Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that is the article I got my info.

But the thing is - it is not on the court site - as it should be. I looked under Chaffee & Fremont. Usually the site is pretty good at updating their sites.

Well - I shall just keep him there.

Thanks all for the info - I do have in my notes that he is under supervised probation. Plus I have this also:

Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances.

Wish he would "run afoul" before June! :)
I hope he runs afoul before June!:D

Kudos to that team for their resilience - especially MH.

Though, as LS was only elected in November 2020 and the arrest was made in February 2021, IMO most of the work on the case was already done by the time she took the helm.
The idea was LS would bring the case because of her previous success as a deputy DA with a cold case.
KT the interim DA had reservations. MOO the sheriff wanted the case brought.

The idea was LS would bring the case because of her previous success as a deputy DA with a cold case.
KT the interim DA had reservations. MOO the sheriff wanted the case brought.
I've followed that case for years. The guy who was convicted wasn't even really a suspect until 2021 when they got the genetic genealogy hit. I have no idea how anyone can blame the interim DA for not prosecuting him. The Sheriff in question endorsed the interim DA across party lines when she ran against LS and said lots of nice things about her. So he clearly didn't have any problem with her.

Credit to LS and her team for prosecuting the case of course.

The case is featured on 48 hours tonight!

I saw it too. Like the police in Breckinridge, CO said, "the main question is are there more that Alan Lee Phillips killed?" "Yes, more than likely". Also my question. Are there any other women who disappeared in that area in the 1980s - 1990s....or beyond? 40 years he spent free of being discovered. Why would there be no others? No reason. Any disappearances where there is DNA also? It seems like a whole bunch of cold cases could, potentially, be solved if there was any DNA found.

I’m sorry if I offered anyone else’s point of view but I said from the minute that I saw the DA (Prosecutor ) LS that I didn’t have faith in her ability to get this Home. I know some will say that it’s not on her or not all on her but I just felt that way and I said so at the time. I may be wrong and I am willing to admit that but at the moment I’m not convinced otherwise

JMHO

I’m sorry if I offered anyone else’s point of view but I said from the minute that I saw the DA (Prosecutor ) LS that I didn’t have faith in her ability to get this Home. I know some will say that it’s not on her or not all on her but I just felt that way and I said so at the time. I may be wrong and I am willing to admit that but at the moment I’m not convinced otherwise

JMHO
No worries @Angleterre! There’s plenty of crow to go around! :p Might be you eating it, might be me, lol.

So very true:

'Pay attention to the emotions your significant other invokes in you and know that your feelings are never wrong; they are superior sources of truth. Remember: people lie, but your intuition doesn’t.

Yes that is the article I got my info.

But the thing is - it is not on the court site - as it should be. I looked under Chaffee & Fremont. Usually the site is pretty good at updating their sites.

Well - I shall just keep him there.

Thanks all for the info - I do have in my notes that he is under supervised probation. Plus I have this also:

Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances.

Wish he would "run afoul" before June!
:)

RBBM

I hope, I hope, I hope!

JMVHO.

Do not know IF this is really happening today - but I shall post it anyway, just in case. At least I can shorten it up a bit now. :)

Monday, Nov. 28th:
*Review Hearing (Chaffee County) (@ am MT) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 55) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. (BM is charged with murder & DV enhanced because Colorado does not provide for DV as an independent charge). The possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) charge has been severed from other charges. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21. Fremont County
Trial was set to begin on 4/28/22Case was dismissed without prejudice on 4/19/22.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond. *Charged (5/5/21) with a felony of influencing public servants. This last charge was dismissed with the murder charges. Chaffee County
Plead guilty (7/21/22) to a plea agreement. Morphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. Plus 32 hours of community service. Two other charges – attempt to influence a public servant & election mail ballot offense – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence. Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances. Case was reopened on 8/16/22.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 7/21/22 reference post #83 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...ase-dismissed-w-o-prejudice-105.637430/page-5

9/7/22 Update: Hearing in Fremont County on 10/25/22. According to court documents, a motion to return property was filed 5/26/22. Barry had his criminal charges tied to the disappearance of Suzanne dismissed on 4/18/22. According to the motion, the prosecution has been in possession of Barry’s property for more than two years & “there is no link between the property to the location or circumstances of Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance.” Filed on 5/26/22: Verified Motion for return of property & request for evidentiary hearing (D-104). See link for items requested. Judge Groome presiding in hearing (Dept. 3).
link: https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...orphew-pleadings-d-104-return-of-property.pdf
10/25/22 Update: Fremont County: Recap of the Motions hearing, after BM's defense attorney IE spoke for about 20 minutes, Prosecutor Hurlbert addressed the court for about 6 minutes where he did say that the State does not need SM's body to prosecute her murder case. Hurlbert also cited the following 40-year case below that was solved by advancements with DNA that Hulbert told the court can also happen here, and why the state should not release BM's property held in evidence. At the conclusion of the prosecution's argument, Judge Groome immediately denied the defense's motion. Judge won't be presiding over the case in the future, he is retiring. For Chafee County: Forgery case: Morphew has a review hearing set for 11/28/22. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

Do not know IF this is really happening today - but I shall post it anyway, just in case. At least I can shorten it up a bit now. :)

Monday, Nov. 28th:
*Review Hearing (Chaffee County) (@ am MT) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 55) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. (BM is charged with murder & DV enhanced because Colorado does not provide for DV as an independent charge). The possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) charge has been severed from other charges. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21. Fremont County
Trial was set to begin on 4/28/22Case was dismissed without prejudice on 4/19/22.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond. *Charged (5/5/21) with a felony of influencing public servants. This last charge was dismissed with the murder charges. Chaffee County
Plead guilty (7/21/22) to a plea agreement. Morphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. Plus 32 hours of community service. Two other charges – attempt to influence a public servant & election mail ballot offense – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence. Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances. Case was reopened on 8/16/22.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 7/21/22 reference post #83 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...ase-dismissed-w-o-prejudice-105.637430/page-5

9/7/22 Update: Hearing in Fremont County on 10/25/22. According to court documents, a motion to return property was filed 5/26/22. Barry had his criminal charges tied to the disappearance of Suzanne dismissed on 4/18/22. According to the motion, the prosecution has been in possession of Barry’s property for more than two years & “there is no link between the property to the location or circumstances of Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance.” Filed on 5/26/22: Verified Motion for return of property & request for evidentiary hearing (D-104). See link for items requested. Judge Groome presiding in hearing (Dept. 3).
link: https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...orphew-pleadings-d-104-return-of-property.pdf
10/25/22 Update: Fremont County: Recap of the Motions hearing, after BM's defense attorney IE spoke for about 20 minutes, Prosecutor Hurlbert addressed the court for about 6 minutes where he did say that the State does not need SM's body to prosecute her murder case. Hurlbert also cited the following 40-year case below that was solved by advancements with DNA that Hulbert told the court can also happen here, and why the state should not release BM's property held in evidence. At the conclusion of the prosecution's argument, Judge Groome immediately denied the defense's motion. Judge won't be presiding over the case in the future, he is retiring. For Chafee County: Forgery case: Morphew has a review hearing set for 11/28/22. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.
A big shout of appreciation coming your way @Niner. I’m not following a lot of cases, but those I am, you’re there to keep us informed about what’s happening and when! Thank you, thank you and thank you for all you do here!!! ❤️

Monday, Nov. 28th:

Thank you Niner, as always.

I somehow missed the whole voter fraud fiasco. What a move lmao, really shows a persons character.
Oh yes, it was quite a fiasco. I can’t miss this opportunity to SMH once again at BM’s reasoning for the ballot forgery. (BBM, below).

Election officials contacted the sheriff’s office, which took a photograph of the ballot and seized it as evidence. A space for the voter’s signature was blank, but Mr. Morphew wrote his name on a line for legal witnesses to sign ballots. The ballot was dated Oct. 15, 2020.

When F.B.I. agents asked Mr. Morphew why he had returned his missing wife’s ballot, he told them, as detailed in the warrant, “Just because I wanted Trump to win.”

Mr. Morphew told investigators that he didn’t know he was not authorized to cast a ballot for his wife.

“I just thought, give him another vote,” he said, referring to Mr. Trump. “I figured all these other guys are cheating. I know she was going to vote for Trump anyway.”

So... was there a review hearing yesterday? I am not coming up with any articles over here - as usual.

TIA if anyone can tell me!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

So... was there a review hearing yesterday? I am not coming up with any articles over here - as usual.

TIA if anyone can tell me!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley
FWIW, I have searched for news articles about it, and so far I haven’t been able to find anything at all.
I personally wasn’t able to find it on the Colorado courts’ site either, though, so it could very well be just that my sleuthing skills aren’t too savvy. I tried Chaffee and Fremont counties.

FWIW, I have searched for news articles about it, and so far I haven’t been able to find anything at all.
I personally wasn’t able to find it on the Colorado courts’ site either, though, so it could very well be just that my sleuthing skills aren’t too savvy. I tried Chaffee and Fremont counties.

No - your sleuthing skills are not bad - it never was on the court site - I found that date in an article - way back when.
edited - I take that back - I believe it showed up once in the court site - but then disappeared...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member