Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It's a "trail" to Fooses from the campground, mostly used by hikers and bikers, but from the videos I've seen, it looks good for anything that wouldn't bottom out on a bump. Note also that when Barry was taking down his game cams, one of them was all the way at the edge of his property line toward the RV park.

Based on AA interviews with people who knew Barry, he could do impressive stuff with that Bobcat. My theory is that he put her in the Bobcat bucket (the bare footprint, her remains rested on the trailer at some point, too) and drove her up Pahlone. There are three abandoned mine shafts along the trail up the mountain. There is no way Barry didn't know about those three. The one at the top is visible on Google Earth and clearly plugged with a boulder. The other two are under tree cover, but on trails. I think he opened one, put her in, and re-sealed the shaft.

The question becomes, could the cadaver dogs find her? How sealed is sealed when we're talking about boulders and soil?
What possible alternative explanations can there be for a footprint to be inside the bucket of that particular bobcat during that particular timeframe.....except that it belongs to one of two people at that property?

Yes. It's a "trail" to Fooses from the campground, mostly used by hikers and bikers, but from the videos I've seen, it looks good for anything that wouldn't bottom out on a bump. Note also that when Barry was taking down his game cams, one of them was all the way at the edge of his property line toward the RV park.

Based on AA interviews with people who knew Barry, he could do impressive stuff with that Bobcat. My theory is that he put her in the Bobcat bucket (the bare footprint, her remains rested on the trailer at some point, too) and drove her up Pahlone. There are three abandoned mine shafts along the trail up the mountain. There is no way Barry didn't know about those three. The one at the top is visible on Google Earth and clearly plugged with a boulder. The other two are under tree cover, but on trails. I think he opened one, put her in, and re-sealed the shaft.

The question becomes, could the cadaver dogs find her? How sealed is sealed when we're talking about boulders and soil?
Cadaver dogs walked directly over PFC Vanessa Gullien's buried remains near Ft. Hood, yet wild pigs knew the remains were there and attempted to root them up. Tim Miller is realistic about search dogs, and cautions that they can help find remains, but can't eliminate areas.

Landscapers use other peoples/buildings/business dumpsters quite often. Usually they break up amounts of illicit drops in small moderate amounts for each dumpster location so as not to get in trouble. We put cameras in our building covering our two and three "yard" dumpsters when we got landscapers using them but stopped recording from them since, after dusk especially, the license plates and other markings are were near always impossible to be clear enough for theft of service/trespass prosecution. He just may have never been caught in the past and therefore felt confident.
Don't get me wrong I think the guy is guilty as sin, but I don't think the prosecution is going to get far on the dumpster stops unless they actually have whatever he dumped. It is similar to hands and arms being scratched. When I was in college and working for a landscaper summers, we had heavy gloves but our hands were very often screeched up since at some point you take them off and forget to put them on.

I think this is going to be a long trial and the defense is going to have a lot of time, a month or more for their case, to create OJ ike doubt due to this being all circumstantial, even though it is a mountain of circumstantial. Even the third party DNA can place doubt
Barry doesn’t have the OJ popularity or the OJ jury. And the public now knows more about DNA. I suspect the DA will clear up the DNA easily. All circumstantial evidence points directly to Barry.

Landscapers use other peoples/buildings/business dumpsters quite often. Usually they break up amounts of illicit drops in small moderate amounts for each dumpster location so as not to get in trouble. We put cameras in our building covering our two and three "yard" dumpsters when we got landscapers using them but stopped recording from them since, after dusk especially, the license plates and other markings are were near always impossible to be clear enough for theft of service/trespass prosecution. He just may have never been caught in the past and therefore felt confident.
Don't get me wrong I think the guy is guilty as sin, but I don't think the prosecution is going to get far on the dumpster stops unless they actually have whatever he dumped. It is similar to hands and arms being scratched. When I was in college and working for a landscaper summers, we had heavy gloves but our hands were very often screeched up since at some point you take them off and forget to put them on.

I think this is going to be a long trial and the defense is going to have a lot of time, a month or more for their case, to create OJ ike doubt due to this being all circumstantial, even though it is a mountain of circumstantial. Even the third party DNA can place doubt
BBM.

If taken out of context as a separate act, illegal trash dumps are not uncommon. However, multiple trash dumps that coincide with the trash dumper’s wife’s disappearance which also coincide with the creation of the dumper’s flimsy job alibi looks bad for Barry.

Wife gone + dump trash + fake job = damning circumstances

Last edited:
Barry doesn’t have the OJ popularity or the OJ jury. And the public now knows more about DNA. I suspect the DA will clear up the DNA easily. All circumstantial evidence points directly to Barry.
OJ jury was shown police negligence. Chain of evidence custody broken. They were a normal hard working jury.
The Caylee Anthony jury seemed to be maverik jury.
The prosecution here better tighten up, their explanations: "I don't know, I didn't read the report, you are educating me" etc. Not acceptable from professionals.

Search Dogs
Cadaver dogs walked directly over PFC Vanessa Gullien's buried remains near Ft. Hood, yet wild pigs knew the remains were there and attempted to root them up. Tim Miller is realistic about search dogs, and cautions that they can help find remains, but can't eliminate areas.
@Boxer sbm for focus bbm
Maybe/likely true for dogs in this case.
Thanks for ^ bbm, a concise stmt re fallibility. my2ct

(Not criticizing dogs, handlers, LE or anyone.)

BBM.

If taken out of context as a separate act, illegal trash dumps are not uncommon. However, multiple trash dumps that coincide with the trash dumper’s wife’s disappearance which also coincide with the creation of the dumper’s flimsy job alibi looks bad for Barry.

Wife gone + dump trash + fake job = damning circumstances
MOO but not enough.

OJ jury was shown police negligence. Chain of evidence custody broken. They were a normal hard working jury.
The Caylee Anthony jury seemed to be maverik jury.
The prosecution here better tighten up, their explanations: "I don't know, I didn't read the report, you are educating me" etc. Not acceptable from professionals.

In the PH, that was the defense questioning the wrong expert on purpose and were told as much by the experts. Barry's a showman, of course his lawyers are ringmasters.

The footprint in the Bobcat bucket was noted on the 1oth. I don't know of it was swabbed, it's not mentioned in the AA. No workable DNA was found on the blade.
Yes, didn’t it say it documents that the bobcat was not involved? Why do people think LE was incorrect? If you think about the time and energy spent at the river house by LE why would it be surmised that LE did a less than thorough job at the house, contents and vehicles?

What possible alternative explanations can there be for a footprint to be inside the bucket of that particular bobcat during that particular timeframe.....except that it belongs to one of two people at that property?
A choice between one with boots and camo clothing or one who either was in a bathing suit or in the shower.

A choice between one with boots and camo clothing or one who either was in a bathing suit or in the shower.

That gave me a think.

I've been postulating that from roughly 2:10 until 2:47 Suzanne may have been inside, wrapped in her towel, charging her phone, taking a shower, unaware of Barry's incessant texts and calls....

I believe his movements from 2:44 to 2:47 indicate he was racing from patio to patio, then maybe window to window, then shoulder through the bedroom door.

Consider this! What if Suzanne was somehow able to escape the bedroom, could she have made it outside, perhaps running to get behind the Bobcat... desperate now for cover, aware that he was going to shoot?

I tried imagining that, earlier in her day, believing herself to be home alone, she may have been walking and talking while on the phone with LT, but if the footprints were hers, they HAD to come over the blade/plate repair...

Do we know what KIND of dogs showed interest in the Bobcat? Scent dogs? Cadaver dogs?

I really hope that, if the Bobcat WAS used in conjunction with Suzanne's disappearance, LE simply did not have usable data at the time of the AA. But has it in spades now.

I suppose we'll find out that that's where the plate of steak was shared.

JMO

Last edited:
Yes, didn’t it say it documents that the bobcat was not involved? Why do people think LE was incorrect? If you think about the time and energy spent at the river house by LE why would it be surmised that LE did a less than thorough job at the house, contents and vehicles?

It did, the exact quote is:

(Bobcat SIM removal)

On May 28, 2020, Deputy Randy Carricato with the assistance of FBI SA David Donati removed the SIM card (Subscriber Identity Module) from the Call Amp device. This is the device Agent Graham learned about that Barry had on his Bobcat Skid Steer. This device utilizes Verizonconnect services and is a GPS tracking device. SA Hoyland spoke with SA Donati and requested a search warrant be applied for to obtain what data this SIM card may contain. At present, Barry’s use of the Bobcat does not appear to be connected to Suzanne’s disappearance.

BBM. "At present" being May 4th, 2021 and the Bobcat SIM card results were still in limbo. Limbo being my new name for the terabytes of data that are probably still being cataloged.

Also:
(K-9 search on May 23, 2020)
On May 23, 2020, search teams along with K-9s and K-9 handlers (Blood Hound Man Trackers NecroSearch)searched the 19507 Puma Path property. During this search, three different K-9s were used. Each of the three K-9s were ran blindly and individually during the search. On the west area of the driveway/parking area, where a flatbed trailer and Bobcat Skid Steer are parked, all three K-9s “trained final response” alerted (the K-9s used have been trained in a specific way to alert their handlers when they detect possible human decamp/remains) on the top of the trailer. It should be noted, on the bed of the trailer there is gravel and dirt. This is an area the K-9s alerted. All three K-9s again alerted on the Bobcat, and one of the K-9s jumped into the Bobcat and tried to lay down on the driver’s seat. The Bobcat located on the Morphew’s property is identified as a 2018 Bobcat Compact Skid Steer, Model# S590 and product identification number AR9Rl8813. The flatbed trailer and Bobcat Skid Steer are parked directly next to each other.

All three alerted on the Bobcat and trailer. The funny thing is, a positive DNA swab from the Bobcat wouldn't really mean anything. It's like Barry's DNA being in Suzanne's RR means nothing, of course their DNA is on each other's stuff. You'll also note the State has Barry's DNA under the bike seat and inside the helmet but they aren't trying to hang the case on those fully positive results.

That gave me a think.

I've been postulating that from roughly 2:10 until 2:47 Suzanne may have been inside, wrapped in her towel, charging her phone, taking a shower, unaware of Barry's incessant texts and calls....

I believe his movements from 2:44 to 2:47 indicate he was racing from patio to patio, then maybe window to window, then shoulder through the bedroom door.

Consider this! What if Suzanne was somehow able to escape the bedroom, could she have made it outside, perhaps running to get behind the Bobcat... desperate now for cover, aware that he was going to shoot?

I tried imagining that, earlier in her day, believing herself to be home alone, she may have been walking and talking while on the phone with LT, but if the footprints were hers, they HAD to come over the blade/plate repair...

Do we know what KIND of dogs showed interest to the Bobcat? Scent dogs? Cadaver dogs?

I really hope that, if the Bobcat WAS uses in conjunction with Suzanne's Suzanne, LE simply did not have usable data at the time of the AA. But has it in spades now.

I suppose we'll find out that that's where the plate of steak was shared.

JMO

I've had a thought. He may have jumped out of the truck with a loaded .22. He went around to the sunning porch if you are correct that Suzanne was in the shower, he finds her not there and goes through the breezeway out the front and then into the far corner of the garage, where I think we will learn is his workbench. Then he goes and breaks in the master bedroom door and ejects the chambered round to load the dart.

The unspent round landed "near the right side of the bed." Gonna break out these visual aids again. Placement of doors, walls, furniture based on images from previous real estate listing, Chaffee County public records, and overhead photography.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PumaPath1.png
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PumaPath1.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PumaPath2.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PumaPath2.png

Hurray for visual aids
...The unspent round landed "near the right side of the bed." Gonna break out these visual aids again...
@sk716 sbm :););)Thanks so much for creating these and for posting them again as we revisit an aspect of case.

Visual aids are so important in aiding our (W/S) understanding of events. And the jury's understanding later. my2ct.

Last edited:
It did, the exact quote is:
At present, Barry’s use of the Bobcat does not appear to be connected to Suzanne’s disappearance.
All three alerted on the Bobcat and trailer. The funny thing is, a positive DNA swab from the Bobcat wouldn't really mean anything. It's like Barry's DNA being in Suzanne's RR means nothing, of course their DNA is on each other's stuff. You'll also note the State has Barry's DNA under the bike seat and inside the helmet but they aren't trying to hang the case on those fully positive results.

RSBM
Thanks for the great visual aids and timelines SK!
Barry handling her bike, helmet, or camelbak yes, if he ever moved them around in the garage, or helped her unload her vehicle.

BUT I see it totally different for the bobcat. Hardly a common place for her prints/DNA to be. No reason to be in equipment barefooted. I don't picture Suzanne or any spouse sitting in or climbing over their husbands construction equipment much less barefoot, unless it was done in distress. It's not a toy, nor a comfortable place to sit. I think a woman's print/bare foot would be a huge flag. Especially considering she was sunbathing, they have that proof in their hands. There's just no reason to be in equipment period. My guess is the print was partial and it was very light but discernible as two officers witnessed they saw it. I think it was light print because there was no weight behind it, she didn't step there on her own, Barry placed her there waiting it out, after he drugged her in the bedroom. I do believe she died quickly, hence some cadaverine on the bobcat that the dogs scented.
I stick by my thoughts he knew about her affair and even knew the name Jeff by Friday night, hence their huge fight and led to the Facebook likings of 3 Jeff's.
Has to make one wonder, why did he drag in Jeff Puckett (?), a man he only knew had a criminal record, not a friend, or someone who approached him for work, or ever worked for him before... he didn't need him even if the job was real. It was originally scheduled to be him and Morgan only. Then he asked Cassidy and Jeff?

Last edited:
RSBM
Thanks for the great visual aids and timelines SK!
Barry handling her bike, helmet, or camelbak yes, if he ever moved them around in the garage, or helped her unload her vehicle.

BUT I see it totally different for the bobcat. Hardly a common place for her prints/DNA to be. No reason to be in equipment barefooted. I don't picture Suzanne or any spouse sitting in or climbing over their husbands construction equipment much less barefoot, unless it was done in distress. It's not a toy, nor a comfortable place to sit. I think a woman's print/bare foot would be a huge flag. Especially considering she was sunbathing, they have that proof in their hands. There's just no reason to be in equipment period. My guess is the print was partial and it was very light but discernible as two officers witnessed they saw it. I think it was light print because there was no weight behind it, she didn't step there on her own, Barry placed her there waiting it out, after he drugged her in the bedroom. I do believe she died quickly, hence some cadaverine on the bobcat that the dogs scented.
I stick by my thoughts he knew about her affair and even knew the name Jeff by Friday night, hence their huge fight and led to the Facebook likings of 3 Jeff's.
Has to make one wonder, why did he drag in Jeff Puckett (?), a man he only knew had a criminal record, not a friend, or someone who approached him for work, or ever worked for him before... he didn't need him even if the job was real. It was originally scheduled to be him and Morgan only. Then he asked Cassidy and Jeff?

I think you're right about the lightness of the footprint. Since it's noted in the AA, maybe there is a picture in the file somewhere.

He needed more suspects to muddy the water.

He obviously didn’t chase her into the bobcat IMO. To me it seems he caught her outside, she ran to the master and he beat the door down. He may have gone to town to wait until he knew she would either have passed or he had a backup plan. Who is to say he didn’t load his bobcat or the one from the River home with sand, gravel and or dirt. IMO the only reason 3 dogs hit on the bobcat speak volumes. Either he killed her while in bobcat or killed her somewhere and transferred cadaverine from wherever. I doubt he killed her in the house but anywhere else is possible and most likely imo.
Also Barry didn’t wash his own dishes or do laundry. He merely terrorized her in the home and whatever else he did is up for debate. IMO

SBM. It’s my opinion that in Barry’s mind he thought the more workers he had on site for the “job”, the more legitimate the job would appear to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23