts are

A prepared grave could be very hard to find - especially in shingle etc where you won't leave signs of fresh spoil?

The dogs didn't go up the mountains. The search area consisted of US-50 from Poncha Springs to almost Garfield only a hundred yards or so on either side. The dam area on the river and Fooses were both searched, I'm not sure they searched the reservoir, but I think they did. Necrosearch had cadaver dogs at the rock beach site and at Puma Path.

I gravitate toward Pahlone Peak as Suzanne's current resting place because it's relatively inaccessible to hikers and bikers. A body is much less likely to be found on Pahlone than any of the other nearby mountains. The others are covered in hiking, biking, and skiing. Barry can't risk anyone finding her and he moved back to the scene of the crime.

He has the equipment and the skills to take her up the mountain, drop her in a shaft and plug it with a boulder. Barry loves him some boulders.

I have no doubt in my mind that he can see her from the Cushman property.

yes - i get it - so this is core software and sensor data - not something BM can easily muck about with.

Also - even if he could turn off the GPS - all his other data would be logged - so it would be clear that the vehicle was driven.

I guess we can forget the idea the 350 was used for a body disposal run then?

Bit how else can he have got this done?

Barry and his Bobcat have a very special relationship.

Just had a thought-- is there something BM could've been doing in his garage that would've drained his battery? Is it possible he didn't disconnect it, but killed it? Could he have been running something off it? Using it as a generator?

Something he didn't want his home electrical usage to register? I suppose though that might've come back in telematics.

Maybe he need the battery for something else? Dead ATV? Not necessarily his own....

Maybe he didn't disconnect to reset as much as disconnect to borrow?

He may have had access to any number of vehicles from neighboring properties, neighbors entirely unaware.

That gives him, by my count, from roughly 5pm until 10pm with a fresh battery and someone else's dead vehicle.... which also means he could've pulled his trailer....

JMO

The dogs didn't go up the mountains. The search area consisted of US-50 from Poncha Springs to almost Garfield only a hundred yards or so on either side. The dam area on the river and Fooses were both searched, I'm not sure they searched the reservoir, but I think they did. Necrosearch had cadaver dogs at the rock beach site and at Puma Path.

I gravitate toward Pahlone Peak as Suzanne's current resting place because it's relatively inaccessible to hikers and bikers. A body is much less likely to be found on Pahlone than any of the other nearby mountains. The others are covered in hiking, biking, and skiing. Barry can't risk anyone finding her and he moved back to the scene of the crime.

He has the equipment and the skills to take her up the mountain, drop her in a shaft and plug it with a boulder. Barry loves him some boulders.

bbm
BUT he didn't know at the time of murder/disposing, that he ever would be living at Cushmans. I think, he planned to sell the PP home to get away from that spot and of course get the money.
I can imagine, he buried her at some special place, where he unobtrusively can visit her, preferably with his daughters and his next (poor) wife. Beautiful view, some trees, old mineshafts, some boulders, a great feeling of freedom (after so much stress of being a husband to SM) .... ;)

Last edited:
Here are some options that BM *may* have used for disposal of SM. Some have already been discussed and there’s likely a number of other possibilities, but these are the ones I’ve mostly pondered about in no specific order:

1.) borrowed a vehicle and/or other type of machinery/equipment (Bobcat) from construction site (keys left in vehicles/machines overnight or he had access to spare keys), disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole, returned the vehicle/machine to site after mission accomplished
2.) used MM2’s non-GPS RR, disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
3.) used an ATV or some other type of off-road mode of transportation, his or another he possibly had access to, disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
4.) carried SM over shoulder, hiked to spot and disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
5.) submerged SM in cooler weighted down with concrete into the creek/river
6.) used a burner phone and called for help and/or pre-planned with someone to use/borrow their vehicle, disposed of SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole

Option #6 is lowest on my list of possibilities as I don’t think BM involved anyone else in the actual commission of crime or the disposal of SM. But there is mention of another device in the AA that ‘hooked up/synced’ (not sure of the correct terminology atm) with BM’s i-phone which the authorities hadn’t located or figured out as of the writing of the AA. The mysterious device makes me wonder about burner phone and if he had assistance that night (5/9) with the disposal. Low on my list but not completely out of the question of possibilities.

As far as Option #1- Around where I live, some of the construction sites have all kinds of construction vehicles mostly trucks that they drive back and forth to dispose of construction materials etc. Most of the machines/equipment and trucks sit all weekend without moving until the work week starts up again. I’ve wondered if keys are left inside these vehicles and/or possibly the workers working at the site have spare keys for easy access to the vehicles and machines/equipment. someone could come in middle of night, use vehicle/machine, return it to the site and no one the wiser.

Also I personally haven’t ruled out possibility that SM’s remains were moved/transported at some point and buried in Indiana!

Continuing to pray for a miracle and hope Suzanne is found soon!!

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I wonder if the second device could have been some kind of mifi device? Or -- could it have been SM's phone? MOO

Speculative timeline

Wednesday 5/6. Barry goes for a walk. But it's not with Suzanne. Tells Suzanne he was checking on his deer/dear. Genesis of line item about his zipper. Last straw.

5/9

11:30 - 1 pm, removing trail cams, no veggie soup

1:30- 2:30 runs his odd errands. Blade repair, eyeballs on the backhoe, spa

2:44 - 2:47 searching for Suzanne

2:46/7 Barry is in kitchen, sees Suzanne's phone on counter charging, it reminds him to put phone in airplane mode.

2:47 Barry reaches bedroom door

2:47 - 4/5. Incapacitating Suzanne. Close enough for scratches. Barry's shorts come off, bullet falls bedside

4/5 on foot Barry accesses another vehicle, from a neighboring garage, perhaps a vehicle that's been stored, not driven in a long time, possibly not drivable. Barry returns to PP and removes the battery from his truck.

Now Barry has a vehicle, he may be using his trailer, he may be using his Bobcat (he may be using the SIM cars from the backhoe visit). Now he is free to drive left where there are no cameras until Monarch. (His biggest mistake may have been in driving back up that way the following morning, maybe he needed to confirm something. )

By 10 he is back home, in time to grill a steak, burn a journal, make half a cup of coffee.... unless.... unless he burned her journal and had the steak while Suzanne snored lightly... and he took her on that final hike between 10 and 3, not 5 and 10. Either way, he had lots of time.

I wonder if LE was able to take a really close look at all vehicles within hiking distance on 5/9.

In particular any that weren't running at the time.

JMO

Here are some options that BM *may* have used for disposal of SM. Some have already been discussed and there’s likely a number of other possibilities, but these are the ones I’ve mostly pondered about in no specific order:

1.) borrowed a vehicle and/or other type of machinery/equipment (Bobcat) from construction site (keys left in vehicles/machines overnight or he had access to spare keys), disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole, returned the vehicle/machine to site after mission accomplished
2.) used MM2’s non-GPS RR, disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
3.) used an ATV or some other type of off-road mode of transportation, his or another he possibly had access to, disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
4.) carried SM over shoulder, hiked to spot and disposed SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole
5.) submerged SM in cooler weighted down with concrete into the creek/river
6.) used a burner phone and called for help and/or pre-planned with someone to use/borrow their vehicle, disposed of SM in mineshaft or pre-dug hole

Option #6 is lowest on my list of possibilities as I don’t think BM involved anyone else in the actual commission of crime or the disposal of SM. But there is mention of another device in the AA that ‘hooked up/synced’ (not sure of the correct terminology atm) with BM’s i-phone which the authorities hadn’t located or figured out as of the writing of the AA. The mysterious device makes me wonder about burner phone and if he had assistance that night (5/9) with the disposal. Low on my list but not completely out of the question of possibilities.

As far as Option #1- Around where I live, some of the construction sites have all kinds of construction vehicles mostly trucks that they drive back and forth to dispose of construction materials etc. Most of the machines/equipment and trucks sit all weekend without moving until the work week starts up again. I’ve wondered if keys are left inside these vehicles and/or possibly the workers working at the site have spare keys for easy access to the vehicles and machines/equipment. someone could come in middle of night, use vehicle/machine, return it to the site and no one the wiser.

Also I personally haven’t ruled out possibility that SM’s remains were moved/transported at some point and buried in Indiana!

Continuing to pray for a miracle and hope Suzanne is found soon!!

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

#5 doesn't work unless he dumped the coolers in another river on the way up to Broomfield. The South Arkansas is too shallow and rocky and there is a dam just east of the Monarch Spur campground that was dive searched. I believe his route to Broomfield included crossing the Arkansas, but she's still pretty shallow in Colorado. You need to be into Oklahoma before you can dump something into the Arkansas and feel confident it's going to make it down to the Gulf.

The unidentified device texted Barry's phone at 3:43:44 PM MST on May 8th. It connected on several occasions, though. So what was Barry doing at 4pm on Friday?

Honestly, the longer I puzzle over it, the more I think the coolers went to some other purpose. It's Barry so probably nefarious, but ... there's no blood evidence. Anywhere. How could he have chopped her up and put her in coolers if four days of swabbing every inch of the house turned up nothing?

It's like we're stuck watching the worst written episode of Criminal Minds ever where the killer is both a super-genius and a complete moron.

Speculative timeline

Wednesday 5/6. Barry goes for a walk. But it's not with Suzanne. Tells Suzanne he was checking on his deer/dear. Genesis of line item about his zipper. Last straw.

5/9

11:30 - 1 pm, removing trail cams, no veggie soup

1:30- 2:30 runs his odd errands. Blade repair, eyeballs on the backhoe, spa

2:44 - 2:47 searching for Suzanne

2:46/7 Barry is in kitchen, sees Suzanne's phone on counter charging, it reminds him to put phone in airplane mode.

2:47 Barry reaches bedroom door

2:47 - 4/5. Incapacitating Suzanne. Close enough for scratches. Barry's shorts come off, bullet falls bedside

4/5 on foot Barry accesses another vehicle, from a neighboring garage, perhaps a vehicle that's been stored, not driven in a long time, possibly not drivable. Barry returns to PP and removes the battery from his truck.

Now Barry has a vehicle, he may be using his trailer, he may be using his Bobcat (he may be using the SIM cars from the backhoe visit). Now he is free to drive left where there are no cameras until Monarch. (His biggest mistake may have been in driving back up that way the following morning, maybe he needed to confirm something. )

By 10 he is back home, in time to grill a steak, burn a journal, make half a cup of coffee.... unless.... unless he burned her journal and had the steak while Suzanne snored lightly... and he took her on that final hike between 10 and 3, not 5 and 10. Either way, he had lots of time.

I wonder if LE was able to take a really close look at all vehicles within hiking distance on 5/9.

In particular any that weren't running at the time.

JMO

He was texting someone on the 7th about getting a new truck. https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1425180902745858048

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123