CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katydid23

katydid23 On Time Out

I totally agree.
    And I believe he was ruining her relationship with her daughters as well. I think she tried to get them to work for their money and not expect to get things for nothing. And I think he insisted upon them all having Range Rovers and whatever they wanted. He probably told the girls it was all him---Their mom didn't want them to have these luxuries but he has their backs. JMO

2. Scootie98

Scootie98 Well-Known Member

I referred to "off the hook" meaning that she have been well paid...and won't have to defend him in court if he absconds. It was basically a cheap shot.....sorry for the confusion.

Aloe, jakat, dkryder and 4 others like this.
  3. Scootie98

Scootie98 Well-Known Member

Melinda also said that Barry was very dominant in the relationship. I am sure Suzanne was the one who approached her father on Barry's behalf for the money. Seems to me that Barry sort of made a habit out of having others do the dirty work for him...like having his daughter tell the family that Suzanne was missing...and having the neighbor call the police, having his daughter go outside the condo to confront LS, by sending MG on a wild goose chase in Broomfield just to be a stage prop ....and so on.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Lyanna, Aloe, ar3593 and 23 others like this.
  4. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Sure they might find a recording device on their own. I am not saying it's impossible, I am just trying to put pieces together. I am inferring from the fact that LE got warrants right away that they had inside information. From a distance, early on, this was a plausible missing person or lost person case. But- LE got warrants to search a house, an empty field, dig up the foundation for a house and others very quickly. You need some probable cause to show a judge. One logical way that happens is if someone on the inside told police right away that there was trouble in the relationship, a potential for violence, threats made, talk of divorce, affairs etc.. This person may have (pure speculation) provided the list of things to look for, including that they knew recordings were made and we communicate via chat on her Kindle...

What is pretty clear is that as soon as it became publicly known she was missing, LE already had evidence of something to show a judge.

Lyanna, MsBetsy, Aloe and 21 others like this.
  5. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Lyanna, MsBetsy, windrower and 39 others like this.
  6. Murphy1950

Murphy1950 Well-Known Member

Thanks MG ...as I have no idea what to expect. So as far as tweeting, people such as our gal Lauren, is that happening while the hearing is actually happening (?) or only on breaks???We may need a Websleuths decorum order :):):). Does one side go first ? For example the prosecution for the first few hours or is it a back and forth, he said... she said???

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  7. MassGuy

In the Frazee prelim, reporters were allowed to Tweet during the hearing itself (that wasn’t the case at trial though).

I don’t recall the defense calling witnesses in that one. The prosecution called theirs and the defense cross examined them if I recall.

8. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy&Gabby

Typically, reporters inside Colorado courts have to wait until court recess to release their tweets as they can't be "live" inside the courtroom.

I don't expect Judge Murphy to be very accommodating to our needs! He stated at the last hearing on July 22 that he controls WebEx for his courtroom (mutes/unmutes the lawyers), and he's the trier of fact. He also stated that it's distracting to him (WebEx), and he wants to remain focused when his court is in session.

Lyanna, windrower, Aloe and 21 others like this.
  9. Seattle1

That's right -- Sam was live tweeting:

News5’s Sam Kraemer is in court and is live tweeting updates from the courtroom. The court is not allowing video of the hearing, however, prosecutors are expected to hold a news conference afterward. That will be streamed at the top of this story.

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-...e-to-appear-in-court-for-preliminary-hearing/

10. Silver_produce0

Silver_produce0 Well-Known Member

RE: the spy pen, Is it possible that someone told law-enforcement that she was recording him, and law-enforcement found the recordings may be on a computer and could see in the metadata that the device was a spy pen? I feel like there should be information in the meta-data that tells you what your data is coming from.

Lyanna, Rolo, Chocoholic and 12 others like this.
  11. JosieMae

JosieMae Well-Known Member

Too bad Judge Murphy won't allow audio. Doing so would minimize the court's technical distractions while insuring the transparency of a public proceeding.

Will a transcript be available later?

Aloe, mom2chloe, marylamby and 11 others like this.
  12. Seattle1

We seldom see court transcripts on WS unless a major MSM network is generous to upload to doc share source. They are very expensive to purchase from the court reporter.

For Frazee's 8- hour preliminary hearing, KOAA also provided a "live blog" with all the tweets.

13. Momofthreeboys

Momofthreeboys Well-Known Member

I think if the search warrants get released as part of the preliminary those would be interesting. I'm very intrigued to find out how the prosecution weaves their story and what they include and what they exclude since there have been so, so much anecdotal chatter around this case that it's hard to determine what is relevant.

14. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I hope someone in the journalistic world is a stellar stenographer. I have a friend whose shorthand skills are absolutely amazing, whereas mine are only average (we grew up in a world where many girls got classes in shorthand - I must not have been paying attention, but I did pick up a few things).

I'm sure reporters have their own systems of transcribing what's going on (and really, there are so many "empty spaces" as people take the stand, get sworn, papers are shuffled, hopefully they can write some summaries of what they just heard - thing is, no one wants to get anything wrong, at all).

It's gonna be a doozy of a prelim. <modnsip - no link>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2021
    Chocoholic, crhedBngr, Aloe and 23 others like this.
  15. Love Never Fails

Love Never Fails Well-Known Member

@MassGuy, the first two dates of the preliminary are August 9-10? I’m excited. That’s wonderful. Was thinking it was around the 30th.

marylamby, al66pine, Flicka1 and 8 others like this.
  16. MassGuy

Yup. August 9th, 10th, then a two week gap, followed by the last two dates on the 23rd and 24th.

17. jakat

jakat Well-Known Member

I grew up in that world, too. Shorthand was an easy class, but I didn't exactly excel at it, I was average. I've used it for many years, never forgot the strokes. It's transcribing what I've written which is the hardest part for me. o_O

Like you, I hope there is someone in the courthouse who knows shorthand and can report on what's happening.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2021
  18. Seattle1

Referencing KOAA's "Live Blog" produced for Frazee's 8-hour preliminary hearing, I found the timestamps most helpful.

It can really be difficult to identify Tweets to the actual witness -- especially if a witness is cross-examined. (I'm recalling Frazee's AA about 35 pages).

And I can already see a nightmare tracking Tweets for BM's multiday preliminary hearing (and 130+ page AA)!

If anybody is in contact with LS, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to send her the following link together with a friendly suggestion on how Fox21 might consider following KOAA's lead and produce a similar Live Blog for BM's preliminary hearing. Because it ROCKS with viewers!!

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-...e-to-appear-in-court-for-preliminary-hearing/

Sam Kraemer (former KOAA) spoiled us rotten...
    Not only would he sit through 8-hours of the Frazee trial and Tweet, but he'd also go back to his hotel and do a FB live-- just to fill in the gaps of all the happenings in court going on in between his Tweets!

19. MassGuy

That’s what’s so frustrating here. In the Berreth case, there was no shortage of reporters covering it from the beginning. I think in large part to the geography here (it’s a long way for the news organizations to travel), we haven’t been nearly as fortunate.

Even with all those reporters covering that one, Sam set himself apart in a major way. Talk about going above and beyond.

Lauren has done a fantastic job here, especially considering the fact that other stations can’t even be bothered to make similar attempts at news gathering.

That live blog was a tremendous asset, as it gave us something to refer to for months. I’d love to see something similar here.

I just wish Lauren had some competition, as the more the merrier.

20. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

I have a question, not sure if anyone knows the answer.

When they say 'live' tweeting, do they mean instantaneous (as in, no pause, so you get to see the live content)?

I know that over here, the journos can often tweet 'live' but that consists of them having to wait about 15 mins after that piece of testimony to make sure the judge doesn't suppress it.
    Occassionally they slip up and tweet when they think they can, then the judge suppresses later and they have to go back and delete the relevant tweet(s).

marylamby, Cindizzi, al66pine and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.