Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was my understanding that Suzanne didn't work outside the home, or perhaps landscaping business' books. So can someone here help me understand what "business" would be "good" for Suzanne if she left BM, and why would she be taking a business trip to Michigan (even if it was a ruse to meet up with JL, it appears Suzanne regarded this as business, or JL had some information about it being a business trip and also a hook-up).

@LaurenScharfTV

"On MAY 8, a note in #SuzanneMorphew was a list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave the marriage. Ex. A lot of Women on FB, and said it was good for business"

12:45 PM · Aug 10, 2021·Twitter Web App

"Another recording, 5 hours long of Suzanne speaking with Jeff Libler. Trip to Michigan on a business trip. This was important because FBI needed to find out who this Jeff guy was. He lives in Michigan."

10:40 AM · Aug 9, 2021·Twitter Web App

I believe LS tweet was taken out of context here where LS omitted a few too many words!

In the 50 reasons tweet, the example referring to FB, LS omitted the part where SM complained that BM had several women on his FB which BM defended by saying it was good for [his] business. Also in the '50 reasons,' SM complained that BM did not wear his wedding ring. (This info from Scott Reisch / Crime Talk recap of Day 2).

MOO

So the Salida hometown newspaper is the Mountain Mail and they were the first to be granted a seat in the courtroom. I expected to encounter a paywall, but didn’t when I went to check out their reporting.

First of all, THIS :

Suzanne grew up in Indiana and she and her family moved to Salida in 2008.

What?

And second of all, did any other reporter say THIS about JL ? :

Barry had not known about the affair. However, Harris said that in questioning Libler, Liler said if Barry had any idea he (Libler) and Suzanne were together Barry would have talked to him first and he didn’t think Barry had anything to do with her disappearance.

Preliminary trial reveals Suzanne had an affair

We know the date is wrong for the move to Salida.

I don't remember anything like that being relayed about Libler, either. I could have missed it, but I think I would remember that as a significant detail.

Wow, that is some very bad reporting, imo.

I also wondered about ketamine. Also, I remembered about a young man in CO who died in 2019 after first responders gave him ketamine. Sad story.

I’ve wondered, too, why a dart with tranquilizer. Surely BM could’ve just gotten ahold of some type of medication and “spiked” her food or drink one day if he wanted to? I do remember he is anti-meds/drugs but one would think that if he’s ok with murder he’s ok with bending his own rules :rolleyes:

Just thinking out loud here.

Any food-borne tranquilizer would take forever to work. And none of them would produce complete unconsciousness easily - that's why oral meds aren't used for anesthesia.

If Barry used a dose meant for an adult deer, Suzanne would have been incapacited (down on the ground) pretty quickly - as in less than a minute, IMO, and then unconscious.

Barry also didn't want any stomach contents analyzed, if she was in fact found during this crime. With each passing day, after she disappeared, any evidence of the dart prick would be vanishing (by one month it would certainly be gone). At this point in time, I doubt there would be any evidence of the ketamine (or whatever it was). If it had been given orally, traces would last longer (concentrated in the stomach cavity area).

I highly doubt it was ketamine. I would guess he had tranquilizers left form his deer farm in Indiana...you don't want coyotes or any other prey animals eating your deer. Also not uncommon I don't think in bear country.

As far as wedding rings the can be very dangerous if you engage in work with your hands or machinery. Some of the "younger" guys have gone to silicone rings that will rip off rather than rip your finger off. My husband has never worn a wedding ring....common gripe with some women as I've heard it....because they think it makes there husband seem "available."

So I remember talk of some sort of deer farm that Barry either owned or associated with back in Indiana.

I imagine this is how he may have been able to obtain the tranquilizer.

How much does a female deer weigh? Maybe 100 pounds? A buck? Maybe 250? How long could a person shot with a tranquilizer dart be able to move around, perhaps running, before the drug overcame them.

Even if BM only shot SM once with a dart it's unlikely she just remained on the lounge chair. She probably jumped up and tried to evade him. He probably laughed at her because all he had to do was wait for the drug to do its thing. Who knows where she ended up. Could have been outside or even in the house.

Ketamine is a date rape drug because it can keep the victim conscious while their limbs are paralyzed. They know what is happening to them when it takes effect but are powerless to stop it.

There are other date rape drugs out there that act as powerful tranquilizers but most are either illegal to use in the US or they are difficult to access. BM probably already had access to Ketamine, either through a business or his fire fighting duties.

The use of the dart is probably why there is no evidence of blood or cadaverine at the home.

I believe LS tweet was taken out of context here where LS omitted a few too many words!

In the 50 reasons tweet, the example referring to FB, LS omitted the part where SM complained that BM had several women on his FB which BM defended by saying it was good for [his] business. Also in the '50 reasons,' SM complained that BM did not wear his wedding ring. (This info from Scott Reisch / Crime Talk recap of Day 2).

MOO
She must have been completely worn down with his run on excus-aramas.

And COD would not implicate him, unless the tranquilizer dart substance would remain in the system long after death. Hmmm.

Yes! I forgot to add that thought! Make that a win-win-win for Barry. :) He might have been thinking if she were ever found that it still wouldn't tie to him because of COD if he did that. And he did make sure he mentioned her looking drunk and got it out there that she was taking painkillers and he didn't like it. That whole 50 reasons to leave Barry list also concerns me. Why would she put that about him accusing her of having a boyfriend on that list when she actually had one?? And the hydro one? It's just odd to me. Did Barry find and edit her list and throw those in there? It just seems like Suzanne would have known how to spell hydrocodone and spelled out the whole word and maybe Barry would have had to abbreviate it. MOO Just something that bothered me....but as Massguy has pointed out- after Barry arrived home on Saturday, May 9th Suzanne was gone. There is only one explanation for that.

So the Salida hometown newspaper is the Mountain Mail and they were the first to be granted a seat in the courtroom. I expected to encounter a paywall, but didn’t when I went to check out their reporting.

First of all, THIS :

Suzanne grew up in Indiana and she and her family moved to Salida in 2008.

What?

And second of all, did any other reporter say THIS about JL ? :

Barry had not known about the affair. However, Harris said that in questioning Libler, Liler said if Barry had any idea he (Libler) and Suzanne were together Barry would have talked to him first and he didn’t think Barry had anything to do with her disappearance.

Preliminary trial reveals Suzanne had an affair

But did JL really say that he didn’t think BM had anything to do with it ? I don’t recall hearing that. But haven’t had a lot of sleep this week lol .

MOO

Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

·
Aug 9
Replying to
@AshleyKKTV
Defense says JL did not think BM knew that SM was seeing JL. JL told investigators that he believes BM would've come after him if that were the case.
@KKTV11News

edited to initials

This is what I believe JL said - the "hometown" reporter has missed some important facts. is there a bias?

On another note - @OldCop and I are re-visiting the timeline with particular attention to the May 9 and 10 dates and will post it once we cross reference the tweets that are in disagreement.

I don’t post often but I do read mostly everything. I wanted to point something out that hasn’t been considered here very much. During the prelim, the defense gets its first taste of the prosecution’s theory and evidence for their case. We all know this. But also, consider that the prosecution is also getting their first taste of the defense and their theory, methods (cellbrite?), evidence etc. this is important info for the prosecution! The more leeway the judge gives them, the more independent evidence they produce, etc, the better prepared for trial the prosecution will be. Since it seems pretty clear there is certainly enough evidence to bind him over for a trial, I think the rest of the prelim we should all be hoping to see a robust and elaborate defense. It will prepare the prosecutors for the trial, and not give any real benefit to the defense other than temporary publicity.

Barry Morphew repeatedly threw away trash on day wife disappeared

Barry Morphew left his family’s home near the mountain community of Maysville to travel to Broomfield for a landscaping job early on the morning of May 10, he said. Once there, he stopped at trash cans next to a bus stop, near his hotel, at a McDonald’s and near a Men’s Warehouse store in the morning, Grusing said. In the afternoon, Morphew placed a full trash bag, a tree planter and a camouflage jacket in a trash bin near the hotel, he said.

Someone used Morphew’s truck at 3:25 a.m. on May 10 and, about 30 minutes later, the truck appeared to be in the area where Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle was later found off a county road, Grusing said. However, the data is inconclusive because of the poor cellphone service in the area, he said.

The last ping from Suzanne Morphew’s phone was at 4:23 a.m., Grusing said. Morphew’s phone and her body have not been found despite extensive searches.

This! This is what I was thinking! I don't think he killed her at the house either and maybe he didn't actually kill her elsewhere. Wouldn't it be more fun for a sadist like him to dump her down a mine and let her suffer? Then if she were found, he could say she must have wandered off after that bike accident in a confused state (didn't he suggest that as a possible scenario?) and somehow fell down in the mine. That would be a win-win for Barry. That would leave no trace of a cadaver at the house and really punish Suzanne. And dumping her down a mine shaft wouldn't require any extra digging or work or time.
He could have drug her at lunch, left for a little and then snuck back up catching her talking to JL, started chasing her around the house with the dart gun. Then took her to die somewhere else like you said. I think I recall reading yesterday of him complaining about some of the meds she was taking. Maybe he was drugging her with her own medication. That way if it showed up in her system, he could say it was prescribed to her and she was abusing it. Just my thoughts.

How much does a female deer weigh? Maybe 100 pounds? A buck? Maybe 250? How long could a person shot with a tranquilizer dart be able to move around, perhaps running, before the drug overcame them.

Even if BM only shot SM once with a dart it's unlikely she just remained on the lounge chair. She probably jumped up and tried to evade him. He probably laughed at her because all he had to do was wait for the drug to do its thing. Who knows where she ended up. Could have been outside or even in the house.

Ketamine is a date rape drug because it can keep the victim conscious while their limbs are paralyzed. They know what is happening to them when it takes effect but are powerless to stop it.

There are other date rape drugs out there that act as powerful tranquilizers but most are either illegal to use in the US or they are difficult to access. BM probably already had access to Ketamine, either through a business or his fire fighting duties.

The use of the dart is probably why there is no evidence of blood or cadaverine at the home.
SM was what, 115 pounds? Seems to me a deer sized dose would be more than enough. Her immune system may also have been not at 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member