Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w prejudice* #104

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Arrest Affidavit
—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94
Thread #95 Thread #96 Thread #97 Thread #98 Thread #99
Thread #100Thread #101 [/B]Thread #102
Thread #103

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

Barry Morphew has been charged with Suzanne's murder and he and his businesses are open to sleuthing.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

<modsnip: This post has been removed. It is a violation of the law to broadcast this recording.>

ADMIN NOTE:

Thanks to Seattle1, a reminder that Colorado Court has strict policy that court proceedings including WEBEX cannot be filmed/recorded/rebroadcast or face contempt charges.

Yes! I was just amusing myself by thinking how else he could amuse himself - I really don't think he would take to flower arranging or dressmaking, but maybe some courses might interest him. Philosophy, Art Appreciation and Creative Writing come to mind. And maybe he could join a book club? Or a Tai Chi group?
YES! A book club!! Iirc, back in thread #101 @waldojabba suggested, The Maysville Murder: Anatomy of a Wife Killer. There were other great titles too! Yep, he needs to join a book club :p!! I’d like to suggest, Nightmare in Denver :).

Can we just take a moment to draw a big circle around the obvious?

Barry put up $500,000 to bond out of jail after his arrest.

There's no telling how much he's paid out to his attorneys or what that final total one day be. It'll be a big number.

Bigger than whatever he sold her RR for.

Think about Suzanne's inheritance money, buried into PP. Think of her share in the Indiana home. Think of her share in Barry's businesses.

Barry's moving to Denver. (Sure he is. I'll believe it when I see it. If he does, I wonder how often he'll borrow other vehicles and take accidental drives in and through Maysville to keep an eye on things.) But let's say he does. Moves to Denver.

Adult children, no one still in high school.

Barry could have stopped the hemorrhaging at just half the money.

He could be living and working in Denver, drinking whatever he likes, Googling whatever he likes, have as many special friends as he likes, building his business however he likes, visiting their daughters ...

And Suzanne could still be alive.

Hard stop.

JMO

BBM - Why do you think he's drinking after all these decades?

I am unsure whether you meant this to be a rhetorical question or not but I offer my thoughts
I am also curious where you got the notion that he has not imbibed in decades?
Evidence that he is not a “teetotaler” is in the aa in the form of his dna on the lips of the beer bottles

Why do I think he is drinking? Allow me to take a look at his life
He has been unmasked and totally exposed to be the “poser” that he is. IMO the man has a lot of shame, his carefully crafted image shot to hell. One bad choice, and you know, God let it happen. But then God let all the rest happen to him too.

A stint in jail. The shackles and prison garb pictures of him plastered in all the tabloids.

No resolution to his murder case. Imagine the stress of having that hang over you like the BIG dark cloud it is.
And he knows the real killer is out there because… it’s Him ! That will be the final unmasking and if he does wind being sarrested again – my best guess is that might send him totally over the edge.

IMO drinking is also in his genes. IMO there are a few DUI’s here and there in the family tree. So much enabling going on in that family it basically sounds a siren IMO

But mostly I think he is drinking to cover up and try and even out “uncomfortable feelings” that scream very loudly inside his head. He has his work, he has some hunting, he has Sho but he is a shell of the perfect in every way “Lord and Master of the universe” he used to consider himself to be. And the whole world knows it.

All just my own sepculation IMO

Given BM's personality type....drinking would be a positive development from an investigation standpoint. He certainly would be a "bad drunk" on the one hand....and likely slurred but loose lips on the other. Let him drink...then let him talk.

You know, if I were Sho, I think I'd find myself being a bit careful around Barry. I wouldn't want to say anything that he might not like, about when we met, for instance. And if I were Barry, I think I'd find myself being a bit careful around Sho. I wouldn't want to say anything that she might not like, in case she might get upset, and perhaps say something to somebody about something or other. Ah, love, ain't it grand?

So is the entire remaining family moving to Denver?
Their kids - one is graduated from college and on her own. The second one I think lives with her older sister, but not much is said about what's she's up to currently - she is "college age". So I don't think the older has plans to move from Gunnison and it's anyone's guess of the 2nd daughter will move. I've always thought he wasn't "hanging out" in Chaffee County anyway regularly since the case was dismissed and he didn't need to stay there anymore.

There's no telling how much he's paid out to his attorneys or what that final total one day be. It'll be a big number.

Think about Suzanne's inheritance money, buried into PP. Think of her share in the Indiana home. Think of her share in Barry's businesses.

Barry's moving to Denver. (Sure he is. I'll believe it when I see it. If he does, I wonder how often he'll borrow other vehicles and take accidental drives in and through Maysville to keep an eye on things.) But let's say he does. Moves to Denver.

He could be living and working in Denver, drinking whatever he likes, Googling whatever he likes, have as many special friends as he likes, building his business however he likes, visiting their daughters ...

Hard stop.

JMO
I do see your point. We also know Barry is not the sharpest tool in the shed. But, he IS a tool whether in a the shed or not.

I’ve never been totally convinced of their total assests given we are not privy to the liabilities. Yes, they likely had more than many, but they also lived high, IMO. I doubt MM1 was staying in something less than suitable for their lifestyle while in college. As well, although it was found that there was no mortgage on PP, do we know if he was running a high line of credit secured against the Indiana home? In my mind, the timing of Suzanne’s murder is interesting. I believe Barry was hiding something from Suzanne that would have been exposed after the closing on the IN house. By Suzanne’s own admission to her sister it appears she recognized they were living beyond their means. Perhaps LE have found that as well.

Regardless, you are right about them having enough to go their separate ways, but I doubt it would be enough for Barry. Whatever there was left, he wanted it all. I wonder if the “Duke of Haggard” (that slayed me!) looks as poorly as he does partly because he can see his bank account in steady decline with the knowledge that this ain’t over by a long shot. Spezze and the DA’s office aren’t done with him and IE doesn’t come cheap. None of this worked out the way that tool had it figured in his muddled brain. I have so much respect for how they had him figured from day one.

As I said before, I can’t wait to see him in the back seat of a cruiser with cuffs on! Although I want to see him convicted more than anything else, I would settle for another arrest and a lengthy trial draining him of the money he stole from Suzanne. The irony for him is that he got the bond money back, but he absolutely knows they are coming for him again and he absolutely knows the only chance he has of getting off is paying IE and DN. I like that! Easy come, easy go, eh Barry??

Sounds like he is living in Denver from the Twitter feed from Lauren so I am of the opinion people probably need to give up that idea that he'll be in Salida much let alone organizing searches after 2 years. I'm just a realist I guess. The pressure should be on law enforcement in my opinion.
BM's motivation to make a show of looking for SM comes primarily from his promise to his daughters to do so, and secondarily from a feeling that he needs to maintain an innocent posture in case he is charged with SM's murder again. People in Salida will not give up evaluating his claim of innocence, and will observe what he does and does not do about finding SM. This is just human nature. He is too narcissistic to feel this as pressure.

But I agree, people should have expectations of LE as well, and observe whether there is real and meaningful follow through on the commitment to search and investigate. Spezee should be held accountable to his promise.

Hard stop.

JMO
He got the $500,000 returned

I do see your point. We also know Barry is not the sharpest tool in the shed. But, he IS a tool whether in a the shed or not.

I’ve never been totally convinced of their total assests given we are not privy to the liabilities. Yes, they likely had more than many, but they also lived high, IMO. I doubt MM1 was staying in something less than suitable for their lifestyle while in college. As well, although it was found that there was no mortgage on PP, do we know if he was running a high line of credit secured against the Indiana home? In my mind, the timing of Suzanne’s murder is interesting. I believe Barry was hiding something from Suzanne that would have been exposed after the closing on the IN house. By Suzanne’s own admission to her sister it appears she recognized they were living beyond their means. Perhaps LE have found that as well.

Regardless, you are right about them having enough to go their separate ways, but I doubt it would be enough for Barry. Whatever there was left, he wanted it all. I wonder if the “Duke of Haggard” (that slayed me!) looks as poorly as he does partly because he can see his bank account in steady decline with the knowledge that this ain’t over by a long shot. Spezze and the DA’s office aren’t done with him and IE doesn’t come cheap. None of this worked out the way that tool had it figured in his muddled brain. I have so much respect for how they had him figured from day one.

As I said before, I can’t wait to see him in the back seat of a cruiser with cuffs on! Although I want to see him convicted more than anything else, I would settle for another arrest and a lengthy trial draining him of the money he stole from Suzanne. The irony for him is that he got the bond money back, but he absolutely knows they are coming for him again and he absolutely knows the only chance he has of getting off is paying IE and DN. I like that! Easy come, easy go, eh Barry??
Barry surely had full confidence he could control Suzanne. Naturally HE wouldn't call it controlling but it is what it is. He controlled the money, the real estate, the family. What she wore, what she ate, how she cleaned.

We come to find out that Suzanne had a lovely family who loved her very much. He boxed them out.

The time for Suzanne to leave might've been 2018. If he would've let her. But she was torn. He makes threats. Suddenly she needed him for health coverage, with a new diagnosis. One daughter was still young, one was moving away.

Barry must've begged, threatened, cajoled, love bombed and guilted her mightily. Borrowed money from Gene, used Suzanne's inheritance to buy PP. (Indiana hadn't sold, was rented almost like a contract for deed, due 6/2020 or so.)

Once in Colorado it was WORSE than before. Suzanne was trying to white knuckle it until the Second's graduation
She actually believed there was a path forward, that he would let her go.

I think Suzanne saw the pending sale of the Indiana home as the opportunity to recover her inheritance, divorce, and live locally for that senior year.

Barry didn't see it that way. And have people know he couldn't control/satisfy his woman? Settle up accounts. Half and half, with Suzanne recovering her inheritance*, to boot? Not gonna happen. He put her off for months, years by refusing to talk about it, likely forcing her to recite all he'd done for her.

*Her inheritance, comingled so divorce court might consider it joint, but Barry acquired it then fraudulently because he clearly represented and understood it was her and all hers -- and made promises to give it back -- just didn't. And wasn't going to.

I still think something happened on the Wednesday that was too illuminating for Suzanne to ignore anymore.

Barry decided to stop her before she could take action.

If somehow she'd lived through Mother's Day and closed on the Indiana house, sadly she'd have learned he wasn't going to give her her money back, not then either. Not ever.

Divorce was never going to be an option with Barry. Not when he had tranquilizer darts lying around.

Why? What made him so special? Why couldn't he just divorce like normal people do every day?

Ego.

JMO

Their kids - one is graduated from college and on her own. The second one I think lives with her older sister, but not much is said about what's she's up to currently - she is "college age". So I don't think the older has plans to move from Gunnison and it's anyone's guess of the 2nd daughter will move. I've always thought he wasn't "hanging out" in Chaffee County anyway regularly since the case was dismissed and he didn't need to stay there anymore.
Denver is hours away from Gunnison as well, correct? Just thought it was interesting because during the discussion of Barry’s bond requirements, the three remaining members needed to be closer, the girls couldn’t be driving over the pass in bad weather. I wonder if Barry is all alone in his new life in Denver.

Barry surely had full confidence he could control Suzanne. Naturally HE wouldn't call it controlling but it is what it is. He controlled the money, the real estate, the family. What she wore, what she ate, how she cleaned.

We come to find out that Suzanne had a lovely family who loved her very much. He boxed them out.

The time for Suzanne to leave might've been 2018. If he would've let her. But she was torn. He makes threats. Suddenly she needed him for health coverage, with a new diagnosis. One daughter was still young, one was moving away.

Barry must've begged, threatened, cajoled, love bombed and guilted her mightily. Borrowed money from Gene, used Suzanne's inheritance to buy PP. (Indiana hadn't sold, was rented almost like a contract for deed, due 6/2020 or so.)

Once in Colorado it was WORSE than before. Suzanne was trying to white knuckle it until the Second's graduation
She actually believed there was a path forward, that he would let her go.

I think Suzanne saw the pending sale of the Indiana home as the opportunity to recover her inheritance, divorce, and live locally for that senior year.

Barry didn't see it that way. And have people know he couldn't control/satisfy his woman? Settle up accounts. Half and half, with Suzanne recovering her inheritance*, to boot? Not gonna happen. He put her off for months, years by refusing to talk about it, likely forcing her to recite all he'd done for her.

*Her inheritance, comingled so divorce court might consider it joint, but Barry acquired it then fraudulently because he clearly represented and understood it was her and all hers -- and made promises to give it back -- just didn't. And wasn't going to.

I still think something happened on the Wednesday that was too illuminating for Suzanne to ignore anymore.

Barry decided to stop her before she could take action.

If somehow she'd lived through Mother's Day and closed on the Indiana house, sadly she'd have learned he wasn't going to give her her money back, not then either. Not ever.

Divorce was never going to be an option with Barry. Not when he had tranquilizer darts lying around.

Why? What made him so special? Why couldn't he just divorce like normal people do every day?

Ego.

JMO
Yes, his ego. Although, I think that has taken a hit, big time. His last two appearances he looks just terrible. Not that smiling face waltzing out of the courthouse, girls on his arms, kissy face with IE. No, he’s scared and has good reason to be. The vast majority of people following this case know he did it. LE can PROVE he did it. No questions. HE knows he did it and his lies didn’t work. They have exposed the great hunter of Maysville for what he is, a killer and a complete fraud. I imagine he has many sleepless nights mulling over ALL the things he messed up. He thought he was SO smart he could kill Suzanne, fool LE, and come out of it smelling like a rose, lol. How’d that work for ya big man?

I still firmly believe he will be convicted at some point. But, if it goes sideways again, he will still find no peace. That truth is written all over his haggard face. JMHO

I’d wager that at least 1/2 of that found it’s way directly into IE and DN’s bank account. And it isn’t over! MOO
I don’t think there are any remaining charges and the judge clarified he did not need an attorney to handle hunting season so once any remaining bills are paid it is over for the time being except charges related to any costs for probation. Obviously if another attempt is made related to Suzanne’s disappearance there will be costs again for defense. On the other hand he is no longer hindered by having to stay in Chaffee County and daily drives to download the data from electronic monitoring so can freely work. Denver does open up more possibilities. As far as his daughters they are all free and unencumbered by the emotional weight of the trial and the need to support their father to the degree that was required/needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member