Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this aspect has already been covered here...found on twitter. This is an interesting new development.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase
I’d love to have an attorney weigh in on how to interpret this. From my layperson’s lens, this looks to be on the surface an ordinary move when a person who owns (or perhaps co-owns) real estate is legally “incapacitated”, to use the term on the page you linked us to. If Barry is named in her will as guardian for such an eventuality, then that could explain the motion. It’s been nearly a month since she went missing ... I’m sure there’s a legal definition in IN for when guardianship kicks in. WS Attorneys out there ... please help!

ETA: I don’t know where I got the idea of real estate being the subject here. Just relooked at the page and see no reference to property. Apologies. Nonetheless am still of the mind that this may be what should be done when a circumstance such as this arises.

ETA: Actually there is a reference to real estate at the bottom of the page. Yikes! Long day.

Last edited:
Kind of a morbid thought, but if you planned to murder someone you’d need months of checklists and plans in order to pull it off. And even then, you’d still forget something or there would be some type of change or difference that you hadn’t accounted for.

Well, not everyone would do it like that. There are serial killers who planned extensively and there are those who simply killed when the opportunity presented itself - often using the same methods of killing and body disposal. Jesperson had no checklists, he just thought of himself as huge, muscular and a man who could, in one on one combat with any person, get the better of that person. He chose small women as his targets, becasue he was a monster. He was a truck driver and the only planning he did was to get the next load to where it was supposed to go.

I don't think Michael Peterson planned at all, I think he flew into a rage over a marital argument of immense proportions.

I do think that in Suzanne's case there will be some details that the killer overlooked. The only alternative to foul play in this case would be a voluntary disappearance due to an extremely scary domestic situation. Only once in my life have I seen something like that go down. Local police were not clued in right away, but the FBI was involved and LE in another state.

I also believe that some people let their minds wander to "what if" scenarios that are pretty dark, and that counts as a kind of prep.

Was the perp someone who just temporarily lost his/her mind? Followed up their actions by spending a few hours figuring out what to do next? Or did they indeed plan this for the week that the daughters were away? They could have started planning after CoVid isolation, as we know that certain crimes occur to people who are more isolated. Often women.

I believe one is a legal resident in the state where they are registered voters. JMO
Yes and a guardianship is generally initiated in the state where the incapacitated person resides not where the property is that the proposed guardian wants control over - I am not an attorney but we handle FL guardianships - there is an examining committee appointed by the Judge to examine the person because it is a very big deal to determine a person incapacitated as you take away their rights one by one - how does IN handle jurisdiction of guardianship? And examine a missing person to declare them incapacitated? JMO

Use someone else's vehicle? moo
Or maybe he offered to go bike riding with her for early MD gift on Saturday? We don’t know how many bikes they have... and as someone said, maybe he suggested a romantic picnic ...
He’s a big guy, he could carry her much deeper into the woods - off the trail.
Then, he returns that night very late, gets the bike and positions it in the opposite direction. He tells everyone he’s gone to Denver early next morning, they are searching around bike location, in the direction of Denver and in the area and direction of “article/item” found ... everywhere but the right direction.
I pass bike riders all the time, I couldn’t tell you what they were wearing, or what color of helmet they wore. I don’t pay attention to them, who would notice/remember unless they had an eidetic memory? It sounds very common to see them in that area.
Can BM ride a bike? Did he have a bike?
Pure speculation ... I want her to be found.

Yes and a guardianship is generally initiated in the state where the incapacitated person resides not where the property is that the proposed guardian wants control over - I am not an attorney but we handle FL guardianships - there is an examining committee appointed by the Judge to examine the person because it is a very big deal to determine a person incapacitated as you take away their rights one by one - how does IN handle jurisdiction of guardianship? And examine a missing person to declare them incapacitated? JMO
My guess is it won’t be long before a reporter finds an attorney in Indiana that can answer those questions. JMO

I believe one is a legal resident in the state where they are registered voters. JMO
Honestly...didn't think we had that option in any state. Doubt you can live out of state all year and then go back and vote, not having paid any taxes in, not sure. Snowbirds have to spend 6 months and one day in Florida I believe, to claim Florida. In Virginia if you have a car here for 3 months you'd better have VA plates..

Again not an attorney but the guardianship public information includes a petition to sell property. Because the pleadings are private we can’t know the extent of control the guardian would have - in my state you can be a guardian of the person and property or just one or the other. My suspicions are He is the proposed guardian so he can sign the deed because without those letters of guardianship he can not convey title to the buyer
JMO

Is it possible they were separated and she was still living in Indiana, possibly with the girls. Maybe she was visiting.

Last edited:
Or, maybe she was still alive until further up the road to Denver.
BBM
Interesting! I don’t think I considered that he might have invited her to go with him to Denver. After all, no children at home, we only have his word they were “expected” home on Sunday.
An opportunity to get away and go to the city might sound very appealing to SM after being locked in due to Covid 19. An innocent stop along the way ... that’s a lot of ground to cover if LE suspects she might be somewhere between her home and Denver.
If they left Saturday ... he would have had plenty of time to come back and stage bike very late at night, or early morning hours on Sunday. I think when he (they) left is an important clue, video surveillance is also imperative in solving this case.
Wouldn’t he have to go through tolls on the way to Denver?
It could take months going through video footage on that route. It’s exhausting thinking of all that LE must do and is doing to find the truth.

The IN attorney must know that jurisdiction is in that state or they would not have initiated it there - they would have referred him to CO to do the guardianship / weird because we just had a situation where a minor inherited FL property but they are in NY - guardianship has to be in NY because that’s where the minor resides - this will be interesting and btw an interested party can appear and object to this whole guardianship court action
IMO

Honestly...didn't think we had that option in any state. Doubt you can live out of state all year and then go back and vote, not having paid any taxes in, not sure. Snowbirds have to spend 6 months and one day in Florida I believe, to claim Florida. In Virginia if you have a car here for 3 months you'd better have VA plates..
Legally, I'd think it is the address you use to file your federal taxes.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member