Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.
Based on an interview I watched, Grusing notably got real-world, deep dive, first hand exposure to the inner workings, mannerisms and justifications of a deeply disturbed serial killer by the name of Scott Kimball. This insight definitely contributed to Grusing’s successful career as an FBI Agent IMO. He knows what to look for and time/pace himself when interviewing these murderers to sniff them out. I feel he sensed there was more to BM beyond the murder of his wife and was extracting as much as he could based on his instincts and training. What that could possibly be is yet to be brought forward, but based on MOO of BM’s behavior and personality, I feel there is more there.

IMO MOO
Unfortunately, past successes in interrogations does not help the outcome of this case. I do applaud him for the the times he did acquire the needed info to convict.

Two years later now. There is no possibility of other charges. I want him charged and convicted of Murder. I wish he would have got enough in this case for a trial and conviction . it is rare to have a direct line to a murderer for 30 hours of questioning. Only one person had the ability to back BM into a corner and leave no reasonable doubt of his guilt. Grusing failed in that aspect, on this case.

I admit that the cat food piqued my interest. When do cats eat? Where was the cat found? Is it true that the cat had been confined to one room of PP? I don’t think that IE says things like that randomly. And the video of the remaining M family and IE-I don’t have anything nice to say so I guess I will keep my mouth shut.

Unfortunately, past successes in interrogations does not help the outcome of this case. I do applaud him for the the times he did acquire the needed info to convict.

Two years later now. There is no possibility of other charges. I want him charged and convicted of Murder. I wish he would have got enough in this case for a trial and conviction . it is rare to have a direct line to a murderer for 30 hours of questioning. Only one person had the ability to back BM into a corner and leave no reasonable doubt of his guilt. Grusing failed in that aspect, on this case.
BBM. I wonder if you'd be kind enough to explain these points, which you have often repeated.

The reason this case was dismissed was not insufficient evidence. In fact, the evidence presented in the AA and circulated in Chaffee County convinced a sufficient percentage of that community of BM's guilt that he couldn't get an impartial jury there, according to the judge.

Would I be wrong to infer from your statements that you believe BM would have confessed if he had been taken into custody, advised of his rights, and interrogated as a suspect, using the Reid technique or other coercive techniques? That he would not have exercised his right to an attorney and ceased to cooperate at all, as soon as that happened?

Do you believe a coercive interrogation can take place without taking the witness into custody?

In either case, would agent Grusing have been the one to make the decision to go coercive, or would it be Sheriff Spezze? After all, Agent Grusing was assisting local LE, not leading his own agency's inquiry.

It seems clear that you expected BM to be brought in to an interrogation room and coerced to confess. At this point I think that is an unrealistic expectation, but I'm open to persuasion.

BBM. I wonder if you'd be kind enough to explain these points, which you have often repeated.

The reason this case was dismissed was not insufficient evidence. In fact, the evidence presented in the AA and circulated in Chaffee County convinced a sufficient percentage of that community of BM's guilt that he couldn't get an impartial jury there, according to the judge.

Would I be wrong to infer from your statements that you believe BM would have confessed if he had been taken into custody, advised of his rights, and interrogated as a suspect, using the Reid technique or other coercive techniques? That he would not have exercised his right to an attorney and ceased to cooperate at all, as soon as that happened?

Do you believe a coercive interrogation can take place without taking the witness into custody?

In either case, would agent Grusing have been the one to make the decision to go coercive, or would it be Sheriff Spezze? After all, Agent Grusing was assisting local LE, not leading his own agency's inquiry.

It seems clear that you expected BM to be brought in to an interrogation room and coerced to confess. At this point I think that is an unrealistic expectation, but I'm open to persuasion.
My point is simple. We will never know if BM would have lawyered up, confessed, or denied culpability because he was never interrogated. The method used was ineffective in this case. BM is a free man, even after 30 hours of "interviews".

IDK JMO that Grusing was patiently waiting for information from his interviewee which may or may not have been related to BM's murder of Suzanne. I still think Bury was involved in other crimes and may have made his "living" in such a way. ''If I open up my life to you". MOO I also suspect Bury had some kind of substance abuse issue. MOO
oh yes all of this. I will not be surprised to find he has committed other atrocities. He seems to have a thing for 14 yr old girls. I sure hope IN authorities have their ears on hawk.

My point is simple. We will never know if BM would have lawyered up, confessed, or denied culpability because he was never interrogated. The method used was ineffective in this case. BM is a free man, even after 30 hours of "interviews".
Of course we know! BM was, in fact, taken into custody last May and advised. He would not submit to interrogation and did not confess. He immediately asked to see a lawyer and ceased to cooperate.

It isn't the investigator's sole decision to have an interrogation. The witness can, and often does, refuse as BM did.

The interviews OP discounts produced the evidence that supported probable cause for his arrest, probable cause to set the case for trial, and IMO, to convict. DA mistakes led to exclusion of the expert testimony needed to present that evidence, and the DA wisely decided on a re-set.

Investigators now have time to close off the defense's opportunities to play games with the nonsense SODDI and Girl Gone defenses, and do what they should have done in the first place: determine what they will present in their case in chief, get their reports, bios, and other documentation together, organize all the evidence for discovery, and do it right.

oh yes all of this. I will not be surprised to find he has committed other atrocities. He seems to have a thing for 14 yr old girls. I sure hope IN authorities have their ears on hawk.
I can’t believe that even for a hot moment. I know there have been people who push that theory but there is absolutely nothing that leads down that path of speculation.

Take note that all this talk by IE in regards to the civil suit arena is born of the untested, newly enacted Colorado law, effective Sept 2020 (passed in the wave of police reform after George Floyd's death), banning qualified immunity of law enforcement, allowing individuals and families to personally sue law enforcement officers for civil rights violations.

In IE's earlier interview a few days ago with local Westward, IE provided she worked on legislation last year that would allow defendants to personally sue Prosecutors but the bill failed to gain momentum-- which she's no doubt trying to correct using the Morphew case to create political awareness and reintroduce the bill.

Just this June, the Colorado legislature expanded its ban on qualified immunity to include Highway Patrol troopers and Colorado Bureau of Investigation officers.

Also, see public integrity violations:

SECTION 13. In Colorado Revised Statutes, add 24-31-113 as follows: 24-31-113. Public integrity - patterns and practices.

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY, OR ANY AGENT THEREOF, OR ANY PERSON ACTING ON BEHALF OF A GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY, TO ENGAGE IN A PATTERN OR PRACTICE OF CONDUCT BY PEACE OFFICERS OR BY OFFICIALS OR EMPLOYEES OF ANY GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY THAT DEPRIVES PERSONS OF RIGHTS, PRIVILEGES, OR IMMUNITIES SECURED OR PROTECTED BY THE CONSTITUTION OR LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE STATE OF COLORADO.

WHENEVER THE ATTORNEY GENERAL HAS REASONABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION HAS OCCURRED, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, FOR OR IN THE NAME OF THE STATE OF COLORADO, MAY IN A CIVIL ACTION OBTAIN ANY AND ALL APPROPRIATE RELIEF TO ELIMINATE THE PATTERN OR PRACTICE. BEFORE FILING SUIT, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL SHALL NOTIFY THE GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY OR ANY AGENT THEREOF, AND PROVIDE IT WITH THE FACTUAL BASIS THAT SUPPORTS HIS OR HER REASONABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE A VIOLATION OCCURRED. UPON RECEIPT OF THE FACTUAL BASIS, THE GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY, OR ANY AGENT THEREOF, HAS SIXTY DAYS TO CHANGE OR ELIMINATE THE IDENTIFIED PATTERN OR PRACTICE. IF THE IDENTIFIED PATTERN OR PRACTICE IS NOT CHANGED OR ELIMINATED AFTER SIXTY DAYS, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL MAY FILE A CIVIL LAWSUIT.
This is interesting. Has IE asked the Colorado AG to exercise his authority under this statute? What would be the worst case scenario for LS? Removal from office? The AG can seek any and all appropriate relief to eliminate a pattern or practice that deprives persons of the rights, privileges, or immunities provided by law. Would that include paying BM's attorney fees, I wonder?

This is interesting. Has IE asked the Colorado AG to exercise his authority under this statute? What would be the worst case scenario for LS? Removal from office? The AG can seek any and all appropriate relief to eliminate a pattern or practice that deprives persons of the rights, privileges, or immunities provided by law. Would that include paying BM's attorney fees, I wonder?
If I were Iris I would be strategizing how to recover expenses Barry incurred. He might need her again in the future and she knows that and knows what is probably left in his wallet.

Peace officer liability under Colorado's HB20-217 seems much more theoretical than real IMO. Personal liability is limited to $25,000.00 and the agency can defend and indemnify the officer even for that, if it chooses. The attorney who wins the case is entitled to attorney fees, paid by the agency. IMO much more has been made of this bill than is warranted. IMO, it is a mild incentive to police agencies to assure they maintain effective training and discipline.

Truly egregious violations by peace officers have always made qualified immunity a doubtful defense IMO. IE's many problems bringing a case include the inconvenient fact that no peace officer did anything that violated her client's rights. Searches, interviews, and arrest all were done properly.

Prosecutors have ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY with regard to decisions to file and try the case, and that won't change no matter what IE says or does. The discovery violations weren't willful according to the court's findings, so BM's liability claims aren't really viable. Just part of the PR campaign.

Two years ago, on Mother's Day, Suzanne was reported as a Missing Person although her body still has not been found. While I won't pretend to know what happened after she was killed, I am hopeful that this season of searching will finally lead to the discovery of where Suzanne was hidden.

This case upset me more than all I've followed with the exception of Abby and Libby's murders. I left WS for a couple of years after A&L's murders and have stepped away from Suzanne's murder, from time to time. The very thought of a man chasing his betrothed with a tranquilizer gun was so terrifying that it was nearly inconceivable, unthinkable, unbearable. Yet we know by the evidence garnered that Barry stalked, hunted, then chased after his wife as if she were a trophy in the mountains. Suzanne did not go down easy. Deep fingernail marks were made on her husband's arm as she fought for her life.

The second most common cause for a partner to be murdered is in order to gain. Cui bono? Who benefitted the most by Suzanne disappearing?

@ 1:00

"I just love my girls" Barry says while shaking head in affirmation.
"And, I love my wife. And, I just want her to be found" Barry says while shaking his head side to side with negative connotation.

@ 1:06 his eyebrows are raised but the grief muscle between them is smooth for there is no grief in him.

moo

Two years ago, on Mother's Day, Suzanne was reported as a Missing Person although her body still has not been found. While I won't pretend to know what happened after she was killed, I am hopeful that this season of searching will finally lead to the discovery of where Suzanne was hidden.

This case upset me more than all I've followed with the exception of Abby and Libby's murders. I left WS for a couple of years after A&L's murders and have stepped away from Suzanne's murder, from time to time. The very thought of a man chasing his betrothed with a tranquilizer gun was so terrifying that it was nearly inconceivable, unthinkable, unbearable. Yet we know by the evidence garnered that Barry stalked, hunted, then chased after his wife as if she were a trophy in the mountains. Suzanne did not go down easy. Deep fingernail marks were made on her husband's arm as she fought for her life.

The second most common cause for a partner to be murdered is in order to gain. Cui bono? Who benefitted the most by Suzanne disappearing?

"And, I love my wife. And, I just want her to be found" Barry says while shaking his head side to side with negative connotation.

@ 1:06 his eyebrows are raised but the grief muscle between them is smooth for there is no grief in him.

moo
Botox now along with the veneers? Bury is like lipstick on a pig. I’m afraid to watch the GMA video so I appreciate others reports and comments. Also putting on my big girl panties to watch it. Happy Mother’s Day and hopefully justice soon for Suzanne. I imagine her girls are having a rough time today. So totally wrong and unfair. Their father stole the greatest gift and cheated his daughters out of everything young girls deserve. Again lipstick on a pig.

CONCERNING MEASURES TO ENHANCE LAW ENFORCEMENT INTEGRITY, AND, IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, MAKING AN APPROPRIATION (i.e., the preface to Senate Bill 20-217),.... IMO, I don't see any expectation for the Attorney General to act pursuant to HB 20-217, but where this placeholder (i.e., Section 13) is simply being used to bleed the qualified immunity ban, very similar to how the Colorado legislature recently expanded the initial ban for "Peace Officers" to now include Highway Patrol troopers and Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officers. We know that IE is actively working to add Prosecutors to the list that can be held personally responsible for a money grab.

moo
Whatever benefit they thought this skit would accomplish is a giant fail to Bury. He seems to have gotten more stupid after two years. Comparing his mugshot with how he looks now, it appears killing Suzanne is eating him alive. No amount of botox, veneers, or tanning is going to help him. Karma doing its thing.

5/8/22

Missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew: Where the case stands two years later

Sunday marked the second Mother’s Day without missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew since the mom of two disappeared in 2020.

Tuesday will mark two years since Morphew was last seen on May 10, 2020, at age 49.

Over the course of two years, investigators have announced murder charges, among others, in connection with the case – against Suzanne’s husband, Barry Morphew – and then dropped the charges months later, just weeks before he was headed to trial. While the search for Suzanne continues, prosecutors said in April they believed they were close to locating her remains, which could implicate or exculpate her husband.

Meanwhile, Barry Morphew’s defense attorney, Iris Eytan, recently told ABC her team will be taking action against the district attorney on the case and will be calling for a probe into prosecutors’ mishandling of the investigation.

"They absolutely dismissed this case at this point because they knew they were going to lose this trial and Mr. Morphew was going to be acquitted and exonerated," she told reporters after the news of the dismissal.

Police said they were told Suzanne Morphew left for a bike ride on May 10, 2020, but never returned. A neighbor reported her missing, officials said at the time.

A few days later, investigators found an item possibly belonging to her, but several searches that included waterways did not turn up a body.

A week after she went missing, Barry Morphew posted a video on Facebook pleading for her safe return.

"No questions asked, however much they want, I will do whatever it takes to get you back," he said.

Andy Moorman, Suzanne Morphew’s brother, announced in mid-September he was recruiting volunteers to conduct an independent search.

"I need to find her, need to bring her home, give her a proper burial and closure for my family," he told KMGH-TV before the Sept. 24 search began. "And that’s my point. I’m not about finding somebody guilty or trying to inflict punishment on anyone. That’s not my job. That’s the law enforcement’s job."

The sheriff's office said it worked with law enforcement partners to execute over 135 search warrants statewide and interview more than 400 people in multiple states. The law enforcement teams looked into more than 1,400 tips.

Morphew was charged in May 2021 with murder, tampering with a deceased human body and tampering with physical evidence, among others, in connection with the May 2020 disappearance and presumed death of his wife.

In a 131-page affidavit released after Morphew's arrest, investigators described how Morphew realized he couldn’t control his wife and her decision to leave him, so instead "he resorted to something he has done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals," the document states.

But prosecutors then changed course, successfully asking a judge on April 19 to drop the charges. They further asked that the counts be dismissed without prejudice, meaning they could still re-submit charges if new information presented itself, according to the motion.

They argued that they felt they were close to finding Suzanne Morphew's remains, which could help or hurt their case against Barry.

"In typical homicide cases, the fact of the victim’s death is rarely at issue, but in a case such as this, the most influential fact of consequence is whether or not Ms. Morphew is deceased. If the body proves to be there, further forensic examination could potentially inculpate or exculpate the Defendant," the filing states. "Given the need to conduct further investigation to resolve these issues, this is a good faith basis to dismiss the current indictment."

They wrote that investigators had hoped to recover Morphew's remains in a remote area near the couple's mountainous home before the trial, but weather stymied their efforts.

"This area received a significant amount of snow over the winter months before a search could be completed," the motion states. "To date, the area has 5 feet of snow concealing the location where the People believe Ms. Morphew is located."

Suzanne Morphew's siblings agreed with the prosecution's request to drop the charges, District Attorney Linda Stanley said.

Eytan, Barry Morphew's lead attorney, slammed Stanley's office's handling of the case and called the charges "false from the beginning."

"The affidavit that was filed in this case was egregious, and wrong, and had so many misstatements that carried it through to preliminary hearing where more lies and perjury were committed in order to get Mr. Morphew wrongfully convicted," she said at a press conference after the dismissal.

Eytan said there was "not a single ounce" of physical evidence linking Barry Morphew to the case and noted that prosecutors have never before said they needed to find Suzanne Morphew's body in order to prosecute.

"In fact, there is DNA that is placed on all the critical items of evidence in this case – on the bike, on the bike helmet, in the house, in the car – that is linked to unknown males and has been linked to convicted sex offenders in this country."

She added: "And the prosecution has chosen not to follow those leads."

Morphew’s daughters, Macy and Mallory, stood by their father during an interview with ABC, which aired Friday.

"We’ve decided we finally want to break the silence," Mallory said.

"It’s been an emotional rollercoaster, but we feel like we can finally take our first steps in healing, which is a blessing," Macy added. "We just know our dad better than anyone else, and we know he was not involved in our mom’s disappearance."

Eytan is calling for a review of the prosecutors’ handling of the case.

"If you want to honor Suzanne and you want to honor the daughters, go find Suzanne," Eytan told ABC. "Prosecutors need to be held responsible, and they need to pay for the damage they caused to Barry, which is frankly nearly irreparable. Because it's hard for anybody to believe that Barry is not who they claim he was."

In a statement to ABC, Stanley's office said that prosecutors and law enforcement "have been diligently searching for Suzanne Morphew since she was reported missing" and continue doing so.

——————

BBM above. IMO Correction:
1.) Sunday marked the third Mother’s Day without missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew since the mom of two disappeared in 2020.

2.) Monday will mark two years since Morphew was last seen on May 9, 2020, at age 49.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I agree.
Based on an interview I watched, Grusing notably got real-world, deep dive, first hand exposure to the inner workings, mannerisms and justifications of a deeply disturbed serial killer by the name of Scott Kimball. This insight definitely contributed to Grusing’s successful career as an FBI Agent IMO. He knows what to look for and time/pace himself when interviewing these murderers to sniff them out. I feel he sensed there was more to BM beyond the murder of his wife and was extracting as much as he could based on his instincts and training. What that could possibly be is yet to be brought forward, but based on MOO of BM’s behavior and personality, I feel there is more there.

IMO MOO
Yes, agree.
I think it is also possible that BM could have been involved in activities that the Feds would not want brought to light. This thought may seem like an overreach, but I keep thinking about the lifestyle and finances of BM. The maintenance on either of those homes had to be quite costly. Seventy thousand in cash alleged in the safe? IDK MOO

All I’m saying is that I wish one of these 2 IN men that seem to have a ‘thing for 14 yr old girls’ would get caught and let justice be served. It is long overdue.

Attachments

• 4A54CFE1-D9AB-4B91-B598-EF0F80C633C6.jpeg
    4A54CFE1-D9AB-4B91-B598-EF0F80C633C6.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 22
The short version. DA could not handle case, from a bloated AA to making deadlines. Any low wage worker would have been fired after the messed up sandwiches at PH.
What I mean is that slack was continually afforded the state.
And the slack was getting to into the zone of a succesful appeal, so the judge stopped it.
IE is a defense lawyer with one job to do, get their client off.
You can't blame the elements, when you go out into a snow storm ill prepared and freeze to death.
This is why I think there is a possibility that the DA threw the case.
"Why didn't the DA punch?" is a fixing question.
He has to keep the lie going as long as possible. Unfortunately the investigation, prosecution, and Judge Llama made it possible for him to spin a narrative that was never challenged. She disappeared on a bike ride, after spending a great night together. The steak and sex were so good she ignored and stopped communicating with everyone she has ever known or loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave