Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, presumably there is evidence. I did not say it doesn't exist, I said we don't have it. People hear what they want to hear and read what they want to read and there is EVIDENCE of that just in the responses to my post. IMO

Well, isn’t that why we are all here? To hear and read and interpret into our own opinions, and respond accordingly.

Perhaps I’m missing your point.

In April, when the FBI confronted BM with the fact that it was illegal to submit a ballot for his missing wife, BM said, "I didn't know you couldn't do that for your spouse."

I've been ruminating on that comment ever since. Reluctantly, I came to believe the comment reflects a value system that may be culturally supported in America, even in the time of #MeToo. MOO, it makes it easier to believe BM felt he was entitled to take SM's life because she was planning to leave him.

Across cultures, "uxorixide" (wife- or girlfriend-murder) long has been culturally supported and remains so in culturally conservative countries.

Vestiges of cultural support for the treatment of women as the property of their husbands can be found in the history of the English common law of "coverture", under which a married woman was considered to have merged with her husband and was subject to his protection and control - to the extent she had no legal right to act independently. It hasn't been that long since the practice was largely abolished in English-speaking countries. California finally abolished it by common law in 1954 (Follansbee v Benzenburg).

In fact, there are common law cases holding that a husband's marital rights included the right to beat his wife, including an American case that post-dates the Civil War.

"Wife beating is acknowledged in Blackstone's 'Commentaries,' and many court rulings sanctioned the practice.

(Perhaps) the earliest... (legal) reference to wife beating is the 17th century, when one Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, an Irish judge, held that a man who had beaten his wife "with such a switch as the one he held in his hand" was within his matrimonial privilege.

In the 18th century a judge named Francis Buller, dubbed "Judge Thumb" by the famous caricaturist James Gillray, was said to have allowed that a man could beat his wife, as long as the punitive stick was no thicker than his thumb. (A witty countess was said to have asked the judge to measure her husband's thumb exactly, so that she might know the precise extent of his privilege.)

..."Three 19th-century cases in America... mention the "rule of thumb," including an 1868 ruling in North Carolina that 'the defendant had a right to whip his wife with a switch no larger than his thumb.'" Misunderstood "Rule of Thumb"...

Back to the present day, we have seen the growth online of a terrorist "male supremacist ecosystem" that includes "incels" - a radicalized subculture of advocates for harassment of - and violence against - women. These men commonly feel entitled to sex and believe women have too much power.

In this context, I have been speculating (MOO) that BM had a sense of sexual entitlement, and a kind of "married male privilege" to act on his wife's behalf, that is supported by some influential elements of our current culture.

Yeah it could be all of that. Or he’s just a dumba$$ who wanted another vote cast for his favorite candidate.

We’re all acutely aware we don’t know the evidence, which is why we are looking forward to this preliminary hearing so much.

Furthermore, and maybe more importantly, there is clear evidence and probable cause for an M1 charge and a variety of others. Not releasing that information to the public so it can be argued relentlessly is in the interest of justice, a fair trial and for the integrity of the case
Our justice system is not perfect but arresting someone is not done on a hunch or a feeling. It is done when the DA has enough evidence to bring the case to trial.

I'm not writing anything new to you @MassGuy. Because it hasn't been shared doesn't mean it's non existent.

That is analogous to saying if you never tell anyone you're pregnant, you're not. It's non sensical.

Well, isn’t that why we are all here? To hear and read and interpret into our own opinions, and respond accordingly.

Perhaps I’m missing your point.

Assuming you're genuinely asking, my answer is that I think we've gone beyond the point of reason. Assumptions and opinions are stacked upon other assumptions and opinions, many of which were bad and/or biased in the first place.

Its one thing to opine upon some basic questions. Where did the missing person go? What could have happened to him/her? That is, to me, why we are here.

However, don't you have to stop with the assumptions and opinions while you're still in close approximation to the actual facts? I can't think of a better way to say it but, for anyone familiar with a normal distribution, all those assumptions and opinions mean we are several standard deviations from the mean ("mean" in this case being the known facts of the case). Certainly that is an imperfect analogy but maybe it makes sense to some. Anyway, if you keep stacking all those assumptions and opinions on top of each other all you've created is a whole tale of poorly constructed fiction.

Why the heck are there discussions about BLM's tan and teeth and having peanut butter while grilling? I can only surmise its plain and simple bias against him. People are just trying to be mean for the heck of it. What does that stuff have to do with the case?

Why would anyone here say mean or disparaging comments about BLM's attorneys? How is that relevant?

When members are openly declaring that they are 100% sure BLM is guilty and could never defend him or sit on the jury because of that belief, despite the lack of evidence available to us, haven't we gone too far?

I want to remind folks that for all the 65 threads on the case, for all the hatred and accusations thrown around here as fact, for all the hearsay in the media (mainstream and social), for all the terrible evidence we are likely to learn in the next month(s), as of right now there are precious few actual facts available to us. I implore the WS community to get back to the reason why we are here in the first place which is actually trying to help and learn and share. There is a lot of talk on WS about the forum being better than others. Let's be better.

That's my point.

IMO

Last edited:
<modsnip> I thought it would be helpful to note some of the evidence we do, or do not, have at this point.

Zero evidence that SM is dead.
Zero evidence that SM was harmed on Mother's Day 2020.
Zero evidence that SM was EVER harmed by BLM.
Zero evidence of domestic violence.
Zero evidence of marriage infidelity.
Zero evidence that either BLM or SM was planning to exit the marriage.
Zero evidence of controlling behavior.
Zero evidence SM was afraid of BLM or anyone else.
Zero evidence of spying by BLM.
Zero evidence of greedy behavior by BLM or SM.
Zero evidence or money problems in the marriage.
Two daughters who are presumably among those who know BLM the best and who appear to be standing by him.

Just something to think about.

I am thinking (MOO)....
that based on everything I have seen of BM and read about BM since May 2020 that BM is
An Arrogant Abuser,
A Bad-tempered Bully,
A Contemptible Conman,
A Despicable Dolt,
An Exaggerator,
A Fraudster,
A Gaslighter,
A Harmful Hypocrite,
An Ignorant, Ill-tempered Idiot,
A Jerk,
A King ( in his own mind, only),
A Liar,
A Manipulative, MURDERING Monster,
A Nasty Nincompoop,
An Obstinate Offender,
A Perpetrator,
Quite full of himself,
A Repulsive
Shifty, Self-absorbed Sociopathic, Sinister Scoundrel
A Terrifying, Tyrannical ,
Unfaithful and Unscrupulous,
Vicious,
A Whiner with a warped mind
XXL ego,
Yellow-bellied with
ZERO conscience

MOO

Justice is around the next bend, SM.

My opinion only

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you're genuinely asking, my answer is that I think we've gone beyond the point of reason. Assumptions and opinions are stacked upon other assumptions and opinions, many of which were bad and/or biased in the first place.

Its one thing to opine upon some basic questions. Where did the missing person go? What could have happened to him/her? That is, to me, why we are here.

However, don't you have to stop with the assumptions and opinions while you're still in close approximation to the actual facts? I can't think of a better way to say it but, for anyone familiar with a normal distribution, all those assumptions and opinions mean we are several standard deviations from the mean ("mean" in this case being the known facts of the case). Certainly that is an imperfect analogy but maybe it makes sense to some. Anyway, if you keep stacking all those assumptions and opinions on top of each other all you've created is a whole tale of poorly constructed fiction.

Why the heck are there discussions about BLM's tan and teeth and having peanut butter while grilling? I can only surmise its plain and simple bias against him. People are just trying to be mean for the heck of it. What does that stuff have to do with the case?

Why would anyone here say mean or disparaging comments about BLM's attorneys? How is that relevant?

When members are openly declaring that they are 100% sure BLM is guilty and could never defend him or sit on the jury because of that belief, despite the lack of evidence available to us, haven't we gone too far?

I want to remind folks that for all the 65 threads on the case, for all the hatred and accusations thrown around here as fact, for all the hearsay in the media (mainstream and social), for all the terrible evidence we are likely to learn in the next month(s), as of right now there are precious few actual facts (available to us). I implore the WS community to get back to the reason why we are here in the first place which is actually trying to help and learn and share. There is a lot of talk on WS about the forum being better than others. Let's be better.

That's my point.

IMO

Yes, it was genuine, and you have provided a thoughtful and honest response, which I appreciate. I’m as guilty as anyone here of poking fun at the “Barr”, and I won’t apologize for it. When there’s a lull in the case (as there is now while we await the hearing), it passes time, keeps conversation alive, and I hope somehow Barry reads it and it pisses him off. I am here to learn and share, but also to have some levity. These cases can be hard to take, emotionally and mentally, and some humor lightens things up a bit. I also don’t have an open mind about his guilt. I believe he’s guilty and that justice will be served.

We don’t have that evidence yet, but law enforcement surely does. That’s what matters at this point, although we won’t have to wait long.

If there was no evidence Suzanne is dead, Barry murdered her, and he did so on or around Mother’s Day, then the judge would not have signed that arrest warrant.

As for the greed, infidelity, deceit, control; Melinda surely had some things to say about that. I have no reason to believe she was lying.

*spelling*
MOO the judge would never sign off on a arrest warrant with no evidence.

I think we are all here to input good discussion which is merely only speculation until we do have the preliminary. I don’t believe that’s done with malice intent or to misconstrue facts. He’s lucky he has a good defense because in my opinion he’s gonna need it

.... I don’t believe that’s done with malice intent or to misconstrue facts. He’s lucky he has a good defense because in my opinion he’s gonna need it
@Whitneyh sbm Good defense? Yes, gonna need it.

But I doubt that even a brilliant, first class, top notch, A-1, major league defense team will do him good on ultimate issues--- good defenses in the legal sense, of NG verdicts on these charges.
my2ct.

Last edited:

I want to remind folks that for all the 65 threads on the case, for all the hatred and accusations thrown around here as fact, for all the hearsay in the media (mainstream and social), for all the terrible evidence we are likely to learn in the next month(s), as of right now there are precious few actual facts available to us. I implore the WS community to get back to the reason why we are here in the first place which is actually trying to help and learn and share. There is a lot of talk on WS about the forum being better than others. Let's be better.

That's my point.

IMO
I hear you.
But a lot of us have the capacity to put the victim, alleged, Suzanne first and we get to now our victims very very well insofar as that is possible.
And that relationship with the victim starts in a void, a woman is missing. The void moves into hope nad excitement and intense searching and we hope nad many of us expect that she will be found and that everything will be okay. But she is not found and the stakes get higher and other searches get planned and each of those brings hope too. And she is still not found and we enter the bargaining stage- perhaps she ran away to start a new and wonderful life in a new country and that in time we will all know her new life is great and we'll wish her bon Voyage. That doesn't pan out for the reasons it doesn't. And we face despair. She may be dead. And not of her own volition. She is dead because somebody took her life. As the reality of that sinks in, the rage starts to emerge.. And that stage can last a very long time because it is without catharsis or justice. Invariably a suspect emerges or several. And they have faces and then names but no catharsis or no justice and the rage becomes outrage.

Eventually a suspect gets arrested and we have a focus, it's confirmed now, the person we thought committed this heinous crime is finally being charged and we our rage steps down a notch in that our need for justice appears to become 'salved'. But with that comes the awful realisation of the depth of the depravity that brought about the death of our friend, the victim.

Then comes the trial and only then does an opportunity to release grief emerge for some among us. We're not a homogeneous group of people and we all process everything via our individual filters and mechanisms, not bias.

That's just my personal experience of sailing these stormy seas, too many times.

It's a process that evolves as a result of a profound and awful action taken by a stranger- a rape of innocence.
A beautiful and gentle soul and spirit had her life ripped out of her by somebody she trusted.

I don't personally have much faith in justice for murder victims. The most I can hope for from myself is a release of a spirit I carry on behalf of the victim.
I doubt if the victim gets anything at all from the entire process, even successful prosecutions.

Suzanne Morphew should be alive today.
And to hell with he who took that from her.
Because the one cannot be separated from the other.

It’s okay if people believe Barry is innocent. It’s okay if people believe Barry is guilty. After all, WS posters didn’t charge Barry with crimes. Our respective opinions don’t affect a legal punishment.

Claiming moral victory because there is a distaste for speculation is in itself a judgement.

I hear you.
But a lot of us have the capacity to put the victim, alleged, Suzanne first and we get to now our victims very very well insofar as that is possible.
And that relationship with the victim starts in a void, a woman is missing. The void moves into hope nad excitement and intense searching and we hope nad many of us expect that she will be found and that everything will be okay. But she is not found and the stakes get higher and other searches get planned and each of those brings hope too. And she is still not found and we enter the bargaining stage- perhaps she ran away to start a new and wonderful life in a new country and that in time we will all know her new life is great and we'll wish her bon Voyage. That doesn't pan out for the reasons it doesn't. And we face despair. She may be dead. And not of her own volition. She is dead because somebody took her life. As the reality of that sinks in, the rage starts to emerge.. And that stage can last a very long time because it is without catharsis or justice. Invariably a suspect emerges or several. And they have faces and then names but no catharsis or no justice and the rage becomes outrage.

Eventually a suspect gets arrested and we have a focus, it's confirmed now, the person we thought committed this heinous crime is finally being charged and we our rage steps down a notch in that our need for justice appears to become 'salved'. But with that comes the awful realisation of the depth of the depravity that brought about the death of our friend, the victim.

Then comes the trial and only then does an opportunity to release grief emerge for some among us. We're not a homogeneous group of people and we all process everything via our individual filters and mechanisms, not bias.

That's just my personal experience of sailing these stormy seas, too many times.

It's a process that evolves as a result of a profound and awful action taken by a stranger- a rape of innocence.
A beautiful and gentle soul and spirit had her life ripped out of her by somebody she trusted.

I don't personally have much faith in justice for murder victims. The most I can hope for from myself is a release of a spirit I carry on behalf of the victim.
I doubt if the victim gets anything at all from the entire process, even successful prosecutions.

AMEN.

Its difficult to even speculate. Looking at Suzanne's situation....her entire fortune was invested in Barry's vision for the future.....all of it. Her inheritance was not only sizable materially.....but the emotional attachment of her legacy must have been enormous, and Barry took that too. Likewise, Barry was disassembling Suzanne's relationship with her family, and had been for several years. IOW....Suzanne's identity was purged, imo. She was chattel. If Barry had designs on life without Suzanne...and was developing a new life and identity for himself.....liquidation was just down the road...and Suzanne may have figured that out, somehow. This guy stripped his wife of her identity....that was made clear when he alienated her and her daughters from her father, and likely her mother before that....not to mention Melinda and Andy. Suzanne was surely aware of this cruel, heartless and calculating behavior. At what point did it ignite an escape plan? While the marriage was deteriorating...Barry was removing Suzanne from her natural family, at the same time.
This is such a thoughtful, sensitive comment that I had to pause before I could respond.
And, it's exactly how I view Suzanne's painful struggle. She had to leave her dream of 'forever after' behind and face the ugly truth. It's not easy to come to that realization and sometimes takes many years. When it all came crashing in, she found her inner strength to love herself more, but it was too late.
I hope he's utterly miserable behind bars. It really isn't enough. He still thinks he has a fighting chance.
He has hope for a life. He took hers away.
Justice can't come soon enough.

Agree with all you said. We can address that post line by line, after the hearings conclude :)
I think we'll find Barry wasn't as smart as he thought he was.
Fortunately....we don't have training programs for "how to commit the perfect murder"......Barry did what all murderers do....he took his chances....and they were nowhere near as close to perfect as he thought they were. IMO.

That's my point.

IMO
<modsnip> Some of the talk about BM's teeth had to do with physical upgrades, and yes, speculation about why he would do that. And that isn't entirely irrelevant. The bit about grilling is also not totally irrelevant. Peanut butter aside....people, like me, genuinely believe that while BM was grilling at home...the reason his wife wasn't there to share the meal is because he killed her and hid her body. That pisses people off. Yes, we have emotions. And we are spectators....nothing more. We won't be on the jury, nor will we influence that jury, judge or witnesses. We all have a bias, to some degree....even that judge, who seems to be biased in favor of BM's daughters, noble as it may be. I am quite confident that as this case moves into the preliminary phase...then the actual trial....you will hear absolutely nothing about peanut butter or teeth. And you will hear plenty of discussion about evidence presented, witness statements and attorney maneuvers on both sides. Be patient with us....the case will take us where we need to go..

I am thinking (MOO)....
that based on everything I have seen of BM and read about BM since May 2020 that BM is
An Arrogant Abuser,
A Bad-tempered Bully,
A Contemptible Conman,
A Despicable Dolt,
An Exaggerator,
A Fraudster,
A Gaslighter,
A Harmful Hypocrite,
An Ignorant, Ill-tempered Idiot,
A Jerk,
A King ( in his own mind, only),
A Liar,
A Manipulative, MURDERING Monster,
A Nasty Nincompoop,
An Obstinate Offender,
A Perpetrator,
Quite full of himself,
A Repulsive
Shifty, Self-absorbed Sociopathic, Sinister Scoundrel
A Terrifying, Tyrannical ****,
Unfaithful and Unscrupulous,
Vicious,
A Whiner with a warped mind
XXL ego,
Yellow-bellied with
ZERO conscience

MOO

Justice is around the next bend, SM.

My opinion only
^^^^ X’s 1000. Thank you. Wholeheartedly Agree!

I hear you.

Very eloquently stated @kittythehare Thank you!

Suzanne’s BFF ended her 50th birthday video with the words
“This is not the end, but the beginning of “the enduring.”
Enduring life without SM ever being a part of it again.
Thank you for your very eloquent post. Justice For Suzanne.

<modsnip> I thought it would be helpful to note some of the evidence we do, or do not, have at this point.

Two daughters who are presumably among those who know BLM the best and who appear to be standing by him.

DA Stanley, CBI, FBI, and Chaffee County Sheriff and a judge believe they have all the evidence needed to keep the greedy, pushup contestant in his concrete condo for the rest of his life and then some. I’m actually hoping for a Life WO Parole + 56 years at least! MOO

“We” never have the evidence. We just have opinions. But we are sure that the investigators have all they need. Come back in a few weeks, after the AA is released and let’s talk about all of that evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member