Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing Barry was assigned lawyers for the first hearing because he has not retained qualified criminal defense attorneys yet. He would have to submit an "assets and liabilities" affidavit for the court listing his assets in order to qualify for a public defender or assigned counsel. It doesn't seem like he would qualify as indigent so I would bet this is a timing thing since he has a hearing today and he is entitled to counsel at any proceeding.
That makes sense. It's interesting that he hadn't already retained a criminal defense lawyer though. That seems really dumb given that he's clearly been the main suspect in a murder investigation for the past year.

Maybe something 'mechanical was tampered with on Bobcat?
Apologies if discussed already, catching up!
Or perhaps he revealed something about items found by the highway even though that information was never released by police. It was quite a feature of the press conference yesterday that one of their cards was to do with having remained tight lipped, IMO.

Yes, I noticed the walking steps a
head, no door holding, etc immediately too! Who in their right mind dates a guy who’s wife of 25 years mysteriously disappears and the husband doesn’t give a hoot about finding her? UGH MOO

"Who in their right mind" dates Barry? An undercover cop. I'd die laughing if she's one.

Will not be surprised if BM starts feeling the real heat he'll pull a Dulos

Dulos could only accomplish that because he was not in custody. Which was a big mistake in that case.

I don't think Barry is going to be leaving jail any time soon. I thought it was great that he's guaranteed a trial within 6 months - but he can of course extend the time if he prefers jail to prison.

And yep, the Judge didn't know we were all watching and listening (and no one on his staff was aware, either, I would imagine).

So that was something of a treat for us here on WS - to get to see Barry in court. Was he handcuffed? I thought it seemed he was.

Always amazing to see how quiet and humble most people get when they appear before a judge to face charges.

Any idea when we will be privy to the discovery? TIA!

Not until motions are filed or trial. The defense can try to suppress evidence via a motion to suppress if they believe there's an argument it was obtained in violation of a constitutional right. The defense can later challenge the relevance or scientific validity of evidence closer to trial in other pre-trial motions. But discovery is exchanged between the parties and not released to the public in most states.

Last edited:
Is he requesting a public defender?
According to Chris, he has not obtained a criminal defense lawyer yet, so he has been assigned a public defender. Now the state will look at BM's assets and decide if he has the necessary funds to hire one, or if he needs to be assigned a public defender for the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell