Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my phone is on Airplane mode (which it is, almost all the time), it still has wifi. It still has GPS. And when my phone has no cellular, it still has GPS whether on airplane mode or not. This is true of my current iPhone and it was true of my last one as well.

There would be no way to use wifi on an airplane if it were true that it didn't allow wifi. And there would be no way for me to use maps when I'm in the mountains if it didn't use GPS separately.

GPS is completely separate from Airplane Mode and is not turned off by Airplane Mode. There are two other settings (maybe three) that you have to use to turn off GPS availability, and even then, it's not clear that the little blue dot on Google maps won't keep moving (a bit less smoothly) with those switches turned on.

There have been several cases here in California where phones that were on Airplane Mode and had location services off...still had Google tracking them as they committed crimes and that has led to bodies.

What exactly are people thinking that LE showed about Barry's movements around the backyard if he had it on airplane mode? The phone doesn't look like it went inside the house (much)...or we haven't been shown that if it did. So maybe Barry left his phone in one place once he was done shooting chipmunks.

ETA: Just put my phone in Airplane mode. I am still hooked up by bluetooth to my headphones, I still have wifi. Google maps is still accurately placing me. FindMyPhone still works (I could disable that separately) and the only thing that isn't working is...cellular.
Thank you so much and also @Diddian . So, what point were the prosecution trying to make with the airplane mode?

BBM
Wouldn't they have been able to get her cell phone records by now? We know they have her pings - interesting they did not elaborate on the location of her cell phone other than the selfie she sent during these same hours that his cell phone was in airplane mode unless I missed a tweet? They spent alot of time on his phone though.
IMO
Barry Morphew preliminary hearing: Investigator confirms Suzanne was having a 2-year affair
Walker said the last activity on Suzanne’s phone was from 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020. Her phone pinged from a cell tower in Poncha Springs, which is about 10 miles east of Maysville.

Since PP is a dead zone for cellular service, I believe the communication is in the form of internet data (wifi calling and messaging) and SM's cellular phone records are pretty sparse. For example, I think Verizon records will show cellular calls and towers used to make those calls but I think any information about her internet wifi data service by her carrier will be limited, MOO

Definitely possible! My line of thinking is that he was at the precipice of bringing his plan to fruition, so if there were cameras at this position, he would be turning them off or taking them down.[/QUOTE]

EBM and unintentionally deleted the post to which I replied. Now I have given up!

Last edited:
aaa
When my phone is on Airplane mode (which it is, almost all the time), it still has wifi. It still has GPS. And when my phone has no cellular, it still has GPS whether on airplane mode or not. This is true of my current iPhone and it was true of my last one as well.

There would be no way to use wifi on an airplane if it were true that it didn't allow wifi. And there would be no way for me to use maps when I'm in the mountains if it didn't use GPS separately.

GPS is completely separate from Airplane Mode and is not turned off by Airplane Mode. There are two other settings (maybe three) that you have to use to turn off GPS availability, and even then, it's not clear that the little blue dot on Google maps won't keep moving (a bit less smoothly) with those switches turned on.

There have been several cases here in California where phones that were on Airplane Mode and had location services off...still had Google tracking them as they committed crimes and that has led to bodies.

What exactly are people thinking that LE showed about Barry's movements around the backyard if he had it on airplane mode? The phone doesn't look like it went inside the house (much)...or we haven't been shown that if it did. So maybe Barry left his phone in one place once he was done shooting chipmunks.

ETA: Just put my phone in Airplane mode. I am still hooked up by bluetooth to my headphones, I still have wifi. Google maps is still accurately placing me. FindMyPhone still works (I could disable that separately) and the only thing that isn't working is...cellular.
Thank you for sharing what you experience on your own iPhones.

According to Apple, the default for Airplane Mode disables WiFi and Bluetooth; however a phone’s user can turn WiFi and Bluetooth back ON when in Airplane Mode and the phone will remember that and leave those settings ON while in Airplane Mode from then on. If the user subsequently turns them OFF when in Airplane Mode, the phone will then remember that.

Do you think you might have, the first time you used Airplane Mode on each of those two iPhones, switched those functions back on?

Regardless, if what I am reading from Apple has written is true and most current, it seems most relevant what BM’s customary settings were.

I edited my last post to clarify that Suzanne not having one (or access to one) was troubling. This opinion is due to other likely controlling behavior over her. I didn't mean that people generally not using one are weird and troubling. My apologies for poor word choice.
Eh I am weird and troubling so no problem lol.

I am so curious about how their marriage worked-maybe she did put everything on credit cards. She went on a lot of solo trips, and she helped Barry with the business billing. She had great clothes, evidenced by socmedia photos. I do wonder if something changed when they moved to Colorado. I think she had a lot of support and an active social life in Indiana, and much may have changed when she found herself secluded at Puma Path. She had to see new doctors, make new friends, new church, no family close by (even Barry’s family, which was her own for so long). Children had their own lives, Barry always working, another round of cancer. And a husband that thought antidepressants, prescribed pain meds and IPAs were hard drug and alcohol abuse.

I'm guessing by allowing her to have Credit cards, he was also monitoring each transaction on line. He monitored everything about her.
Yep - I have a credit card that sends me a notification every time it is used- will be interesting to see the internet related evidence at trial but then again, I expected to see more evidence in Mollie's trial than we did so who knows?
JMO

So I actually don’t think the round even factors in. If Suzanne was going for a gun in the bedroom, I’d expect it to be loaded. I’d also expect it to be a different caliber from the 22.

I do believe the 22 (chipmunk gun), is the short rifle. Agent Grusing mentioned Barry handing it though his car window in March, which explains the end date for the short rifle charge.

They likely didn’t know about the bathing suit until much later, so it wouldn’t have been taken into evidence at the time. The defense mentioned there being no blood on it, so it must have been taken into evidence after that photo was discovered.
What about the theory that the round was Suzanne’s? Maybe Barry darted her, she ran to the bedroom and locked the door to try to protect herself. Perhaps she knew there was a gun and some rounds kept in the bedroom. She was trying to load the gun at which time Barry bust through the door or she dropped the round because she fell unconscious before she able to successfully load it.
A dart shot from a .22 uses a blank. Possible a live round already chambered would need to be taken out.

Thank you so much and also @Diddian . So, what point were the prosecution trying to make with the airplane mode?

This is so odd to me. I also have an iPhone. I get very poor service inside the building of my job. So many of us put our phone in “airplane mode” so it doesn’t drain the battery continuously searching for signal. I always thought it turned WiFi and Cell data “off”. I also just tested that now and when I toggle Airplane Mode to active - it immediately toggles my WiFi setting below it to “Off”. Anything I try to use (browser, app requiring network) I cannot.

I then specifically went to toggle WiFi on, and was able to do so while in airplane mode. Whenever I’ve put it in airplane I have no intention of using it at all so I’ve never realized that you could use WiFi still. I’d guess if BM was using the mode in a nefarious intention he too was thinking it turned off everything. Moo

my understanding is a proof evident/presumption great hearing means prosecution has to prove via evidence that murder 1 happened. that's different than probable cause for obtaining an AA. since i'm assuming both the prosecution and defense know what's in AA and supporting evidence i would expect the prosecution to use the most damning evidence during the hearing. if that is in fact what they have presented during this 4 day hearing then either something got lost in the reporters tweets to those not viewing the hearing or i'm not comprehending totally what the prosecutions game plan was. i'd guess the defense would argue that the prosecution did not meet the bar required no matter what the prosecution laid out so the fact they made that point does not mean much to me. and i'm satisfied the judge did the proper thing in reserving judgement until next month. MOO.

Regarding the chlorine smell in the room, and the statement that it was from the pool.

I just read Colorado Covid timeline and came to the conclusion that the state responded fast. Schools were closed on March 16, ski resorts and gyms, in March. Given this, I seriously doubt that the swimming pool in Broomfield, CO, stayed open in May as it would be a violation of Covid policies given that the gyms were closed at that time. If the hotel closed the pool, though, and pumped out the water, the smell of chlorine for 4 months in a room below would indicate serious violation of building codes, or leaks.

I believe the poster who reported no noticeable smell from their pool. The hotel's conflicting information ("we don't use chlorine" vs. "those rooms were over the pool which explains the smell") is concerning. But mainly I wanted to point out that in spring 2020 no one knew how long the covid pandemic would last. Everyone was hoping it would go away quickly (which of course it would have if everyone stayed home for a month but I digress). So I suspect the hotel would have closed the pool to guest access, but not necessarily drained the pool until they realized it would be a longterm issue. MOO

Exactly!

Regarding Suzanne's bike, she had new tires installed on Thursday according to the local bike shop manager. His DNA will certainly be on there.

A salesperson who sold the bike, or former owner if it was used, would have DNA on parts of the bike. Maybe someone had put air in her tires for her at one point?

It means nothing, IMO. Suzanne never went on a bike ride Sunday, she was dead.

ETA: MOO

Agree. But I wish we could resolve the conflicting information about whether this blue found bike was SM's actual usual bike or the supposed parts bike (which bike were the new tires installed on? and where is the other bike?)

Also, was SM's DNA found on the blue bike?

I don’t think the sheets have anything to do with her murder at this point. Just the other things that were tossed in to dry with them later.
RSBM

I agree the sheets might not be relevant, but on the other hand they might, regardless of where SM was in the home when BM did his thing. My theory is that the sheets were handy somehow -- either in the waiting laundry or freshly out and awaiting being put back on the bed -- and they may have been used to move/carry SM -- either within the house or to some other bag or cooler or tree container or whatever she was transported in.

All MOO of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member