Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w prejudice* #104

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO

Suzanne is no longer alive.
BM is responsible for Suzanne no longer being alive.

Again, this was a methodical, very thorough investigation during which 135 search warrants were executed;1400 tips followed up on; 400 interviews conducted in 2 states. Through their combined efforts over a year long investigation, investigators from three agencies of LE collected, evaluated and followed the facts and evidence and ruled out:
bike accident, animal attack, abduction, Gone Girl and SM’s lover JL. That the facts and evidence they collected, evaluated and followed led to this NOT being a sudden/mysterious disappearance of a wife and Mother on Mother’s Day, rather, an intimate partner homicide staged as a disappearance the day after the homicide took place. That BM murdered Suzanne Saturday afternoon, 5/9/20 and staged her disappearance for the following day Sunday, 5/10/20 to buy himself time to- hide/dispose of SM, and to get outta dodge to create distance and have an alibi, dump other evidence he used during commission of his crime, and to get a significant head start on LE (from around 2:47pm on 5/9/20 to just before 6:00pm on 5/10/20 when Ritter’s called LE, so roughly 26-27 hours head start before LE became involved), to misdirect LE/LE investigation and send them on a wild goose chase/s. Indeed LE caught up, persevered, did their due diligence, followed the facts and all the evidence which led them to this being a staged/set-up disappearance complete with a staged bike, staged bike helmet, and a staged alibi. Again to reiterate, this was a very thorough investigation during which all LE involved via due diligence collected and evaluated all the facts and evidence which led all three agencies of LE to include the FBI, to conclude after following and evaluating all the evidence and ruling out other possibilities and other potential suspects (JL), that BM murdered SM and staged it as a disappearance.

This was NOT just some bumbling keystone cops trying to railroad an innocent man. If that were the case, the local CCSO/Spezze wouldn’t have asked for assistance from state and federal authorities.
As we know, Spezze did the right thing by calling on CBI and FBI for assistance and to utilize resources he/his department didn’t/doesn’t have access to. If anyone believes three agencies of LE to include the FBI are lying and involved in some conspiracy to railroad an innocent man, I own swamp land in Florida I’d like to sell ya. IMO some following this case willfully ignore the facts and evidence and would like to think they are smarter than the FBI/FBI experts, so be it and LOL. And again, just because CBI/CBI agents opined they felt BM’s arrest was premature, does not negate the facts and evidence in this case. And let’s also not forget CBI agents also stated that although they thought the arrest was premature, all the evidence led to BM being responsible and knew they had the right guy in custody.

The Investigation was audited by legendary FBI SA Grusing before being handed over to the DA.

During 1st attempt of prosecuting BM, DA/Prosecutors unintentionally fumbled the ball so to speak with some help from Judge L. issuing harshest sanctions by eliminating most of prosecution expert witnesses. Thankfully prosecution motion to dismiss without prejudice was granted, allowing for BM to be re-charged/re-arrested and brought to trial at future date.

DA/Prosecutors, whomever they are/have been elected/appointed at the time of future trial, need to be able to prove to a jury in a court of law, BARD, that BM murdered Suzanne.
They will do this by coming (back) to the table more prepared, organized, confident, and with a well crafted, killer (pardon the pun) court/trial strategy, ready to present and explain the facts and all the evidence clearly and methodically to a jury in a way the jury can understand for them to be able to put the pieces together/connect the dots of all the facts and evidence which lead to only one person responsible, the one person who had the means, motive AND the opportunity as the last person to be with SM when she stopped communicating with the world-BM, and return a guilty verdict and sentence of LWOP- BM sent back to where he got a taste of living for several months- a concrete cage, where he belongs and deserves to be for the rest of his life for taking the life of his wife of three decades, his daughters’ Mother, a beloved daughter, sibling and friend who by all accounts which I believe to be true was a gentle, kind, caring, loving, beautiful soul.

SM was all those things and also an imperfect human just like all of us and she did not deserve to have her life stolen from her because she had grown unhappy in her relationship with BM (for good reason imo), fell in love with someone else, was done putting up with BM’s abuse and control and wanted to civilly divorce him.

It’s just too bad BM couldn’t do what most normal people do when they find out their partner doesn’t want to be with them anymore and taken it like a man, cut his losses, grieve the relationship and eventually move on. Most mature adults handle it that way or something similar if for no other reason, for their children’s sake and emotional well-being. But no, BM thinks of only BM’s needs and desires and decided he wasn’t having any of it, couldn’t stand to lose control of SM and giving up the life he’d become accustomed to nor willing to split their assets. So instead of doing the stable, right thing and grant SM a civil divorce, he decided to do what countless other selfish, narcissistic, controlling, bad actor husbands and subjects of countless Dateline, 48 hours etc. episodes did, stupidly thought murder was a better option/solution than getting divorced. And just like countless others who ended up getting caught, thought he could outsmart LE and that no one would care about SM and it would all quickly go away. He was wrong! He just got luckier than some other bad, evil dudes and husbands due to his hunting and landscaping skills, he knew how to hide/conceal a body really well, had the $$$$ (some of it Suzanne’s grrrrr) to hire a top Defense team and prosecutor’s fumbled the ball at first attempt at prosecuting him. What a lucky guy!
For now.

I firmly believe he’s living on borrowed time as a free man, that his luck will eventually run out, that they will come for him again and that ultimately, Suzanne will get the justice she rightfully deserves.

Tick tock, BM.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BeingSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
A lot of great points, yet I believe your summary fails to address the issues with LE on this case. The initial sheriff deputies contaminated the bike scene and the PP home. That was crucial. That was detrimental to the investigation. They let BM have free reign over a possible crime scene- home and bike scene. They moved the bike up the hill ( terrible police work) and put it in the road, then let BM and George touch the bike. That was the very beginning of the case. They failed to retrieve video from the market in time, and didn't canvas for video, but rather said" if you have any surveillance video hold on to it"
Calling in the CBI AND FBI seemed the right thing to do, yet proved to be a mistake. They were not on the same page for some reason, as Lauren stated in some of her synapsis. Why not just let the FBI take the case, to avoid rogue LE officers and conflicts of interests. IMO butting of heads for notoriety and ego. CBI Cahill testified at the PH as a prosecution witness, yet boosted the defense case.Cahill shot himself with his on duty weapon, then lies about it, damaging this case and his reputation.

Grusing has an excellent history as an agent. Unfortunately, on this case he spoke with BM for 30 hours and failed to get the smoking gun irrefutable evidence needed for a conviction. Grusing was a direct line of communication to BM- and BM seemingly cooperated with most interviews he requested. IMO Grusing is currently working for CCSO because he knows he let BM slip away. Even Tom Brady has a bad game.
Hopefully, we'll get a trial at some point after this comedy of errors.

A lot of great points, yet I believe your summary fails to address the issues with LE on this case. The initial sheriff deputies contaminated the bike scene and the PP home. That was crucial. That was detrimental to the investigation. They let BM have free reign over a possible crime scene- home and bike scene. They moved the bike up the hill ( terrible police work) and put it in the road, then let BM and George touch the bike. That was the very beginning of the case. They failed to retrieve video from the market in time, and didn't canvas for video, but rather said" if you have any surveillance video hold on to it"
Calling in the CBI AND FBI seemed the right thing to do, yet proved to be a mistake. They were not on the same page for some reason, as Lauren stated in some of her synapsis. Why not just let the FBI take the case, to avoid rogue LE officers and conflicts of interests. IMO butting of heads for notoriety and ego. CBI Cahill testified at the PH as a prosecution witness, yet boosted the defense case.Cahill shot himself with his on duty weapon, then lies about it, damaging this case and his reputation.

Grusing has an excellent history as an agent. Unfortunately, on this case he spoke with BM for 30 hours and failed to get the smoking gun irrefutable evidence needed for a conviction. Grusing was a direct line of communication to BM- and BM seemingly cooperated with most interviews he requested. IMO Grusing is currently working for CCSO because he knows he let BM slip away. Even Tom Brady has a bad game.
Get out of my head! I think there was a mountain of evidence, but no body, and some excellent lawyering against a prosecution that was the opposite of detail oriented. I am of the opinion that Barry murdered Suzanne, but no body cases require a skilled prosecution. This one was anything but. As long as the investigation continues, I am fine with a do-over. Weaknesses were exposed, and a new team will hopefully have a better handle on how to pursue this.

Cowering indoors while Lauren S. was at the door requesting an interview. He sent MM1 out to confront Lauren while he hid indoors.

Starting a relationship so quickly after their mother vanished.

Telling a daughter to call a neighbor to check on Suzanne instead of doing it himself.

Embarrassing his daughters by telling so many lies to investigators, statements that are out there forever for any friends, boyfriends, future children, future employers of theirs to read and gossip and whisper about.

These behaviors!
A caring father does not act like this!
I get it that people here don't like or respect BM, and if he did in fact kill his wife, he doesn't deserve much respect. Still, basic fairness (in my opinion) mean people act responsibly and don't take cheap shots, which are unfair and a form of bullying.

I'm sure people are familiar with "press ambush tactics". That's when the media (a "reporter" plus cameraman) shows up at someone's front door to confront them about something. Like "Did you kill your wife?" or "Did your business cheat customers?" or whatever. We've all seen them, and we should also know there is nothing the subject will say that won't make them look bad. Press ambushes are strictly a no-win situation. So BM avoiding a press ambush seems like good sense to me, and not a case of him "cowering" or "hiding" indoors. Just MOO.

I get it that people here don't like or respect BM, and if he did in fact kill his wife, he doesn't deserve much respect. Still, basic fairness (in my opinion) mean people act responsibly and don't take cheap shots, which are unfair and a form of bullying.

I'm sure people are familiar with "press ambush tactics". That's when the media (a "reporter" plus cameraman) shows up at someone's front door to confront them about something. Like "Did you kill your wife?" or "Did your business cheat customers?" or whatever. We've all seen them, and we should also know there is nothing the subject will say that won't make them look bad. Press ambushes are strictly a no-win situation. So BM avoiding a press ambush seems like good sense to me, and not a case of him "cowering" or "hiding" indoors. Just MOO.

Ok, scratch that. There is a whole lot more that I listed.

The aspect of this incident that stands out, when referring to the original question of "examples of being a bad parent". If, in fact he was avoiding "media ambush", why would he have his daughter answer the door? This only reinforces the point of him being a poor parent. He would have made sure NOBODY answered the door.

I saw that the thread title now has ‘reopened’. I haven’t followed the thread in a while? When did this happen and how far do I lave to go back? Thanks!

I saw that the thread title now has ‘reopened’. I haven’t followed the thread in a while? When did this happen and how far do I lave to go back? Thanks!
It's not. We got excited for nothing. Barry Morphew is a free man, and may very well live as one forever. It sucks, but we all know exactly what he is. Well. Most of us anyway.

The aspect of this incident that stands out, when referring to the original question of "examples of being a bad parent". If, in fact he was avoiding "media ambush", why would he have his daughter answer the door? This only reinforces the point of him being a poor parent. He would have made sure NOBODY answered the door.
It wasn’t an ambush Lauren had even been communicating with BM. It was more like a bait and switch on BMs part. And to make matters worse dragging his daughter into it, when he didn’t need to.

BM always mimics the energetic, decisive jack-of-all-trades. So he should have been able to slam the door in the TV crew's face himself (instead letting his daughter do that). He is a lousy coward. IMO

Thanks for your response and feedback. As to the first night at the bike scene, it is my understanding that 911 calls for missing adults, the initial responding officers upon arriving on scene are to assess/use their judgement about whether they suspect foul play/crime occured and process scene for evidence IF crime/foul play is immediately suspected. This was discussed quite a bit early on and the consensus was responding deputies likely didn’t suspect Foul Play upon initial assessment after first arriving on scene.

Deputies responded to a call about a woman that had gone for a bike ride and didn’t return. Arrived on scene, looked around (assessing) and saw a bike lying in a ravine and probably thought she somehow wrecked, wandered off to try and get help and was possibly laying injured somewhere. IMO that is very likely what they initially suspected had happened as while looking for SM around the immediate area they are seen and heard on body cam yelling out “Suzanne?, Suzanne?”. Personally, I believe the responding deputies only started to suspect something was hinky “off” after BM arrived on scene and their walk through the house with him. IMO they did not “let” BM & GD touch the bike. The two of them walked over to the bike and started touching it and the Deputy said “guys! don’t touch the bike!”, something to that effect. Asking BM to grab a bag for them in the house, yeah that was weird/an unfortunate mistake. Perhaps they were reprimanded by their Superiors after the fact for doing that and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.
I will just say that LE officers aren’t perfect and make mistakes like the rest of us. Anyway, the point of my post was that I think the overall investigation by the task force which was assembled by day 3-4 post SM reported “missing” was a very well done, thorough investigation.

I have to respectfully disagree that these were rogue LE officers (I gather you’re referring to CCSO officers). IMO there is zero evidence that initial responding officers nor any CCSO officers involved with investigating this case were corrupt or on the take. I’m not saying there aren’t any rogue cops out there, there absolutely are that have proven to be so. Having said that, imo there are more good LE officers than bad/rogue LE officers and I personally haven’t seen any evidence or proof of any CCSO officer/s being, or going rogue.

I also respectfully disagree that it was a mistake to call in the CBI and the FBI for assistance as is done in hundreds of investigations across the country for help with their valuable experience, experts, tools and resources which a lot of small, local jurisdictions do not have access to. IMO, Spezze absolutely did the right thing calling both agencies in by day 3 as he knew they, his small town force, were in over their head so to speak and needed help from state/federal authorities and their resources, and so the task force was formed.

There’s no way Spezze could’ve predicted the whole debacle that took place with one CBI agent-Cahill. IMO, there is also no proof CBI and FBI weren’t on the same page. Also, the FBI can’t just take over a case, that’s not how it works, see below FBI link. Snipped:

If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI “take over” the investigation?​

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

Lastly, IMO Grusing did a great job. BM was never and is never going to confess to a soul what he did, no matter how much pressure is put on him imo. The closest he came to a confession was when he asked for immunity (paraphrased), “if I open my whole life up to you guys, can I get immunity?” Huh?? Immunity for what?!?!
I wonder sometimes if he was getting really scared by that point and thinking of telling Grusing he killed SM in self defense, panicked and hid her body and if I tell you where I hid her remains, can I get immunity? Or, Suzanne asked me to help her commit suicide and I hid her body so as not to put our daughter’s through the pain of knowing their Mother wanted to die and leave them, so it’s really not my fault since SM asked me to do it, so can I get immunity for telling you the whole story and giving up location of her remains? No.
Just my wild speculation about what he might have been thinking when asking about immunity. At this point I really wouldn’t put anything past this lying, liar, murderer. I really have to wonder if scary Barry even understands/knows what immunity means/how it works. My guess, no.
SMDH.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE

Last edited:
The case was reopened on 8/16/2022 pursuant to a motion by the defense dated 5/26/22 where BM is requesting his seized property returned. The hearing on that motion is scheduled for 10/25/22. The actual motion is posted upthread.

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Back from a short vacation, learning the #BarryMorphew attorney filed a motion to get some of his belongings back from the investigation and the prosecution filed another motion in response. New or existing charges HAVE NOT been filed.
10:51 AM · Sep 9, 2022

@LaurenScharfTV

His attorneys asked about getting his property back after the case was dismissed in April. The judge told them to file a motion and for the prosecution to file a response. Then the judge quit. So it was recently reopened for a hearing in October on that issue alone.
10:52 AM · Sep 9, 2022

@LaurenScharfTV
Replying to
@**********

There was some police activity near the Puma Path property recently, but no official word on what that entails. I know investigators have spent a lot of time searching this summer.
11:01 AM · Sep 9, 2022

Thanks for your response and feedback. As to the first night at the bike scene, it is my understanding that 911 calls for missing adults, the initial responding officers upon arriving on scene are to assess/use their judgement about whether they suspect foul play/crime occured and process scene for evidence IF crime/foul play is immediately suspected. This was discussed quite a bit early on and the consensus was responding deputies likely didn’t suspect Foul Play upon initial assessment after first arriving on scene.

Deputies responded to a call about a woman that had gone for a bike ride and didn’t return. Arrived on scene, looked around (assessing) and saw a bike lying in a ravine and probably thought she somehow wrecked, wandered off to try and get help and was possibly laying injured somewhere. IMO that is very likely what they initially suspected had happened as while looking for SM around the immediate area they are seen and heard on body cam yelling out “Suzanne?, Suzanne?”. Personally, I believe the responding deputies only started to suspect something was hinky “off” after BM arrived on scene and their walk through the house with him. IMO they did not “let” BM & GD touch the bike. The two of them walked over to the bike and started touching it and the Deputy said “guys! don’t touch the bike!”, something to that effect. Asking BM to grab a bag for them in the house, yeah that was weird/an unfortunate mistake. Perhaps they were reprimanded by their Superiors after the fact for doing that and hopefully learned a valuable lesson.
I will just say that LE officers aren’t perfect and make mistakes like the rest of us. Anyway, the point of my post was that I think the overall investigation by the task force which was assembled by day 3-4 post SM reported “missing” was a very well done, thorough investigation.

I have to respectfully disagree that these were rogue LE officers (I gather you’re referring to CCSO officers). IMO there is zero evidence that initial responding officers nor any CCSO officers involved with investigating this case were corrupt or on the take. I’m not saying there aren’t any rogue cops out there, there absolutely are that have proven to be so. Having said that, imo there are more good LE officers than bad/rogue LE officers and I personally haven’t seen any evidence or proof of any CCSO officer/s being, or going rogue.

I also respectfully disagree that it was a mistake to call in the CBI and the FBI for assistance as is done in hundreds of investigations across the country for help with their valuable experience, experts, tools and resources which a lot of small, local jurisdictions do not have access to. IMO, Spezze absolutely did the right thing calling both agencies in by day 3 as he knew they, his small town force, were in over their head so to speak and needed help from state/federal authorities and their resources, and so the task force was formed.

There’s no way Spezze could’ve predicted the whole debacle that took place with one CBI agent-Cahill. IMO, there is also no proof CBI and FBI weren’t on the same page. Also, the FBI can’t just take over a case, that’s not how it works, see below FBI link. Snipped:

If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI “take over” the investigation?​

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

Lastly, IMO Grusing did a great job. BM was never and is never going to confess to a soul what he did, no matter how much pressure is put on him imo. The closest he came to a confession was when he asked for immunity (paraphrased), “if I open my whole life up to you guys, can I get immunity?” Huh?? Immunity for what?!?!
I wonder sometimes if he was getting really scared by that point and thinking of telling Grusing he killed SM in self defense, panicked and hid her body and if I tell you where I hid her remains, can I get immunity? Or, Suzanne asked me to help her commit suicide and I hid her body so as not to put our daughter’s through the pain of knowing their Mother wanted to die and leave them, so it’s really not my fault since SM asked me to do it, so can I get immunity for telling you the whole story and giving up location of her remains? No.
Just my wild speculation about what he might have been thinking when asking about immunity. At this point I really wouldn’t put anything past this lying, liar, murderer. I really have to wonder if scary Barry even understands/knows what immunity means/how it works. My guess, no.
SMDH.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE
Thanks for your reply. I was speaking of Cahill as the rogue cop, and still am not sure of his motive for throwing a curveball at the PH. I agree that the vast majority of LE working in the public's interest, and respect LE as a needed component of a fair and safe society. I also don't paint all LE as "do no wrong" - not to be questioned authoritarian figures. Being a cops son and brother- I know their human....believe me lol.

The first LE at the scene seemed well intentioned, but should have secured that area once they discovered the bike. This is basic. I don't think it actually would have made a difference in the case, but should have been done.

Grusing got the most evidence in the case IMO. I think he did a great job, but am frustrated he never sealed the deal. I think he would arrange the questioning in another way, if he could do it over. I understand I have the benefit of hindsight. I appreciate his work- but wanted to hear a strong antagonistic attitude before BM shutting down.

Grusing, the retired FBI agent, on April 22 confronted Morphew with a series of pieces of evidence that he thought didn’t make sense with Morphew’s description of events. While being asked about them, Morphew responded “I don’t recall” a total of 95 times, Grusing said.

Grusing testified that Suzanne used her phone frequently, especially to message her lover in Michigan, but did not send any messages after 2:13 p.m. May 9, about 30 minutes before her husband returned home that afternoon. Grusing said he mentioned to Barry Morphew the uncharacteristic lack of messaging from Suzanne’s phone after that time.

Morphew responded “yeah” and looked at his feet, Grusing said.

Which is horrifying given that even former neighbors with whom he'd once been close - neighbors whose testimony is likely critical to the prosecution - sought legal protection from him.

What could possibly happen with a weapon that can shoot from a great distance in the hands of such a man?

ETA: As long as "the killer is still out there" and the investigation continues against him, were I judge, I wouldn't give him anything beyond a straw he could shoot peas out of, provided they were cooked to the point of mush.
I wonder if JL should be worried.

#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE

RSBM

IMO there is a bit of a tendency to be overcritical of first responders in hindsight when a case turns out to be super difficult, but they cannot have known that in advance, and usually it is not practical to approach every call out like an episode of CSI

In several 'missing persons' cases I have followed, the family has tooled around the house for hours if not days following a murder, because no one realised it was a crime scene yet

Personally I don't think anything was missed or compromised. e.g the bike is not the crime scene. There was never anything you could find there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member