CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Don’t forget, we still have this “short rifle” charge, which has not been touched upon yet. I find the date to be incredibly interesting, as the charge concluded on March 4, which coincided with the sale of the house.

It doesn’t have to tie in to the murder itself, but it might, and it could be a very important piece of this puzzle.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy&Gabby

@OldCop, @oviedo - From NoSi's notes, I think we have another timestamp from the state's witness:

8:45 pm BM arrives home, ask LE if bike was found.

ETU BM and GD at scene where bike found. LE asks them not to touch bike.

ETU BM and GD start walking away. LE calls BM back. Tells him he has more questions for him.

Monday 5/11/21

1:21 am BM calls SM, no answer

1:06 AM: BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”.

3. Murphy1950

Murphy1950 Well-Known Member

Interesting, At the 3:30 mark that you pointed out Jane the screen shot is stamped 0430 her birthday and she says it's the Maiden trip. Was this a gift from Barry? Curious why a bike shop appt within 10 days? Looks like one of the most high end brands out there.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  4. Cindizzi

Cindizzi Well-Known Member

This interview was in October 2020 leading up to the election. Both candidates were asked this question about cold cases in Fremont County. The 11th Judicial District has 4 counties. A cold case is one where there are absolutely no leads and no tips to continue investigating. This does not apply to SM’s case as it is still ongoing to this day and no where in the interview do they reference SM’s case. LE stated on the day of arrest May 5 2021 that the investigation is still ongoing.
    Respectfully just saying that you can’t cherry pick that one line and say that DA Stanley feels that way about all cases.
    Here is her full quote:

As I have stated previously in other publications, sometimes there may not be any other leads to follow up on. If that is the case, there needs to be a decision between the District Attorney’s office, law enforcement, and the victim(s) about going forward with possible charges. If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.

JMO/MOO

5. MyJoey

MyJoey Verified Family ~ Joseph “Joey” Ressler III

Was there ever mention of any life insurance?

6. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Funds Raised. Who, How Used? Admissible?
    @Synergizer Bunny sbm for focus. Wonder if we'll see & hear at trial:
    1. Who initiated the campaign? Who was original beneficiary, orig. organizer?
    2. Who were others later designated as ^. Why any change?
    3. Whose bank account the funds were transferred to, etc.
    4. How was donated $ used? Any documentation?
    At trial, will state have Go $ Me corporate records of campaign's history?

I'm curious about answers, but if BM did not have a hand in ^actions, how is G$M relevant?
    Of these events after SM's death/disappearance, what if anything is admissible re crim chgs?

Did BM's stmts about G$M contradict stmts he made to LE or others, which are admissible? If so, then his G$M stmts may be admissible as to his credibility (er, lack of credibility;)). my2ct.
    Welcoming comment esp'ly from our legal professionals.

7. Seattle1

^^rsbm

Compass Mngt is the name of a group "money fund" per MSM linked earlier.
    SM did not want to leave Salida per JL - he stated he wanted to help SM get out on her own but this meant staying close to her daughters. On May 9 - per @NoSI's revised notes for day 2 prelim, SM did tell BM about a house for sale in Salida:

9:33 AM: SM told BM about a house on “King Gulch Trail” that came or is on the market in Salida.

8. gliving

gliving Woof

LE also has a Amazon Kindle as evidence. I had no idea of it's vast storage. It keeps track of every page turn. Albeit it also has an airplane mode option.

'They know us better than we know ourselves': how Amazon tracked my last two years of reading

"When I requested my personal information from Amazon this month under California’s new privacy law, I received mostly what I expected: my order history, shipping information and customer support chat logs.

But tucked into the dozens of files were also two Excel spreadsheets, more than 20,000 lines each, with titles, time stamps and actions detailing my reading habits on the Kindle app on my iPhone.

I now know that on 15 February 2019 starting at 4.37pm, I read The Deeper the Water the Uglier the Fish – a dark novel by Katya Apekina – for 20 minutes and 30 seconds. On 5 January 2019 starting at 6.27pm, I read the apocalypse-thriller Severance by Ling Ma for 31 minutes and 40 seconds. Starting at 2.12pm on 3 November 2018, I read mermaid romance tale The Pisces by Melissa Broder for 20 minutes and 24 seconds."

[​IMG]

And Amazon knows more than just what books I’ve read and when – it also knows which parts of them I liked the most. On 21 May 2019 I highlighted an excerpt from the third installment of the diary of Anaïs Nin, the data shows, and on 23 August 2018 at 11.25 pm, I highlighted an excerpt from Leslie Jamison’s The Recovering: Intoxication and its Aftermath. On 27 August 2018, I changed the color of a highlighted portion of that same book."

Much more at link.

9. Janeumayer

Janeumayer Well-Known Member

Maybe he kept it hidden by the river????

10. rainbowshummingbird

rainbowshummingbird Well-Known Member

Suzanne had had two bouts with lymphoma, the first as a very young adult. I think life insurance on her wouldn’t be lucrative but we haven’t heard any evidence about it.

11. Janeumayer

@Cindizzi, I was quoting someone else. Then found out the DA was replying to a cold case question and realized the OP had not included the entire quote. Here’s the OP:

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

“^RSBM

I keep reminding myself of DA Linda Stanley’s comments on taking cases to trial (from a Q&A as she was seeking re-election.)

If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.

Q&A with District Attorney candidates Linda Stanley, Kaitlin Turner – Canon City Daily Record

12. Momofthreeboys

Momofthreeboys Well-Known Member

since prosecution has already said the river house search turned up nothing I can’t imagine they will bring it up again as it has no value to their case and bringing it up opens it up to defense.

13. Janeumayer

No, but there must have been one.

14. Momofthreeboys

I wonder if finances will even come up since they started with Suzanne’s affair. They need to use their precious time getting to forensic evidence and the timeline vis digital data that connects to Barry imo.

brissygirl2019, jakat, tmar and 3 others like this.
  15. Bluebythec

Bluebythec Well-Known Member

I just read about a case where in the midst of a contentious divorce and child custody dispute a wife bought a burner phone for the hitman she hired. He then used it to text the husband, claiming to be a PI , that he had dirt on the wife that would help him win his case. They were able to track the number of the burner phone back to it's purchase and had the wife on the store's security camera purchasing the phone! (Diana Lovejoy case)

16. Momofthreeboys

Right now it isn’t our eyes that are important it rests on the strength of the prosecution to convince the judge there is teeny tiny faith that what they have supports all the charges they brought, it tips in their favor by law but ultimately it is the judge for the preliminary.

al66pine likes this.
  17. Cindizzi

Cindizzi Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Sorry if I came off as critical, didn’t mean to.
    I think we’re all pretty nervous of how this is going to play out in court ( although the evidence seems very strong to me that the State has more than enough probable cause).
    MOO

18. Momofthreeboys

The judge has stated both sides will have equal time. Between Monday and Tuesday prosecution has earned over an hour from last week.

brissygirl2019, Dre, al66pine and 2 others like this.
  19. Janeumayer

No worries, I understand. I think we all are very nervous. We still have two more PH days and the AA. Jury selection will be of utmost importance.

20. Seattle1

Thanks for your reply @LandManatee. My position remains that there's been no evidence presented thus far from the state or by Barry's defense that BM/SM had a 'pretty extensive argument' on Friday, May 8.

In other words, just because Chris/ TIR and/or his wife make an allegation on YT does not make it true. IMO, comments by YT bloggers should be viewed as their opinion and/or speculation by the hosts.

The following was reported, under oath, specifically by LE:

When [CCSO Commander] Walker talked with Barry the following day — May 11 — Barry said the couple had just had a great day and evening on May 9. He called Suzanne “his angel” since they were 17 years old and said they “love each other to death.” He called the relationship “very good.” They had been together 32 years.

ETA: add link
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...rs-confirm-suzanne-was-having-a-2-year-affair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.