Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh something has never made any sense to me. BM employees sit around for two days ina hotel waiting for some bricks and no one contacts BM about them. They have the wrong tools and no one drives back to get them. The room stinks of bleach and they don’t report it to housekeeping, why! They were paid to stay in a hotel, sit around and do nothing.

I’m confused about the subject of Suzanne’s fear. On the Inside Edition interview, she said that Suzanne was scared, but on The Interview Room she says Suzanne was not scared. This is concerning. The defense puts her on the stand, replays these interviews and then calls her unreliable. I suppose the written content of the text is what really matters.
Yes I’ve wondered about this too. Without knowing the exact context of the text, was it that SM indicated she felt in immediate danger, or did she reveal something to Melinda to the effect she was scared if BM found out about something she wax thinking about or planning to do, like not signing off on something he wanted her to sign off on or wanting/planning to leave him and scared if he found out what he’d do/how’d he react over her exerting her independence, and perhaps asked Melinda for advice about how she thought she should handle it to minimize risk of setting Barry off. That may be why Melinda said she had to pray on it, because maybe SM asked her what she thought she should do or how Melinda thought she should go about handling it/approaching hot tempered, easily set off BM.

IMO, if Melinda felt SM was in immediate danger, I’d think she wouldn’t have said, I need to pray on it and get back to you. That doesn’t make sense to me if a big sister thought little sister was in an immediate danger situation. IMO, if SM indicated she was in immediate danger, Melinda likely would’ve said something like get out of that house ASAP, call the police, go to a shelter, etc., etc. This is just my .02, thankful LE was able to recover the text and we’ll probably, hopefully know more about the context of the text, more details soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I never thought that they were not living together. This is my speculation; however, I really think that the hesitancy has to do more with keeping information (that Barry wanted hidden) out of the public eye.

I mean, who told Barry's nephew to start a crowd funding account to raise money? Who told Barry's nephew to identify himself as Suzanne's nephew and not to mention her husband's name or the fact that he was in fact the nephew of Barry and not Suzanne?

Also, how would it go over if that same person told the media that they lived in a $1.6 million home with another $1 million home in Indiana. Yet, they felt a need to ask the public at large for money...

With those facts, I would be hesitant to say where the missing woman lived, too. In fact, you'd think that they would be embarrassed to set up a fund and not use it to search for Suzanne. I would love to know if Andy and his searchers were reimbursed from these funds. If I were a betting person, I would bet that they were not.

JMO.
Great observations !

My .02 re. the crowd funding when there was no need (remember BM along with a friend offered to pay out 200k --knowing they wouldn't have to pay it out ?); speaks more to the fact that Barry wasn't about to let his money go for a cause that wasn't needed.
Agreed with another wonderful unrequited member : "For the love of money is the root of all evil".
Or translate "love" for "greed".
As in : "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine !"
So he felt Suzanne 'belonged' to him ?

The manner in which Barry has comported or conducted himself makes it look like possessiveness taken to an extreme.
I wonder if the AA will reveal that Suzanne may have wanted out and this request resulted in her death ? :(
Imo.

Eta : Sorry, had to go waaaaaaaaay back and check the quote from that member !

Last edited:
I’m confused about the subject of Suzanne’s fear. On the Inside Edition interview, she said that Suzanne was scared, but on The Interview Room she says Suzanne was not scared. This is concerning. The defense puts her on the stand, replays these interviews and then calls her unreliable. I suppose the written content of the text is what really matters.

The written text will tell the story. In the whole picture, Melinda's possible verbal testimony is only one piece of the whole picture and L/E knew about it early on. I think she is walking it back a bit, probably said more than she should have.

The written text will tell the story. In the whole picture, Melinda's possible verbal testimony is only one piece of the whole picture and L/E knew about it early on. I think she is walking it back a bit, probably said more than she should have.
I thought that perhaps LE told her after the first interview, the one where she said Suzanne was scared, to not discuss specifics related to the content of the text because it’s considered to be evidence.

His distancing behavior in the early days of Suzanne’s disappearance made him look suspicious: out of town (ostensibly), didn’t call 911, the family spokesman referred to him only as “the husband”, no coordinated press conference with LE, and no coordination with Crime Stoppers on the reward. None of these things in themselves are evidence of murder, but why would he make himself look so bad...on purpose?
Also not making public pleas, aside from the “Oh Suzanne...” Right out of Scott Peterson’s book and we all know why Scott didn’t want anyone to see him in the news.

I am speculating here; however, from what I have heard Melinda say, I interpret it to mean that Suzanne had made up her mind that she wanted a divorce and was afraid how Barry would handle this news. I think that she reached out to Melinda for advice because--as their mother mentioned--they both were married to men with similar personalities. So, Melinda had gone through a divorce with someone like Barry.

Melinda made it clear that she didn't think that Suzanne was in immediate danger. To me, that just meant that Suzanne would wait to tell Barry that she wanted the divorce. Melinda mentioned that she told Suzanne that she wanted to pray on it before she gave her advice and she also told Suzanne to take it, "one day at a time."

I think that Barry somehow discovered what Suzanne had been texting to Melinda and possibly her friend and was furious that she was talking about him behind his back. Maybe, Suzanne had even snooped and discovered that Barry was in fact cheating on her again in Colorado (as Melinda had implied was suspected in Indiana). Melinda even told Suzanne that if that were the case, moving would not solve this problem.

I think a ferocious argument may have ensued on Friday night. I'm going by what MG said, i.e., Barry looked like he had had the worst night of his life and then he left early "to make the wife happy."

Maybe, Barry gave Suzanne a chance to change her mind on Saturday. When she wouldn't, he decided to murder her. Who knows? She may have said that she also wanted to return to the Indiana home and was willing to let him have the Puma Path home.

I don't think that he would allow any of that because nobody was going to leave him or take any of the family fortune. He wanted it all.

Of course, Melinda realized pretty soon, after Suzanne went missing and was in contact with nobody, that the worst had probably happened. She then contacted police. Thankfully, they were able to retrieve the deleted text, which had to be full of damning details if Melinda felt a need to delete it lest it get into the wrong hands.

JMO.

Which knowing what we know is reasonable. It is also not Murder 1 with deliberation necessarily unless there is more on Barry’s part leading up to Saturday/Sunday.
I think deliberation/premeditation can be very short, (just a few minutes) in order to be considered 1st Degree Murder. There just needs to be enough time to think about it and then decide to follow through.

The last minute plans on Saturday for the job in Broomfield suggests there wasn't much planning in advance. The bike ride story seems carelessly put together. If he did plan the murder in advance, he didn't plan the cover up very well.

Although there is no evidence that he ever assaulted Suzanne or was violent before that weekend, we know, by at least one account, (JS) that BM had a short temper and could become aggressive when a situation was beyond his control.

That may not be much different than what happened that weekend. They argued, he was infuriated, Suzanne stood her ground, and he realized he was losing control over her and their finances. Whatever the case, it ultimately ended in murder.

IMO

Why Hinky Meters Sounded?
LE's hinky meter sounded more quickly and loudly than typical Man-Reports-Wife-Missing case. Why? Why seemingly immediately after that afternoon/eve. of report to LE?
A fact known to someone participating in responding to MisPers call & early search? Or even gen'ly known to some ppl in BM's orbit, e.g., gym members, his business' independent contractors, or ___, who passed the word to LE? Maybe ---
1. BM living separately, not PP, no known extra marital relationship.
2. BM living separately, not PP, w one known extramarital relationship.
3. BM living separately, not PP, multiple known extramarital relationships.
4. BM told ___?
5. Or __?
What factor could trigger hinky meters so quickly, anyone?

Or a fact known to LE, such as that someone at the house had made a 911 call to LE - and perhaps even said a few words.

A woman in distress, a day or two before. Small town, all the police would have known.

Oh something has never made any sense to me. BM employees sit around for two days ina hotel waiting for some bricks and no one contacts BM about them. They have the wrong tools and no one drives back to get them. The room stinks of bleach and they don’t report it to housekeeping, why! They were paid to stay in a hotel, sit around and do nothing.
Yeah, I doubt they minded that much that they were paid to stay at a hotel. I never understood why JP didn't request another room, either. The smell was so strong that it burned MG's eyes before she even entered the room. Yet it didn't seem to bother JP to sleep there. I've read stories about people complaining about chlorine poisoning during their stay at a HI or other hotels, but nobody, even Barry mentioned anything to the staff.

Living-Separately?
@Ontario Mom bbm Afaik, not based on any verified info. Not a crime. The post mentioned it, not to say something some ppl see as morally unfavorable about BM, but to answer why LE immed'ly zeroed in. But nephew's MSM sparked the idea for me.
@MrsWatson Thx.

OTOH, if BM had been living separately from SM, seems likely to me, soc media posters would have discussed this before now, even before The Interview Room podcaster CM talked about BM's trip to Mexico w unnamed GF. I have not followed case on other forums, so IDK if it has been.
W BM's arrest & CM's ref to GF, is Living-Separately off limits here? Even if BM lived at PP, he & SM could have been living very separate lives. Sadly.

He may have simply stumbled while trying to determine if the daughter who was in college was living there.

I didn't hear it this way. Melinda expressed a desire to have a statue which was dear to their mother and to Suzanne and really had been abandoned in a public place for anyone to steal or take.

It was left there when they moved from PP. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Barry's idea to leave it where the supposed bike abduction occurred. The girls most probably will never return to that place.

I saw nothing wrong with Chris suggesting that the statue be returned to a family member who would love and cherish it.

This is just my opinion, though.

Melinda said she didn't want it, if the girls had put it there as a memorial (which obviously, they had). Doesn't matter if they return or not.

Considering it okay to just take it is, to me, super unseemly.

I wonder what happened to the elk carcass from the “roadkill elk” BM cut the rack off AM referred to? She could have been hidden inside the elk carcass he cut the rack from.
MOO
SBM for focus. I had that same thought on a previous thread! I even went to look for info about cadaver dogs being able to distinguish the difference between human & animal decomp. I guess great minds think alike! ;):p

SBM for focus. I had that same thought on a previous thread! I even went to look for info about cadaver dogs being able to distinguish the difference between human & animal decomp. I guess great minds think alike! ;):p
I looked into legally claiming roadkill many threads ago. In Colorado, you can claim and take roadkill and do what you want - skin, use for meat or use antlers. But, before you do, you need to go (in person) to get the official state/county to get the legal paperwork.

I wonder if Barry has the roadkill paperwork from that elk?

JMO, MOO

ETA - Also if he can direct LE to where the carcass was buried or processed?

Last edited:
Something that stuck with me about Melinda talking to CM... when she said she felt something awful the night Suzanne likely passed,
and Suzanne's friend felt that way too.
That stuck with me too. I am hoping that Suzanne’s friend also had some information to share with LE. If she sent a text to her sister, who she did not text with any regularity, sharing something that is so important, she may have confided in her friend as well-maybe even more so. And they both felt she was gone from this earth on Saturday. Melinda herself said that LE did not share what they felt was their timeline with her.

MOO BM had just left his gym in Poncha Springs. I assume they wanted to arrest him whe he was alone and had relatively little access to weapons.
That makes good sense, @Boxer -- It's logical and apparently LE was trying to make everything about the arrest be as safe as possible. It may be how they handle these type arrests. It worked!

Melinda said she didn't want it, if the girls had put it there as a memorial (which obviously, they had). Doesn't matter if they return or not.

I found his plea to anyone in the area to grab it, then he would arrange to have it sent to MM nothing more than an emotional overstep. The entire interview, largely because of his wife, seemed sincere and calm. Then that happened and to me it felt smarmy.

I'm not implying that he is smarmy, but he has been a bit over zealous at times. With all of it considered, I am still grateful that he has been unwaveringly committed to finding and getting justice for SM. Whether I agree with his approach or not, he has been instrumental in much of what's transpired. He seems to often know he has overstepped and tries to walk it back.

He is retired LE so I hope none of these ever equate to problems in the case. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt!

I think investigators always consider the spouse first, and all those close to the victim, until they have reason to exclude them. When they searched the house, they said it was typical to start with the home and work their way out.

I think they just never had reason to leave the home. They followed the evidence and it led them to Barry. They were likely suspicious from the first few interviews. His demeanor, minimal cooperation, refusing the polygraphs, the contradiction in his stories, all would have been big red flags at the start. Imo
bbm
That's the thing -- so many killers think they are the smartest one around. In a killer's opinion, policemen, deputy sheriffs, FBI or SBI, prosecutors are all just second-rate officials -- not very smart, etc., etc. I'm much smarter than they are. I've been planning this thing, got everything ready, now I'm just waiting for the right day and time...

And, yes, sometimes, but not often IMO, LE doesn't get it right or just can't get quite enuff evidence -- it's rare, as we know and have seen. But LE detectives, on-the-beat LE, and all the rest do this for a living. Each one, or nearly, learns something new every time he/she handles a tuff case. It's what they do. And usually, there's more than one person on a case such as this, each one has his/her special experience, skills, knowledge and maybe just that special feel or hunch. They work within rules, they have to get much of what they do approved and authorized, and they are good at it. They are pros.
And most perpetrators underestimate that to their own peril.

Agreed.
If just anyone took it, yes it would be unseemly !!

I think people would rather see it returned to MM if she decides she'd like to have it, rather than a stranger; and that's probably all it is.
As far as the person who mentioned it, CD, he may have misspoken.
That's how it seems.
Not disrespecting him.

Overriding everything else, imo, is a need for justice for Suzanne and it's all that truly matters.
The waiting for the AA is wearying, and the upcoming trial has to be so hard for all who loved this innocent lady.
Murder is the ultimate theft -- imo -- as there's no time to say goodbye to your loved ones and the passing of the innocent one's life is in fear and pain ; and robbed of the life you still had left to live !
I still hope it was so swift that Suzanne never felt it coming.
MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads