Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously @Momofthreeboys -- nobody here believes Eytan a civil rights litigator! I recall when she was admitted to the U.S. District Court for the District of CA but I can't say for certain she's admitted in the District of Colorado.

To be crystal clear, it's IE's erroneous allegations that are cited in the 13 Civil Claims against the defendants. Since you couldn't keep current with the criminal case, you really owe it to yourself to read the civil complaint together with Title 42 U.S.C. Section 1983 (and Bivens 16) since 8/13 claims are charged under this Title.

And please explain how a civil case is even easier and exactly which decisions are weighted for both sides. What does this even mean in the context of a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution?
You’re making some broad assumptions. I am no encyclopedia of the original case but I have always been aware there were issues in the litigation by the prosecution and have been around since the beginning. An uncomfortable position that I managed to get through either by making an opinion or simply scrolling and rolling. I never said civil cases were easier. Go back and review my opinions. I do think IE will take a backseat. She is not the lead I said and the civil attorneys would be lead. Civil cases are in some ways weighted by the jury. They are not required to be unanimous in their decisions and they set the monetary amounts of awards. Judges can alter amounts up or down if too much or too little is awarded based on the facts but the weight of juries in civil I think are greater than in criminal cases when guilty or not guilty and a unanimous decision is required.

You’re making some broad assumptions. I am no encyclopedia of the original case but I have always been aware there were issues in the litigation by the prosecution and have been around since the beginning. An uncomfortable position that I managed to get through either by making an opinion or simply scrolling and rolling. I never said civil cases were easier. Go back and review my opinions. I do think IE will take a backseat. She is not the lead I said and the civil attorneys would be lead. Civil cases are in some ways weighted by the jury. They are not required to be unanimous in their decisions and they set the monetary amounts of awards. Judges can alter amounts up or down if too much or too little is awarded based on the facts but the weight of juries in civil I think are greater than in criminal cases when guilty or not guilty and a unanimous decision is required.
Quoting OP:
Your words, not mine.
I'm comfortable with juries. I think they get things right more often than wrong and a civil case is even easier since decisions are weighted for both sides.

And my questions remain. Makes no sense to me.

In BM's Civil action, he alleges twelve thirteen separate claims of civil rights violations by the following defendants:

Chaffee County, Colorado,
Board of County Commissioners of Chaffee County, Colorado,
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department,
District Attorney Linda Stanley, in her individual and official capacity,
Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze, in his individual and official capacity,
Chaffee County Undersheriff Andrew Rohrich,
Eleventh Judicial District Attorney’s Office Investigator Alex Walker,
Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Lindsey,
Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert,
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Detective Robin Burgess,
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Deputy Randy Carricato,
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Deputy Scott Himschoot,
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Sergeant Claudette Hysjulien.
Chaffee County Sheriff’s Sergeant William Plackner,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Director John Camper,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Joseph Cahill,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Megan Duge,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Caitlin Rogers,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Derek Graham,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Kevin Koback,
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Kirby Lewis,
Colorado Bureau of Investigations Deputy Director of Investigations Chris
Schaefer,
Federal Bureau of Investigation Agent Jonathan Grusing,
Federal Bureau of Investigation Agent Kenneth Harris,
John/Jane Does 1-10,
and other unknown employees of the Eleventh Judicial District Attorney,
and other unknown officers of the Chaffee County Sheriff's Department.

Let's review each claim separately-- beginning with Claim-1.
(Pg 143/185 - Case 1:23-cv-01108 Document 1 Filed 05/02/23 USDC Colorado).

CLAIM ONE: 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and Bivens16
Malicious Prosecution and unlawful detention
Defendant Officers, Defendant Prosecutors, Defendant FBI Agents, and
Defendants Cahill, Duge, Rogers, Graham, Koback, and Lewis

First, the main difference between a Bivens lawsuit and a claim under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 is that a Bivens claim covers the federal government and its agents. Section 1983 claims, by contrast, cover local or state officials or agencies.

The common-law tort of malicious prosecution originally developed to provide a remedy for plaintiffs who were unjustly prosecuted in a criminal proceeding.

Today, malicious prosecution actions can be brought to redress wrongful civil actions as well. The “central thrust” of an action for malicious prosecution is a right not to be involved in an unjustified litigation.

This Note suggests that the confusion in this area of law derives from the use of the language of malicious prosecution tort law to describe what really amounts to a Fourth Amendment seizure claim under § 1983.

There is no constitutional right to be free from malicious prosecution. The better lens through which to analyze these claims, as the Court acknowledged in both Albright and Manuel,** is the Fourth Amendment.

By trying to force the malicious prosecution tort into the Constitution, the courts have remained faithful to neither tort principles nor constitutional principles.

While Justice Alito correctly noted in his Manuel dissent that there is a “severe mismatch” between the Fourth Amendment and the elements of malicious prosecution, the real failing of Manuel was not, as Justice Alito suggested, that it refused to answer the “malicious prosecution” question.

Rather, the problem with Manuel was the Court’s failure to specify the elements of the type of § 1983 claim it recognized in Manuel—namely, unlawful detention after the start of legal process in violation of the Fourth Amendment. (**Also see later, Thompson v Clark (4 April 2022)).

PROVE IT:

To prove malicious prosecution, the plaintiff must prove 3 things:

1) The defendant acted without probable cause and with malice toward the plaintiff.

2) But for the defendant's actions, the prosecution would not have proceeded.

3) The plaintiff did not engage in the alleged misconduct.*
(i.e., * The prosecution must not have ended in conviction).

IMO, BM cannot prove the defendants acted without probable cause-- rendering proof of 2 and 3 moot, and no basis for a jury to decide CLAIM ONE in his suit.

Example: Winfrey v. Rogers , 901 F.3d 483 (5th Cir. 2018)

Richard Winfrey (“Junior”) was arrested and charged with murder after a botched investigation and various alleged violations of Junior’s Fourth Amendment rights.

The State tried him on murder charges. The jury acquitted in 29 minutes. By that time, he had served 16 months in prison.

JUNIOR FILES A SECTION 1983 CLAIM:

Ever since the United States Supreme Court’s 1978 decision in Franks v. Delaware, “it has been clearly established that a defendant’s Fourth Amendment rights are violated if (1) the affiant, in support of the warrant, includes a false statement knowingly and intentionally, or with reckless disregard for the truth and (2) the allegedly false statement is necessary to the finding of probable cause.”

Yet, negligence alone will not defeat qualified immunity. A proven misstatement can vitiate an affidavit only if it is established that the misstatement was the product of deliberate falsehood or of reckless disregard for the truth. Recklessness requires proof that the defendant in fact entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the statement.

At the outset, the Court had to decide which constitutional provision was at issue.

The Court noted that although there is no “freestanding constitutional right to be free from malicious prosecution,” the initiation of criminal charges without probable cause may set in force events that run afoul of explicit constitutional protection – – the Fourth Amendment if the accused is seized and arrested, for example.

Because Junior alleged that Johnson signed an objectively unreasonable arrest warrant affidavit, the Court analyzed the case as a Fourth Amendment malicious prosecution claim.

Junior’s claim meets the first element of Franks

The Court concluded that Junior alleged a clearly established constitutional violation. Under the first prong of Franks, Junior must present evidence that Johnson, through material omissions or otherwise, made “a false statement knowingly and intentionally, or with reckless disregard for the truth.”

Junior provided much evidence that Johnson made false statements in his affidavit. Those are outlined in the Court’s opinion. The Court concluded that the question of whether Johnson gave false information knowingly or in reckless disregard of the truth was for a jury to decide.

Junior was not out of the woods yet.

Junior still had to meet the second prong of Franks – whether the allegedly false statement was necessary to the finding of probable cause by the judge who issued the arrest and search warrants.

Put another way, if the evidence presented to the judge would have established probable cause in the absence of Johnson’s false affidavit, Junior has a problem.

The Fifth Circuit explained: “To determine whether the false statement was necessary for this finding, Franks requires us to consider the faulty affidavit as if those errors and omissions were removed. We then must examine the ‘corrected affidavit’ and determine whether probable cause for the issuance of the warrant survives the deleted false statements and material omissions.

After examining the “totality of the circumstances,” the Court held that the “corrected affidavit” did not contain sufficient information to satisfy the probable cause requirement.

Put another way, had the state court judge been given a truthful affidavit, he would not have issued a warrant for Junior’s arrest.

IMO, BM cannot meet the first or second prong of Franks, and there is nothing false/questionable in BM's affidavit that if omitted, would cancel probable for BM's arrest or probable cause that bound the defendant's case over for trial as determined by Chafee County District Court Judge Murphy.

Latest Opinion: **THOMPSON v CLARK, Fourth Amendment Opinion of the Court -- April 2022.
Nice work, thanks for doing it.

^Thanks for that @Seattle1
So I guess he can try to sue the FBI agents.

What ever happened to his charge for attempting to influence public servants? Will the evidence supporting this allegation be allowed to be introduced by the defendants if BM is able to get his lawsuit to trial?
^^rsbm

In the Civil Complaint, BM makes more than 65 allegations directly against former FBI Agent Grusing.

In the complaint, BM goes as far as to allege that Grusing's falsehoods, material omissions, inaccuracies, and misleading statements (in the AA), and the lies he told during his interviews to mislead BM, were so egregious that Congress is yet to pass a law that would provide an adequate remedy for the constitutional violations Grusing committed!

And where the cash grab comes in -- show me the money. :mad:

IMO, BM picked the wrong guy to attack! (See para 51).

Since Grusing and the others are the defendants here, they have every right to defend themselves against the specious statements by BM where I believe Grusing (and others) can use every bit of evidence they gathered to disprove each and every false allegation BM is making against Grusing.

Pursuant to Title 42 U.S.C. Section 1983 (and Bivens 16), and the claims BM is making against the defendants, they hope to prove that BM's 4th Amendment rights were violated (malicious prosecution).

To do this, they need to strip the AA from sufficient factual information by the prosecution where it reads like a greeting card and vitiates probable cause previously found by Judge Murphy when he signed the arrest and search warrants.

Put another way, BM is saying had the state district court judge been given a truthful affidavit, Murphy would not have issued/signed a warrant for BM's arrest.

I believe if at summary judgment the Court finds BM lacks material facts to support he was arrested without probable cause, the claim for malicious prosecution is thrown out. However, it's possible the Court will rule it's a decision for a jury to decide what should be omitted from the AA and whether or not there was probable cause after the false info was removed.

And I'm not comfortable with that option! (Jury deciding probable cause). MOO

1685151383079.png

Last edited:
@mrjitty -- IE was the defense lawyer for this case murder case.

Pursuing malicious prosecution in US District Court For the District of CO, the federal judge recently ruled against the defendants (Police Officers) on probable cause after they argued the state court judge ruled prosecution met the burden for probable cause at the conclusion of the preliminary hearing and bound the case over for trial. Defendant (Kimball) was acquitted of murder at trial.

The federal court judge seems to suggest there's state court probable cause and there's federal court probable cause and they are not identical. Huh? o_O

Please also see the Federal Ruling linked below. You're needed to steady the ship, mate!

26 Feb 2023

[..]

They also noted there is no constitutional right to a "flawless" police investigation.

Officers "are not required to arrive at — and assess — each theory of innocence eventually advanced by defense counsel at trial, and particularly not as a prerequisite to any arrest," wrote the Denver City Attorney's Office.

Sweeney disagreed with the city that [Judge] Grant's order resolved the probable cause question. In Denver District Court, the question was whether the government had probable cause Kimball committed a crime.

"Defendants have failed to meet their burden of showing that the state court judge’s determination regarding the state’s probable cause is identical to the issue this case presents: whether the Officer Defendants had probable cause to arrest Mr. Kimball," she wrote.

Sweeney found Kimball had adequately alleged the defendants learned details that would exonerate him, but continued in their prosecution.

Last edited:
Maybe I have a simple view of things, maybe too simple, but Barry lied to police over and over again. He lied before he even had a reason to lie (like when talking to his neighbor and telling them he was on the job site with workers).. he then told the police that same thing. It was flat out untrue, he had been in his hotel room for HOURS prior to those calls. There was no confusion or distress on his part because IF he was truly innocent of all involvement in his wife going "missing", then why lead him to lie about that? What made him decide he needed to make up something in that moment? He is suing the police for lying and blah blah blah, but he himself is the first and biggest liar of all. The police were not malicious in their lying. They wanted the truth from a man that was lying from the first statement he made to anyone about this (his neighbor). If he wanted to find his wife so bad and if he was so worried about his own reputation, maybe he should have been truthful. His integrity or lack of is the reason he is in this situation and to blame the police that just wanted to find the truth of what happened to Suzanne is laughable.

Maybe I have a simple view of things, maybe too simple, but Barry lied to police over and over again. He lied before he even had a reason to lie (like when talking to his neighbor and telling them he was on the job site with workers).. he then told the police that same thing. It was flat out untrue, he had been in his hotel room for HOURS prior to those calls. There was no confusion or distress on his part because IF he was truly innocent of all involvement in his wife going "missing", then why lead him to lie about that? What made him decide he needed to make up something in that moment? He is suing the police for lying and blah blah blah, but he himself is the first and biggest liar of all. The police were not malicious in their lying. They wanted the truth from a man that was lying from the first statement he made to anyone about this (his neighbor). If he wanted to find his wife so bad and if he was so worried about his own reputation, maybe he should have been truthful. His integrity or lack of is the reason he is in this situation and to blame the police that just wanted to find the truth of what happened to Suzanne is laughable.
True…but they never added obstruction of Justice to the list of things they charged him with which I think is the only charge that could be levied for someone who lied to LE. Now what happens when LE lies and the person they are talking to lies is somewhat interesting. I suppose it would be sorted out through motions as to what would be admissible or not admissible.

Last edited:
[…]

In a statement, Barry and his two daughters, Mallory and Macy Morphew, said, “We have heavy hearts today. We have missed our mom and wife, Suzanne Morphew, every single day for the last three years. We keep hoping that DA Stanley and Law Enforcement will use every resource to find her.”

[…]

Where were they all these 3 years?? Now all of the sudden there is a public statement from Barry and daughters pleading the DA uses every resource to find Suzanne?? Really?? This infuriates me to no end!

MOO

IMO - Simply put, what a joke that was.
Terrible attempt to change the narrative. Barry tries to throw Suzanne under the bus bc she was "on" Chemo and drugs...and make himself the victim. Then he gets all fake teared up about the affair - not teared up bc she is dead - but that she could cheat on him. Such a twisted twisted man with an outsized ego and a very delicate self image.
Bad strategy to claim the marriage was on solid ground - too much info pointing in an another direction IMO
When BM says its really hard to lose your integrity and reputation. Well, I would say imo he never had any integrity - a guy that sells his business two times before he leaves Indiana for instance, is not an honest man with a sound moral compass. He is a phony posing as a dutiful "Christian" godly man.
All in good time Barry this will boomerang IMO. Bringing this back into the spotlight I really feel was not a sound strategic decision. Has Iris' Head been turned by BM - has she fallen victim to his ways. Surely she can see the farce?
I give the whole performance an F. I don't believe it achieved their desired outcome and it was very transparent.
ALL JMO
Keep talking Barry. Here's some more rope.
He's as guilty as the day is long....He's managed to convince his daughters, but he is not fooling anyone else.

MOO

Where were they all these 3 years?? Now all of the sudden there is a public statement from Barry and daughters pleading the DA uses every resource to find Suzanne?? Really?? This infuriates me to no end!

MOO
Suzanne is out there, alone.
I think she's alone spiritually too.
Handholding and group hugs won't find her.
Nor are they intended to.
A desecration.

^^rsbm

In the Civil Complaint, BM makes more than 65 allegations directly against former FBI Agent Grusing.

In the complaint, BM goes as far as to allege that Grusing's falsehoods, material omissions, inaccuracies, and misleading statements (in the AA), and the lies he told during his interviews to mislead BM, were so egregious that Congress is yet to pass a law that would provide an adequate remedy for the constitutional violations Grusing committed!

And where the cash grab comes in -- show me the money. :mad:

IMO, BM picked the wrong guy to attack! (See para 51).

Since Grusing and the others are the defendants here, they have every right to defend themselves against the specious statements by BM where I believe Grusing (and others) can use every bit of evidence they gathered to disprove each and every false allegation BM is making against Grusing.

Pursuant to Title 42 U.S.C. Section 1983 (and Bivens 16), and the claims BM is making against the defendants, they hope to prove that BM's 4th Amendment rights were violated (malicious prosecution).

To do this, they need to strip the AA from sufficient factual information by the prosecution where it reads like a greeting card and vitiates probable cause previously found by Judge Murphy when he signed the arrest and search warrants.

Put another way, BM is saying had the state district court judge been given a truthful affidavit, Murphy would not have issued/signed a warrant for BM's arrest.

I believe if at summary judgment the Court finds BM lacks material facts to support he was arrested without probable cause, the claim for malicious prosecution is thrown out. However, it's possible the Court will rule it's a decision for a jury to decide what should be omitted from the AA and whether or not there was probable cause after the false info was removed.

And I'm not comfortable with that option! (Jury deciding probable cause). MOO

View attachment 424909

Great post

This is why I wonder if the FBI will put decent resource into this?

It threatens the whole basis of investigations and interrogations.

Pursuing malicious prosecution in US District Court For the District of CO, the federal judge recently ruled against the defendants (Police Officers) on probable cause after they argued the state court judge ruled prosecution met the burden for probable cause at the conclusion of the preliminary hearing and bound the case over for trial. Defendant (Kimball) was acquitted of murder at trial.

The federal court judge seems to suggest there's state court probable cause and there's federal court probable cause and they are not identical. Huh? o_O

Please also see the Federal Ruling linked below. You're needed to steady the ship, mate!

26 Feb 2023

[..]

They also noted there is no constitutional right to a "flawless" police investigation.

Officers "are not required to arrive at — and assess — each theory of innocence eventually advanced by defense counsel at trial, and particularly not as a prerequisite to any arrest," wrote the Denver City Attorney's Office.

Sweeney disagreed with the city that [Judge] Grant's order resolved the probable cause question. In Denver District Court, the question was whether the government had probable cause Kimball committed a crime.

"Defendants have failed to meet their burden of showing that the state court judge’s determination regarding the state’s probable cause is identical to the issue this case presents: whether the Officer Defendants had probable cause to arrest Mr. Kimball," she wrote.

Sweeney found Kimball had adequately alleged the defendants learned details that would exonerate him, but continued in their prosecution.

I am catching up! will read this in the am :oops:

True…but they never added obstruction of Justice to the list of things they charged him with which I think is the only charge that could be levied for someone who lied to LE. Now what happens when LE lies and the person they are talking to lies is somewhat interesting. I suppose it would be sorted out through motions as to what would be admissible or not admissible.

It's not really interesting.

it is long settled in the US that investigators can lie, mislead or bluff the accused into damaging admissions or lies that will harm his defence at trial.

A common technique is to commit the accused to a lie that he tells to explain certain evidence, then confront him with the evidence which proves he is lying later on.

This is what happened to dear Barry. e.g. Grusing held evidence indicative of the left turn (missing mileage, location data) but was not 100% certain. So he simply asked Barry which direction Barry went at the junction and Barry foolishly said he turned left. This is entirely fine under US law.

26 Feb 2023

[..]

I remember this case now - it is a hot mess!

I guess this ruling needs to be cleared up at appellate level. On the one hand, it seems odd that you can question in civil court whether probable cause existed for the purposes of one proceedings, when the criminal court, being aware of the relevant facts, found that it did in fact exist.

Indeed the case went to a jury, which clearly it couldn't, if there wasn't at least a case to answer - the Judge wouldn't have let the issue go to the jury at the end of the evidential phase otherwise.

On the brady/discovery violation type stuff - the usual remedy is evidential orders/sanctions in the trial - to ensure the trial remains fair. Should the defendant be able to get civil damages for that stuff? I guess if they can show actual harm/loss?

In the Morphew case, the claim seems to be (mostly) that the loss was the time in prison, because exculpatory evidence wasn't disclosed in the PCA. i find that claim pretty hard to take seriously.

In Kimball (on a cursory reading of the news reports) it seems like it should have been disclosed in the PCA that there was actual exculpatory evidence?

IMO an important point is that all of the matters raised in the civil claim were raised in the prelim, and yet the court found a case to answer - i.e, beyond the probable cause for arrest standard which is the lowest hurdle.

Last edited:
It's not really interesting.

it is long settled in the US that investigators can lie, mislead or bluff the accused into damaging admissions or lies that will harm his defence at trial.

A common technique is to commit the accused to a lie that he tells to explain certain evidence, then confront him with the evidence which proves he is lying later on.

This is what happened to dear Barry. e.g. Grusing held evidence indicative of the left turn (missing mileage, location data) but was not 100% certain. So he simply asked Barry which direction Barry went at the junction and Barry foolishly said he turned left. This is entirely fine under US law.

Totally agree @mrjitty
Interersting? Not so much - pretty simple actually
-When LE lies to a suspect it's legal and the lies serve as an aid in the pursuit of the truth
-When a suspect lies to LE it's illegal and the lies serve to cover up the truth/obstruct justice
Coventional wisdom tells us if someone has nothing to hide they have no reason to cover up the truth

Bottomline - BM is the lying liar who illegally lied to LE and at some point may be charged with obstruction of justice.

I think Iris also highlites/whines on one of the lawsuits or both, that LE lied to Barry and how terrible that was and that there are currently no remedies under the law for LE lying to Barry. Understandably, IMO, as I understand it's not illegal so why would there be remedies?
Perhaps one of Iris' points will be that since LE can lie to BM, BM should be able to lie to LE.
It would not surprise me.
She likes to deal in the upside down world IMO
ALL IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads