Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been discussed already but do we know the identify of the fifth redacted phone under Barry's Verizon account that was in the search warrant? In the AA on page 31, I'm seeing SM, BM, MM1, MM2, and a fifth number listed as REDACTED REDACTED.
Shock would be an easy answer for non normative actions, speech etc etc

Don't know if this has been discussed already but do we know the identify of the fifth redacted phone under Barry's Verizon account that was in the search warrant? In the AA on page 31, I'm seeing SM, BM, MM1, MM2, and a fifth number listed as REDACTED REDACTED.

Good catch.

Interesting.

They were married for along time. I have to assume she was aware of his triggers and reactions. She was over her marriage that is clear. I don’t think we can make the assumption that either partner was cruel throughout their marriage. We have seen grievances from only one spouse other than a few comments from Barry that might be classified as grievances. Fights tend to have a manipulative component to them by nature. “I am going to kill myself will that make you happy” is manipulative. Not knowing what the other person was saying and doing doesn’t give enough insight to determine who was being more manipulative or more cruel or tell us how that ends up with one spouse being charged with killing the other in my opinion. I think this is why DV is so complicated and not always clear or simple to categorize and why it is a sentence enhancer and not a charge.
<modsnip>
BM's actions were more than "manipulative." He was violently angry in response to her criticisms and desire to leave. This is coercion at the very least, and it seems fair to use "abuse" to describe it. DV is NOT that complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have those same questions! However, the lights were not off inside the house. If you replay the video, you can see the large ceiling chandelier-type light was on when they entered. Also, if LE had done a cursory sweep of the interior of the house initially, how did they miss the ammo on the floor beside the bed which was in plain sight directly in front of the open bedroom door, according to the police marker in other LE video?

As for the clothing on the floor. it is purely speculation as to whether they were in a basket or not. I doubt they were on the floor.

I am struck by the lack of emotion and the apparent casual saunter and attitude BM displays throughout that arrival at the front door, retrieval of clothing, and departure film footage. He really never faltered or displayed any real confusion or concern. His pace or gait never changed. There was no sense of urgency. We never heard him ask if LE had already been in the house, rather only if the door was locked/unlocked. He actually spoke very little. His demeanor was not what one would expect if a beloved was missing and had tangled with a wild animal, as he tried to portray. Even if a couple has had a hellacious fight, when a tragedy strikes or they are delivered bad news, there would be shock and concern that would over-ride the issues for a time. IMO

Bedroom light was off.

ScreenHunter 1283.png

<modsnip> BM's actions were more than "manipulative." He was violently angry in response to her criticisms and desire to leave. This is coercion at the very least, and it seems fair to use "abuse" to describe it. DV is NOT that complicated.
I can accept that. I have not had any experiences with DV in our friend groups. A few acrimonious divorces but financial oriented. I am no DV expert for sure. But I do think abuse is a highly charged word with implications that not knowing them I could not ascertain with certainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[With respect, kindly consider all and everything that follows as based upon only my personal beliefs, understandings and/or opinions, as may be appropriate in a particular context. I shall be most obliged!]

Much recent dialog has been focused on the penultimate fatal chaos at the Morphew residence. Having considered these nightmarish narratives, with hesitancy I'm about to offer yet one more.
To begin, a "long gun" is not a good choice for anticipated use in limited /restricted spaces. The Morphew fully-furnished master bedroom comes to mind.
Even Barry's "short gun" could become a problem there. Once that single dart is fired, either rifle, short or long, is now functionally reduced to a primitive bludgeon. In the ensuing, certain chaos, Barry would now have to additionally make sure that his weapon did not reach the hand(s) of a desperate, determined Suzanne... where it could then find frantic use in myriad kinds of destructive, clue-producing rage. Obviously, its forceful use in actual battery [eg. bludgeoning Suzanne] would result in a crime scene forensic field day. Presently we know of no evidence of any such tumult. Thus, the theorized indoor dart gun use, I believe, leaves unaddressed the not unreasonable prospect of an interior household maelstrom.

Presently, I'm thinking Barry eschewed using his short gun, even tho' it might well have found a place in his initial plan(s). The setting for action had now changed, markedly so, with Suzanne's panicked flight and resistance. So, no, Tranquilizer attack scenarios envisioned in the master bedroom did not involve a gun.
IMOHO - just to emphasize.

Developing further, little if any of the foregoing can be germane unless and until Barry 'makes the shot', that being a hit holding securely in the right spot* on his target. While we may be certain Barry "never misses" - he's said so on the record - we've had the benefit of responses from professionals in veterinary, wildlife, and animal husbandry pursuits relating to the characteristics of various types of tranquilizers and their uses. If I recall correctly, I understand that when shooting a dart to sedate an animal, one should aim for and hit a substantial muscular region, difficult for a startled animal to reach or otherwise/disturb before the injection has taken effect.

All considered to this point, I must ask:
What could possibly go wrong with a plan requiring one to hit with just a single shot an optimal muscular region* on a frantically moving Suzanne fighting you for her life?
---------------------------------------------------------------

At this point I adhere to the widely discussed 'Tranquilizer Theory', but with some variation(s).

(Advice: Possibly disturbing, hypothetical text follows.)

I particularly reason that Barry had to immobilize Suzanne, bodily, wherever he cornered her, using his sheer weight and strength; he sustained defensive wounds in so doing.
He thereupon positioned her face down in such fashion as, once in total control, he could and did free one hand long enough to retrieve a tranquilizing dart from his person, pulling off the protective sheathe (perhaps) with his teeth.
He then in one motion struck and held the dosed needle into such of Suzanne's musculature as was in this position of control readily accessible to him. Immediately thereafter he resumed his initial control positioning, persisting so long as necessary* until his evil objective - his wife's incapacitation or death - was at hand.
Utterly ghastly.
Utterly.
------------------------------------------------------------------

To finish, a brief aside wrt the capital murder element, "with deliberation".

In my opinion, this * 'persisting so long as necessary' interval, during which Barry could have relented but chose not to, may well be sufficient evidence of precisely that: Homicide with deliberation.
If this is the case, the prosecution must, in closing, emphasize Barry Morphew's chosen 'interval of deliberate persistence". And this so that, in his instructions to the jury, the judge may be more likely to restate this circumstance as properly in evidence, and one which the members are allowed to consider during deliberations.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, just saw something interesting in the AA. So far, I've seen two deleted texts that were recovered by LE, not in the iCloud but as a deleted screenshot. I realized I also have a lot of screenshots of texts on my own phone. Why? I take a screenshot of a text in order to send it to a third party.

One I could pass as an accidental photo but two? Both from SM and both discussing their relationship? The first was the "I'm sure your mistress has you all happy" from April 24 and the second was the "I'm done. Let's handle this civilly" on May 6. Pg. 32 of the AA. Was BM sending these screenshots to someone else? If so, who?

[With respect, kindly consider all and everything that follows as based upon only my personal beliefs, understandings and/or opinions, as may be appropriate in a particular context. I shall be most obliged!]

Much recent dialog has been focused on the penultimate fatal chaos at the Morphew residence. Having considered these nightmarish narratives, with hesitancy I'm about to offer yet one more.
To begin, a "long gun" is not a good choice for anticipated use in limited /restricted spaces. The Morphew fully-furnished master bedroom comes to mind.
Even Barry's "short gun" could become a problem there. Once that single dart is fired, either rifle, short or long, is now functionally reduced to a primitive bludgeon. In the ensuing, certain chaos, Barry would now have to additionally make sure that his weapon did not reach the hand(s) of a desperate, determined Suzanne... where it could then find frantic use in myriad kinds of destructive, clue-producing rage. Obviously, its forceful use in actual battery [eg. bludgeoning Suzanne] would result in a crime scene forensic field day. Presently we know of no evidence of any such tumult. Thus, the theorized indoor dart gun use, I believe, leaves unaddressed the not unreasonable prospect of an interior household maelstrom.

Presently, I'm thinking Barry eschewed using his short gun, even tho' it might well have found a place in his initial plan(s). The setting for action had now changed, markedly so, with Suzanne's panicked flight and resistance. So, no, Tranquilizer attack scenarios envisioned in the master bedroom did not involve a gun.
IMOHO - just to emphasize.

Developing further, little if any of the foregoing can be germane unless and until Barry 'makes the shot', that being a hit holding securely in the right spot* on his target. While we may be certain Barry "never misses" - he's said so on the record - we've had the benefit of responses from professionals in veterinary, wildlife, and animal husbandry pursuits relating to the characteristics of various types of tranquilizers and their uses. If I recall correctly, I understand that when shooting a dart to sedate an animal, one should aim for and hit a substantial muscular region, difficult for a startled animal to reach or otherwise/disturb before the injection has taken effect.

What could possibly go wrong with a plan requiring one to hit with just a single shot an optimal muscular region* on a frantically moving Suzanne fighting you for her life?

At this point I adhere to the widely discussed 'Tranquilizer Theory', but with some variation(s).

I particularly reason that Barry had to immobilize Suzanne, bodily, wherever he cornered her, using his sheer weight and strength; he sustained defensive wounds in so doing.
He thereupon positioned her face down in such fashion as, once in total control, he could and did free one hand long enough to retrieve a tranquilizing dart from his person, pulling off the protective sheathe (perhaps) with his teeth.
He then in one motion struck and held the dosed needle into such of Suzanne's musculature as was in this position of control readily accessible to him. Immediately thereafter he resumed his initial control positioning, persisting so long as necessary* until his evil objective - his wife's incapacitation or death - was at hand.
Utterly ghastly.
Utterly.

In my opinion, this * 'persisting so long as necessary' interval, during which Barry could have relented but chose not to, may well be sufficient evidence of precisely that: Homicide with deliberation.
If this is the case, the prosecution must, in closing, emphasize Barry Morphew's chosen 'interval of deliberate persistence". And this so that, in his instructions to the jury, the judge may be more likely to restate this circumstance as properly in evidence, and one which the members are allowed to consider during deliberations.

I suspect something very close to everything you describe.

In my assessment, I try to isolate what was planned and what actually occurred, because IMO they're rarely the same.

I think Barry planned to encounter and incapacitate Suzanne outside (but it's really only Barry who introduces the fire arm into the day's narrative. While a .22 can fire a dart, a gun isn't required. Probably necessary when attempting to sedate a creature with a hide but a manual delivery in this instance, horrid as it is, would surely work). I think Barry came away from the day with defensive wounds on his arm, from Suzanne, fighting for her life. That couldn't possibly have been part of the plan. Something went sideways. Namely IMO Suzanne wasn't where he expected her to be, and ultimately Suzanne was on the other side of a locked door. At that point, he was committed to his mission IMO --

Resulting in the unplanned door breach, close proximity and defensive injuries.

JMO

Last edited:
I don’t think he killed her with a dart gun. That thing was being held together with zip ties and probably wasn’t functional to any practical degree. I don’t think he was chasing her around the house either, wifi wobble is a thing and can show someone running around in a house-sized area when they’re actually sitting still the whole time.

I think they argued, he strangled her, and dumped her body (dissolved or not) close to but not on the Puma Path property.

Presently, I'm thinking Barry eschewed using his short gun, even tho' it might well have found a place in his initial plan(s). The setting for action had now changed, markedly so, with Suzanne's panicked flight and resistance.
So, no.
Tranquilizer attack scenarios envisioned in the master bedroom did not involve a gun. IMOHO - just to emphasize.

I particularly reason that Barry had to immobilize Suzanne, bodily,wherever he cornered her, using his sheer weight and strength; he sustained defensive wounds in so doing.
Utterly ghastly.
Utterly.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, just saw something interesting in the AA. So far, I've seen two deleted texts that were recovered by LE, not in the iCloud but as a deleted screenshot. I realized I also have a lot of screenshots of texts on my own phone. Why? I take a screenshot of a text in order to send it to a third party.

One I could pass as an accidental photo but two? Both from SM and both discussing their relationship? The first was the "I'm sure your mistress has you all happy" from April 24 and the second was the "I'm done. Let's handle this civilly" on May 6. Pg. 32 of the AA. Was BM sending these screenshots to someone else? If so, who?
To his mistress, who isn't existent allegedly.
To his mama to show, how nasty his wife can be.

In my assessment, I try to isolate what was planned and what actually occurred, because IMO they're rarely the same.

I think Barry planned to encounter and incapacitate Suzanne outside (but it's really only Barry who introduces the fire arm into the day's narrative. While a .22 can fire a dart, a gun isn't required. Probably necessary when attempting to sedate a creature with a hide but a manual delivery in this instance, horrid as it is, would surely work). I think Barry came away from the day with defensive wounds on his arm, from Suzanne, fighting for her life. That couldn't possibly have been part of the plan. Something went sideways. Namely IMO Suzanne wasn't whereche expected her to be, and ultimately Suzanne was on the other side of a locked door. At the point, he was committed to his mission IMO --

JMO
I just had the same idea. Apropos ZOO and his many animals, which we are collecting: A zoo vet uses a blow pipe on the animals, he wants to sedate (for treatment or transport). Does BM have such a device? Did he have perhaps?

I've been wondering that too. My hypothesis is MH2 knew where the spare key was hidden. JR and MH2 both went in through the unlocked garage door. In the body cam footage, MH2 tells the deputy that he had gone in and looked for Suzanne.

JR left the note on the door on her first trip and opened the garage to look for Suzanne's bike on the second trip.
In the video the boyfriend says he has the code to the garage, he opened the garage to go into the home.

I have those same questions! However, the lights were not off inside the house. If you replay the video, you can see the large ceiling chandelier-type light was on when they entered. Also, if LE had done a cursory sweep of the interior of the house initially, how did they miss the ammo on the floor beside the bed which was in plain sight directly in front of the open bedroom door, according to the police marker in other LE video?

As for the clothing on the floor. it is purely speculation as to whether they were in a basket or not. I doubt they were on the floor.

I am struck by the lack of emotion and the apparent casual saunter and attitude BM displays throughout that arrival at the front door, retrieval of clothing, and departure film footage. He really never faltered or displayed any real confusion or concern. His pace or gait never changed. There was no sense of urgency. We never heard him ask if LE had already been in the house, rather only if the door was locked/unlocked. He actually spoke very little. His demeanor was not what one would expect if a beloved was missing and had tangled with a wild animal, as he tried to portray. Even if a couple has had a hellacious fight, when a tragedy strikes or they are delivered bad news, there would be shock and concern that would over-ride the issues for a time. IMO
BM lack of panic. Whether trying to maintain or whatever, when a loved one is missing there is panic, supressed fear.

I think Barry planned to encounter and incapacitate Suzanne outside (but it's really only Barry who introduces the fire arm into the day's narrative. While a .22 can fire a dart, a gun isn't required. Probably necessary when attempting to sedate a creature with a hide but a manual delivery in this instance, horrid as it is, would surely work). I think Barry came away from the day with defensive wounds on his arm, from Suzanne, fighting for her life. That couldn't possibly have been part of the plan. Something went sideways. Namely IMO Suzanne wasn't where he expected her to be, and ultimately Suzanne was on the other side of a locked door. At that point, he was committed to his mission IMO --

JMO
BBM

You said something I hadn’t previously considered. He didn’t need a gun to stab her with the dart. It’s possible she didn’t just peacefully drift off to sleep like the animals he shot with the darts. Suzanne ran to the bedroom. Thinking the dart didn’t work, he had to break into the bedroom and fight with her until the tranquilizer took effect or he realized he had to silence her permanently another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆