CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Error505

Error505 Well-Known Member

I feel certain search warrants were issued on all Morphew cell phones, daughters included, to retrieve all digital/ data evidence during the timeframe of around May 8 and forward. IIRC LE usually makes a complete copy of a phone (for instance BM’s phone). If I’m mis-remembering, please step in and correct me, TIA.
    I would expect LE also obtained court permission to continue to monitor BM’s phone after it was returned to him. By Tuesday FBI & CBI had been notified, and they were on the investigation by Wednesday. Puma Path was still sealed off, BM pickup was being examined. I think there is a ton of digital evidence on BM. It’s definitely hard to explain away digital tracking, especially when you don’t know what information LE has on you…..until you’ve already lied to them. Poor caged guy! MOO

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    ar3593, AnnaGrace, Puzzles8 and 20 others like this.

2. Error505

I agree, and I don’t think SM was ever in Salida on Friday or Saturday. It never has been confirmed by anyone. If BM could have proven someone saw him & SM, he would have brought them forward. I’m of the opinion in AM’s desperate time of preparing for the big search party to find SM, I think he reached out to as many as he could looking for clues and answers, even a psychic. MOO

3. JosieMae

JosieMae Well-Known Member

It's reassuring to hear you think there may be enough. More than enough is even better!

I always appreciate your thoughtful posts.

4. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I agree with you completely, and I think that's why the AA was 129 (not even remotely a record length in modern times, but apparently a record length for a small county in CO).

The AA was probably overwhelming, in terms of phone data (including actual texts).

There's a ton of digital evidence on BM.

5. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Well, we don't know that. AM says that someone saw her in Salida, with Barry, buying sandwiches.

We also do not know the text exchanges (and their cessation) between Suzanne and her daughters. Simply not known. Very important to know it.

Your last question is far beyond what anyone knows right now - except the people who compiled the A.A. They know.

6. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I expected it to be a hell of a lot shorter, but then I remembered a couple things:

This case went on for a year, while the other Colorado cases I followed went on for about a month.

None of those suspects gave extensive interviews, while Barry talked for hours.

I can’t fathom the amount of digital evidence they gathered, and I fully expect that they gathered even more after his arrest (which won’t be in the AA).

Sunny123, Rolo, ar3593 and 35 others like this.
  7. TIGER0822

TIGER0822 Well-Known Member

great post! If my husband was missing. I would be calling, texting, emailing, begging and praying for a response.I would call anyone and everyone to see if they had seen him.

8. Hatch

Hatch Well-Known Member

IMO he was taking in every supposedly sighting including the sandwich shop( I don’t think anyone saw her Saturday), all AM had to go by was the bombardment of info that was coming from BM and his associates. As a brother, AM was hanging on to everything he heard trying to piece a timeline together.IMHO

9. TIGER0822

TIGER0822 Well-Known Member

The length of the AA bothers me a bit. An experienced legal team would not include excessive information, which in this case appeared to have irritated the judge.

Flicka1, Sillybilly, Boxer and 7 others like this.
  10. Error505

Answering your post with a great post by @OldCop of a few days ago, which btw is worth rereading anyway.
    CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*
    And it goes like this⬇️
    “RSBM
    Because LE had been very patient up until the surprising arrest, I do believe they have a strong case. However, I also believe it was their intent to tighten a few more loose strings before proceeding. I’m sure they were also hoping to find SM’s remains.

I believe that they felt BM was getting ready to leave town, (perhaps the country), and so hurried their AA. Usually in a complex case, LE will keep an outline of facts and evidence in a bullet point type of list when they have developed a suspect and begin to plan out their arrest affidavit. They will refer to it and use it to fill in gaps, develop more information, and lay out evidence. In a normal course of investigation they will then use this outline to fine tune the final AA. I think that they may have used this preliminary list because time was of the essence. It probably did contain more information than they would normally submit, but they wanted to make sure there was enough there to obtain the arrest warrant before BM skipped town. MOO”

My 2 cents - That is great info from an experienced LE.
    Spezze and the DA were afraid BM was getting ready to leave the area, maybe the country. They hurriedly got the AA together before he skipped out on them. It may have more info than needed, it may contain some interviews that won’t be admissible, but they got their guy behind bars! I remember CM saying there was an LE moved in next door or across from BM watching him. Time was of the essence. I’m not worried about the AA or the length of it. The purpose was to issue a warrant and get him locked down. The prelim will get to the good info. MOO

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  11. Scootie98

Scootie98 Well-Known Member

so much here to chew on.....BM was a 'first responder"...in the event of an emergency....the first to respond are "first responders"....but not in this case....here, the first to respond are daughters and neighbors...not the police, not firefighter buddies...not "first responders". And that does not pass the eyeball test. If BM did not immediately contact LE after he received a phone call about his missing wife...that too doesn't ring true.

Rolo, TIGER0822, Chocoholic and 14 others like this.
  12. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

<modsnip Quoted post was removed>

We were all so anxiously awaiting the release of the AA for Patrick Frazee, and when it was...holy hell. I will never forget the moment I read it, it was unthinkable. We were devastated for poor Kelsey <Berreth>.

I think we'll see something similar here too. :(

Barry has been a very bad boy for a long time IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2021
    Melsworld, Rolo, TIGER0822 and 27 others like this.
  13. EggSalad

EggSalad Well-Known Member

So in order for the dates of “between May 9 and May 10” to be on that document, I wonder what evidence the state has for May 10?

They just have some gps data and hopefully video of BM driving around Saturday night into Sunday AM. If AM’s comments about no coolers being at the home, I wonder if we’ll see video of BM driving around with a cooler(s) in his truck Saturday night, then that cooler is gone of video of him driving to Broomfield that morning. MOO.

14. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 I will do it, but I won't like it

Interesting.

Also, to point, I saw just yesterday watching an ID channel show on demand.... that someone did a policy on someone for $1.7 million. They then realized they were at risk and wanted to cancel the policy as they were afraid for their life. The insurance company said we cannot cancel, premiums are being paid.

And yep, y'all know the Paul Harvey.... he was murdered........ by the beneficiary.

15. dixiegirl1035

I stated such due to "expectation" that this trial will be a loooooooooooooooong time from this date.

16. dixiegirl1035

I really wish there was a groundswell that changed the laws in many states to have live feeds available now post COVID. But there has to be a groundswell to change such laws... and perhaps one case in a state could have a champion to do such.

MOO

17. Error505

If the daughters had trouble reaching SM for several hours in the middle of the day on MD, I would think their first concerned “phone call” would be to their dad, not a neighbor. If I was unreachable by phone for several hours, I don’t think my family would be so alarmed they would be calling 911.

SM lived on 7+ beautiful acres in the mountains; she could have been hiking, looking at wild flowers, just exploring. A few hours of being unreachable by phone wouldn’t set off those alarm bells at my house. I wonder if the girls tried reaching their mom on Saturday, as well as Sunday? Now, if my girls tried reaching me for 2 days, yes, they would be very concerned and ready to call 911, but would still be contacting their dad first to see if he knew where I was. So, I’m curious when the girls first tried reaching their mom, and what made them so worried when not reaching her for several hours. And did they try reaching their dad first, if not why? We probably have gone over this previously, don’t mean to ramble. MOO

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Rolo, TIGER0822, AnnaGrace and 18 others like this.
  18. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

They must have a significant amount of GPS and cell phone data, beginning from the time he left the house Sunday morning, where he travelled, and how long he was in those areas, compared to his own account of his movements. Also any footage of his truck (traffic and store cams) and surveillance from the hotel. Hopefully they do have clear images of what was in the back of the truck. Maybe they found traces of blood as well.

There are probably witness statements by the three employees who went to Broomfield, the calls to Suzanne's phone, the daughters, the neighbor, and whoever else he spoke to on his way home.

But yes, to support the tampering charge, there has to be solid evidence that points to when, where and how he disposed of the body. We can only guess what that may be. I wonder if LE has a good idea of the general location of the body, but just haven't been able to find it yet.

Rolo, TIGER0822, susiQ and 15 others like this.
  19. FNG

FNG Here For Justice

I followed that case as well and it seemed to take forever for an arrest and then for details to be released. The entire time with this case, I've compared it in my mind to the Berreth case. Law enforcement's timely process seems very similar.

Rolo, TIGER0822, AnnaGrace and 14 others like this.
  20. Scootie98

Scootie98 Well-Known Member

this is why I am not so sure SM was offed on Saturday evening. BM has already proven he can pose as his wife... he did it on Facebook...and voted for her. The back and forth texting with the friend on Saturday is key. Were the texts brief during the day or lengthy and detailed before they stopped? If brief, Barry could easily have been posing as SM while developing his alibi timeline. If SM was already deceased when the texts started coming in...BM could have been surprised, then started responding to them to buy himself some time. So it depends on what the content of the texting was. I am sure those texts were reviewed...IOW, as I mentioned before...the deed could have been done Saturday am before BM went to the worksite. That would still fit the DA's timeline of "Saturday". I realize it is likely Saturday evening, but I still have my doubts that BM bought the chlorine before offing his wife. I think buying it was a reactionary move...not a planned one. Time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.