Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the bodycam footage that was used in the preliminary hearing. I'm not sure if there is more in that regard.

The investigation doesn't stop just because an arrest has been made, so I'm sure things are still going on.
Dammit to the first part.

Yes to the 2nd- like people may feel more comfortable talking once they knew he was locked up.

Nope.

(Barry Morphew Interview – February 29, 2021)
While SA Grusing and SA Harris were parked about one block away from Barry’s condo, Barry drove his truck beside the Agents’ car at about 5:03PM and handed a weathered .22 caliber altered rifle with a newly mounted rifle scope to Agents. Barry said that was the gun he used to shoot the chipmunk and he had to leave to workout at the gym.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2021/11/AA_Text_html_m2dba9866.png

Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew​
So didn't LE take his guns when they searched the house? Was he allowed to keep them all for all that time? Where was this gun when they searched the house? Surely they would see this and it would have stood out? This is the one that is too short correct?

Only the bodycam footage that was used in the preliminary hearing. I'm not sure if there is more in that regard.

The investigation doesn't stop just because an arrest has been made, so I'm sure things are still going on.
I have a question about this. Sometimes on a search warrant, the officers indicate that the warrant itself and the preliminary results must be kept confidential to protect the continuing investigation.

When you have a prosecution underway, preliminary hearing having already occurred, is it possible there are search warrants (and possibly preliminary findings in relation to them) that have not yet been disclosed to any parties outside of the investigators because continuing analysis or testing or examination of the items/things under warrant is occurring?

Like, for example, in relation to equipment rented and on site at the riverside construction site during the week SM disappeared?

What was BM's "plan according to the narrative as told by BM" if the call about SM had not occurred? I mean by that, if BM had not received a call (that SM wasn't responding to calls or texts and appeared to be missing) so wasn't compelled to leave Broomfield around 6 or so as he did, who was going to stay where? JP stayed in the room BM had occupied most of the day and MG in another (and IIRC, CC drove up the next morning).

Where was everyone going to sleep Sunday night? And the nights after that (since it appeared to be a multi-day job, especially if done only with hand tools since BM did not bring any motorized equipment).

I find it difficult to believe bossman BM would share and sleep in a hotel room with a man he subsequently pointed to as a potential suspect and described as a guy who'd "spent 9 years in prison."

What was JP's understanding about sleeping arrangements?

Damn this is a really great point.

All I can think is that he had another booking but being a cheaparse, decided to just give JP his room instead of checking in?

I have a question about this. Sometimes on a search warrant, the officers indicate that the warrant itself and the preliminary results must be kept confidential to protect the continuing investigation.

When you have a prosecution underway, preliminary hearing having already occurred, is it possible there are search warrants (and possibly preliminary findings in relation to them) that have not yet been disclosed to any parties outside of the investigators because continuing analysis or testing or examination of the items/things under warrant is occurring?

Like, for example, in relation to equipment rented and on site at he river construction site during the week SM disappeared?
I imagine all that stuff was turned over, and a lot of it is the basis for the AA.

What's possible though, is that warrants executed after Barry's arrest (which thus would not be in the AA) resulted in more evidence being uncovered that we are not aware of.

We were privy to a bunch of warrants and the results of those warrants in the Berreth case, but that has not happened here. We don't even have access to current motions.

Frustrating.

I imagine all that stuff was turned over, and a lot of it is the basis for the AA.

What's possible though, is that warrants executed after Barry's arrest (which thus would not be in the AA) resulted in more evidence being uncovered that we are not aware of.

We were privy to a bunch of warrants and the results of those warrants in the Berreth case, but that has not happened here. We don't even have access to current motions.

Frustrating.
Yes it is.

I think he was snookered, like he was with Suzanne's cell phone. He needed to dump that bike to sell the bike ride narrative, but had to guarantee that it wouldn't be quickly found.

He needed to put time and distance between his fake crime scene, and what a disaster it would be if that bike was found in the early morning.

This is a great point - and it's why he needed to leave so early in the morning.

Sbm, bbm

Not that it really matters I suppose but on page 39 of the AA it states:

"At about 10:30 PM, Morgan Gentile arrived at the Holiday Inn Express and checked in to Barry's room."
I think that is a mistake...wasn't it one of the male workers that said the room smelled like chlorine, mentioned the wet towels and he found a piece of mail of Barry's in the trash?

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Wow… Chaffee County Court finally dismissed at 6:30 pm. The judge heard arguments/rebuttal from both sides about #BarryMorphew defense claim of the prosecution’s discovery violations. Judge will make a written ruling. Next court appearance will be Feb. 10th.
6:28 PM · Feb 1, 2022

@Niner

ETA: Interesting video in the car park embedded with LS tweet

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew has received a new case #2022CR47 in Fremont County and filings in his case will now be filed in Fremont County.

6:33 PM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew defense claims the prosecution is watering down the evidence about the CODIS DNA match. "We have been open, honest, complying with Rule 16 as best we can & we will continue to do so," Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said. I'll have a recap tonight at 9 p.m. on
@FOX21News

6:51 PM · Feb 1, 2022

At 6:12. the boyfriend MH says “ we don’t even know what time she (SM) left today”.
His sister volunteers “ but they have camera “ pointing at the garage/house.
MH says “ yeah but they’ve been out of commission for awhile “.

Barry said they were supposed to be home by lunchtime. He even called MM1 around lunchtime, expecting them to be home already.
Regarding Barry leaving Suzanne alone on Mother’s Day, when she disappeared, he replied that his girls were supposed to come home “and I didn’t feel bad, because I thought they were going to be there around lunchtime.” (AA Page 22 of 129)
ETA: We don't have any kind of timeline for the girls.

If the girls were camping some 5 hours away, (am I right in that?) they would need to be on the road heading home by 7 am, give or take, to make it there by lunchtime. It would be a stretch, IMO, that this would happen, for no other reason than young folks don't usually spring out of bed at the crack of dawn, especially when on a getaway. I think BM is full of baloney on that statement. Again, JMO.

If the girls were camping some 5 hours away, (am I right in that?) they would need to be on the road heading home by 7 am, give or take, to make it there by lunchtime. It would be a stretch, IMO, that this would happen, for no other reason than young folks don't usually spring out of bed at the crack of dawn, especially when on a getaway. I think BM is full of baloney on that statement. Again, JMO.
I'd lean towards it being a lie by default, but that's an excellent point.

I just hope they were interviewed in depth before Barry slammed that door.

At 6:12. the boyfriend MH says “ we don’t even know what time she (SM) left today”.
His sister volunteers “ but they have camera “ pointing at the garage/house.
MH says “ yeah but they’ve been out of commission for awhile “.

Knowing what we know now about Suzanne's fear she was being "spied upon" I think she did yank the plug on their system. I believe it may not have been fully functional as has been said, but it did not surprise me that her fingerprints were the ones on the cords. Kind of sad to think about in hindsight.

Honestly, if I took a look at that gun and was asked who it belonged to, I would have said the daughter (who probably doesn't give a rats about hunting but did it because her dad pressured her to). I would be interested to see the condition of BM's other guns....I'd bet a lot of money they are pristine.
I thought the same until I saw the picture of the safe in the garage. His guns are far from pristine.

Did SM Pack Up (Troubles) Clothing in Her Old Kit Bag?*
... Wouldn't he be snooping around for clues? e.g. He suspected she was having an affair. Wouldn't he check if she packed clothes?
@mrjitty sbm bbm Thx for your post making a good point. What/where to check?

Real est MLS pix 29, 30, & 31** of master bedroom show no dresser, no place to store clothing, at least when BM listed. MLS "Home Details" stated: "Beautiful, spacious, master suite with 2 large walk in closets ..."

So, only one space (unless SM's surplus/out of season garb overflowed to closets outside that bedroom).

Yes, agreeing w ^ post. Seems if he suspected SM may have flown the coop, either solo or w affair partner, BM woulda, coulda, shoulda checked there. my2ct

Did he not head there on first go-round thru PP home?

Last edited:
I thought the same until I saw the picture of the safe in the garage. His guns are far from pristine.
The more we see of this guy, the clearer the picture. We started with him packing up his trailer in Indiana-what a mess. Now we see the inside of his truck, his garage, his safe, even that gun-all a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member