Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree that Barry was familiar with tranquiler darts from his own deer farm in Indiana. I assume we will all find out shortly where the darts came from-they could have been from a previous stash he had when they still lived in Indiana, or from his buddy there who also had a deer farm. If he didn’t have any darts on hand, he may have pilfered them from the fire station.

The puzzle piece this morning is where Suzanne was sunbathing. It is likely that she was not on the patio near the hot tub, if she was on a chaise lounge. The lounge chairs were in a different spot. If he darted her there, and she tried to run, it looks like she would be on dirt and there would be some disturbance to the ground as she tried to flee. If she was incapacitated immediately, he would have had to pick her up and carry her to wherever his plans took him. That spot is a lot closer to the garage.

MOO The 2nd search warrant served (60 days after reported missing) on Puma Path home by LE was an excellent opportunity to “reenact” movements by BM according to cell phone records LE probably had by the 2nd warrant. I think we’ll find out more in just a couple of days. LE has their own idea of how it all happened. MOO

““On July 9, 2020, local, state, and federal investigators returned to search the Morphew property west of Salida to once again search the area for any additional information related to Ms. Morphew’s disappearance,” the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release Thursday.”
DEVELOPING: Investigators return to search home of Suzanne Morphew, 2 months after Colorado mom vanished on Mother’s Day weekend
EBM
to include link to article

Last edited:
That is not substantiated. It was an idea (that he was chasing Suzanne around the house with a tranquilizer dart gun) one of the investigators put forth in the preliminary based on their interpretation of some ping data. But defense pointed out that the data might be flawed and implied he was running around at 35 mph to generate the results the way interpreted. I think alot of testimony if needed will be devoted to cell phone analysis.
It's based on a little bit more than interpretation of ping data though. Suzanne wasn't heard from again after this and her phone was receiving messages she didn't respond to. Barry's truck door remained open from the minute he arrived home, he put his phone into airplane mode 3 minutes later, for the next 7+ hours, and he confirmed he was moving around outside the house shooting.

That is not substantiated. It was an idea (that he was chasing Suzanne around the house with a tranquilizer dart gun) one of the investigators put forth in the preliminary based on their interpretation of some ping data. But defense pointed out that the data might be flawed and implied he was running around at 35 mph to generate the results the way interpreted. I think alot of testimony if needed will be devoted to cell phone analysis.

Sincere question, do you think a career FBI investigator would lie or misrepresent facts as LE has presented them in a preliminary hearing on such a high profile case as this? IIRC defense was using a different software regarding interpretation of the cell phone tracking than was used by the LE investigators in this case. Was that a little trick by defense to confuse those listening to the testimony of Grusing? I’m really interested in the facts of this case, not fancy defense tactics, moo.

It's based on a little bit more than interpretation of ping data though. Suzanne wasn't heard from again after this and her phone was receiving messages she didn't respond to. Barry's truck door remained open from the minute he arrived home, he put his phone into airplane mode 3 minutes later, for the next 7+ hours, and he confirmed he was moving around outside the house shooting.
Exactly. From the horse's mouth no less.

MOO JL was worried he might become a suspect in SM’s disappearance. That’s one of his first questions to FBI when they finally found out who he was.
“Nielsen says Jeff never came forward to law enforcement until they reached out to him 6 months after #SuzanneMorphew went missing. She says Jeff asked FBI if he was a target of the investigation, they allegedly told him "no" and that they would "protect him"
https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424766614180827137?s=21
This is one more reason that I believe that surveillance of BM was regular, if not constant...from very early on. jmo.

she stopped responding to messages at the same location and approximate time that Barry arrived at....which was the home. Her phone goes dark while his goes to airplane mode...doesn't pass the smell test, imo.

Sincere question, do you think a career FBI investigator would lie or misrepresent facts as LE has presented them in a preliminary hearing on such a high profile case as this? IIRC defense was using a different software regarding interpretation of the cell phone tracking than was used by the LE investigators in this case. Was that a little trick by defense to confuse those listening to the testimony of Grusing? I’m really interested in the facts of this case, not fancy defense tactics, moo.

I think it is highly plausible that the investigator was not entirely familiar with cell pings investigation. I am assuming that experts will be used if it is going to be used at trial. This has nothing to do with defense tactics other than defense rightfully pointing out a secondary interpretation which is what happens at this stage in a trial. While you were out there was some discussion about the accuracy of ping locations... it's an art and a science in my opinion best left to experts which it will be if it becomes important to the trial...and I definitely think it will as a huge piece of the prosecutors case sounds like it will hinge on movement evidenced by GPS and Cell.

I hope that LE had the foresight to clear the gravel from the driveway and use a GPR unit to scan into the substraite for disturbances. That's how Castro DiNardo and Sean Kratz disposed of four bodies in 2017.

IMO Barry created the suddenly urgent wall job because he wanted those 3 people to be out of the way and thus unavailable when LE started investigating Suzanne's disappearance. He wanted the tools he left at the hotel to have as many fingerprints on them as possible to muddy the chain of custody in case they were taken into evidence. Did he ask JP to join the crew because JP knew that he had changed out the blade on Bob on Saturday or was it because they bear a resemblance to one another and he thought he might be able to use that to his benefit? Wasn't me putting stuff in the dumpster, lots of guys look like me....

I hope that LE had the foresight to clear the gravel from the driveway and use a GPR unit to scan into the substraite for disturbances. That's how Castro DiNardo and Sean Kratz disposed of four bodies in 2017.
So much gravel and boulders at PP-and a bobcat. I watched the Cosmo DiNardo dig live as the local news sites had helicopters overhead the whole day.I was sitting at work glued to the feed looking at the oil tank.

IMO Barry created the suddenly urgent wall job because he wanted those 3 people to be out of the way and thus unavailable when LE started investigating Suzanne's disappearance. He wanted the tools he left at the hotel to have as many fingerprints on them as possible to muddy the chain of custody in case they were taken into evidence. Did he ask JP to join the crew because JP knew that he had changed out the blade on Bob on Saturday or was it because they bear a resemblance to one another and he thought he might be able to use that to his benefit? Wasn't me putting stuff in the dumpster, lots of guys look like me....
JP is an interesting piece. When did Barry instruct Morgan to request JP? Did Barry need someone to take over his HIE room, muddying the waters? Was he in planning mode and saw JP at DSI and added him to the mix? When JP went to the HIE express, had the room been changed to his name, was a key left for him at the desk? Exactly how did he take over Barry’s room, or was Barry in Jeff’s room?

IMO Barry got the drop on Suzanne and she didn't see it coming. He is a total STALKER! His "surprise" appearance when Suzanne was with her friends in FL, sneaking up on her and SO at his own house and that is just the stuff we know about. What a weirdo.
It's all pretty strange. I think it's pretty weird Suzanne was spying on Barry. Their marriage was clearly on the rocks when you both start spying on each other and lose all trust in each other. Such a sad, sad situation.

Good point.
This is also sad.
SM has no idea how JL has been since she disappeared.
I was hoping someone would get clever and map the movement of the sun on 5/9!! Nice work, 24Brix. Like I said before, direct Colorado sun is glorious, a sunbather's dream. Until it's blocked.

Perhaps Barry DID see Suzanne sunbathing (possibly on the smaller patio) and taking selfies -- by trail cam. But by 2:44 Suzanne had relocated, lying on a bed, wrapped for warmth.

Perhaps he felt compelled to remind her that she was his.

Hunter, possessor.

JMO
Yes, I am not sure if they shared the same bedroom still? But MM's bedding had been stripped off the bed and is missing.
I'm sure they had an argumentative, tumultuous day. Based on the contents of some of SM's text, I would not had
slept in his bed that night. I think she slept in her Daughters room that night. We have not heard IIRC anything
about what her phone was up to that day. AP mode? Cell phone pings? GPS receiver data. Got to wait a few more days . IMO

BBM

I'd fogotten about that! Maybe that ties into BM's many changes of shirts.

Yes! Totally agree with this and that may help explain all the wardrobe changes as well. If BM paid any attention to the Dulos case he would know that Fotis was ID'd by his neighbors video cam wearing the same Tshirt he was seem wearing during his trash dump. Barry figured he would be smarter, JMO.

I think it is highly plausible that the investigator was not entirely familiar with cell pings investigation. I am assuming that experts will be used if it is going to be used at trial. This has nothing to do with defense tactics other than defense rightfully pointing out a secondary interpretation which is what happens at this stage in a trial. While you were out there was some discussion about the accuracy of ping locations... it's an art and a science in my opinion best left to experts which it will be if it becomes important to the trial...and I definitely think it will as a huge piece of the prosecutors case sounds like it will hinge on movement evidenced by GPS and Cell.
Your previous statement in original post baffles me. Moving on! Moo

I'd like to add my own question about their finances: why the heck put all your cash into a huge house when you might be short of cash to live on? Couldn't they get a mortgage, 20% down and the cash in the bank for living expenses? In fact, with just the two of them, why buy a huge house at all? Surely there were other fine houses for a lot less money, and still decent SF.
Some people are overly concerned with appearances, and a large home can be very important. Not saying the M’s were but to some the large home would be important.

I occasionally work as a respite caregiver in an area of huge estate homes. The smallest homes have 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, and are at minimum 6,000 square feet. The largest are twice as big.

Nearly all the homes are occupied by couples, a few are single residents.

Last edited:
Some people are overly concerned with appearances, and a large home can be very important. Not saying the M’s were but to some the large home would be important.

I occasionally work as a respite caregiver in an area of huge estate homes. The smallest homes have 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, and are at minimum 6,000 square feet. The largest are twice as big.

Nearly all the homes are occupied by couples, a few are single residents.
Yes their Indiana home was in the range of 6,000 square feet if I recall. They downsized in Colorado to 3200 square feet but not alittle ranch house by any imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23