Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have concerns about that statement from the prosecution. The defense had been impressive and offensive all at once. I always hoped for more from the state’s team, and never got there. I would be fine with a fresh set of eyes on the case, further down the road. I’ve seen so many times where the DA keeps telling investigators they need more before they are ready to pull the trigger. If it takes years, it takes years. At least Barry had to spend a ton of dough to stay on the outside for now. He will get his, one way or another. Religious man that he is, I would worry if I were him.
Yes, everyone is chatting about the snow and how they hope local law enforcement or someone connected is getting ready to go find Suzanne...but there is snow at the high elevations every year. I don't believe for a minute that he "prepared a site" sometime in summer or fall or 2019 let alone at a high elevation in early May of 2020. I also am leery of the prosecution claim that they think they know where she is. We can certainly hope and pray they find Suzanne so the families has some closure but I'm not holding my breath.

IMO Barry has quite a few supporters in other places too.

I cannot further explain the reasons why people would value Barry’s life over Suzanne’s without running afoul of moderation.

In my opinion, its not a matter of people valuing Barry's life over Suzanne's at all. It's about there being all kinds of reasonable doubt that BM killed her.
1) It's a matter of there not being any strong evidence to convict him.
2) It's also the strong support of his daughters (who would know BM and SM better than them?)
3) It's also a matter of LE and prosecution bringing in nonsensical evidence like a single round of ammunition found under their bed--without ever explaining what that stray round had to do with her disappearance (the answer is nothing, but to many city-people in the public, ammunition is "bad", hunting is "bad", and so that single round of ammo found on the floor is repeated in every news story as if it means something).
4) Its also the matter of the LE arresting BM before they had the evidence to convict him, which raises all kinds of issues about their fairness, competence, motivation, etc.
5) Its also about the prosecutors office not being competent and professional. Missing deadlines, etc., Not turning over evidence, etc.

I hope whoever killed SM faces justice. I'm not convinced it was BM, but I might be wrong. None of this means I value his life over hers. My opinion.

In my opinion, its not a matter of people valuing Barry's life over Suzanne's at all. It's about there being all kinds of reasonable doubt that BM killed her.
2) It's also the strong support of his daughters (who would know BM and SM better than them?)
3) It's also a matter of LE and prosecution bringing in nonsensical evidence like a single round of ammunition found under their bed--without ever explaining what that stray round had to do with her disappearance (the answer is nothing, but to many city-people in the public, ammunition is "bad", hunting is "bad", and so that single round of ammo found on the floor is repeated in every news story as if it means something).
4) Its also the matter of the LE arresting BM before they had the evidence to convict him, which raises all kinds of issues about their fairness, competence, motivation, etc.
5) Its also about the prosecutors office not being competent and professional. Missing deadlines, etc., Not turning over evidence, etc.
IDK
I hope whoever killed SM faces justice. I'm not convinced it was BM, but I might be wrong. None of this means I value his life over hers. My opinion.
IDK about "all kinds of reasonable doubt." From your list I'd say that #4 is important, in that an extra period of consolidation and close analysis would have represented an important step in the solidification of the state's case, and I'm not sure what the rush was, given that they could already apply pressure on BM via the smaller-scale cases they had against him.

FWIW, I think that #4 leads pretty much directly to some parts of your #5, the prosecutor's office missing deadlines and seeming (and at times being) to be losing the tight control over this case that a clean verdict should have required.

That said, I disagree with your premises #1-3. I place little faith in the capacity of even close family to judge accurately the disposition, let alone guilt, of a partner, parent or child. Look at the parents of Chris Watts, who still "know" that their son is innocent, or dear ol' Ma Frazee, and so on and so on and so on.

And I think that there's plenty of strong evidence that BM murdered his wife, despite the fact that some of that strong evidence focuses on behaviour and the rarefied minutiae of cell data and truck GPS. It's a compelling chain of actions, locations and non-actions, as we still see today -- where is this family in terms of organizing, participating in or even advertising search efforts on behalf of their beloved wife and mother?

So, yeah -- the state has not yet covered itself with glory in this case, but their omissions and flat-out failures do not exculpate BM. They can do a sucky job and he can still be absolutely stone-sure guilty of lying his l'il taupe chinos off and murdering Suzanne -- one does not exclude the other, IMO.

Well said.

Snow or not, I don't believe, they will find Suzanne. Why should they?
Agree. BM is impossible, irritating, maybe not even a good liar, but, give or take, look at the way it ended. Of the people watching the case, I bet 85% think he is guilty, and yet, he planned everything well enough, if he walks free. One thing he knows well, lives for, is hunting and processing the remains, so to say. Only a person who hunted and worked side-by-side with him could understand his way of thinking, and extrapolate it on his actions that night, guess what he could have done. But suspect BM is a lone wolf and there are no such people around him.

Agree. BM is impossible, irritating, maybe not even a good liar, but, give or take, look at the way it ended. Of the people watching the case, I bet 85% think he is guilty, and yet, he planned everything well enough, if he walks free. One thing he knows well, lives for, is hunting and processing the remains, so to say. Only a person who hunted and worked side-by-side with him could understand his way of thinking, and extrapolate it on his actions that night, guess what he could have done. But suspect BM is a lone wolf and there are no such people around him.
One area that I am focused on is the witness list. I think there are some first-hand witness vulnerabilities on the defense side....Suzanne's friend who BM told "you are Suzanne to me" along with the roving hands. Barry stayed with GD for a period of time right after the murder...What were those first-hand conversations about? What exactly did he tell MG in addition to "I could bury a body and it would never be found"? I think all of the impersonal, yet incriminating tekkie evidence, while crucial, needs to be accompanied by the human factor...i.e. those close to BM/SM who had contact with him shortly before and after the murder and have something specific to share. His ego would work against him in those interactions.

For posters saying there is reasonable doubt, what is that doubt exactly?

That she wasn't murdered?

That she was murdered but someone else did it?

I can't come up with any reasonable possibility to explain the known evidence, where BM is innocent.

I can't come up with any reasonable possibility to explain the known evidence, where BM is innocent.

If Barry doesn't know what happened to his wife, how can he know there's no evidence in the home?

He seems to be basing his confidence on a bike ride that never happened.

Whelp.

JMO

There would have been some reasonable doubt if
1. The bike ride wasn't staged
2. Barry reported Suzanne missing on Sat after he killed her
3.the phone and vehicle data wasn't incriminating
4. The Broomfield job was planned, and he worked on the project
5. Suzanne had not reached out to friends and family about DV and failing marriage- while Barry says the marriage was perfect
6. There was a DNA MATCH in multiple locations to another suspect
7. Barry didn't dig his own grave with lie after lie for 30 hours of questioning
8. Suzanne had any sign of life since May 9 2020 when Barry arrived at Puma Path

But wait there's more
Selling all assets, hiding girlfriend, burning journal, MG testimony, BM shooting chipmunk at time of Suzannes death, No searching with Andy or public, scratches on arms, sending in wifes ballot, and the famous steak and sex on May 9 2020- the day suzanne was murdered.

As far as I can tell no one else can come up with any other reasonable possibility either. On this forum alone there have been over 100 threads. We hear that he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, that it is the prosecutions job to prove
him guilty not the defense's job to prove him innocent etc - all true but none of those responses address the practical point What about the darn evidence ? No reasonable possibilites have been given IMO

As far as I can tell no one else can come up with any other reasonable possibility either. On this forum alone there have been over 100 threads. We hear that he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, that it is the prosecutions job to prove
him guilty not the defense's job to prove him innocent etc - all true but none of those responses address the practical point What about the darn evidence ? No reasonable possibilites have been given IMO
Innocent people have an alibi.....BM does not.

It doesn’t really matter right? It was prosecution’s job to prove he was guilty. That has not occurred so in the eyes of the law he is a free person. Why would you need an argument he is innocent at this point? No one knows yet one way or the other. I think most people that aren’t screaming he’s guilty from the mountain tops are saying give me a trial. Even members of Suzanne’s family are saying that.

It doesn’t really matter right? It was prosecution’s job to prove he was guilty. That has not occurred so in the eyes of the law he is a free person. Why would you need an argument he is innocent at this point? No one knows yet one way or the other. I think most people that aren’t screaming he’s guilty from the mountain tops are saying give me a trial. Even members of Suzanne’s family are saying that.

RBBM

Link, please?

TIA.

RBBM

Link, please?

TIA.
Every interview after the case was dismissed included a quote from at least one family member. There are dozens and dozens of articles after the dismissal. Mountainmail.com included a quote from Andrew Moorman and denverchannel.com used Melinda. Every family member essentially said find Suzanne and they will wait for a trial.

Everything matters. Justice deeply matters. Since there was no trial, new evidence, other possible suspects, investigative discussions, and possible theories are the logical next step. Like previous posters, I am open to any plausible cause of Suzanne Morphew death. So far I have only heard of one suspect who had the means and motive, according to the large amount of evidence in the AA.

Yes the case has been dismissed for technical reasons, but we still know what the evidence against the accused was thanks to the Prelim

So where is the reasonable doubt?

100 threads and I am yet to see any.

And the means, motive, timing, equipment, expertise, energy and stealth to conceal her.

Who better to hide/barry a body?

JMO
And to believe it's anyone other than Barry (without any evidence that someone else was involved) we have to believe somehow that this other person took her and disposed of her so well not to find her AND at the exact point in time that Barry had means, motive, timing, etc. all at the exact time her daughters were away ON MOTHERS DAY (what criminal thinks this is a great time or that a mother would be alone on Mother's Day and not immediately missed is she went missing from a bike ride, well except for Barry... he knew she wouldn't immediately be missed because he knew she was alone and he was in Broomfield)

Every interview after the case was dismissed included a quote from at least one family member. There are dozens and dozens of articles after the dismissal. Mountainmail.com included a quote from Andrew Moorman and denverchannel.com used Melinda. Every family member essentially said find Suzanne and they will wait for a trial.

I don't have time to peruse "dozens and dozens" of articles.

Just one link, please.

Everything matters. Justice deeply matters. Since there was no trial, new evidence, other possible suspects, investigative discussions, and possible theories are the logical next step. Like previous posters, I am open to any plausible cause of Suzanne Morphew death. So far I have only heard of one suspect who had the means and motive, according to the large amount of evidence in the AA.
I don't disagree with that. My point is solely that there was no trial. The prosecution has not yet proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Barry Morphew killed his wife. Finding Suzanne obviously will help. What if she is deceased and her body is found in Utah or New Mexico or somewhere that might not attach to Barry? All the circumstantial evidence in the world isn't going to overcome that. That is just one possibility. My point was just that there are many people "waiting" for a trial before they scream "Barry did it" from the mountaintops...including family. Not that the family or anyone doesn't believe that Barry had means, motive and opportunity in private. We can only guess. It is still the job of the state via the prosecution to prove this...and that has not happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater