Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
RSBM
@Curiousobserver .. Thanks! You definitely have a handle on this and I appreciate your posts. The more I read to understand this DNA business the more confused I get. It seems to moving as fast as our technology, something different every day.

Taking a leap here based on so many "perceived error" accusations directed at the DA's office. I'll bet in the end it's "Sheath' not sheets. Up until now they have not bothered to set the record or correct anything in MSM or on SM that is clearly wrong.
Exactly! And seems these allegations of such critical nature such as DNA on the sheets would have at least had honorable mention during the multi-day prelim. o_O

DellaC

Reaction score
During the PH, did one of the LE folks testify that the Bobcat had been active on May 9? I scanned through the PH transcripts available in YT videos, but I didn't see anything. I feel sure I read here where something along this line was stated. Also, do we know for a fact that the Bobcat did NOT move once it returned to the PP house and was unloaded from the trailer on the afternoon of May 9?

O.Incandenza

Reaction score
Per the AA, the Skidsteer or Bobcat utilizes VerizonConnect services and is a GPS device. Under warrant, the SIM card from the Bobcat was removed and analyzed-- resulting in the following statement on page 41:

"At present, Barry's use of the Bobcat does not appear to be connected to Suzanne's disappearance."

While I don't think anybody misspoke about the bobcat not being connected, I agree this statement leaves the door open for future information and/or evidence.
SBM
Yeah, the implication from the AA is definitely that the GPS evidence that they recovered and analyzed indicated that the Bobcat was not used in the disposal of Suzanne's body. I say that because it's mentioned immediately before the conclusion that the bobcat is not connected to the disappearance, and because nothing else in the AA would lead you to that conclusion. It's also worth noting that in at least one other situation where they hadn't fully processed the location data for a vehicle, they said so explicitly ("On April 29, 2021, SA Grusing advised that the results of the examination by the FBI's technology division for the 2015 Range Rover have not been completed.").

So, while it's still possible that they'll figure out they were mistaken and that BM somehow managed to hide the movements of the bobcat on the 9th, I'd say the odds are pretty strongly against it having been used in disposing of SM that day.

DeDee

Reaction score
During the PH, did one of the LE folks testify that the Bobcat had been active on May 9? I scanned through the PH transcripts available in YT videos, but I didn't see anything. I feel sure I read here where something along this line was stated. Also, do we know for a fact that the Bobcat did NOT move once it returned to the PP house and was unloaded from the trailer on the afternoon of May 9?

Here's the very busy Bobcat statement:

On Saturday, May 9 his bobcat was very active. I have to go outside for my liveshot on
@FOX21News

5:46 PM · Aug 10, 2021

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1425227121375449093

Timeline May 9
2:43 pm – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, at the Morphew house
2:39 pm, 2:46 pm, and 2:47 pm – Jeff sends several messages to Suzanne with no response
2:47 pm – Barry’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44 pm – 2:47 pm – Barry moving around outside house. Barry claims he was moving around the exterior off the home shooting chipmunks with his .22 rifle.
2:44 pm – 4:44 pm - Barry moving around outside house. Barry claims he was moving around the exterior off the home shooting chipmunks with his .22 rifle.
4:44 pm – Barry truck door opens/closes
4:44 pm – 9:25 pm – Per telematics, Barry’s truck stays in same location.
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm (Disputed) Defense says Barry at Salida Stove and Spa. Disputed by FBI as the business closes at 2 pm on Saturday’s and per the F350’s telematics, the truck was at Puma Path during this time.
5:30 pm – Barry truck system rebooted
6:40 pm & 6:48 pm – Sheila Oliver sends Snapchats to Suzanne that were never opened.
9:25 pm – Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm – Truck door closes
10:17 pm – Barry phone out of airplane mode

May 9th – Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world. – Find Suzanne Morphew
edited to add detail to 2:43pm timeline

Last edited:

PaulaDC

Reaction score
We need to know exactly what LE and the lab did in order to understand the DNA evidence and the meaning of partial match.

Forensics scientists type to exclusion, they don't match or partial match anything.

Some random thoughts-

Human Identification isn't a homebrew science like it was in the 90's. Labs buy kits with pre-packaged probes for regions that span the genome (autosomes and sex chromosomes) just as you described. 75% of the kits come from 1 company. When you are looking for a possible sexual assault, you first try and find evidence of the Y chromosome. There is a gene on Y that is almost always interrogated and there is a huge database of phylogenetic data on it. We have no idea what approach this lab took or why LE used the term partial match. Forensics Scientists typically don't use terms like partial match, the data is exclusionary, or its not with a certain probability.

My best guess, and we will need to wait until the trial to see this most likely, is that for both the truck and the sheets they first ran a quantification kit to see if they had measurable male DNA and looked for Y-chromosome STRs and or SNPs just as you said. They used a kit that interrogated many Y-STRs (multiplexed) and did not get a read on all of those STRs because the DNA concentration was well below the LOD. They may have gotten a read on 1, 2, 5, or whatever. They may have also sequenced some of the amplification products to get more information.

If they got a read on all of the Y-STRs and they all matched an SO in Arizona, that person would have been arrested and questioned.

I am surprised they found random male DNA on the bedsheets in the dryer- For one, those had presumably also been washed. If the DNA was trace before washing, it would be undetectable after washing. To me this says the DNA was not so trace or the sheets were not washed. (could Barry have picked up the sheets at the motel?; could Suzanne have had more than one affair? Perhaps a weird switch at the laundromat?) Keep in mind that if these were her sheets that she slept on every night, her DNA and Barry's DNA would dominate any signal from trace contamination; many thousands of times higher. Barry's Y chromosome would be all over those sheets. And where would trace DNA on your sheets come from anyway? You by them, you use them, you wash them dozens of times in warm soapy water. Pulling a trace sample off an entire sheet in that background is something. So- something is going on with the sheets because you don't get random touch DNA on your sheets.

You sometimes find DNA from people who made the little bits and pieces of the kit- they are supposed to be known and fingerprinted so you can pull those out.

Was the DNA in the truck the same Y-Haplotype as the sheets? Lots of nerdy questions to ask...
Were these the daughters sheets? If so that may be telling of the situation. moo

Boxer

Reaction score
I think the bobcat was in use at the riverfront property in Salida on 5/9 Saturday morning.

MassGuy

The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed
Reaction score
Did they ever say WHY the bobcat was not connected to the case? Or is it just that they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew's case, at this time?
The SIM data indicated that it apparently was not used in regards to Suzanne's disappearance (page 41). The exact phrase was "at present, Barry's use of the bobcat does not appear to be connected to Suzanne's disappearance."

A2316339-D93E-411A-B675-7210B64ED5C2.jpeg

gamma gal

Reaction score
SBM
Yeah, the implication from the AA is definitely that the GPS evidence that they recovered and analyzed indicated that the Bobcat was not used in the disposal of Suzanne's body. I say that because it's mentioned immediately before the conclusion that the bobcat is not connected to the disappearance, and because nothing else in the AA would lead you to that conclusion. It's also worth noting that in at least one other situation where they hadn't fully processed the location data for a vehicle, they said so explicitly ("On April 29, 2021, SA Grusing advised that the results of the examination by the FBI's technology division for the 2015 Range Rover have not been completed.").

So, while it's still possible that they'll figure out they were mistaken and that BM somehow managed to hide the movements of the bobcat on the 9th, I'd say the odds are pretty strongly against it having been used in disposing of SM that day.
Could he have inserted a different SIM card for the clandestine operation? Then resinserted the old SIM when the bobcat returned? And/or could he have trailered the bobcat to a site to perform a simple operation like removal of a boulder?

gamma gal

Reaction score
As I was browsing Bobcat Model #S590's this picture caught my eye.
img.axd

2021 BOBCAT S590 For Sale in Maspeth, New York

Notice the position of the attachment to the cab. To get into the cab you would probably need to step on the bucket first then step into the cab. I wonder if the barefoot person's footprint was entering or exiting the cab? After she was darted, did she try to enter the cab to escape Barry?

JMO
MOO ~ she was placed in the bucket after she was darted.

MassGuy

The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed
Reaction score
Could he have inserted a different SIM card for the clandestine operation? Then resinserted the old SIM when the bobcat returned? And/or could he have trailered the bobcat to a site to perform a simple operation like removal of a boulder?
It doesn't sound like it. I think the data shows unequivocally that the bobcat did not move during the hours in question. The SIM card that gave them this data must have been installed at the time.

They'd desperately want to make a connection, especially considering the dog hits. It doesn't appear that they were able to, which would happen if there was something fishy with the SIM.

There couldn't have been.

O.Incandenza

Reaction score
I guess the first is possible, although I think an event like that would probably have been recorded on the sim card. Similar to how they know the power on the truck was reset. And there would be a gap in the GPS data it recorded. It's possible that something like that happened and they just hadn't figured it out by the time of the PH but it seems unlikely to me.

As for the latter, GPS would still record the movement of the bobcat even if it was being towed by another vehicle.

FromGermany1

Formerly FromGermany
Reaction score
Here's the very busy Bobcat statement:

On Saturday, May 9 his bobcat was very active. I have to go outside for my liveshot on
@FOX21News

5:46 PM · Aug 10, 2021

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1425227121375449093

Timeline May 9
2:43 pm – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, at the Morphew house
2:39 pm, 2:46 pm, and 2:47 pm – Jeff sends several messages to Suzanne with no response
2:47 pm – Barry’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44 pm – 2:47 pm – Barry moving around outside house. Barry claims he was moving around the exterior off the home shooting chipmunks with his .22 rifle.
2:44 pm – 4:44 pm - Barry moving around outside house. Barry claims he was moving around the exterior off the home shooting chipmunks with his .22 rifle.
4:44 pm – Barry truck door opens/closes
4:44 pm – 9:25 pm – Per telematics, Barry’s truck stays in same location.
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm (Disputed) Defense says Barry at Salida Stove and Spa. Disputed by FBI as the business closes at 2 pm on Saturday’s and per the F350’s telematics, the truck was at Puma Path during this time.
5:30 pm – Barry truck system rebooted

6:40 pm & 6:48 pm – Sheila Oliver sends Snapchats to Suzanne that were never opened.
9:25 pm – Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm – Truck door closes
10:17 pm – Barry phone out of airplane mode

May 9th – Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world. – Find Suzanne Morphew
edited to add detail to 2:43pm timeline
bbm
IF busy BM 4:00pm to 5:30pm was in town indeed, then which car did he use?

I remember BM stopping the work with MG for hiking/biking, to make SM happy, and nevertheless was seen in town during shopping "by himself" (source MG).
ETA: Maybe, he "on shopping tour" happened before 2:43pm??

Last edited:

Kemug

Reaction score
Dare we believe Barry and his strange interpretation of religion? That he didn't, in his mind, kill her, he (and God) just let her die? I make no distinction (he'd be guilty both ways, because of intent and depravity), but from a true crime position, he'd be (sickly) clever to sedate her for transport to avoid cadaverine in the home. Maybe that was his plan? Sedate, just like the deer, and then bury her and let fate take over....

But things got personal in the bedroom. They were close enough and she was alive enough to scratch him so maybe he took matters into his own (bare) hands.

JMO
This interpretation of religion is right up there with Chad Daybell's idea of adultery, ie it's not adultery if you keep your clothes on :rolleyes:

FromGermany1

Formerly FromGermany
Reaction score
BBM IMO MOO
I think that was exactly the original plan. He didn’t kill her in the home or on his property. He sedated her to then move her without struggle.

However, we must remember that after BM got home on 5/9 at 2:40’ish pm, according to the details in the AA and timeline, the trailer and Bobcat did not leave the property again. IMO he backed them up later that evening when he reversed 95ft, into their parked positions where LE found them when they locked down the property.

LE ruled out the Bobcat being involved in her murder but yet why is it the dogs got hits on it and the trailer? How did a footprint end up in the bucket if it wasn’t involved? Whatever happened for dogs to get a hit on the Bobcat and trailer happened after he sedated her at 2:40p.

These questions lead to my speculative scenario in my earlier post. IMO he darts her and is right on top of her trying to restrain her. She struggles and ends up scratching him trying to break free. She manages to break free for a moment and stumbles to the front of the house towards the garage. She stumbles about the Bobcat and ends up slumped on the seat. However, she dies instead of just being sedated. Cadaverine sets in enough for dogs to detect it. BM leaves her there long enough to gather supplies for burial off property. He may have placed her on the trailer momentarily to prepare her for transport and that is why hits were detected on it as well.
bbm
Maybe, Suzanne fled from him and his dart gun into his bobcat (barfoot). He knew exactly, he fatally sedated her and lousy coward, that he is, didn't want to be near her during her last phase. Maybe, he watched only from afar and started to prepare the PP home for leaving in the early morning (before burying his wife somewhere).

FromGermany1

Formerly FromGermany
Reaction score
This interpretation of religion is right up there with Chad Daybell's idea of adultery, ie it's not adultery if you keep your clothes on :rolleyes:
.... or if you have your pants zippers still open after you looked for deer ...... (Sorry, these little details always are in mind; unfortunately the exact timeline or something important is not. :()

Boxer

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like it. I think the data shows unequivocally that the bobcat did not move during the hours in question. The SIM card that gave them this data must have been installed at the time.

They'd desperately want to make a connection, especially considering the dog hits. It doesn't appear that they were able to, which would happen if there was something fishy with the SIM.

There couldn't have been.

MOO if there is evidence she had her bare foot on the bucket, and the bucket had been in use that morning at the river front job, leaving it a clean slate, it would be compelling evidence of a chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.