Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute Bikes is at 330 West Sackett Ave. There is no 300 West Sackett but the bike shop also has a popular eatery attached to the east side of their building, which is just re-opening now after closure for social distancing. I particularly enjoyed the page of Absloute Bikes' titled "Women's Mountain Bike Clinic". Those local women sure seem to enjoy their mountain bike riding! Some of those bikes look really beyond my modest budget.
https://www.absolutebikes.com/womens-mountain-bike-clinic/
Thanks Dave F ..... so maybe Suzanne went there to buy something for her bike and decided to pick up some food while there in the area, if it was open at the time that is, h'mm, that would solve that puzzle. Just curious about cctv in the area, heading back to stroll around again, am enjoying my virtual tour of Salida :)

If a confrontation occurred between SM and BM, it was most likely spur of the moment and in the privacy of their home. It would be an environment where no one would witness an argument or a struggle. I know the dogs were brought to investigate the outdoor trails. If something happened at home, how soon do Cad___ dogs pick up a scent? I understand that cad—- dogs are specifically trained to pick up the scent of shedding cells due to decomp but if she was allegedly moved immediately would the cad—- dogs be able to pick up anything? Another thought? We know that BM car was impounded by LE and then released back to BM. What about SM car? What about an ATV owned by the family? Daughters cars? Those vehicles would have possibly been at the home too and accessible to BM but we have not talked about that? ALL MOO

There is still not much of timeline for when everybody left.(Or I missed that.) Did he leave before his daughters? When did the daughers leave? If he came back to do something how did he hide this? (car, phone)

Was Suzanne seen around town that weekend? Anything? LE is tight lipped but there must be something in those days, BM and the daughters were gone. Grocery shopping, call to a friend, running into someone in Salida.

There is still not much of timeline for when everybody left.(Or I missed that.) Did he leave before his daughters? When did the daughers leave? If he came back to do something how did he hide this? (car, phone)

Was Suzanne seen around town that weekend? Anything? LE is tight lipped but there must be something in those days, BM and the daughters were gone. Grocery shopping, call to a friend, running into someone in Salida.
There is no timeline at all, and it’s something I’ve never seen before in a missing persons investigation.

Using the Berreth case as an example, we not only knew the time she was last known to be alive, but also saw the video.

Had law enforcement known for a fact that foul play occurred at that time (and who committed it), I’m sure we never would have seen that video. It was a missing persons case at that time though, and they didn’t know what happened.

Law enforcement knew they needed help there, and they asked for it.

If there was any chance this was anything other than a homicide investigation with a suspect, we’d at least know some of the timeline. That would be important in generating tips.

They clearly don’t need help here, and didn’t feel like they needed help early on. That just has to speak to the strength of certain evidence.

There is no timeline at all, and it’s something I’ve never seen before in a missing persons investigation.

Using the Berreth case as an example, we not only knew the time she was last known to be alive, but also saw the video.

Had law enforcement known for a fact that foul play occurred at that time (and who committed it), I’m sure we never would have seen that video. It was a missing persons case at that time though, and they didn’t know what happened.

If there was any chance this was anything other than a homicide investigation with a suspect, we’d at least know some of the timeline. That would be important in generating tips.

They clearly don’t need help here, and didn’t feel like they needed help early on. That just has to speak to the strength of certain evidence.

They did say, that LE and the CBI were still investigating the 400 tips that came in. So a lot people felt the need to share something of importance, whether that checks out is another question.

Chaffee County is the a connection point for three large trails, plus numerous historical places. That means a lot out of town folk, coming through. So many scenarios for an unvoluntarily disappearance. On the other hand we don't know what she did that weekend. I mean if someone saw her on saturday wouldn't the LE have shared something like that? I guess you are right.

We do not know who was the last person to see or talk to Suzanne, nor when or where this occured.

Many agree that the bike was "planted". It could have been planted irrespective of whether Suzanne was in Colorado or maybe somewhere else, anywhere.

Maybe that is what LE is suspecting, hence FBI involvement, and could explain the lack of urgency to issue clothing descriptions, etc. Exploratory excavation of where Barry was last working to make sure.

It seems to me that it is possible that LE is working on the possibility that Suzanne disappeared from another location.
^^bbm

I also think disappearing from another location is a very good possibility, and where this was immediately known and/or discovered very early. IMO, I think BM has exercised distancing from the very beginning and other members of the household are protecting the integrity of the investigation. Otherwise, the family's reaction during the past month just doesn't follow. :eek:

I'm thinking of the statement by TN quoted by DM:

‘The $200,000 means that we’ll do whatever we can to get her back safely. No questions asked,’ Morphew’s nephew, Trevor Noel, told DailyMail.com.

Nobody is impressed with BM throwing his money around. Means nothing. SM is not a commodity.

I can understand the Police keeping things close to their vest and not sharing sensitive information, but it just seems strange to me that they have barely released any information to the media. At the least I would expect a caravan set up with details of her last known movements and clothing etc to prompt peoples memory. I makes me concerned if there was an arrest of, say the husband, then his Defense attorney would have a field day with showing reasonable doubt, just simply by pointing out what appears to be a lack of effort in looking into other theories.

I can understand the Police keeping things close to their vest and not sharing sensitive information, but it just seems strange to me that they have barely released any information to the media. At the least I would expect a caravan set up with details of her last known movements and clothing etc to prompt peoples memory. I makes me concerned if there was an arrest of, say the husband, then his Defense attorney would have a field day with showing reasonable doubt, just simply by pointing out what appears to be a lack of effort in looking into other theories.
I think that whatever it is that is pointing them at BM, it’s huge. Something that has forced them to look in only one direction.

No need to look anywhere else if the answer is staring you right in the face.

I just want to know what the hell it is.

For a dark scenario to occur that person had to have some knowledge about her movements. I thinking of somebody else than BM. Someone he worked with, or somebody she knew very well but he didn't.

I also got my eyes on the Monarch Spur RV Park and Campground, relatively closeby. People on their way through heading west or east can camp there. Or people who are there for a certain amount of time because they are hiking/biking the trail, or just visting the area to recreate.

That camping ground can hold people who have been there before, and thus have knowledge of the area.

Last edited:
I think that whatever it is that is pointing them at BM, it’s huge. Something that has forced them to look in only one direction.

I agree with you and think they have something pretty rock solid and same here I wish we had some idea if they're making headway!

Maybe SM told a friend or family member that if she ever goes missing, to look at BM.

If there was video, I agree we would have seen it by now. Strategically it might turn family members against the suspect or stimulate someone's memory and move the case forward. Who knows what little details were shared that might not line up with the video.

I am placing a bet on his phone being shut off in a suspicious pattern.

It could be more than one thing, I believe, my guess is cell phone, unverified alibi, bike, reward for "safe only return", tips on condition of relationship, financial matters and stories changing for starters.

It could be more than one thing, I believe, my guess is cell phone, unverified alibi, bike, reward for "safe only return", tips on condition of relationship, financial matters and stories changing for starters.
Good list. And often when ONE discrepancy
shows up it leads to many others when they follow the clues.
On true crime shows it's usually the way the perp describes his relationship w/ victim.
He says " Everything was great, no problems."
Daughters may say "They were fighting all the time." BAM! The trail begins.
Also a great question LE asks is 'Who would benefit from having the victime dead?'
This one is easy.

We don't know that there's been no "effort in looking into other theories."
LE evidently doesn't need the public to know anything, and that's the reason why they have "barely released any information to the media." No need for a "a caravan set up with details of her last known movements and clothing etc to prompt peoples memory" if those details would not further the investigation.

Many here seem to have a lot of faith in LE’s ability to suss out the guilty party within hours of being notified of SM’s disappearance. And when an arrest comes quickly, it’s pretty clear they were right. But exactly how long do you expect to wait after searches of the family home and the husband’s worksite (which were conducted weeks ago) for an arrest to happen? Have you ever seen a missing persons case where absolutely no guidance was given to the public regarding description of person, vehicle or clothing AND it’s taken this long to make an arrest? I can’t ever remember one. That’s an awful lot of certainty on the part of LE and, a month later, absolutely nothing to show for that certainty.

I also think disappearing from another location is a very good possibility, and where this was immediately known and/or discovered very early. IMO, I think BM has exercised distancing from the very beginning and other members of the household are protecting the integrity of the investigation. Otherwise, the family's reaction during the past month just doesn't follow.
bbm
Disappearing from Indiana?
Disappearing on the way from Indiana to Colorado?
Disappearing on the way from Colorado to Indiana?

I am placing a bet on his phone being shut off in a suspicious pattern.
That, plus...

Surveillance cams also "down" at key times.
Browser history, GPS trip logs, messenger/text conversations, emails... cleared or erased, also at key times.
His, and hers as well.
I think criminally minded people haven't really caught up with just how much of our day to day lives is constantly tracked.

Once all of that info is gone over (and deleted items recovered), it will tell quite a story.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member