Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you what I wouldn't convict on:

--prosecution's Hanna-Barbera tranq gun theory (voluntarily withdrawn when they realized it's actually impossible with the alleged weapon)
--the dog handler's testimony (witness voluntarily withdrawn when prosecution realized he wasn't testifying how they expected--quite the opposite! For anyone curious, look it up in the case record. The handler is on police bodycam at the bike scene stating the dog followed her scent along the creek. Please think for yourself about the implications to the case with this one.)
--the idea that LE can pinpoint a suspect's location to the degree they can follow him around a residential property and re-construct a murder based on historical cell tower data in a semi rural area and/or GPS. Or even better, a timeline based on a truck events.

There's more, too much to list, but ultimately I never felt they had a coherent case beyond he was home at specific times, she disappeared, and there was marital discord. People harp on about his lies and inconsistencies, but the fact is every person lies or gets tripped up when interrogated, that's the entire point of it. Yes, innocent people do "lie" to cops all the time, it's why innocent people need representation most of all. He was questioned by local LE and FBI for what, 30 hours without an attorney present? The only noteworthy things about that are 1) he didn't stop before requesting an atty and 2) they didn't squeeze out a confession from him in all that time.

Nothing we saw prior to the trial would be enough, if I'm sitting on that jury, for me to convict on first degree murder and send someone to prison with LWOP and only one is needed. Hearsay and circumstantial evidence, sure, but circumstantial evidence can be painted any way you want. Combine it with confirmation bias and it's a bad mix. They need to find her remains, although I suspect any future prosecution will run into many of the same issues unless something more concretely damning is unearthed.
The prosecution didn't need the telematics or phone data to prove BM was at Puma Path the very hour SM ceased to show any signs of life in this world. When confronted with the evidence, BM admitted he was there at that time, with a weapon in his hand, shooting chipmunks. Angry that his wife was actively planning to divorce him. The prosecution does not need to prove how he killed her, only that he killed her.

BM was never interrogated. He was interviewed. The investigators didn't trip him up: he tripped over his own lies as each was exposed to him. His manifest lies are of a piece with his fake alibi, evidence of mens rea.

For people who are not indulging in cynicism and looking for reasons to doubt, but rather applying reason and common sense to the evidence (as jurors are instructed), there's plenty of evidence to find BM guilty.

Glad to see Grusing is still on the case. If I needed concrete proof that Speeze's commitment to continuing the investigation is real, Grusing"s presence in Salida would do it for me.

This post is just my opinion.

I think that if a tranquilizer gun was used, the article would have said that.

I think the usual route to administer a drug to incapacitate a person would be oral. Like when rapists put what are called "roofies" into the drink of a person and then sexually assault the victim while they are unconscious.

Some murders are committed via injections. Claus von Bulow injected his wife with insulin. Killer nurses can inject poison via an IV setup or via an injection. But in those cases the victim was already likely sedated and supine.

Some murderers, largely female as I recall, use poison to kill their victims. Such poison is usually administered orally, hidden in food.

I just have never ever heard of a single case where the murderer used an animal tranquilizing gun to fire a dart loaded with drugs into a heathy person, then wait for the 5 to 10 minutes it would take for the drug to take effect, and then murder the unconscious victim. It seems so unusual a method that I question the prosecution's theory that this is what happened. And the evidence is based on a needle sheath found in the dryer?

Further, I don't believe the prosecution had presented any evidence that BM had purchased incapacitating drugs that could be used in a tranquilizer gun. If the prosecution is correct and this is what indeed BM did, perhaps he purchased Fentanyl on the black market and used that?

Also I don't recall that LE seized BMs tranquilizing gun as evidence. Did they?

The idea that a man would use a tranquilizing gun for animals for the first time in the history of crime to commit a murder against his wife of 26 years, and the mother of his two children--it just doesn't seem likely to me.

Also, does anyone have any info on if BM has a history of arrests? For domestic abuse or for anything else? Seems difficult to believe a guy his age would chose murder of his wife as his first crime.

MOO

I think that if a tranquilizer gun was used, the article would have said that.

I think the usual route to administer a drug to incapacitate a person would be oral. Like when rapists put what are called "roofies" into the drink of a person and then sexually assault the victim while they are unconscious.

Some murders are committed via injections. Claus von Bulow injected his wife with insulin. Killer nurses can inject poison via an IV setup or via an injection. But in those cases the victim was already likely sedated and supine.

Some murderers, largely female as I recall, use poison to kill their victims. Such poison is usually administered orally, hidden in food.

I just have never ever heard of a single case where the murderer used an animal tranquilizing gun to fire a dart loaded with drugs into a heathy person, then wait for the 5 to 10 minutes it would take for the drug to take effect, and then murder the unconscious victim. It seems so unusual a method that I question the prosecution's theory that this is what happened. And the evidence is based on a needle sheath found in the dryer?

Further, I don't believe the prosecution had presented any evidence that BM had purchased incapacitating drugs that could be used in a tranquilizer gun. If the prosecution is correct and this is what indeed BM did, perhaps he purchased Fentanyl on the black market and used that?

Also I don't recall that LE seized BMs tranquilizing gun as evidence. Did they?

The idea that a man would use a tranquilizing gun for animals for the first time in the history of crime to commit a murder against his wife of 26 years, and the mother of his two children--it just doesn't seem likely to me.

Also, doesn't anyone have any info on if BM has a history of arrests? For domestic abuse or for anything? Seems difficult to believe a guy that age would chose murder of his wife as his first crime.
If it was just the needle sheath in the dryer, then that would be weak evidence. Fortunately, that wasn't it at all.

Barry initially claimed that he had never fired a tranquilizer gun in Colorado. He also couldn't remember the name of the reversal agent.

Later on, Barry did what killers frequently do, he changed his story, and admitted to a lesser crime. He claimed that he had shot two deer with tranquilizer darts in April, and sawed off their antlers.

There are several problems with this:

One, deer don't have antlers that time of year (or ones you'd want as trophies).

Secondly, what?!

Third, the tranquilizer gun in his garage would have required a modification in order to fire (duct tape).

Fourth, he admitted to possibly throwing away tranquilizer materials on the very day Suzanne disappeared. Amazing!

Fifth, there's just no way something that large could have gone undetected for any length of time inside that dryer (giving Barry the insane benefit of the doubt about April).

Crazy as it is, Barry is telling us that the tranquilizer dart is relevant. If he used a gun, it's missing. I'm also open to it being done manually.

Although there is plenty of precedent for killers injecting their victims with something like succinylcholine, which basically paralyzes you and can stop breathing, I'm not sure about precedent for the drug Barry apparently used.

Then again, most people don't have access to a controlled substance like that, nor are they as obsessed with hunting as Barry.

Page 120. Equal parts poetic and pathetic:

Barry said, "All I have now is my hunting. That's all I have. And I've done it since I was seven years old. So, if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my hunting.

BBM - I am in total agreement with you, especially in relation to your last point BBM. I am also curious how certain/exact cell data at PP is, bearing in mind lack of service.

The accused himself confirmed the accuracy of the location data in his interview

Location is based off multiple signals I.e GPS, cellular and WiFi.

Given you can compare to baseline activities you can certainly get a good read... eg. From GPS alone.

Obviously it would not be as definitive as triangulated from 3 towers ...

But given the accused confirmed the data I think we can accept it was in fact accurate

If it was just the needle sheath in the dryer, then that would be weak evidence. Fortunately, that wasn't it at all.

Barry initially claimed that he had never fired a tranquilizer gun in Colorado. He also couldn't remember the name of the reversal agent.

Later on, Barry did what killers frequently do, he changed his story, and admitted to a lesser crime. He claimed that he had shot two deer with tranquilizer darts in April, and sawed off their antlers.

One, deer don't have antlers that time of year (or ones you'd want as trophies).

Secondly, what?!

Third, the tranquilizer gun in his garage would have required a modification in order to fire (duct tape).

Fourth, he admitted to possibly throwing away tranquilizer materials on the very day Suzanne disappeared. Amazing!

Fifth, there's just no way something that large could have gone undetected for any length of time inside that dryer (giving Barry the insane benefit of the doubt about April).

Crazy as it is, Barry is telling us that the tranquilizer dart is relevant. If he used a gun, it's missing. I'm also open to it being done manually.

Although there is plenty of precedent for killers injecting their victims with something like succinylcholine, which basically paralyzes you and can stop breathing, I'm not sure about precedent for the drug Barry apparently used.

Then again, most people don't have access to a controlled substance like that, nor are they as obsessed with hunting as Barry.

Barry said, "All I have now is my hunting. That's all I have. And I've done it since I was seven years old. So, if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my hunting.
Interesting that Barry said "if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my hunting"......as opposed to "if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my daughters". Another revealing layer of the subject that is Barry Morphew.

Interesting that Barry said "if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my hunting"......as opposed to "if I got to live this life without her, I at least want my daughters". Another revealing layer of the subject that is Barry Morphew.
Yup, that was the "pathetic" part.

An accused murdered harassed!

Whatever next!
Grusing didn't have to do anything or say anything that could be construed as harassment. Just seeing him in Salida would give BM a sense of dread - that Nemesis in human form is coming for him, relentless and inevitable. Just when he thought he could relax, go back to normal, and get a haircut in the old hometown.

Secondly, what?!

Yes, for me it's the sheath plus your fourth reason. I keep trying to get rid of the tranq idea mentally but it seems to be an important part of the disposal trip.

My mental recreation is that she was either chased with the tranq gun or ran post-tranq'ed to the bedroom and grabbed the .22 pistol, trying to load it. He broke in and finished the immobilization of her (and possibly strangled with phone cord.) Ugh, horrible.

Speaking of the work/disposal trip, does anyone remember if we know when the reservations at the hotel were made (post Sat afternoon perhaps)? Somehow I think having a hotel room to get cleaned up, possibly with bleach, was more important the the disposals. JMO.

Yes, for me it's the sheath plus your fourth reason. I keep trying to get rid of the tranq idea mentally but it seems to be an important part of the disposal trip.

My mental recreation is that she was either chased with the tranq gun or ran post-tranq'ed to the bedroom and grabbed the .22 pistol, trying to load it. He broke in and finished the immobilization of her (and possibly strangled with phone cord.) Ugh, horrible.

Speaking of the work/disposal trip, does anyone remember if we know when the reservations at the hotel were made (post Sat afternoon perhaps)? Somehow I think having a hotel room to get cleaned up, possibly with bleach, was more important the the disposals. JMO.
When the hotel rooms were booked is a very important question. I actually don't think we ever got an answer.

As for the Chlorine smell, I'm not convinced it's related. We haven't heard a theory in that regard.

RSBM...As i recall both the police and later Lauren remarked on the visible cameras. I believe they thought the property would be well covered.

I have always thought Barry threw the bike, then later glanced around the truck and saw the helmet, or remembered it was back home. I doubt if he knew what the camelbak was but knew she would not be riding without her helmet. My God, without the helmet it may have looked "staged'

It would be like choosing a route she had never taken, oh wait!
I can definitely visualize your explanation of Barry's realization about the helmet "oh, poop" moment. Good point.

I'd be excited to hear that the house was always secured though. That would narrow the likelihood of a stranger to very low. That would tighten the narrative that it was Barry. Like others here, I wish there were even more solid ties to Barry, rather than a very well fitting story, even though I believe he did it. I have to admit that the presence of the cameras don't say too much to me in days of masks and hats and sunglasses.

IMO.

BM is seriously accusing a former FBI agent of harassing him at the barber shop? :rolleyes:

In my opinion, if the FBI showed up at the barber shop, asking questions in a public place, while BM is getting a haircut, and BM has already said "no comment" or "See my attorney", then I agree that would in fact constitute harassment. MOO

I'd love to know the real circumstances here. Grusing is now retired, and although the investigation is still open, I can't imagine he's still involved.

My hope is that this wasn't a coincidence, but who knows.
I'm sure the same type of coincidence it was that Barry happened to head toward where her bike was tossed in the early morning hours of Mother's Day and you know the same type of coincidence that also had him heading toward the place the helmet was dumped before heading out of town. Then there is the biggest of all coincidence that he happened to be out of town on Mother's Day doing work he couldn't legally do, but actually didn't do just lied and said he did on a day his daughters just happened to be out of town and a random stranger or mountain lion or CBD Tim or... well you know any one of them snatched her from a bike ride that she just happened to go on at a time she never did, in a place she never did, without items she usually brings. So many coincidences here, I'm sure it was also coincidence that Grusing needed a hair cut same time Barry did.

I'm sure the same type of coincidence it was that Barry happened to head toward where her bike was tossed in the early morning hours of Mother's Day and you know the same type of coincidence that also had him heading toward the place the helmet was dumped before heading out of town. Then there is the biggest of all coincidence that he happened to be out of town on Mother's Day doing work he couldn't legally do, but actually didn't do just lied and said he did on a day his daughters just happened to be out of town and a random stranger or mountain lion or CBD Tim or... well you know any one of them snatched her from a bike ride that she just happened to go on at a time she never did, in a place she never did, without items she usually brings. So many coincidences here, I'm sure it was also coincidence that Grusing needed a hair cut same time Barry did.
To believe he's innocent, one literally has to believe that a couple dozen coincidences occurred (maybe more).

Coincidences obviously do happen, but they don't come in bunches.

Also, does anyone have any info on if BM has a history of arrests? For domestic abuse or for anything else? Seems difficult to believe a guy his age would chose murder of his wife as his first crime.
Physical altercation at Indiana job site - illegal behavior
Gun violation Colorado - illegal behavior
Voter fraud - illegal behavior

Barry’s criminal behavior persists outside of murder in the 1st degree.

Just curious what the agenda you believe CBI's Cahill had in your opinion? And what is the reputation you say the prosecutor should have known about?

I ask because I am still trying to assemble the pieces of this case in my mind and I know nothing about CBI's Cahill or his reputation, except that he resigned his position because of an accidental discharge of his service weapon in which he injured his hand. Also he told internal affairs investigating his accidental discharge that BM was arrested by the sheriff way too soon, and that the case was not remotely ready to proceed. But I can not see how this statement (which appears to me to be true), translates into a hidden agenda and a "reputation". Just my opinion. Thank you! ^^bbm
My opinion on former Agent Cahill is based on what's public record and previously reported here.

To be clear, former Agent Cahill did not resign from CBI because he was injured during an accidental discharge of his weapon while at home. He resigned because he lied to internal affairs during their investigation of the alleged accidental discharge, and the actions he took to cover up the facts, i.e., agent resigned to avoid being terminated.

Pursuant to Cahill's investigation by internal affairs, CBI put DA Stanley on notice that Cahill had credibility issues. The December 2021 Brady Letter by the CBI Director was previously posted here as well as the MEDIA ONLY thread.

From earlier posts, we know that although Cahill had more than 20 years of experience working with US Army Counterintelligence (and still obligated to Army deployment, as he testified during the preliminary), Cahill was relatively new with the CBI. I don't recall any evidence or testimony that Cahill had worked a case in Chaffee County before.

Relative to Cahill's participation at the preliminary hearing, it's no secret that after the DA's office prepared Agent Cahill to testify at the hearing, his testimony was inconsistent with his instruction.

I'm not familiar with OP's recollection where Cahill went so far as to conflate internal affairs investigating his personal weapons incident with his opinion that BM was arrested too soon. If true, this sure appears to me as "don't look at me -- look over there" by Cahill."

(I thought Cahill blamed BM's early arrest after fielding calls from BM's defense attorney IE, and further feared BM's civil lawsuit for false arrest and defamation). MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn