Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staging is the aspect of these cases which most interests me (2nd only to the cut and thrust of trials).

I would argue that we need to be every careful about deduction vs inductive reasoning.

The first point is that the poisoner is a rare kind of murderer. Nevertheless if we suspect poisoning in a case, profiling might tell us what to look for. e.g. the murderer is trying to conceal the method of murder, and sometimes also the fact of murder. But especially the clinical, cold blooded nature of it suggests a cunning mind. Stupefying the victim is about control.

For example, in the "disappearance" of Helen Bailey, she was drugged with sleeping pills, and possibly dumped alive into a hidden septic tank by her husband. The motive was financial. She was a wealthy author and he wanted the money and the house without her in the way. In other words, she was a problem that needed to be solved in a bloodless way. This strikes me as similar to the motive and approach in this case.

But the other point one can make is the genesis of these plots is often opportunistic. The poisoner uses the method available, or where she/he has experience - e.g a rare poison stolen from a university lab. Remember the domestic poisoner is not a hardened killer. The plan will be developed over time, and will be designed to place the least emotional stress on the killer, compared with your typical bloodlust crime.

So this is where deductive reasoning has to play a secondary role to inductive reasoning.

What circumstantial evidence do we find of poisoning to support the theory?

I see the cap in the dryer as more of a small clue to what happened than hard evidence on its own. But as @MassGuy pointed out, finding this clue was critical to breaking the case wide open. And we find that Grusing and the team really did their job here.

Per profiling theory, they found the Rx for the suspected poison (common mistake), plus witnesses who could attest to BM's skill & experience with tranq-ing large animals.

They pinned BM in the lie about shooting from the Breezeway allowing for a dart to be found in the house. Especially BM indicated they would find darts all over the yard (absurd)

And perhaps the most incriminating fact. No tranq serum was found, and BM admitted to disposing of it on the day of disappearance.

IMO this is what matters - the sensitivity of the tranq theory to the accused - via an inductive process. Barry 'fessed because Grusing figured it out - not directly because of any cap in the dryer - critically Grusing did not at first tell Barry this!

So was a tranq gun used?

IMO we can't answer this question deductively or inductively, nor do we need do. But it is highly suspicious to me that no working tranq gun was located. This is by far the bigger issue.

One of the big problems for the defence at any trial, IMO, was their inability to explain lack of tranq-serum and recovery of obvious tranq gun - and how that could fit with the accused's own statements of recent use.

We can infer by induction, IMO, that the accused sought to stage/conceal these aspects. Especially in his elaborate lies, the accused never referenced a specific gun. Why was that?

As usual, it is the existence of the staging which matters much more than trying to figure out what the original timeline looked like.

This is incidentally, the problem with all BM's lies. He makes something up in the moment, to avoid pressure face to face, without considering how it impacts everything else.

The version that he never shot in Colorado, is the version that fits with no gun and no serum.

Opps.

Last edited:
Please see the published Defense Exhibits for details on the Rx animal tranquilizer that BM acquired in Indiana. (The lot number of Rx located in the garage was traced to an Indiana Vet).

The AA provides that BM had tranquilizer gun(s), also located in the garage -- one of which was tinkered with by a CCSO investigator and believed inoperable.

AA provides that an investigator opined his belief that a 22 could be modified to shoot tranquilizer darts.

AA provides that BM further told investigators his last use of the tranquilizer was two days prior to SM reported missing.

Did he have Guns plural?

I had remembered that only an inoperable tranq gun was discovered, leading to the theory the .22 was used?

That's what I would expect. He wouldn't have thought to book a room right after the murder. He of course needed his employees to not only go there, but stay there, in order to sell his alibi.

Which is precisely why he didn't tell Morgan to come home after he told her Suzanne had been taken by a lion.

Basically, "this was a real job. My workers are there right now."

What a clown.
IIRC, didn't Barry also manufacture a private investigator? i.e. did he not tell one of SM's friends from Indiana that he hired a PI to find her? For some reason the figure 50k for the cost of the PI comes to mind (so he claimed), but could be wrong. Curious if he was questioned about that. It appears to be cover up cosmetics.

I really dislike saying things that make Barry seem innocent (because I believe he 100% is the one and only person with motive, means, and opportunity to murder his wife), but for the hotel, I think with COVID closing everything and very few people traveling, getting a reservation ahead of time likely wasn't necessary to secure a room. It could be he didn't know where he wanted to stay until he got up there. I think having a reservation way ahead or maybe booking the hotel the day he agreed to the job or the day he solidified his dates would help his case for innocence. Do we even have a date when he agreed to this job or when it was decided when he would do this job? Wasn't the dates/timing moved a few times?

I also find it odd that he showed up without the tools and he did call MG to tell her he had to leave and he had to know by then that he in fact didn't have all the tools so why not have her bring something else up if he legit just forgot some things or didn't have it all in order? The reason he went early was to get eyes on the job and get things set for the workers for Monday, yet he didn't do that and with all that time he had surely he realized he didn't have the right things?? He could have easily had her bring other things with her, but he didn't. He allowed them to drive up and sit in the hotel for 2 days.
No bobcat. Job needed bobcat.

He drove 3 hours to sit in a hotel room for 5 hours.

Maybe Broomfield has better dumpsters.

You know, he apparently never intended for his slapped-together crew to repair the wall. No Bobcat, no materials.

Which raises the question -- did Barry hire three laborers simply to camp out in Broomfield?

Expensive proposition.

It's almost like he staged a job.

JMO

Last edited:
Suzanne beat cancer twice. And she nearly died, Barry said, from the toxicity of mixed household chemicals.

Why did Barry volunteer that story? To stress Suzanne's vulnerability? To highlight her tenacity? Something about it bothers me.

Did it happen?

Did it happen like that?

Did it happen on the heels of a different time Suzanne was hateful and unloving, threatening divorce?

What we do know about this time is that Barry handled a tranquilizer syringe, the sheath cap likely pocketed, then laundered.

Barry confirms it. By providing the weak antler explanation. He knew he had to account for some part of tranquilizer usage having been recovered. (I think it's clear from his Bsplanation that he didn't know which part they found, just that they must've collected a part -- and that they found a part somewhere near/in the house. Hence his evolving Bsplanation.)

We don't know what he may have put in the dart.

Did he admit to throwing away tranquilizer materials because of the previous tale (tranquing deer for their nubs) because now he's got a narrative where he has used his tranquilizing prowess at PP (after first insisting he had not) and now has to fabricate the corresponding chemicals and Bsplain their absence or is this part an actual truth (he had the chemicals and he did dispose of them on MD)?

What's that saying? -- a mystery wrapped in an enigma --

A lie in a lie with a truth tied into the lie --

Barry is a hunter. He could have shot and killed anyone, near or far. But Barry would be well aware what a messy business that would be.

Poisoning, however, he's done that hundreds of times, his whole life. (I don't think I'm exaggerating -- I think that's what he said, presumably about his deer darting days in Indiana -- I make no representation about his big game trophy harvesting).

While it may be hard to fathom a husband chasing his wife with a dart gun, I think we have to acknowledge that Barry had the means and motive and opportunity and ability to poison his wife.

IMO he poisoned his wife so he could saw off his ego.

And maintain control of the money.

JMO

Last edited:
Did he have Guns plural?

I had remembered that only an inoperable tranq gun was discovered, leading to the theory the .22 was used?
I thought it had been disproved that the a 22 could be used because of the barrel dimensions?

<snip>

Later on, Barry did what killers frequently do, he changed his story, and admitted to a lesser crime. He claimed that he had shot two deer with tranquilizer darts in April, and sawed off their antlers.

<snip>
This is such a bizarre claim that I am nearly at a loss. I don't think it could be true, unless the individual "sawing off the horns" of an immobilized deer was just plain strange--because this is just not the way hunting or trophy hunting works.

I don't hunt myself but I know many hunters. There are "rules" and expectation of behavior regarding the harvesting of trophies. An experienced deer hunter, after dressing the deer and taking the meat for consumption, does claim "trophies" (consisting of head and antlers) of deer he personally shot. The head and antlers are then transformed by a taxidermist into a trophy that is mounted onto the wall in the guys trophy room or den. In some cases, only the antlers and a small portion of the skull upon which the antlers are are mounted because the hunter doesn't want to pay for a full-head reconstruction by a taxidermist.

I've never heard of anyone darting a deer with a tranquiller gun and then sawing off the antlers of the unconscious deer. Would would be the point? So the hunter could boast to his friends "Yes, I darted this huge 12-pointer and sawed off this magnificent rack while he was unconscious"? Other hunters would look at him like he was a bug! Friends would stay quiet but shake their heads later in disbelief. Also, there could be no certainty he had even personally taken the rack--He could get the exact same trophy by waiting for the time antlers are shed and then picking up two similar size antlers from the ground.

Question: did LE find the two "sawed off" deer racks in BMs house? I would guess they did not.

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but I would assume that anyone with a gun safe that was as big as Barry’s had guns, plural. He had a love of hunting and I believe he would want to possess his own firearms, rather than borrowing a gun. The bullet on the bedroom floor didn’t seem to be a big shocker in the Morphew home either-although who knows how this would have played out in a trial. If there is an inventory of Barry’s weapons out there, I don’t remember seeing it. I also have no idea what the rules are for transporting guns from Indiana to Colorado.

I recall a pic of his gun safe with multiple firearms. I believe it was a LE photo. A standout to me was he treated them like junk. Some had rust and they were stored with the barrels facing both up and down and surrounded by other junk in the safe. Curious how many operational guns he had. I doubt he cleaned them frequently, especially after use. IMO

This is such a bizarre claim that I am nearly at a loss. I don't think it could be true, unless the individual "sawing off the horns" of an immobilized deer was just plain strange--because this is just not the way hunting or trophy hunting works.

I don't hunt myself but I know many hunters. There are "rules" and expectation of behavior regarding the harvesting of trophies. An experienced deer hunter, after dressing the deer and taking the meat for consumption, does claim "trophies" (consisting of head and antlers) of deer he personally shot. The head and antlers are then transformed by a taxidermist into a trophy that is mounted onto the wall in the guys trophy room or den. In some cases, only the antlers and a small portion of the skull upon which the antlers are are mounted because the hunter doesn't want to pay for a full-head reconstruction by a taxidermist.

I've never heard of anyone darting a deer with a tranquiller gun and then sawing off the antlers of the unconscious deer. Would would be the point? So the hunter could boast to his friends "Yes, I darted this huge 12-pointer and sawed off this magnificent rack while he was unconscious"? Other hunters would look at him like he was a bug! Friends would stay quiet but shake their heads later in disbelief. Also, there could be no certainty he had even personally taken the rack--He could get the exact same trophy by waiting for the time antlers are shed and then picking up two similar size antlers from the ground.

Question: did LE find the two "sawed off" deer racks in BMs house? I would guess they did not.
He also sold antlers and probably harvested those from his deer farming operations when they lived in Indiana, so not all became personal wall mounts most likely. It is possible from deer at the farm he occasionally harvested specific racks of antlers that would be worth more money upon sale...I find that believable. I also assume he brought the drugs and paraphernalia left over from prescriptions and licenses he held in Indiana. I have no idea what the expiration on tranquilizing drugs would be and he wasn't deer farming in Colorado so would not have been able to legally obtain the drugs etc.

I don't know if you were around here or remember the photographs of the heavily-loaded trailer and pickup when SM and BM were moving from Indiana to Colorado. BM had his cherished Bobcat loaded onto the trailer and the cab was STUFFED with antlers. Same with the passenger seat of the pickup (and I assume the backseat as well, although that was not visible in the photos).

BM reportedly gathers (or harvests) the antlers for sale to those who sell them for decorative use (presumably in lamps, chandeliers, garden ornament, etc).

I haven't heard of this. Can you kindly provide more details? Thank you. I did a search but came up empty.
It's in the AA, page 50 or 51: Interview with John Schmitz.

ETA: If you don't have a copy of the AA, here is a link. The document is provided at the bottom of the story. The interview is on page 51 of the AA, page 53 of the document linked:

Last edited:
Barry was also counting on LE not questioning his account, well on any front but in regard to the deer. Deer guy, maybe he does tranq deer to steal their antlers.

Half credible except deer don't generally have marketable antlers in April.

But he appears to be no stranger to blaming deer for what ails him, demanding to be believed.

Zipper issue? Just checking my deer.

I wonder if anyone is challenging his explanations directly these days.

JMO

I don't know if you were around here or remember the photographs of the heavily-loaded trailer and pickup when SM and BM were moving from Indiana to Colorado. BM had his cherished Bobcat loaded onto the trailer and the cab was STUFFED with antlers. Same with the passenger seat of the pickup (and I assume the backseat as well, although that was not visible in the photos).

BM reportedly gathers (or harvests) the antlers for sale to those who sell them for decorative use (presumably in lamps, chandeliers, garden ornament, etc).
thanks for that data. I think my problem is that I follow too many cases on WS in order to be an expert on any of them: the Delphi murders of Libby and Abby, the Lori Vallow and Clyde Daybell murders of multiple people, Brittanee Drexel's murder, the missing child Summer Wells, Chad Oulson, Katherine Janness, etc. So no, I don't remember the photo you refer to. There is a lot of data I am not up-to-speed on everything in this case. Nor am I familiar with "deer farming". It seems cruel to me.

I just can't imagine that a man would murder his wife of 26 years, the mother of his children, in such a cold and calculating way, because of her desire to divorce him. Just imagine the horror of him darting his wife with a tranquillizer gun, and then chasing her down while she flees...horrible to think of. Assuming he did it, and unless he is a sociopath, I imagine his guilt over the enormity of his crime will eventually lead to him taking his own life sometime in the future. Just my opinion.

It's in the AA, page 50 or 51: Interview with John Schmitz.

ETA: If you don't have a copy of the AA, here is a link. The document is provided at the bottom of the story. The interview is on page 51 of the AA, page 53 of the document linked:
Thank you, Diddian!

It is not one event or circumstance that proves Barry's guilt. We can go back and forth, explaining if certain aspects of the case happened the way the the prosecution says. The dart/needle theory probably happened, but should have not been included in the AA. The manner of Suzanne's death is not needed. The totality of the evidence points to BM being guilty. I'm not sure why DA got into the weeds with loads of info/theories in the AA. It needs to be concise and direct. Stick with vehicle and cell phone data, failing marriage, timing, BM interviews, Suzanne communications with family and friends .

If they do find her body and there are chemicals similar to one's BM owned, that would be a whole new ballgame. All IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson