CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoSI

NoSI Verified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/RXN

Thank you so much for this updated timeline @oviedo and @OldCop! This is super helpful! Thank you very much.

2. A2FMNST

A2FMNST Well-Known Member

AFTER the May 6 message, “I’m done”…..

FRIDAY “Hey honey, wanna go see where my work site is and I’ll give you a “tour””?

She declines a “tour” of the construction site and decides to meet in a public place for pizza instead.

SATURDAY “Wanna go for a hike?” Calls 11 times.

When he realized he had created a digital record of luring her on a hike he had to revert to plan “C” that night?

Is that timing correct???

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  3. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO the thing about the FB friend requests is that the people in Indiana who received them know when the requests came in, so that is first hand knowledge for AM.
    He still might be relaying it wrongly, but it seems unikely.

The Saturday sandwich shop sighting was something else, it was said by someone in CO.

4. Janeumayer

Janeumayer Well-Known Member

BM texting SM to come “tour” the site must be the real reason CBI cut through the concrete slabs and sifted through the dirt.

Reading through these, he was trying to lure her…

He must have been desperate by Saturday afternoon, he needed to finish the job by the time the girls came back from their trip.

5. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

Tomorrow will have us biting nails and tapping keyboards again. My anxiety level the last time was through the roof.

May justice be served for Suzanne. I honestly believe there is already enough to bind him over to trial, and hopefully the Prosecution can get a word in edgewise this time around. :D

6. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Witness. Hostile?
    @girlhasnoname Thanks for your post. sbm for focus. After SM’s disappeared iirc, BM stayed at GD’s home, so seems they’re friends. Iirc GD is a Vol.FF like BM, and GD’s business – elec? plumbing? or ? – may offer some backscratching opportunities w BM's landscaping business. I do not know of other social or business ties btwn them. Anyone recall?

State calling GD as a witness? Yes, permissible.
    Would GD be treated as a hostile witness? From CO Rules of Evd.* below, I’m not sure. Does a person’s friendship w a crim defendant compel the ct to rule him a hostile witness, allowing prosecutor to ask leading questions in direct examination?** Ct makes ruling on case by case basis, iiuc. Is friendship sufficient?
    Would there be any other advantage to prosecutor, aside from being allowed to ask leading questions?
    Welcoming comments on this issue, esp’ly from our legal professionals. TiA. My2ct.
    (c) Leading questions. Leading questions should not be used on the direct examination of a witness except as may be necessary to develop his testimony. Leading questions should be permitted on cross-examination. When a party calls a hostile witness, an adverse party, or a witness identified with an adverse party, interrogation may be by leading questions."
    bbm
    ^ Rule 611 - Mode and Order of Interrogation and Presentation, Colo. R. Evid. 611 | Casetext Search + Citator

** By calling a witness to the stand, in direct examination of that witness, the prosecutor is typically prohibited from asking leading questions. But in cross examining him, def atty is permitted to pose leading questions.
    If the court rules a witness (e.g., GD) to be a ‘hostile witness’, then during direct examination prosecutor would the advantage of posing leading questions.

7. steeltowngirl

steeltowngirl Well-Known Member

8. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

Hi al66pine. I was making that statement wondering if GD was still good friends/supporter of BM or not and if the State had any reason to call him.

IDK what that relationship might be now that some evidence has come forward.

9. Murphy1950

Murphy1950 Well-Known Member

RSBM..

Jane, I echo your accolades to @NoSI @OldCop and @oviedo . We are all grateful! Jane worded it beautifully. And thanks to those who helped edit!

Barry Froze. He realized he couldn't go there verbally, this makes sense. Great thinking.

As to GD....my thoughts from the get go were GD and TN were used.

“My buddy was there right after that, and he said that they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t listen to him and said, ‘this is not CSI,’” Morphew told Fox 21 News. Note Barry doesn't put himself there with George, when he clearly was. Sounds like more Barry BS to me. I can't find this quoted by George but I could be wrong. I think GD and TN were sincerely on board with Barry initially to help and realized they were being used pretty early on.
    GD has too much going for him, as does TN... a life, a career, and a family...don't see them throwing that away for Barry. Is there anything out there to suggest they are close and remained close. I remember Barry telling Lauren GD wouldn't meet her but he definitely did. Other neighbors helped out putting up searchers besides GD.

Mystery rider...no idea where or if they fit in. I am not surprised about the car doors, seems he had lot to load, makes sense to me.

10. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Yes, it would be very silly for him to use a burner for that.

If he is going to impersonate someone online, or spoof his wife's FB, then he should use it. Or, if he is communicating with someone else's burner, as you know, is recommended by recent online literature on how to hide oneself online. IMO.

I don't think he had a burner, per se. I think it was another phone, but not a burner - just something he could reasonably hide from one person (Suzanne).

11. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

The defense:
    Multiply confusion
    Dominate time
    Scatter theories
    Floozify the victim

Judge bringing out the chess clock on days 3 and 4.
    MOO prosecution owed 1.5 more hours than D to make up for D overun on days 1 and 2.

12. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Its amazing he had to be asked to stop touching the bike.

BM later spins the incident so that HE asked them to be more careful of evidence and that the police said
    "this isn't CSI."

13. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

It’s that second phone …. I can’t wait until Monday - just wish I could watch and hear Live!!

brissygirl2019, jakat, susiQ and 19 others like this.
  14. Janeumayer

Janeumayer Well-Known Member

Here’s Lauren Scharf’s YT Video featuring her interview with GD:

Of Note: At around 3:30 minute mark, there’s a screen shot of Suzanne’s post riding her bike. In it, she tags her bike as a #santacruz superlight brand bike:
    “Maiden voyage tonight on the superlight! #santacruz #shavanowilderness”

Mount Shavano Trail

Bike Archive: Superlight | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    [​IMG]

15. BuckeyeGal

BuckeyeGal Well-Known Member

MOO

I think she replied "Where?" in response to his hike text. I believe she then texted BM an hour later asking him about if he wanted to hike and he said no, he was coming home. Hard to say if he had actually planned something nefarious on a "hike." If so, why did he turn her down when she asked later?

It is hard for me to make sense of SM wanting to go anywhere with BM after telling him 3 days earlier that she was done with the marriage. Maybe she wanted to go hike and thought it would be safer to go with BM instead of by herself?

16. Cindizzi

Cindizzi Well-Known Member

Trying to piece something together here ( and I’m probably crazy lol). Could SM have been looking to buy a house for herself and stay in the area until youngest daughter was out of school? After telling BM on 5/6 that she was done and wanted to do it civilly. Sometimes once you’ve decided to do something and see a way out you can let your guard down so maybe she told him her plans.

Or he found out.

In late April SM opened a “secret “ bank account with Green Dot and a fund management account with Compass.
    There is a Compass in Greenwood Village (suburb of Denver) that deals with property management.

Home - Compass Management

Texts go on to say that #SuzanneMorphew morning before she went missing-- she allegedly messages Jeff Libler telling him she had a fine night and looked at houses for sale. She follows that with "Still talk about Arizona." @KKTV11News
    https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1425123807417802752?s=21

#BarryMorphew returned back to the hotel with a large notebook with papers that are messy. Then left the hotel 20 minutes later with the notebook in hand with papers neat in hand. He also has changed shirts into a grey t-shirt.
    https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425150297198977035?s=21

JP says that in the hotel room he found one piece of mail with BM’s name on it under some balled up brochures for Salida real estate. At 27:00

17. notbornyesterday

notbornyesterday Well-Known Member

BM was always supposed to be working but where was he when the wall was screwed up the first time? And why wasn't he planning to stay and make sure it was fixed right in May 2020? It sounded like he had no intention of being there to make sure it was done right. Just because he claimed he was always working and Suzanne and other people thought he was- doesn't mean he really was working all the time. He didn't punch a clock or answer to a boss and he sure liked to use airplane mode. He could have done anything he wanted to and said he was off being a "workaholic". He could have been off living this "secret life" that Suzanne texted to SO about twice. God only knows what that involved. MOO

18. Bailey38

Bailey38 Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe he put the girls and their boyfriend's on the payroll? IMO, some parents do that, not so sure about the loan though.

19. Error505

Error505 Well-Known Member

Amazing work @OldCop @oviedo Great notes @NoSI. can’t wait until Monday/Tuesday.

20. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

I think she’s suspected something was up and replied “Where?” instead of outright saying no. When she texted him later to ask if he still wanted go on a hike, I think that she just wanted to see what he would say. I don’t believe that she would have agreed to hike with him. She was afraid of him. She didn’t trust him. MOO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.