Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of answers that only Barry has and I don't think he's ever going to say.

I just think he isn't very complex or smart. Everything he did had some reason in his mind. He staged the bike and helmet thinking it would look like an abduction. He deleted texts so he didn't look bad and there would be no evidence he knew the marriage was bad off. He went to Broomfield for an alibi, he dumped things getting rid of evidence. What did he try to erase truck data? Was he trying to see if he could erase truck data and if he could he was going to use his truck? He couldn't so he opted with another vehicle? He used airplane mode so he couldn't be tracked. Safe to say he didn't want anyone knowing what was going on during those specific times. The times he was allowing himself to be known he was trying to be somewhere for specific reasons. The backhoe thing came up suddenly that day.. why? I don't think he disposed of her during any time he was out of airplane mode. So that leaves us with those few hours he was "home". LE has to be frustrated to not know where she is because he was so careless in other areas and this one area, it's like he had the best plan to not be detected. Even when he thought he wasn't detected before he was. It has to be why he didn't use his truck to dispose of her. He knew he would be tracked.

Actually he did shower that morning at home. At least that is what he told investigators. In the AA on the top of page 20.

Except his phone and truck data put him outside well before he claimed he woke up to his alarm at 4:30.

When confronted with evidence that his alarm was not set, Barry eventually claimed to have woken up on his own.

There's just no way he slept, much less took the time to take a shower. I believe he did both in the hotel room.

Except his phone and truck data put him outside well before he claimed he woke up to his alarm at 4:30.

When confronted with evidence that his alarm was not set, Barry eventually claimed to have woken up on his own.

There's just no way he slept, much less took the time to take a shower. I believe he did both in the hotel room.

You raise an interesting point. If he disposed of her remains overnight, did he ever enter the house again?

I believe he did remove the Bobcat around 4 am (the dog hits and footprints) but did he risk entering the house and leaving traces?

I pegged him for showering after he did what he did -- and to keep his truck pristine (dirty but clean of murder).

Maybe that's what he was doing the night before, just as he said, loading up his truck. Including the first spare outfit. Because he knew, once he left PP to go dispose of his wife, he wouldn't be going back into the house!

I wonder what he used to make sure none of his "trash" left any trace in his truck. The coolers? Tarps? Blankets? Towels?

Returns to PP at dark thirty, uses the Bobcat to unhitch the trailer, strips down right there at his truck and dresses in the first of several wardrobe changes....

JMO

Good one! Bam! I can see on page 27 of the AA its says: "Barry stated, "I change shirts all the time," when told by CBI that he changed shirts twice after getting to the hotel.

When asked why, he stated, "I don't even recall changing shirts that day."

What an idiot!

Did he really think there weren't cameras---- oh yeah that's right he told law enforcement to go look at the cameras and prove where he was. What an idiot!

Imagine a spouse that throws out their clothes but saves shoelaces, changes shirts multiple times a day runs around the house breaking the peace with .22 fire shooting a chipmunks.
Its a chaotic picture.

Just thought I’d share an interesting article I came across by a FBI Special Agent assigned to the FBI’s National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime, Behavioral Analysis Unit 4, for anyone interested. It specifically relates to missing persons investigations from first report, type of missing person case i.e., voluntary, foul play/criminal etc, how the cases are initially investigated, how they rule voluntary disappearance out and investigation transitions to no-body homicide case.

There’s lots of great info in the article at link below.

Something I learned was that the FBI BAU 4 has created a database of hundreds of no-body cases to include prosecutors’ contact information, and states that prosecutors with no experience prosecuting a no-body case should contact one of these experienced prosecutors for support and guidance. Since the FBI has been involved in this case since early on, I would imagine District Attorney LS is aware of this and my hope is she will/already has contacted one of these experienced prosecutors for help with the case against BM. I know it was mentioned the 4th Judicial District was going to assist them with the evidence organization, etc, so my best guess is most likely they (LS and team) has also reached out for help preparing the actual prosecution for trial court. Maybe LS has been busy with that and might be reason she wasn’t in attendance at the recent motion hearings, moo.

Snipped and BBM are some things that stood out in relation to the case at hand, or should I say, the case in the hands of DA Linda Stanley et al:

Investigators sometimes receive inadequate information in the beginning of a missing person investigation. If people portray the victim as routinely running away, being reckless, or acting irresponsibly, others may express less concern and possibly not even file a formal report. Investigators could treat the case as a reported event, rather than a potential criminal act. However, when facts and circumstances indicate a strong possibility of foul play or the disappearance occurs due to criminal action, investigators should consider the missing person case as a potential homicide.

People falsely report someone missing for various reasons. Perhaps the person died due to negligent homicide, accidental death, or murder, and the individual responsible for the death wants to create distance (time and space) from the act by establishing an alibi, obstructing justice, or avoiding detection
A no-body homicide often begins as a missing person case. In such scenarios, an early determination that the matter is more than a routine case often results in successful prosecution.

While a motive may prove unnecessary, it helps explain the reason for the murder. The motivation for the crime provides important clues, particularly when investigators have no body to confirm death or location where the murder occurred. Investigating circumstances leading up to the disappearance emerge as critical to the case. Sometimes, what appears on the surface as a perfect, harmonious domestic situation in reality equates to an abusive relationship. Understanding the missing person’s background often exposes truths known only to the offender and the victim.

Many criminals strive to create an illusion of distance in time and physical proximity from the victim’s last-known whereabouts. Successful disposal of the body is another way offenders detach from the crime. The body itself provides the best evidence of an unlawful death. However, other ways exist to determine that a person died. Many homicide prosecutors often base their cases on circumstantial evidence. They must establish 1) that the victim died; 2) that the person was murdered; 3) the approximate time of death; 4) that the likely location of the crime is within the prosecutor’s jurisdiction; and 5) the person responsible for the murder.

In one particular case, the judge determined that “the fact that a murderer may successfully dispose of a victim’s body does not entitle the offender to an acquittal.

If suspects attempt to distance themselves in time or location, investigators must invalidate any fabricated alibis. A concise timeline, forensic evidence, and behavioral analysis help link offenders to the crime scene and wipe away any false illusions. BAU 4 aids investigators and prosecutors by assessing the strength of the homicide investigation and providing collaborative recommendations for a successful outcome.

Since the 2012 symposium, BAU 4 has created a database that contains over 660 no-body homicide prosecutions in the United States, including over 477 cases prosecuted since 1995, along with the prosecutors’ contact information.
BAU 4 often recommends that a prosecuting attorney who never has taken on a no-body homicide case and plans to should contact experienced prosecutors who can help assess the strength of the current case and provide guidance and support.
The FBI’s database serves as a conduit for individuals to locate fellow prosecutors to discuss best practices for no-body homicide cases and investigative steps to cover before proceeding.

No-Body Homicide Cases: A Practical Approach — LEB

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Wow! Incredible description of Barry imo

I don’t remember hearing if BM’s shirts were found in his truck or not. But I’m curious about this photo in AA. They asked him what was the blue item he was carrying into the hotel and he says probably his swim trunks and asks did you find them in my truck.
Is that what’s pictured on the right?
Have we seen a color photo of this ?

Also note that by March of 2021 he has gone from not remembering changing shirts to saying that he did it because it was hot.

Attachments

• 91A0E7F2-8E76-4761-9C20-31D79270CE0F.jpeg
    91A0E7F2-8E76-4761-9C20-31D79270CE0F.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 7113659B-AA48-4292-B84F-F192DC22BFD4.jpeg
    7113659B-AA48-4292-B84F-F192DC22BFD4.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 61
I hope there are, but where?
The CDOT equipment yard for salt and snow plows?
Was there a business or residence in Monarch that had a road capture cam?
I have looked and not found one on street view.
There aren't many....I only know of three that are CDOT - one east of Salida by Vandeveer Rd, One at the turnoff to Poncha Spring and one up on the top of the pass. There is one up Spiral Drive where the "S" is and maybe some in town at businesses...but once you get our of the town of Salida there's not much

That "Nobody Homicide Cases a Practicla Approach article is loaded with info. No-Body Homicide Cases: A Practical Approach — LEB

I really hope the prosecution brings an experienced behavior analyst to paint a portrait of the likely killer. I bet it's a dead ringer for bM. It's scary how well the FBI behavior guys do in profiling murderers. They are usually spot on.

Makes you wonder about the firefighting gig. Why? To establish himself in town to drum up business? I think he believed he would never be considered as a suspect. He was out of town when she went missing, they had a perfect marriage, he knew the sheriff, he worked side by side with law enforcement and officials when he was fighting fires. He was always working, and he wasn’t a volunteer FF in Indiana. Was he bored at home? Wasn’t he busy enough?
I’ve always believed he picked a home in the wilderness so that he could kill her and dispose of her. I think he dreamed of it many years ago. Move to a small town in the wilderness. Volunteer firefighter. Become buddies with the police and neighbors. He thought, as many have speculated, he could make her disappear and no one would suspect good ole Barry.
ETA: Money, he wanted her inheritance to himself. He didn’t want to be caretaker of someone with cancer. Not selfish Barry.

I don’t remember hearing if BM’s shirts were found in his truck or not. But I’m curious about this photo in AA. They asked him what was the blue item he was carrying into the hotel and he says probably his swim trunks and asks did you find them in my truck.
Is that what’s pictured on the right?
Have we seen a color photo of this ?

Also note that by March of 2021 he has gone from not remembering changing shirts to saying that he did it because it was hot.

Your recall of these details is impressive, @Cindizzi!

It's May in CO, during Covid restrictions. Why would he have swim trunks in his truck?

Imaginary exchange:

Prosecution: Barry, you say Suzanne asked you to get her bike down, right? So you were the last person to handle her bike?

Barry: well, exactly

JMO
He really is trying to think of everything and have an excuse for it. His dna was on the bike and the helmet and now he has his reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998