CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

Sorry the site is not allowing me to reply to quotes.
    Regarding POA's. I have never seen a POA recorded but I do know there are different kinds
    of POAs, one is for a specific thing and may only last for a specific period of time and then it just
    expires. Another is a blanket POA which covers everything the signer could have signed in his/her own name. And it goes on until revoked
    or death of signee.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Welcome to WS @AugustWest and thanks for sharing your valuable, and everso timely experience with us!

In all fairness, I think any angst you sensed from WS'ers about BM filing a petition for Guardianship for his missing wife can best be explained as our shock and dismay to learn BM filed the petition in the state of Indiana after residing in Colorado for more than two years.

Without any details about the petition, all we could do was speculate about a probable property or business transaction yet baffled why BM would be using the Probate court of Indiana versus a POA as they evidentially used not so long ago.

Regarding Guardianship, my personal experience was the recently confirmed Guardianship (Missing Persons) Act of 2017 in UK to make a provision for missing persons property and finances under Guardianship practice without a 7-year wait period. Coupled with the professional experience of other members where UAGPPJA has not been adopted, as well as others that have petitioned for Guardianship of living family members, we had many hours to share experience and worry about SM's interest.

It wasn't until Friday (June 5) that we learned for the first time that the petition was actually regarding jointly owned real estate in escrow set to close today. Again, we had much more time to share concerns than comprehend the temporary grant issued by the court pursuant to IC and the UAGPPJA.

Thanks again for the UAGPPJA and insight, and perhaps you'll consider becoming a verified attorney for the WS forum community. Please find more details at the link below.

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Flicka1, Poedelini, al66pine and 14 others like this.
  3. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Definitely on the table of possibilities. In which case, LE has erred badly. And the family has behaved quite strangely. NO one - not one person - will tell the public when they last saw Suzanne. It's very hard for the public to contribute meaningful information about suspicious persons or to know what to look for on their video feed.

FB has a SM rumor going (it looks like every reasonable local disbelieves it though and in fact, it makes no sense). LE clearly discounts it (and I believe they've received tips, some of them were fairly public).

Crazy passerby? What strategies do you think online sleuthers could use? Does this resemble other cases? It's a road with traffic, but it's not a major interstate. Similar cases anywhere in the region?

Solo abductor or local yokels up to no good?

For ransom would be way out there - and something must have happened to prevent the kidnappers from contact BM, right?

Sherry Papini style?

4. brooks

brooks Well-Known Member

At this time, I do think she is missing from a bike ride. Possibilities for me include abduction - stranger or known person, bungled robbery, serial killer, wilderness misadventure. I am leaning more toward abduction by a known person.

5. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I'm haven't read everything but I don't know if a POA would be recorded. It does however, need to be notarized.

Flicka1, al66pine, Moonchime and 5 others like this.
  6. CronesEye

CronesEye Well-Known Member

BM claimed it was trampled in TDs "interview" video and anytime I go through brush like that with others it gets disturbed, often trampled. I am just making an assumption based on standard movement through foliage that thick, but of course as others have said that is almost a month ago, however it does not look like the top of the plants have been damaged from old or recent traffic, just somewhat of a path cut through.
    I would think it would be best to search such an area over and over to not miss anything, thinking it would be easy to. I did very limited superficial SAR training years ago where everyone walked parallel, in an even line scanning so as to not miss anything. I have never done search training with dogs or solo, but a group. We didn't focus on maintaining foliage but scanning and recovering. You have much more experience than I do, thank you for sharing your experiences.
    I also assume if that truly is where the bike was found it would have a lot of traffic through the last month, from a variety of people.

7. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

In general, when you see a person signing under a PoA when the subject of the PoA is not permanently disabled, it’s a temporary PoA, executed for a specific purpose (signer is out of town, unreachable or perhaps too ill). Most permanent PoAs are triggered when the subject is diagnosed with dementia or otherwise is too disabled to enter into contracts. Of course there are exceptions, but I suspect if BM signed an earlier document under a PoA it was because SM was out of pocket temporarily.

Flicka1, Poedelini, al66pine and 8 others like this.
  8. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

There are certainly many cases around the country of assailants causing a minor accident--car, bike, running--to put the victim at a disadvantage. I can see somebody bumping into her, offering to help her by driving her back to her house, and then throwing the bike down the bank and taking her somewhere else.

But if that happened, I don't suppose he planned to keep her alive for long :( And I think the police would be behaving differently.

JnRyan, Flicka1, GDUD and 18 others like this.
  9. curiousgene

curiousgene Well-Known Member

I have a question and you can give a general reply as an attorney. What constitutes best interest in case of Guardianship of a missing person? I am trying to understand the factors a Judge has to keep in mind before deciding on a case like this. This is a great platform to learn and having an attorney like you contributing in the discussion forum is great. Thank you!

Flicka1, al66pine, Moonchime and 10 others like this.
  10. brooks

brooks Well-Known Member

I do agree that nobody is sharing info on the last time they saw or even spoke with Suzanne. I don't know about the FB rumor. I think it is possible the kidnapper(s) have been in contact with BM.

Crazy passerby is definitely a possibility in my opinion. Sherry Papini style is also a possibility.

Obviously, most people posting here think it is similar to other cases in CO, but I am not getting the husband is guilty vibe. Of course, I am probably slower than others on making that determination. You are correct - it is hard to sleuth without any info whatsoever.

11. TKG

TKG Well-Known Member

12. Feistyomi

Feistyomi Well-Known Member

Serial killer, or first time offender.
    I Understand why CBI was called early in this investigation. Why FBI? I forget the reasons given, I would think CBI could handle this, especially since several recent murders of this nature.
    We have an interview from former sheriff, saying this is bigger than... so far we’ve not been given any indication of the big ones , drugs, money laundering, human trafficking, etc.
    This should be a simple husband murders spouse...
    No body? That is the only option still out there, IMO, and by now, there would be work sites dug up everywhere.

How do we know the surveillance camera didn’t work and actually film the incident? We do not have any info one way or the other?

Murder for hire, still open for speculation, but tonite, I am going w/ predator, possible serial killer. Would need to know if there are similar cases,( where is Penelope when we need her? )We had a sexual offender bulletin pop up here, and quickly shut down. Too close for comfort. Can’t sleuth him. Not much there anyway. SM’s predator has experience, not sure he is local but he probably spent some time in the area. JMO

13. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Hear, hear @TKG.

And not that @MassGuy is an easy act to follow. :):)

14. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO seems likely while getting cancer treatments she may have signed POA.

15. Feistyomi

This is right in line w/ my thinking, what kind of car?!

16. ar3593

ar3593 Well-Known Member

Take it from me, I have been in this situation. I had a serious change of heart after agreeing and signing a contract to sell my home in 2011 in Miami. I was a single mother at the time and loved my home. Even when I poured my heart out to this young couple, they threatened to sue me. They were vicious... I ended up having to sell the house and it's one of my biggest regrets. I broke even, not even a profit after all the blood, sweat and tears I put into that home...if I still had it today, I could be on my way to an early retirement..

17. TKG

TKG Well-Known Member

Guess what? No description of the “suspicious” car. While IMO it all happened before MD and sadly SM is no longer alive, this just speaks to the tight lipped nature of the investigation.

If they though that his observation was a a possible threat or menacing to the community it would have been announced. IMO this investigation has been laser focused from day 1.

18. 303gmf

303gmf Well-Known Member

Good thought!! Be interesting to see if any sales or changes made

Flicka1, al66pine, Moonchime and 5 others like this.
  19. Nerissa

Nerissa Working on a case.....of scotch

IMO considering cases such as SM's - what otherwise might be considered 'harmless' 'innocent' or otherwise innocuous.....is under the microscope

LE has not treated SM as a missing person

LE does not believe an animal attacked her

IMO LE had something very very specific to go on within the first 24 hours

Couple this with BMs real estate transactions, the timing of said transactions & the pursuit of guardianship of his 'missing' wife....

And LE digging up & sifting with a fine tooth comb (with FBI in cahoots if not mistaken) BMs previous worksite......

I'm just waiting for the arrest of BM

It could be awhile - but if they had such definitive information as I suspect LE did from the get-go: it WILL happen

JMO

JnRyan, Flicka1, TheRaven and 41 others like this.
  20. Feistyomi

Continuing w/ serial killer, wouldn’t every known offender in Colorado been somewhat ruled out by now...how long does it take?
    Curious, not a criticism.
    Shades of Shari again, he already had second victim dead and buried, and was moving toward third.
    Where is Suzanne in his list? How wide is his range?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.