Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion.

All the stuff about him opening the doors to his truck and backing his truck up, etc., how does that proved he killed SM? And why does he even need to explain why he opened and shut the doors to his truck? Its his truck and he can open and close the doors as much as he wants, whenever he wants. Maybe he couldn't sleep and decided to clean his truck...

Sometime I try to use my phone and I find I cannot because it's on airplane mode. But I didn't knowingly put it on airplane mode, but somehow it was, and for no nefarious reason. Probably akin to butt-dialing someone. So maybe that happened to BM. Why does his phone being on airplane more mean he killed his wife?

I'm not even saying that he didn't kill his wife, maybe he did. But maybe he didn't. To arrest him and jail him for months based on such thin "evidence", it seems as if something is off.

Maybe I am just not seeing things correctly here. Will someone please explain how him opening and closing his care doors means he killed his wife?

Can anyone please write a coherent summary of why he killed his wife and how the "evidence" (car doors opening, phone on airplane mode, throwing trash into dumpster, bullet on floor, etc.., fits into his murder of his wife and the subsequent coverup? Without all the vitriol that makes so many posts unreadable?
He needs to explain why he told LE that he was asleep in his bed with his wife while the telematics on his truck contradicts the statements he gave them. He can choose to remain silent while the prosecution illuminates those contradictions....if he so chooses.

<modsnip>

I think BM murdered his wife, SM, but I don't know that he did. I have concerns with this case, some of which I won't bring up here to stay within TOS. During the PH when it was stated that LE/DA believed BM chased SM and used a tranq dart on her, I hung my head because that does not sound plausible to me. I can think of other reasons why SM's phone would go dark, such as BM being home and she didn't want to risk any communication from JL coming through. I think it's possible that the affair was discovered/confirmed that night. I'm not sure what state of mind SM would be in with the affair coming to light when she didn't confide, as far as we know, to a single person about it. I don't think BM owes the Ritters the truth about anything; of course, he does LE. I don't think this was a random stranger abduction either. What has been presented in the AA would not be enough for me to convict someone of murder; it's just not. BM's actions were suspicious. We didn't see a trial, so I feel I'm in limbo with my opinion.

I'm also not a fan of BM; I'm a fan of Bill Murray.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

I think BM murdered his wife, SM, but I don't know that he did. I have concerns with this case, some of which I won't bring up here to stay within TOS. During the PH when it was stated that LE/DA believed BM chased SM and used a tranq dart on her, I hung my head because that does not sound plausible to me. I can think of other reasons why SM's phone would go dark, such as BM being home and she didn't want to risk any communication from JL coming through. I think it's possible that the affair was discovered/confirmed that night. I'm not sure what state of mind SM would be in with the affair coming to light when she didn't confide, as far as we know, to a single person about it. I don't think BM owes the Ritters the truth about anything; of course, he does LE. I don't think this was a random stranger abduction either. What has been presented in the AA would not be enough for me to convict someone of murder; it's just not. BM's actions were suspicious. We didn't see a trial, so I feel I'm in limbo with my opinion.

Agreed 100%.

My opinion.

All the stuff about him opening the doors to his truck and backing his truck up, etc., how does that proved he killed SM? And why does he even need to explain why he opened and shut the doors to his truck? Its his truck and he can open and close the doors as much as he wants, whenever he wants. Maybe he couldn't sleep and decided to clean his truck...

Sometime I try to use my phone and I find I cannot because it's on airplane mode. But I didn't knowingly put it on airplane mode, but somehow it was, and for no nefarious reason. Probably akin to butt-dialing someone. So maybe that happened to BM. Why does his phone being on airplane more mean he killed his wife?

I'm not even saying that he didn't kill his wife, maybe he did. But maybe he didn't. To arrest him and jail him for months based on such thin "evidence", it seems as if something is off.

Maybe I am just not seeing things correctly here. Will someone please explain how him opening and closing his care doors means he killed his wife?

Can anyone please write a coherent summary of why he killed his wife and how the "evidence" (car doors opening, phone on airplane mode, throwing trash into dumpster, bullet on floor, etc.., fits into his murder of his wife and the subsequent coverup? Without all the vitriol that makes so many posts unreadable?
If you’ve been following this case since the beginning and have read the Arrest Affadavit then you would know why BM opening and closing doors of his truck overnight Saturday into the wee hours of Sunday morning is damning evidence against BM since he told investigators he was asleep by 8pm Saturday night and didn’t wake until 4:30am Sunday morning to get ready to go to his “big job” (Not!) in Broomfield. Digital evidence doesn’t lie but BM sure does- I suggest reading the AA which is littered with BM lies and changing stories each time investigators confront him with evidence to the contrary of his statements a/k/a classic MO of murderers when investigators have them dead to rights. If you read the AA, you will also learn that BM intentionally put his phone on and took phone out of Airplane mode at convenient times i.e., when he was trying to hide his location and nefarious deeds.

At any rate, I shouldn’t even have to explain but here goes. Of course that one lie doesn’t “prove” BM killed SM. What it does do is further prove and expose BM as the blatant lying liar he is. Innocent people with nothing to hide, hide nothing/have no reason lie. The truth is the truth and doesn’t have to be ‘remembered’ nor does it ever change, and digital evidence a/k/a the new DNA, doesn’t lie.

The burden of proving BM killed SM is not our job, obviously, it is the prosecution’s job to prove BARD in a court of law. What I, and most here on WS can do, is objectively evaluate the known facts and evidence in a case and draw reasonable, rational, logical inferences/conclusions based on the totality of the evidence which in this case includes numerous blatant, provable lies that BM told investigators throughout the course of the investigation. That said, after evaluation of the facts and evidence in this case, FOR ME, there is only one reasonable, logical conclusion to be drawn- BM is not only a blatant, shameless lying liar who lies, he’s also a stone cold killer.

You can call it vitriol or whatever you’d like, makes no difference to me. I am here in support of justice for the victim- SUZANNE. And yes, I absolutely have a strong dislike/aversion to cold blooded killers who think it’s their right and feel justified (imo BM absolutely feels justified, that SM deserved to die and that she ‘made’ him do it- “Oh, Suzanne”….. SMDH), in taking someone’s life and then turns around and blames God for allowing it to happen. Pathetic.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
<modsnkip>

You raise fair points, and I understand that if you were on a jury for this trial, based solely on what has been provided in the AA and PH, you would acquit. So.. I’m curious. What evidence would bring you to convict?

<modsnip>

The issue in regard to Barry’s lies to the Ritters has nothing to do with whether or not the Ritters are owed the truth. The problem with the lie is that Barry lied to them about his activities and whereabouts during the period of time that the daughters were initially having trouble getting Suzanne on her cell. At this particular point in time, Suzanne was not yet formally “missing”. There was no reason for Barry to lie. The reason he lied is because he was jumping forward in his created narrative/alibi, which is a demonstration of consciousness of guilt.

The issue with regard to Barry’s lies to the Ritters has nothing to do with whether or not the Ritters are owed the truth. The problem with the lie is that Barry lied to them about his activities and whereabouts during the period of time that the daughters were initially having trouble getting Suzanne on her cell. At this particular point in time, Suzanne was not yet formally “missing”. There was no reason for Barry to lie. The reason he lied is because he was jumping forward in his created narrative/alibi, which is a demonstration of consciousness of guilt.
Absolutely. It's incredible evidence of "consciousness of guilt." There is absolutely no reason to lie unless you know a crime has been committed.

There's no overstating its significance.

My opinion.

First thing- (MOO) I am 100% sure BM killed his wife more or less how the prosecution says it happened and I would vote to convict him.

But I have to also agree that a skilled defense would shred that case to pieces and a juror who has not been following this case like I have would likely vote otherwise.

The Judge did the prosecution a huge favor by dismissing without prejudice.

They need more time to build this case.

<modsnip>

How did Suzanne's phone leave the house prior to the time Barry claims to have "heard her snoring" in the bed? After all, he was adament that she was in that bed.....And how did Suzanne's phone enter airplane mode after it and she went dark? The volume of of inconsistencies between Barry's statements to LE and the phone/vehicle data is enormous; and it covers a day and a half, from the time he arrived home Saturday afternoon, until he left Broomfield and arrived at the bike scene. This follows the "I'm done" phase.
There is always unreasonable doubt...Barry offered a laundry list of that sort....mountain lion, SODDI, bike accident, etc. but the threshold for the prosecution to convict is "beyond a reasonable doubt". The voluminous examples of BM making false, evasive or misleading statements to LE (and others) is over-whelming. Barry saw wildlife critters of every sort, up to and including the day before and on the supposed day of Suzanne's disappearance (elk)...but nobody saw Suzanne after Barry arrived home at or about 2:47 pm, Saturday......forever more.

Suzanne’s body being found out of state wouldn’t lend credibility to Barry’s innocence. Gannon Stauch’s body was found in Florida, 1400 miles away from where he was murdered.

just sayin’..
I agree. And If I recall correctly, the OP quoted has long purported that BM had SM's body disposed of at a location unknown to him. That doesn't make BM any less guilty of murdering his wife. JMO

In addition to the the technical and statement evidence against BM....I would hope the jury is told about the "coincidences": The daughters are gone during several days before and after SM's disappearance; she supposedly took a "morning" bikeride, in mid-30 degree weather...rather than her clearly-established pattern of riding mid-afternoon in May in the high 60s/low 70s; the convenient presence of wild-life at every facet of time that Barry is questioned about, how that wildlife got his attention, and what he did in the moment: "shooting chipmunks"..."following elk"...."searching for a turkey"...."tranquilizing deer".....and on and on....and the greatest convenience of all: the 14 1/2 hours that BM claims to have been with SM before getting into his truck and heading to Broomfield....where no one ever saw or spoke to SM besides Barry, even though her daughters were on a trip; she was preparing for her friend's wedding and communicating with her before Barry arrived home; and her routine pattern of communicating with JL ceased after the last proof of life...all of which was completely and permanently with Barry on site. What a coincidence.

Not being able to meet proof positive presumption great at the preliminary which tilts toward the prosecution was a huge warning shot to the prosecution that the case was more weak than strong at that time.
^^rsbbm
I disagree that the case was 'more weak' [weaker] during the preliminary but that the state failed to meet the burden after allowing CBI's Cahill to testify on the DNA in a manner that was not consistent with the evidence and/or how the witness was previously prepared by the prosecution. Seems to me that Cahill had his own agenda and it's unfortunate that his reputation was not better known to the prosecutor at the time. MOO

For posters saying there is reasonable doubt, what is that doubt exactly?

That she wasn't murdered?

That she was murdered but someone else did it?

I can't come up with any reasonable possibility to explain the known evidence, where BM is innocent.

I've seen people say SM's Mother Day's bike ride didn't happen and it was staged by BM, but I don't see how anyone can be certain. Is it because she wasn't wearing a backpack she usually wore? Or that she took a route she usually didn't take? People can do things differently. In my opinion it isn't evidence that she didn't go on a Mother's Day bike ride and was abducted.

Did anyone see BM toss SM's bike down the slope? If not, how can anyone be certain that's what happened?

I believe one or more of the hunters or firefighters who spent time with BM came forward late in the proceedings, with information from which inferences were made.
I recall a local gentleman (who worked with BM) that attended the first day of the prelim who gave a comment to a reporter in the parking lot that he had an idea where SM might be recovered. I've long wondered about that location.

What would be really helpful is a wallsize board with Suzanne's activities (including cessation of activity) in the days leading up to and including Mother's Day Weekend, Column 1. Column 2, Barry's, as determined by his cellular and vehicle data plus CCTV where applicable. Column 3, what Barry said he was doing. And Column 4, and overlay of 1 and 2.

Barry's "careful" staging eliminates alternative theories.

If Suzanne got herself gone, Barry would've had no need to stage her bike (his phone places him in the area of the bike around 4 am). Barry indicted himself.

Barry went to Broomfield 12 hours early, spent his morning soddening towels, changing clothes and making multiple trash runs before he even bothered to pass by the wall. Then, as others have noted, from the comfort of his hotel room where he'd been reclining for five hours of near nothingness, he claimed he was at a worksite, with workers present -- offering an alibi before a crime was determined! Self-incriminating again.

When Barry arrived back in Maysville, he doubled down, reasserting the same -- up in Denver, working with workers. Big job. Snow job.

Everybody else was trying to make sense of the senseless, nonsensical absence of Suzanne. Barry, however, hyper focused on the scene he created. The bike. The phone. The m-m-mountain l-l-lion.

Consider-- anyone who has faced a missing loved one likely runs through what's likely, then less likely before confronting the unlikely. People want their people found!

Suzanne could've (in theory) have been knocked out, taken in by a passing good Samaritan. She could've staggered home and was missing 100 yards away. Hit and run, a drunk driver could've panicked, tossed her bike out of the way, bundled Suzanne up and discarded her four states away. Suzanne could've run off with a friend or a lover or decided to catch a fast plane to her friend's daughter's wedding. All possibilities should have been on the table.

Barry telegraphed his pre-knowledge. He knew she wasn't findable and he broadcast that from the moment his quivery voice exited his truck. Foreknowledge -----> consciousness of guilt.

Burning her journal, disposing of her phone charger -- rookie moves. Reveals that he started his staging early -- erasing signs of discord. It's not lost on me -- volunteer firefighter used fire for nefarious purposes. Not to save but to destroy.

As for Barry chasing Suzanne through the house, that's not an outlandish invention by the Prosecution. Cellular data backs it up. And unbelievably Barry himself backs it up -- with his ridiculous fable, chasing chipmunks, gunning them down with his .22.

That a sheath was found, and in conjuction with the load of laundry bearing his shorts from the very day, and that tranq materials are missing, which he confirms he discarded -- Barry puts himself in and around the house, running after prey.

That there's no biological evidence in the home has evidentiary value. How could he kill Suzanne with no trace of blood? The tranq explains that.

The Prosecution didn't make that up!

Barry messed up. Fortuitous that he washed his shorts instead of Broomfielding them.

The sheath explains how Barry overpowered Suzanne cleanly. His shorts, his skillset, his phone in and out of airplane mode, multiplied by his chipmunk explanation.

And that Suzanne remains missing, that points to Barry too. He's an earthmover.

Barry listened to both too many and not enough true crime podcasts. He overthought it, overstaged it. And then acted it out all wrong

Random abductors don't take time to burn journals and neither do mountain lions.

Barry wove an explanation so tight, so incredulous, he left no room for alternatives.

JMO

If you’ve been following this case since the beginning and have read the Arrest Affadavit then you would know why BM opening and closing doors of his truck overnight Saturday into the wee hours of Sunday morning is damning evidence against BM since he told investigators he was asleep by 8pm Saturday night and didn’t wake until 4:30am Sunday morning to get ready to go to his “big job” (Not!) in Broomfield.
RSBM - Correct me if I’m wrong, but the evidence is that the door to BM’s truck opened and closed 80 something times in the wee hours of Mother’s Day. No evidence that I’ve seen exist that point to BM being the one that did the opening.

Other possibilities would be a thief looking for something to steal (I’ve had an ashtray full of change stolen overnight) or glitches in the data. Frankly, I have a hard time believing the doors opened and shut that many times no matter who it was, so I’m guessing a data glitch do some sort.

I was looking forward to the expert’s from both sides explaining this. Does anyone have a theory on why BM or anyone would open and close the doors so many times when the truck wasn’t driven?

MOO

RSBM - Correct me if I’m wrong, but the evidence is that the door to BM’s truck opened and closed 80 something times in the wee hours of Mother’s Day. No evidence that I’ve seen exist that point to BM being the one that did the opening.

Other possibilities would be a thief looking for something to steal (I’ve had an ashtray full of change stolen overnight) or glitches in the data. Frankly, I have a hard time believing the doors opened and shut that many times no matter who it was, so I’m guessing a data glitch do some sort.

I was looking forward to the expert’s from both sides explaining this. Does anyone have a theory on why BM or anyone would open and close the doors so many times when the truck wasn’t driven?

MOO
All the evidence points to it being Barry. There were 80 truck events, not 80 door events. This could be a door opening, and lights coming on, which would account for several events with one action.

He claimed to have woken to his alarm clock at 4:30, then changed his story to waking up on his own at that time (when confronted with evidence that showed he was lying).

A download of his phone showed that it was active at the same time the truck showed activity, and that it registered 200 plus location events that night, as opposed to the usual 0-2.

Not only that, but Suzanne's phone was apparently active as well shortly after this, before it pinged one final time, which occurs when a phone is powered down.

Minutes later Barry left the house, and drove straight to Broomfield. Well, except for the left turn that took him right past the helmet...

So Barry returns from dumping the body, dumps the bike, gathers evidence that he plans to dispose of in Broomfield, powers down Suzanne's phone, dumps the helmet, and drives to Broomfield so he can dump trash, sit in his hotel from for 5 hours, and then repeatedly lie about the whole thing.

As one does...

Page 35:

On May 9th, at 10: 17 PM, an "airplane mode off' event started on Barry's phone and the phone was then powered on at 4:32 AM on May 10, 2020.

That May 9-10, 2020 night, approximately 210 locations for Barry's phone registered near the Morphew residence, compared to zero-to-two locations on previous nights from May 1st through May 8th.

On May 10, 2020, Barry's phone display came on and his device was unlocked at 3:56 AM. On May 10, 2020, from 3:25 AM to 3:48 AM, the Ford F-350 registered O mph with GPS at Morphew residence as the doors opened and closed multiple times. SA Hoyland noted over eighty (80) events involving the F350 during this timeframe.

The location data for Suzanne's phone last registered with a tower near the Morphew residence at 4:23 AM.

MOO
I don’t have the AA in front of me atm but I believe that number is correct, 80 truck events not all of which involve opening/closing truck doors iirc. And no, there isn’t video evidence of BM opening and closing doors to his truck in the middle of the night/wee hours of Sunday morning. Just as there isn’t video evidence of him dumping the bike. As to my own personal theory why someone would be up and opening and closing truck doors (however many times out of 80) of their stationary vehicle in the middle of the night, imo because after murdering someone they are likely running on adrenaline and no sleep and I can envision BM going back and forth between the house and the truck, checking and re-checking the truck to ensure that he removed all incriminating evidence from the crime scene to haul to Broomfield so he could dispose of said evidence hundreds of miles away which imo, is exactly what he did in his 5 trash dumps in various locations around Broomfield- disposed of incriminating evidence and not just some random trash that he claimed to throw away to clean out his truck, yet returned to town with a dirty truck interior full of random trash according to investigators and noted in the AA.

Again, imo this one occurrence (opening and closing doors of stationary vehicle overnight) alone might not look/be suspicious, but when you consider it together with all the other known facts and evidence in this case, iow put the puzzle pieces together/connect the dots if you will, it’s the totality of all the powerful circumstantial evidence taken together that points in only one direction/to one person being responsible for eliminating SM from this earth-BM. Not to be flippant, but I don’t think wildlife were messing with his truck and/or opening and closing truck doors and to my knowledge, BM didn’t report that someone had been rummaging around in his truck in the middle of the night and/or stole something out of it. Also, don’t quote me as I don’t have the PH notes in front of me but it was expressed, I think by one of the investigators that the telematics are more likely to miss events than to erroneously record them, something to that effect.

I think we were all looking forward to hearing the expert testimony with regard to the telematics but as we know, the case was dismissed w/o prejudice so we didn’t get the chance to hear important expert testimony. Yet.

My hope is that the prosecution takes the time to organize their case better, that SM’s remains are located, charges refiled and that we will hear it all at a future trial, sooner than later. I agree with others who have opined that if/when charges are refiled, it wouldn’t hurt to have a special Prosecutor assigned/brought on board to help present the voluminous amount of evidence in a methodical, clear, convincing manner to the jury.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I've seen people say SM's Mother Day's bike ride didn't happen and it was staged by BM, but I don't see how anyone can be certain. Is it because she wasn't wearing a backpack she usually wore? Or that she took a route she usually didn't take? People can do things differently. In my opinion it isn't evidence that she didn't go on a Mother's Day bike ride and was abducted.

Did anyone see BM toss SM's bike down the slope? If not, how can anyone be certain that's what happened? ^^bbm
Respectfully, people have opined the bike was staged based on reports, evidence, and testimony -- much of which has been documented for easy reference in the MEDIA ONLY thread linked below for OP's convenience.

A couple of days ago, I posted a news photo of the Colorado mountains with 8" of new snowfall. May snowfall is typical of the area in question and where early May (i.e., Mother's Day) is hardly the mark of biking season in full swing, as also evidenced by SM having her bike serviced only days before Mother's Day in preparation for regular, seasonal riding.

This wasn't a matter of SM just doing things differently. In this case, it's simply not reasonable that on one of her first rides of the 2020 biking season, SM would attempt to ride a trail deemed challenging for an experienced, train-fit individual.

More importantly, not only were expected details of the physics and biomechanics that occur in a fraction of a second where a cyclist crashes completely absent but so was any physical evidence. In other words, the staging of the bicycle is not just conjecture. MOO

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...020-media-maps-timeline-no-discussion.521590/

I really hope SM's remains are found soon. Certainly for the sake of prosecution, but especially for closure for her family and friends.
Looks like Monarch Pass is still cold and snowy. Yesterday, it was 19 degrees on Monarch Pass and snowing. I realize the snow will (should) melt quickly, but realistically when can they start a search for SM's remains?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member