Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I think we have to differentiate between the ones who do their job representing their clients as the legal system requires, and the ones who seagull in the media to lie about the case and promote themselves.
Bottom line for me is a defense attorney does their duty to defend a citizen whose rights are protected by the Constitution no matter what public culture thinks. Also defense lawyers are dealing with legal guilt...can the prosecution prove the charges against the client are beyond reasonable doubt? Defense lawyers may know their client is guilty because the client told them, they might think the client is guilty because of what they might know that won't be admissible. But none of that should impact how they do their job given what is going on in the trial. In my opinion both sides ratchet up what they can within legal guidelines as far as media goes. The more savvy they are the more they can make the media work for "their side." The best offense is a well defined defense in my opinion. I've said it a few times but I do believe juries most often than not get it right. I enjoy watching how each side crafts their argument and strategy and generally only follow cases that end up at trial. A masterful prosecution is as equally compelling to me as a masterful defense as I am fascinated watching each side's strategy unfold before and during trial.

Let's not pretend lying in the media about the case has anything to do with defending her client

That's about the advancement of her own brand.

Sadly it seems to be the done thing these days, to try and milk the media attention for what it is worth. Most cases have little interest.

Let's not pretend lying in the media about the case has anything to do with defending her client

That's about the advancement of her own brand.

Sadly it seems to be the done thing these days, to try and milk the media attention for what it is worth. Most cases have little interest.
I'd say both sides have done abit of "horn tooting" in this case as well as pressing their vision. I was alittle surprised when the DA used social media as that is not as common a tactic but perhaps we will see it more and more -- but all in all they played their roles out.

I am not sure if @sk716 's bobcat data spreadsheet is still available to check any of this but IIRC the defence left out the final bobcat movements from it's selective exhibit.

But i am guessing the bobcat was found exactly where expected, and corroborated by the truck GPS.

I think he just needed it off the truck.

This is the only place I've found the Bobcat data. The site @sk716 had isn't pulling up for me.

At the time of the AA, they said they didn't suspect the Bobcat was involved.

I am curious if they were still trying to connect it. If there is data they could retrieve that he tried to mess with just like the truck. They also didn't have the RR data back and that was a year after her disappearance. With the dog hits there I just feel like something was going on. Maybe he thought about using it and had her in the bobcat or on the trailer, then thought better of it. The scent of decomp got in those 2 places somehow weather he had it on him and sat in the Bobcat or sat down on the trailer. Something got that scent there enough for 3 different dogs to hit on both items.

Why did Barry contact backhoe guy on 5/9?

It wasn't to buy an attachment.

Was it to:

Ascertain the whereabouts of it to use?
Ascretain the whereabouts to access another Bobcat/sim card?
Ascertain the whereabouts of the owner?

How might it have benefited Barry to learn the owner was away?

IMO Barry made that call for a key reason.

JMO

Last edited:

Was it to:

Ascertain the wherebouts of the owner?

JMO
I’d like to know that too.

(someone has a shiny new avatar… lovely)

This is the only place I've found the Bobcat data. The site @sk716 had isn't pulling up for me.

At the time of the AA, they said they didn't suspect the Bobcat was involved.

I am curious if they were still trying to connect it. If there is data they could retrieve that he tried to mess with just like the truck. They also didn't have the RR data back and that was a year after her disappearance. With the dog hits there I just feel like something was going on. Maybe he thought about using it and had her in the bobcat or on the trailer, then thought better of it. The scent of decomp got in those 2 places somehow weather he had it on him and sat in the Bobcat or sat down on the trailer. Something got that scent there enough for 3 different dogs to hit on both items.
It's possible they have more information now than they did 2 years ago but I'm alittle doubtful that there is anything new since the trial was stopped. And anything up to that point defense would have and know. If they had something credible why didn't prosecution use it?

Was it to:

Ascertain the wherebouts of the owner?

JMO
Yes! The AA said it was fall of Sept/ Oct of 2019 when Barry was first asking about it. Then out of nowhere he inquired again that day. What was so urgent that day, the day before he is going out of town for this big job, the day he told MG he had to go home and make his wife happy, the day he told Investigators he spent having the perfect day/night with Suzanne.. how did he forget all about this? Something had to have came up that day to make him reach out after 6+ months to ask about it again.

Yes! The AA said it was fall of Sept/ Oct of 2019 when Barry was first asking about it. Then out of nowhere he inquired again that day. What was so urgent that day, the day before he is going out of town for this big job, the day he told MG he had to go home and make his wife happy, the day he told Investigators he spent having the perfect day/night with Suzanne.. how did he forget all about this? Something had to have came up that day to make him reach out after 6+ months to ask about it again.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The equipment alone seems suspect. Backhoe. Possible alternate Bobcat. Possible alternate SIM card.

But things are not always as they seem with this guy.

It's the: What Are We Missing I'm after.

The guy (not Barry) owned a backhoe. What else did he own? (I'm not sleuthing, not asking anyone to sleuth. I mean only in relation to Barry! How did Barry USE him?) Did this guy work a trade anywhere near a location Barry intended to go later? How did the information he provided (backhoe was there but he was not!) serve Barry? And specifically that day!

IMO it's related somehow. Alternate equipment, unmanned jobsite, something.

JMO

Last edited:
Or it is just coincidental. I don't think it's that unusual to start down the path of purchasing something only to set it aside and revisit it later. Or perhaps he got wind the guy had never gotten in sold and thought maybe he could knock the price way down. This is one of those things that I personally don't think has any connection to anything related to Suzanne disappearing...time will tell I suppose.

It's possible they have more information now than they did 2 years ago but I'm alittle doubtful that there is anything new since the trial was stopped. And anything up to that point defense would have and know. If they had something credible why didn't prosecution use it?
My thinking is if he used her newer RR that had the digital data, then they both have the evidence, but if the prosecution can't say 100% Barry is the one that drove it or did something with it, then maybe they are looking for something else. For the same reason the defense isn't mentioning it because they know it could prove Barry did do something with it. If he used the older RR without digital data then we won't know that. I think at a minimum her vehicle data proves if he was telling the truth about taking her bike out of the car that day and when. If the doors or trunk was opened at any point after 2:43pm that day then he did take the bike out as he said he did. If that trunk opened between say 3 and 4AM on Sunday, immediately before the other data shows him moving toward where the bike was dumped, that could be very damning. But again if the prosecution didn't think it was enough to seal the deal, then maybe they didn't introduce yet for that reason. The defense certainly isn't going to try to admit it into evidence.

Or it is just coincidental. I don't think it's that unusual to start down the path of purchasing something only to set it aside and revisit it later. Or perhaps he got wind the guy had never gotten in sold and thought maybe he could knock the price way down. This is one of those things that I personally don't think has any connection to anything related to Suzanne disappearing...time will tell I suppose.
If we view it as if Barry did do this, then we have to think everything he did/said that day may have some relevance. He also lied about what he was doing just before this. He only admitted he was looking for a dead turkey after his phone locations showed he was wandering around. He first said he was laying in the sun eating soup with Suzanne. Why did he tell MG he was going home to spend time with Suzanne then he didn't and instead decides to jump on the backhoe thing out of nowhere? Then when he arrives home from that excursion her digital footprint ends forever.

If we view it as he is innocent, then what doesn't make sense is he lied about doing this that day. Even pathological liars have the ability to tell the truth. If he was worried about his missing wife and genuinely was panicked that she was abucted or wrecked, why lie about nearly everything he did that day?

Just an FYI - court site still shows a virtual arraignment hearing tomorrow, 6/30 at 9am MT.
For some reason this reninds me of Barry's odd device usage. That pairing with a device few times compared to bountiful times of another. Can't help but wonder if he ever paired with it after 5/10.

Guessing he didn't need to anymore.

JMO

If we view it as if Barry did do this, then we have to think everything he did/said that day may have some relevance. He also lied about what he was doing just before this. He only admitted he was looking for a dead turkey after his phone locations showed he was wandering around. He first said he was laying in the sun eating soup with Suzanne. Why did he tell MG he was going home to spend time with Suzanne then he didn't and instead decides to jump on the backhoe thing out of nowhere? Then when he arrives home from that excursion her digital footprint ends forever.

If we view it as he is innocent, then what doesn't make sense is he lied about doing this that day. Even pathological liars have the ability to tell the truth. If he was worried about his missing wife and genuinely was panicked that she was abucted or wrecked, why lie about nearly everything he did that day?
For me there is a middle ground...not everything is connected and related...some is and some isn't. For me it's not an all or nothing proposition creating what people call a "slam dunk" case. I think that is why in the middle of the preliminary some people were hoping for a "smoking gun" but cases like these are pretty rare overall I think.

For me there is a middle ground...not everything is connected and related...some is and some isn't. For me it's not an all or nothing proposition creating what people call a "slam dunk" case. I think that is why in the middle of the preliminary some people were hoping for a "smoking gun" but cases like these are pretty rare overall I think.
I understand this view point. I think there are probably things that aren't connected and just happened to occur that day or in the days before and after. If even half of the lies he told and the coincidences that happened that week alone are connected, then it's still overwhelming evidence pointing to Barry.

Barry had 20+ interviews with LE to be truthful. Even if he lied in the beginning just because he's a liar, he had so many chances to say the truth. He didn't admit to anything until LE showed him some evidence that went against his original story and then he just remembered what he really did and had some excuse for it all. I'm not sure what it would take to prove to me that he just lied and he likes to lie and make up stories and he really didn't harm Suzanne. The defense strategy so far of trying to make it seem like it was someone else, isn't going to cut it. They need to explain his lies. This isn't LE railroading him, this is digital evidence showing him doing X, but having recorded interviews of him saying he was doing Y, but then wait once confronted with that, he then claims he was doing Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member