Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on who SMs phone called in the AM hours ? Was it a bump call? Did some one pickup at the other end? Was BM playing trying to get in her phone and accidentally called someone? I imagine she had a passcode on her phone. That will be interesting to find out also.

Maybe he called MG to ask to borrow her truck. Didn't want that call on his own phone data...

MOO wild speculation only...

Any thoughts on who SMs phone called in the AM hours ? Was it a bump call? Did some one pickup at the other end? Was BM playing trying to get in her phone and accidentally called someone? I imagine she had a passcode on her phone. That will be interesting to find out also.
Verizon had no record of phone calls during those times, so it was theorized that the report showed app notifications, or something to that effect.

That’s what the defense has been good at. They ignored the Verizon records, and focused on this CAST report that mentioned those events. Smart, but misleading.

12:02 a.m. and 12:17 a.m. incoming/outgoing calls the morning of May 10, 2020 on #SuzanneMorphew phone. Agent Grusing said according to Verizon there were no calls or text messages during this time. The LAST REGISTERED CALL from Suzanne phone was on May 9 in the afternoon.

Nothingburger.

Last edited:
Here you go:

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV

Libler didn’t believe that Barry Morphew knew about him. "If he knew about me, he would have came after me. I just don’t think he knew that Suzanne and I were together."

3:44 PM · Aug 9, 2021
Thank you. In the other link it says "Barry would have talked to me" and that he didn't think he had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance.

So I guess he did say two different things at different times. Either that or the first article misquoted him.

Can you say why you think the volunteer FF was a *huge* time commitment? I am a member of a volunteer fire brigade (have never been called out, thankfully). I put in about 12 hours a year. The town I grew up in had only 4 full time firefighters, and 200 volunteers. My uncles were both volunteers. One spent about 10 hours a year actually doing anything fire-related, the other only went to the barbecues and organized their float in the town parade.

I say this because I have a good friend who is chief of a fire academy and a colleague who is the chief of the only other fire academy in Southern California. The second group trains "volunteers" for wildfire certification (it costs about $500 to attend and they only take 20 people per year - it's an investment of about 80 hours - I am watching friends on the waitlist for that training for more than 4 years).

In other words, I'd say spending money for a real wildland fire training certificate (which is gained mostly by people who are seeking full time fire employment but are currently volunteers) is evidence of a moderate investment of time. 80 hours is two weeks of work. I've spent that much time training (per year) in forensics until I got old enough to semi-retire. My younger colleagues easily do that much - on their own time - just in hopes of publishing or getting tenure.

And I'll finish by saying that most of the people I know who are volunteer FF (or SARS) spend about 12-30 hours a week - documented - but we don't have that for Barry at all. Who has he searched for? Where is the documentation of any time spent other than training in 2016 and 2018 (summer volunteer training - we don't know how many hours. Was it like my training? Was it like the training of my colleagues who are now one level higher than I am? My initial training was 20 hours - I don't consider that major at all).

I spent way more time on WS (I realize I"m about a decade older than Barry, but still). I've looked into the volunteer fire training for Chaffee County and also into the various trainings at the Chaffee County"wildland" fire camp - and it looks like a fun weekend with barbecues, friendship, and learning to use a chain saw or other equipment (we had chain saws at my training too - and hoses, and search and rescue). They don't even have a rappel station or a wildland fire structure to train with. They do have a wood chipper.

Scroll down on this document for their curriculum:

https://www.chaffeecountyfire.org/s..._volunteer_information_packet_winter_2018.pdf

I've done all of that curriculum in my training (there are job related reasons why I did it, btw - but I didn't get paid to do it). I was not especially good at it - but neither were a lot of other people. I've actually done extra training in medical and community relations, as well as communications (I was named the Communications Officer for our practice runs). We didn't do river training, as there are no rivers in SoCal at this point in time, but we did do Earthquakes and Bombs.

From what I can tell, to get tthrough Chaffee volunteer FF, you need to put in about 4 hours a week (we put in 8 hours a week in my program, for 6 weeks) for 13 weeks. We did our oral interviews in advance and had to do CPR separately. I will admit I only watched during vehicle extraction - but that was true of nearly all of us.

My point is that being a volunteer FF is a wonderful way to serve one's community and my certificate is proudly displayed on my wall. I am envious of those who went on to further levels of training, but still, here I am, able to show my credential to a real, certified, salaried FF if we have a catastrophic event here in my area (and we could - the Thomas Fire just missed where I live by about a mile and I did get to volunteer for communications and traffic management - my vest and my official stuff is in my car right now).

We didn't get a barbecue as a graduation - but a lot of people did go out afterwards for food and drinks (I didn't, it wasn't a social thing for me). It's a social thing in my home town, not so much in my work town.

I only wish I'd done level 2, to learn to belay (but to do that, I had to volunteer to rappel...I wonder if Barry ever rappelled anything - I would wager that he hasn't; the equipment needed would be provided by the volunteer - I have it - it's not cheap).
Yes, agree VFF is great.
But in this case it's on top of a supposed 50-60 hour work week.

Verizon had no record of phone calls during those times, so it was theorized that the report showed app notifications, or something to that effect.

That’s what the defense has been good at. They ignored the Verizon records, and focused on this CAST report that mentioned those events. Smart, but misleading.

12:02 a.m. and 12:17 a.m. incoming/outgoing calls the morning of May 10, 2020 on #SuzanneMorphew phone. Agent Grusing said according to Verizon there were no calls or text messages during this time. The LAST REGISTERED CALL from Suzanne phone was on May 9 in the afternoon.

Nothingburger.
Thank you. I didn’t see that but it makes sense.

Thank you. In the other link it says "Barry would have talked to me" and that he didn't think he had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance.

So I guess he did say two different things at different times. Either that or the first article misquoted him.

Actually, I believe most of the tweets at this date/time cited BM as the aggressor if he found out about JL. I think it was only one MSM that reported BM would talk to JL if he learned about them.

Here's a tweet (same date and time frame in the PH) by a different reporter that echoes LS:

@AshleyKKTV
Defense says Libler did not think #BarryMorphew knew that #SuzanneMorphew was seeing Libler. Libler told investigators that he believes Barry would've come after him if that were the case.
@KKTV11News

3:44 PM · Aug 9, 2021·

I'm afraid I don't understand people who would not divorce their spouse "for Biblical reasons", but have no problem with an affair.
I never believed this was SM talking -- I think this was what BM had drilled at her for nearly 30 years. SM was no stranger to divorce -- her parents were divorced. MOO

But you're not addressing a direct quote here. I believe others have quoted JL as stating that "BM would have come after him" if he was aware of the affair.

I don't know anything about JL or his life but I don't think he's acting. He knew that he lost SM and is desperately trying to hang on to his family and his job! It's self-preservation from here on out. MOO
"self-Preservation" hits the nail right on the head. that can lead many people to either hide or shade the truth. i think JL is a member of the hide/shade group. i can not accept that he did not know many of the things he claims to not know. maybe he should qualify that he did not know "for certain". meaning it was a clear documented fact to JL.
JL was with Suzanne for 1.5 t0 2 years. Suzanne most likely shared her concerns with JL about BM spying or stalking or however you want to parse the words. i happen to be in the group here that thinks BM was spying and stalking Suzanne. accepting that leads me to think BM knew about JL and Suzanne. BM decided be be on the down low because the that relationship fit very well into what he was planning to do. so when JL says he thought BM didn't know or if BM did know he would come after JL to me that fits into the self-preservation hide/shade the truth. MOO.

^^bbm

@justtrish - I've been quoting this post repeatedly and finally had a chance to watch the LS youtube PH recap #3, and also produced the transcript and I can't find this information there. Can you please provide the correct link for me. Big thanks. :)

@OldCop
Why where her phone was at 4:10 and then at 4:23 was not the center piece I dont get.
"self-Preservation" hits the nail right on the head. that can lead many people to either hide or shade the truth. i think JL is a member of the hide/shade group. i can not accept that he did not know many of the things he claims to not know. maybe he should qualify that he did not know "for certain". meaning it was a clear documented fact to JL.
JL was with Suzanne for 1.5 t0 2 years. Suzanne most likely shared her concerns with JL about BM spying or stalking or however you want to parse the words. i happen to be in the group here that thinks BM was spying and stalking Suzanne. accepting that leads me to think BM knew about JL and Suzanne. BM decided be be on the down low because the that relationship fit very well into what he was planning to do. so when JL says he thought BM didn't know or if BM did know he would come after JL to me that fits into the self-preservation hide/shade the truth. MOO.
Affair was 18 months exactly, from her first text to him Nov. 2018 till May 9th, 2020.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't understand people who would not divorce their spouse "for Biblical reasons", but have no problem with an affair.
I’m pretty close to the evangelical world (conservative Baptist, cons Presby, and nondenom) and “Biblical reasons” are usually cited as adultery and/or abuse. Though often the church gets involved with “counseling,” and the exact definition of “abuse” is pretty slippery. Strong, strong peer pressure to not divorce. Happy Insta families. Which leads, IMHO, to a lot of covert behavior.
MOO

If JL had fear of BM, I don’t think he would have planned to come visit SM in Co in March. I wouldn’t come to the same state if I was fearful of the spouse. He didn’t end up coming because of covid.
Really shocking SM told no one about JL, but it’s definitely not something to be proud about. Still you would think she needed someone to talk to.

Grusing’s main point was that Barry likely tracked Suzanne, and learned of the affair that way.

So there was no evidence found that Suzanne did tell Barry, although many indications that he did likely know.
Yeah, I think he strongly suspected. I also think he wasn’t sure who it was. That day they got into the argument when SM was going to go into town after BM cut his leg and he accused her of wanting to go into town so she could talk to someone. She also basically said something to the effect of, “So you can question me, but I can’t question you?”
All indications that this had come up before.

Yeah, I think he strongly suspected. I also think he wasn’t sure who it was. That day they got into the argument when SM was going to go into town after BM cut his leg and he accused her of wanting to go into town so she could talk to someone. She also basically said something to the effect of, “So you can question me, but I can’t question you?”
All indications that this had come up before.
It takes a long time to rebuild trust in a marriage for some people and if Barry did have an affair in Indiana prior to the move to Colorado several years ago, my opinion is Suzanne had not rebuilt trust in Barry. Like the judge alluded to it's pretty clear the marriage had disintegrated and at the time of the murder Suzanne wanted a divorce. They'd probably been bickering for years.

This door jamb crack is flimsy evidence. BM would have more likely opened the door lock coldly with a screw driver and not by forcing it. Poor SM. The room was staged. Doesn’t mean the crime took place there.
Nah, if BM was in a rage, he didn’t go looking for a screwdriver so he could get at SM. He kicked that door down.
MOO

Affair or not, Suzanne was not going to leave BM alive. Period. She is the victim here, and hopefully the Prosecution will weed out the morality police during voir dire.

She was isolated and lonely, maybe even wondering if she would survive another round of cancer. I do not judge Suzanne for her choices, whether or not I agree.

She is and always will be the VICTIM of a controlling, unfeeling, NARC with some form of personality disorder. IMO

I'm just so sorry her decision to start a new life without BM meant losing her own life in the process. He was never going to let her go and be happy without him, ever.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member