CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox On Time Out

I could easily see Suzanne meeting and bonding with someone from the Al-Anon group. As Melinda said, Suzanne did the hard work and was benefiting from what she was learning there - SM telling a friend it was "the best decision she had ever made".

Question- Would LE be able to interview people from her group and use any statements she made about Barry at trial? Find an Al-Anon or Alateen Face-to-Face, Phone, or Online Meeting

Rolo, NoSI, girlhasnoname and 16 others like this.

2. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Well, Barry did say someone close to Suzanne may be responsible for her disappearance. I don't think there was any physical abuse in the marriage. I think that would be something Suzanne would have told her sister during the final conversation. According to Melinda, she was finally ready to open up and I don't see any reason why Suzanne would have held back at that point. Having had her own experience, Melinda would have known Suzanne was in grave danger if she had told her he was physically violent. I doubt she would have said she would pray on it.

I also doubt that Barry had thoughts of killing Suzanne or not wanting to be married to her over the years. I think it was the thought of her no longer being under his control, or leaving him, that enraged him.

IMO

3. Puzzles

Puzzles Well-Known Member

BBM

Confidentiality of what is shared amongst members of Anon groups is inviolable, IMO.

I could build a house with "fix yourself up" books I've purchased over the years, and support a small village in a developing nation with money spent on courses and psychotherapy in attempts to heal from childhood wounds.

All was for nought, until I joined Nar-Anon, and was blessed to find a sponsor who guided me through the intense and profound work of the Twelve Steps.

Step Four, which initially took me almost two years to complete – and now is an ongoing part of my daily practice – brought me healing I would not have believed possible.

I would never answer any questions about what members may have disclosed in an Anon meeting, no matter who posed them.

For me to do or say anything which may diminish the inestimable value of Anon programmes would be tantamount to treason, IMO.

4. jakat

jakat Well-Known Member

Excellent post!

Flicka1, al66pine, 10ofRods and 2 others like this.
  5. Scootie98

Scootie98 Well-Known Member

While I tend to agree that it was not premeditated.....the camping trip for the girls muddies up the water a bit on that score. Might have been a coincidence....and Barry was in a volatile phase of the marriage I think. The girls being gone might have been the window of time that the couple were confronting each other without worrying about the daughters hearing or witnessing arguing, accusations, etc. That lack of third party might be how Barry went over the line, and hurt her beyond repair. Possibly snapping her neck or something, which can't be fixed...then either watching her die, or smothering her to end it. We will soon find out...but I think had the girls been there...the confrontation might not have happened.

Bailey38, Rolo, Niner and 14 others like this.
  6. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

As you say , we will hopefully soon find out more about what really occured. Until then we are discussing what we think happened using the information available to us.

I will be interested in learning more about the camping trip; who arranged it and when it was organised.Was it a last minute trip or was it originally planned as a whole family trip but ended with just the two girls going.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Rolo, Puzzles8, elliefant and 19 others like this.
  7. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO the impending loss of assets was his motive.
    Losing money and losing property is a huge reason for bad acts.

Bailey38, Rolo, nyvictoria and 22 others like this.
  8. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

There are people who don't really recognise the physical abuses against them. I imagine that there may have been times when Suzanne may not have so willingly complied with BM's control ... particularly if it involved their daughters, and things the daughters may have wanted to do/buy/see/experience.

"Oh, he just grabbed my upper arms/wrists (and caused bruising) as he was yelling at me in frustration"
    "Oh, he just threw a book at me, it is not as if he slapped me"
    "Oh, he only pushed me up against a wall, he didn't punch me or anything like that"

I think it is a huge step from 'no violence' to 'murder in the first degree'.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  9. 10ofRods

10ofRods On Time Out

Well, I'm surprised that a number of you think it's possible that killing Suzanne was Barry's first act of physical violence.

Also, you'd be surprised how people react when you tell them about DV. Many of us do choose someone whom we see rarely, and the last thing we want is for that person to become overly involved.

It's very hard for me to believe a scenario in which Barry, never violent before, suddenly looses it and suffocates or strangles Suzanne.

And it is my strong opinion that neither of the daughters were living in the parental home at the time. I believe PE reported about this. I also think that Suzanne's very good friend in Indiana will substantiate this at trial. IMO. Strong hunch.

10. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

I think his control over her was more likely to have been mental rather than physical . I can see him constantly undermining her as far as the girls were concerned.

Chocoholic, Rolo, Orgona and 11 others like this.
  11. EggSalad

EggSalad Well-Known Member

An interesting note is that the last text between SM and her sister was at 9:30 that Saturday. That lines up with a nugget of info many months ago that SM last texted that Saturday morning.

But if SM had texted her sister that, I can only imagine what she had been texting her best friend that Saturday.

I think the last text info, was two separate events.

9:30am with her sister
    Sometime Saturday night with her best friend that sent her best friend into a panic.

I bet the texts with the best friend will be some of the strongest evidence.

Chocoholic, TRB, Flicka1 and 9 others like this.
  12. 10ofRods

10ofRods On Time Out

If he did lie to LE, then the Supreme Court's "trustworthiness" doctrine goes out the window. If LE lied to him, I'll bet many donuts that his lawyers will argue (on appeal) that this is a form of coercion, so I sure hope they didn't.

I too assume Barry exaggerated - but then again, maybe not. From 9 pm Sunday until the next morning, LE was there and Barry was presumably there. That's 12 hours right there, which he was probably counting. Another 8 hours on Tuesday would not be unusual, and given that Suzanne was still missing on Wednesday, I suspect by. then, LE had way more questions for him.

Spezze said at the first press conference that "Barry was cooperating," and that he hoped it would continue. An ordinary deputy who ran into Andy would have almost no way of knowing - except he probably heard that Barry refused a polygraph. Where he heard that, though, I don't know, but it was reported on PE and is definitely what is believed by Salidans.

We wait until August to find out. The lies to LE would have come way before the lies to Lauren and Andy, and surely, Barry did lie to LE in those first few days.

Chocoholic, Error505, Rolo and 11 others like this.
  13. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

That^^ was what my cousin used to say. ' Oh, he just shoved me, he didn't try to hit me or anything.'

'He slapped me but didn't use his fist, he was just angry... I shouldn't have sworn at him when he was mad.' [she eventually left him, thank goodness]

14. windrower

windrower Well-Known Member

According to the Chafee County Assessor website, GD is not a neighbor to the previously Morphew Puma Path property, unless it’s within an LLC ownership (which I think is unlikely). I searched Monarch River Estates I, II, and III, as well as some other properties.

The search function on the assessor site allows property searches by name, address, and subdivision name, as well as a few other options.

Chocoholic, Error505, Rolo and 13 others like this.
  15. Scootie98

where did the best friend live? The sister lived in TN, two hours time differrence. The GF may have been a different time zone. That is relevent as SM was communicating with two people who may have been on totally different time schedules. Timelines are quite relevent.

16. TKG

TKG “Hope is not a strategy”

Small correction but an important one. Respectfully done by me to keep the only details we know accurate:

The text exchange was Friday the 8th NOT Saturday the 9th.

Also in the video shared above, (thank you) Lauren admits she received threats during investigating. 1:00:40. That's a new detail.

17. TKG

The lifelong friend lives in Indiana.

Puzzles8, Orgona, windrower and 10 others like this.
  18. TKG

And...
    Who organized the camping trip?
    Why were you running late on Mother's Day?
    Why weren't any of you planning to be home on Mother's Day?
    When was your last conversation either by phone or in person with your mom?
    Why did you have the neighbor call the police?
    Had you ever witnessed your mom and dad arguing?
    On and on.
    I think the AA will be a shock and hard for them but I agree testifying will be an emotional train wreck.

19. Scootie98

2 hour difference. This is important imo......what Suzanne is doing isn't necessarily the same as what the friend is doing at that moment. Planning a wedding....on two time zones...the communication might reveal some nuggets.

Chocoholic, Error505, Orgona and 5 others like this.
  20. Scootie98

The daughters can, and likely have hired an atty to handle the AA...i.e read, process and vett it....to provide them with what they need to know....pertinance info. That filter would be very beneficial to them.

Chocoholic, Rolo, Puzzles8 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.