CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #64 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I think the idea that a previous poster had about a spy pen perhaps being suggested by a DV helper is a valid idea.
    (sorry, can't remember who said that as I have just read through pages and pages here .. thanks to all for the posts, much appreciated by those of us who could not listen)

From what I understand, DV helpers have a wide range of things that they suggest ... so that when a victim eventually goes to court they have evidence to back up their claims. Especially if no-one else had been witness to the DV.

Going to court for a restraining order, then perhaps a divorce, may have been on the cards.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Chocoholic, Rolo, elliefant and 34 others like this.

2. ar3593

ar3593 Well-Known Member

DBM

DeDee likes this.
  3. Puzzles8

Puzzles8 Exonerated Mountain Lion

Burner phone, purchased at the WalMart for cash.

A simple recording device is not a bad idea either.

ITA, SM was very smart. She might have even helped to solve her own murder!

ar3593, Chocoholic, Rolo and 31 others like this.
  4. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Kindness Matters

Wow. What a day for Suzanne & her family

Justice is coming, Barry.

5. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Thinking about this pen.

I don’t think this is something Suzanne would go out and buy herself, rather, I think this is something that someone would suggest she use, and perhaps supply her with.

I could see this coming from a member of her support group, or from a close friend with experience with this sort of thing (marital strife, abuse, divorce).

I just don’t think most people would think to do that in a similar situation, nor do I see her having this thing delivered to the house (defeats the purpose).

6. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

The problem with him is he often gives the wrong details. He’s a practicing attorney and clearly doesn’t have the time to keep up with the facts.

7. Lilypad13

Lilypad13 Well-Known Member

I haven’t been here for awhile (and I’ve really missed you guys!) but I had to check in after the hearing today and see what it was all about and ya’ll do not disappoint! Thank you to everyone who provided play by play during the hearing and all the summaries and discussions afterwards.

I’m absolutely gobsmacked by the “spy pen” bombshell! And the amount of evidence and witnesses! But if there is an actual recording(s) of Suzanne herself speaking with someone who will be an important witness in the trial then that is an incredible turn of events. What in the world was going on in that marriage?! Physical abuse, domestic violence, infidelity, financial control, illegal business dealings, fraud, drug and/or alcohol abuse?? Combo of any or all of these things?? :confused: Something very nefarious if Suzanne resorted to that and thank goodness she did! They don’t have her remains YET but at least there will be a “smoking pen”!! Go Suzanne, smart lady!! I think she was going to divorce Barry and she was planning her escape.

I’m a bit confused as to whether Suzanne used this hidden device to record evidence of Barry doing something wrong or illegal or was she documenting some kind of abuse to someone? A friend, counselor or pastor? Or did Barry get the pen to spy on Suzanne? I am leaning much more towards Suzanne getting the spy pen after reading many of your comments. I agree that if Barry had used the spy pen on Suzanne then he would have gotten rid of it. I mean he’s not the brightest but he still managed to get rid of her body so why not a little spy pen if he knew about it. What if he didn’t even find out about the spy pen recording until now?! Can you imagine his reaction? Oh man I bet he needed to change his underwear! If they even give you underwear in prison? :p

Once the defense hears the enhanced recording and sees all the evidence could they then request a plea deal or is it too late? It’s interesting that his lawyer wanted a sanction reducing the charge to 2nd degree murder. Oh and she also asked for bail! Shoot for the stars I guess, why not? :rolleyes:

It doesn’t sound like there was any mention of the AA today. But this trial is going to be epic! :D Justice has begun Suzanne and you will be speaking from the grave to help convict the man who brutally took your life and LIED to everyone including your daughters, the man who promised to love, honor & protect you. I’m so sorry it turned out this way. :(

8. SouthAussie

Suzanne may have even taken photos of any injuries that she had sustained from DV (if DV plays a part here, which I suspect it might).
    Bruises that no-one else could see, for example. Because injuries may have been caused in concealed areas of Suzanne's person.

Along with recordings on a spy pen, perhaps copies of threatening text messages.

Suzanne may have been accumulating what she needed to keep BM away from her, and proceed with a life of her own. She said she was scared.

ar3593, Chocoholic, Rolo and 20 others like this.
  9. NWLady

NWLady Well-Known Member

I've been in the camp from the beginning that BM dismembered SM, and it wouldn't surprise me what all else he may have done to her. IMO, he is hot-headed and loses his temper easily, mixed with a lot of anger and rage.

As the old saying goes...pick on somebody your own size. That, in and of itself, did it make him proud and boost his ego that he was able to over-power Suzanne and kill her? I'll answer that question myself...yes, I'm sure it did because that's the type of man he is. Well actually, I wouldn't even give him the respect to call him a man. I have lots of other things/names that I would like to call him, but I know I can't here of course. (Sigh)

ar3593, Chocoholic, Rolo and 20 others like this.
  10. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

We may find a package from Amazon delivered to puma path with the sender in Indiana - it’s something I would do and you can bet if there was a discussion vis text or email - LE knows it now
    JMO

ar3593, Chocoholic, Rolo and 28 others like this.
  11. "Smoking pen" - brilliant!

ar3593, Chocoholic, Rolo and 24 others like this.
  12. SouthAussie

Yes, it could have been sent quite surreptitiously. Classy looking (spy) pen with some pretty notepaper, as a gift.

13. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Are we ready to revisit the wood chipper ? I leave nothing past the husband at this point. Today’s revelations only strengthen my belief that she was a DV victim (ultimately) but what else was he doing to her? So much that the AA remains sealed to protect the daughters?
    JMO

ar3593, Chocoholic, Puzzles8 and 25 others like this.
  14. TKG

TKG Well-Known Member

RSBBM:
    Nice to see you LP! I've been thinking about this pen since I first heard it this morning at the hearing. Why would the defense team be so adamant about the "individual" if they found it to be of evidentiary value to the prosecution? Because they want to know what kind of Sh&t sandwich they are being served?? I'm not totally convinced I have a clear picture of this whole nugget, but we will soon.

GK is right, I don't think SM bought it herself. I think her BFF or possibly a confidant gave it to her as a way of documenting things she wanted to remain private until she was ready to share them. I felt that he defense was implying that SM recorded a conversation with "another man" and then listened to messages "the other man" left her and recorded them. The tone to me was accusatory toward SM not BM. As if to imply she was being surreptitious and unethical.

Anyone else have an idea or good frame of reference on this?

MOO IMO

ar3593, Puzzles8, Aloe and 15 others like this.
  15. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

Perhaps even as a party favor to a friend scheduled for a reading at your chid’s wedding? IMO

Rolo, Aloe, waldojabba and 13 others like this.
  16. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy&Gabby

Agree -- hope Scott attends the preliminary so we have both relevant and factual info delivered to us! :)

17. SouthAussie

My first instinct/thought was that Suzanne had a recorded conversation with this witness, perhaps saying "you saw what he did when he pushed me down on the ground, I am just asking you to be a witness for a restraining order". Or some other thing like that.

Because I got the sense that this witness was perhaps a 'hostile' or reluctant one. Probably wrong, but that is the initial impression that I got.

Rolo, 10ofRods, Kittybunny and 16 others like this.
  18. Diddian

Diddian Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2020, the CCSO put out a press release inviting anyone who may have been communicating privately with SM via social media to come forward and they emphasized that the person could do so confidentially. I wonder if the spy pen was in any way related to whoever that person might be.
    Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff

TheRaven, susiQ, ar3593 and 41 others like this.
  19. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

I did clearly hear that there was DNA testing done.

susiQ, Chocoholic, Rolo and 22 others like this.
  20. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I really prefer the scenario where Suzanne’s friend tells law enforcement about this. I absolutely think she would have at least told one person she was recording Barry.

Fortunately, we’ll know the answer to this, and a lot more, in a couple weeks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Sunny123, susiQ, ar3593 and 31 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.