Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Barry attempt to reach Suzanne by alternate means?

Remember, he wasn't supposed to know she was dead, so what would you do if you couldn't reach someone, in particular someone who typically responded quickly? Would you immediately think m-m-mount-t-t-tain liiiiiiiion? Or would you run through the possibiliies? Home, away. Busy, injured. A fall. Phone out of order.

Did he try an email?

Did he ask a gym buddy to run over?

Did he call all the places she might be? All the people who might know where she could be?

Me, I'd be calling everyone I know -- and then I'd be asking them to call everyone they know.

Because, just like MH, I'd be trying to figure out where my person went -- and I'd wear out the easy and safe and logical explanations long before I'd surrender their fate to mauling.

But that's JMO.

BBM.

Linda Stanley's own blunders have opened the door to this, IMO. During the investigation, Sheriff Spezze carefully avoided any action or public statement that could be problematic. Stanley has wasted his effort, and I bet he's seething about that.

True but it doesn't really matter IMO

In the last decade I have followed 4 sprawling multi year cases through appeals etc.

In every each, the main defence was that the prosecution was corrupt and incompetent and had decided to railroad the accused because reasons.

These reasons never make sense of course. Corrupt cops tend to sabotage cases. They don't usually try to fit up middle class, well resourced white guys, or railroad them in a difficult no body case.

What I noted from No Stone Unturned was that Law enforcement pursue those cases over years because someone believes in that missing victim.

So while I agree there are some unfortunate aspects in all of this, it still disgusts me when defence teams try to mislead the court because of their own dreams of legal glory.

My personal take is this won't really be a SODDI defence because the evidence for it doesn't exist.

The lazy bumbling prosecution will be on trial for railroading the accused instead of looking for the real killer.

I also think there might be a nod and a wink aspect to it. Maybe the accused really did it (e.g a jealous fight), but we can't really know what happened that night and maybe it wasn't murder. So you'll have to let him skate.

Let's just say this is the truth and it was an accident. Some heat of the moment argument and she tried to use a tranquillizer dart on him (I do not believe this, but her DNA was on the item in the dryer so I could see the defense using this) and he pushed her or hit her or whatever and she died.

He still is guilty of all the other charges. He disposed of her body, tried to influence LE, lied a lot, tampered with evidence, staged a bike wreck, suggested so many other people might have killed her, I mean it's really beyond he panicked and covered it up. He really went over board and even had an alibi planned out too. That is a lot to "plan" at the last minute to cover up an accident or self defense death. I just don't know that it is believable.

Remember, he wasn't supposed to know she was dead, so what would you do if you couldn't reach someone, in particular someone who typically responded quickly? Would you immediately think m-m-mount-t-t-tain liiiiiiiion? Or would you run through the possibiliies? Home, away. Busy, injured. A fall. Phone out of order.

Did he try an email?

Did he call all the places she might be? All the people who might know where she could be?

Me, I'd be calling everyone I know -- and then I'd be asking them to call everyone they know.

Because, just like MH, I'd be trying to figure out where my person went -- and I'd wear out the easy and safe and logical explanations long before I'd surrender their fate to mauling.

But that's JMO.

Exactly

His first thought should have been she was with her lover.

Can we all agree on this at least?

An inconsistency is when something is not the same. So you tell a story, but parts of it change.

A lie is when you say something that is not truthful.

If I'm on the phone with someone and they ask where I am and I tell them "the moon," when I'm really at the mall, that is a lie.

If I recount what I did on a particular day and my narrative changes, that is inconsistent.

Now, an inconsistency may not be a lie, as memory is fallible.

But you know what a lie is?

A fricken lie.

Can we please call it like it is, and not downplay an irrefutable falsehood?

We should be able to agree on basic definitions of words.
I can agree that some things he said were lies...like saying he was at the wall when Mrs. Ritter called....a lie, yes. But I don't agree that every story he told was a lie and sometimes I think he was just tired and flippant.

I'm also very curious about his first phone calls after he knew. We know GD showed up at the bike site fairly early on, but who else did BM call? It remains suspicious to me that since BM was a volunteer fire fighter, he did not immediately reach out to LE himself. Or at the very least, call the fire chief and ask him to reach out to LE, the fire chief likely knew people in LE. Ask them to do a welfare check. NOT send his neighbors.

Such a great point! He didn't live far from GD. So he instead calls on the closest neighbors who are older and I'm not saying incapable of going to check, but was that best because what if she did die who is better to find her dead or injured seriously? The neighbors in their 70s or your fire fighter buddy who has likely dealt with serious medical situations and emergencies. I don't know it feels very calculated and even worse then the Ritter's going to check would be Barry knowing his daughters would be showing up and be the ones to notice if they didn't raise a flag before that.

Let's just say this is the truth and it was an accident. Some heat of the moment argument and she tried to use a tranquillizer dart on him (I do not believe this, but her DNA was on the item in the dryer so I could see the defense using this) and he pushed her or hit her or whatever and she died.

He still is guilty of all the other charges. He disposed of her body, tried to influence LE, lied a lot, tampered with evidence, staged a bike wreck, suggested so many other people might have killed her, I mean it's really beyond he panicked and covered it up. He really went over board and even had an alibi planned out too. That is a lot to "plan" at the last minute to cover up an accident or self defense death. I just don't know that it is believable.

I agree it's not believable. Not to me anyway.

It's basically a bunch of hand waving as a defence. Sure this all looks bad, but we can't quite be sure what really happened ....

I think this will basically be the approach. Speculate wildly, dissemble and put law enforcement on trial,

I can agree that some things he said were lies...like saying he was at the wall when Mrs. Ritter called....a lie, yes. But I don't agree that every story he told was a lie and sometimes I think he was just tired and flippant.
Ok. So do you have an innocent explanation for this particular lie?

"Tired and flippant," might fly if he was in an interrogation room over a long and grueling interview, but that doesn't work for me when you're talking about a couple dozen conversations, many of them conducted by Grusing, who was trying to be casual and disarming.

One CBI interview also took place during some sort of backyard barbecue.

For a 100% innocent person, this lie is the most concerning. If his wife being missing is totally a shock to him and he has zero to do with it, why would he lie to the neighbors and the police? Why did he even need to say exactly where he was? Why not leave it at I'm in Broomfield for work? For some reason he needed those he talked to to believe that narrative or he wouldn't have said it twice. Nobody (if he is innocent not even him) knew where she was or what happened and he needed to lie during the very first phone call he receives about her being missing. Very telling to me.

I just watched the bodycam video again.

Whelp.

LE says to Barry, "you left at 5am?"

To which Barry replies, "she was sound asleep."

Um. No one asked that.

But it gets worse. I can't believe I missed it.

They're talking about her biking, not avid, new to it.

And Barry mumbles, "she said she was [going to ride] soon's she gets up."

There it is.

Soon's she gets up.

He tried to close the gap.

Suzanne agreed to put down her phone on Saturday -- for the hike they didn't take, the steak and plate they shared and the sex-to-bedtime.

And here he attempts to close the window altogether -- she rolled out of bed right onto her bike.

Approx 9:48 in the video. Listen for it.

Sheriff's body cam video reveals first hours of Suzanne Morphew mystery

Last edited:
I am hoping there will be a similar type of digital presentation for this jury as well. Maybe a cell phone journey from Puma Path past the bike and helmet, and then from garbage drop to garbage drop until arriving at the strange hotel parking lot visit?
^^rsbm

I'm afraid that we are not going to see the type of cellular and location data forensics that we've become accustomed to based on geographic circumstances beyond anybody's control. Fortunately, the jurors of this district will be familiar with the lesser services that most of us take for granted.

I think he NEEDED the bike ride narrative to take off immediately so he planted the idea vs letting police investigate and determine she was riding her bike.

RSBM

This is what the noob murder mystery writer always does - they include exposition and foreshadowing in their dialogue to advance the plot. Real life does not include these things. They are a device from television, movies and books.

Chekhov's gun (Chekhov's rifle, Russian: Чеховское ружьё) is a dramatic principle that states that every element in a story must be necessary, and irrelevant elements should be removed. Elements should not appear to make "false promises" by never coming into play

So basically he introduces "the gun" knowing it will be used in the final act.

Chekhov's gun - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I seem to recall posters on here saying that “perhaps” BM used airplane mode to conserve battery, etc.

But I’ve never seen any statements by BM or SM ( or about them) that they did that.

In fact, BM consistently denied putting his phone in airplane mode.
He said he couldn’t recall doing it.
Then he said if he did it, it was accidental.
Then he suggested that SM did it .
Then he finally admitted that he did it saying not because he was doing anything wrong, just so he could tell her haha you couldn’t track me.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

You know what is hard to get around also is him calling and texting her so many times on Saturday also. Then telling her he was on his way home. Then saying did you leave. Then putting it in airplane mode. If he didn't want her to track him, why say "done, headed home". I mean he can't have it both ways. He sorta tells on himself there because he was already home when he did that and so no need to airplane mode so she can't track him.

He has basically admitted he could airplane mode the phone so NOBODY could track him.. like LE when they were trying to find out where he was that day.

RSBM

This is what the noob murder mystery writer always does - they include exposition and foreshadowing in their dialogue to advance the plot. Real life does not include these things. They are a device from television, movies and books.

Chekhov's gun - Wikipedia

Exactly! I feel like him saying to call Sheila since the wedding was that day would be logical or let me try Sheila because of the wedding she likely talked to Suzanne and maybe she told her what she was doing that day. Then if Sheila hadn't heard from her, then he jumps to the next thought. He seemed to go right to must have went missing riding her bike.

Did he try an email?

But that's JMO.
Would you immediately think m-m-mount-t-t-tain liiiiiiiion?
:p:D

I was not under the impression from the interview with Barry that he intended to "work" on the Broomfield site on Sunday. It's somewhat "morphed" into he went there to work but his words as expressed in the AA were to get eyes on the site and determine what was needed (page 18): Barry stated that he was scheduled to travel to Broomfield on May 10, 2020, to get eyes on the site and fully determine what was needed. Barry stated Morgan was supposed to travel to Broomfield that evening and Cassidy was due to arrive Monday morning.

IF this is what was happening, then why did he need to go at 5am? Why change from driving up with MG that evening if no work could be done? Why did he tell people he was there with workers if his intention was just to go see it? He can't tell so many different stories and expect people to believe anything he says.

Exactly! I feel like him saying to call Sheila since the wedding was that day would be logical or let me try Sheila because of the wedding she likely talked to Suzanne and maybe she told her what she was doing that day. Then if Sheila hadn't heard from her, then he jumps to the next thought. He seemed to go right to must have went missing riding her bike.
He jumped right into bike ride, was it a mountain lion? Like immediately.

Not my wife just recovered from her second bout of cancer, did you check the house? Wouldn't a medical issue be pretty high on the list, for most spouses?

For a 100% innocent person, this lie is the most concerning. If his wife being missing is totally a shock to him and he has zero to do with it, why would he lie to the neighbors and the police? Why did he even need to say exactly where he was? Why not leave it at I'm in Broomfield for work? For some reason he needed those he talked to to believe that narrative or he wouldn't have said it twice. Nobody (if he is innocent not even him) knew where she was or what happened and he needed to lie during the very first phone call he receives about her being missing. Very telling to me.
When dealing with LE, witnesses or suspects have several choices to make. They decide whether or not to talk to LE. If they do choose to speak with LE, they decide whether or not to lie to LE.

Barry chose poorly on both counts. No do overs.

He, and his attorneys, must be sick over all the talking and lying.

Exactly

His first thought should have been she was with her lover.

He didn't know about Jeff until much later.

He jumped right into bike ride, was it a mountain lion? Like immediately.

Not my wife just recovered from her second bout of cancer, did you check the house? Wouldn't a medical issue be pretty high on the list, for most spouses?

Bike was not home and he knew that from people calling him during the drive back from Broomfield. Suzanne was going to be watching a Zoom wedding in the afternoon so it's not inconceivable if she took daily rides that she might do that earlier than normal before the wedding. The mountain lion had been spotted in the area and in the affidavit it mentions the mountain lion again and that the original searchers Barry, George, Andy etc. tracked the lion over a period of time. (pg 56) The mountain lion theory was discarded pretty quickly within a week and confirmed by Sherriff Speeze that it had been eliminated during one of the first press conferences, but it does seem to fascinate people even though there is a small risk from mountain lions so until eliminated would have been a consideration given the area and the spotting of one....upwards of over 20 attacks in the last decade of people.

IF this is what was happening, then why did he need to go at 5am? Why change from driving up with MG that evening if no work could be done? Why did he tell people he was there with workers if his intention was just to go see it? He can't tell so many different stories and expect people to believe anything he says.

I didn't see where he told people he was going "with workers"...only that he was going up earlier than originally discussed and they were coming later. I agree it's "iffy" story....he said he didn't want to drive MG because he didn't want her smoking in his vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member