Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
So LE would let a POI continue to use equipment that is suspected of being used to cover up for a murder....for over a month?

That would not make any sense...IMO
Are you suggesting that just because we haven’t heard about the seizure of any equipment, means that it did not happen?

That’s not been what we’ve seen in these cases.
Agreed:

If the search history said something like: "how to stage a bike accident and hide a body" then the analysis would be pretty simple. What is more difficult is following a trail of breadcrumbs. Things such as frequent visiting of a certain site might indicate an affair and then you need to follow up by getting a warrant for his account information. Finding out a certain number is called frequently or at specific times, then following up to get the location data at those times and records for that second number. Buried in there might be an alias that someone uses, then you have a whole other "person" to go investigate. It's likely not that straight forward and each new piece of digital information you ask for likely requires a warrant.

That’s not been what we’ve seen in these cases.

Are you saying that the technology is not being used?

Many local drug task forces use software that can go through phone and PC records quickly. They can narrow search parameters to include specific names or words. Once LE has access to a device whether through warrant, subpoena or consent, the software generates results quickly. I am sure both CBI and the FBI have access to similar tools.

GPS and cell tower info data can take longer to gather and for sure analyze, but IMO both the FBI and CBI have access to software that really aids in and speeds up the investigation of this data as well.

Are you suggesting that just because we haven’t heard about the seizure of any equipment, means that it did not happen?

That was my question. Do we know if any equipment belonging to the missing person's husband was seized?

The house was seized and searched with a warrant for sure.

There was also mention of phones and cars, but it is unclear if those were part of the SW or not.

I do not recall any media reports of a skid steer or any other equipment being removed by LE during the search.

That was my question. Do we know if any equipment belonging to the missing person's husband was seized?

The house was seized and searched with a warrant for sure.

There was also mention of phones and cars, but it is unclear if those were part of the SW or not.

I do not recall any media reports of a skid steer or any other equipment being removed by LE during the search.
We don’t know what equipment he owned, where it was stored, or what was done with it.

With the exception of the Daily Mail article, I don’t think any other outlets reported that BM’s car and phone were seized (of course they were).

It stands to reason they would seize and analyze anything that may be relevant. They clearly believe that his equipment might be, as he laid the dirt at the construction site law enforcement tore up.

We don’t know what equipment he owned, where it was stored, or what was done with it.

With the exception of the Daily Mail article, I don’t think any other outlets reported that BM’s car and phone were seized (of course they were).

It stands to reason they would seize and analyze anything that may be relevant. They clearly believe that his equipment might be, as he laid the dirt at the construction site law enforcement tore up.

The standard for seizure is not relevance, but "probable cause". They would need probable cause the equipment was used in a crime to seize it.

There has been nothing mentioned anywhere about equipment being seized. Chaffee county is small. IMO if LE had seized and removed equipment belonging to the spouse of missing person and brought it down to their impound lot, the media would have got wind of it...IMO

The standard for seizure is not relevance, but "probable cause". They would need probable cause the equipment was used in a crime to seize it.

There has been nothing mentioned anywhere about equipment being seized. Chaffee county is small. IMO if LE had seized and removed equipment belonging to the spouse of missing person and brought it down to their impound lot, the media would have got wind of it...IMO

When you have probable cause to seize certain items, it does not mean that you necessarily take everything. You take what may be relevant, which was my point.

If they had probable cause to obtain a warrant to dig up private property, seize a vehicle and cell phone, and search the residence, it stands to reason they would have probable cause to search any other vehicle and equipment that may have been used to dispose of Suzanne’s remains.

A lone publication said that his car was taken, and that information apparently came from a neighbor. Had that person not talked, we wouldn’t even know about it.

With the CBI and FBI involved, perhaps any seized equipment was taken to a place other than the local lot.

LE established enough probable cause to get a judge to sign off on tearing up concrete on someone's private property.

That being the case, there's no question but that the judge would have also signed off on a search warrant r/t the equipment that was used to dig up that same property.

LE has been keeping an extremely tight lid on this investigation, for obvious reasons.

I don't think we know the half of it when it comes to the warrants that have been executed in this case.

JMO.

LE established enough probable cause to get a judge to sign off on tearing up concrete on someone's private property.

That being the case, there's no question but that the judge would have also signed off on a search warrant r/t the equipment that was used to dig up that same property.

LE has been keeping an extremely tight lid on this investigation, for obvious reasons.

I don't think we know the half of it when it comes to the warrants that have been executed in this case.

JMO.

There is nothing to indicate that a SW was used at the job site. The SW at the house was acknowledged.

If there was a SW from the job site it would be easy to confirm and no media outlet has confirmed the existence of a SW at the job site, to my knowledge.

There is nothing to indicate that a SW was used at the job site. The SW at the house was acknowledged.

If there was a SW from the job site it would be easy to confirm and no media outlet has confirmed the existence of a SW at the job site, to my knowledge.
Probably because it’s under seal. In every single recent high profile case in Colorado that involved the assistance of the CBI and FBI, they obtained a warrant for everything.

In the Gannon Stauch case, we had no idea that there were search warrants on file. The same applied to Kelsey Berreth.

We knew they had obviously obtained them, but never heard about documentation to that effect until much later.

A backhoe or excavator/mini-excavator would be just as conspicuous and would also need to be trailered in, and thus leave potential digital footprints.

Hollywood makes murder look easy. Real life not so much and that is why so many homicides are solved and lead to some sort of conviction...IMO

Hollywood has nothing to do with it. I'm simply proposing the possibility that someone who owns earth-moving equipment and has a plan can make a body disappear.

I would really like to know what equipment BM hauled to Denver, if any. Perhaps it was just a flatbed truck filled with soil? Like this.

Total speculation, of course.

Attachments

• 3309021_400x400.jpg
    3309021_400x400.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 8
I live in a travel trailer with my husband. We go somewhere, stay for a while, usually 2 months or so, and then take turns choosing the new destination. It has gotten very tricky in the pandemic but that’s another story. We are leaving Silver City July 12 and it’s my husband’s turn to find us a new destination. Turns out we are spending the rest of the summer in Salida. Total coincidence. It looks like a beautiful place, and we love hiking and biking, so I’m sure that’s why he picked it. I however will be a little sad and thinking about Ms. Morphew. If there is a chance to help in any way I of course will be happy to.

Probably because it’s under seal. In every single recent high profile case in Colorado that involved the assistance of the CBI and FBI, they obtained a warrant for everything.

In the Gannon Stauch case, we had no idea that there were search warrants on file. The same applied to Kelsey Berreth.

We knew they had obviously obtained them, but never heard about documentation to that effect until much later.

Even if a SW is sealed, it is still at the Courthouse on file once it is returned after the execution of the SW. Anyone can request the SW from the clerk and they will be told it is sealed, if it is sealed. They will still acknowledge the existence of the SW. A party could then attempt to unseal the SW by filing a motion.

Most good journalists know this and frequently check the Courthouse for SW's when they are covering investigations, especially when addresses are known.

If there was a SW for the job site, Ms. Grace or others covering the case would have discovered its existence even if it was sealed...IMO

bbm
In an interview..Susan Medina the CBI spokesperson acknowledged that there was a sealed search warrant for the job site.

Last edited:
Are you saying that the technology is not being used?

Many local drug task forces use software that can go through phone and PC records quickly. They can narrow search parameters to include specific names or words. Once LE has access to a device whether through warrant, subpoena or consent, the software generates results quickly. I am sure both CBI and the FBI have access to similar tools.

GPS and cell tower info data can take longer to gather and for sure analyze, but IMO both the FBI and CBI have access to software that really aids in and speeds up the investigation of this data as well.

I don’t know what to tell you, man. I’m aware of the technology. Many of us used it to locate items we wanted to locate out of thousands of pages of evidence in the Watts case.

Being able to search target words does not replace scouring every document with a fine toothed comb and following up on every lead. Unless you think they’re only looking at evidence to confirm their biases.

Sorry. I don’t share that view.

I live in a travel trailer with my husband. We go somewhere, stay for a while, usually 2 months or so, and then take turns choosing the new destination. It has gotten very tricky in the pandemic but that’s another story. We are leaving Silver City July 12 and it’s my husband’s turn to find us a new destination. Turns out we are spending the rest of the summer in Salida. Total coincidence. It looks like a beautiful place, and we love hiking and biking, so I’m sure that’s why he picked it. I however will be a little sad and thinking about Ms. Morphew. If there is a chance to help in any way I of course will be happy to.

It is lovely there. Lots of shops and strolling. Hike up S Mountain for a great view of the town. Spend some time in Buena Vista too. RV parking is allowed in the large public lot and you can walk everywhere. The Barbara Whipple Trail on the river is fabulous. If (when) it gets too warm, head up to Leadville.

LE Warning to Public, to Tourists?
Someone said, if random abductor/killer is on the loose, LE should warn ppl.
Whether mtn lion or abductor/killer, when & where can LE give warnings? Who & how to warn, esp'ly tourists? Those staying for a week, a month, or others passing thru say for lunch/a.m. stroll & lunch, or shopping?

Station LEOs on US 50 at E & W county lines to stop vehicles to personally warn/pass out flyer? Cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, RVs? Other routes & locations? Bikers, hikers?
LE's FB & soc media?
Place flyers on retail shops, restaurants, traffic lights, traffid signs,etc thru out county?

Ask MSM - print, radio, TV - in Denver, CO Spgs, etc to cover/announce, 2x/day, every hour, or ?
Ask radio stns received in Salida, 13 AM stns, same, ^?
Ask radio stns received in Salida, 20 FM stns, same ^ ?
Ask 2 TV stns in Salida, same ^?
Ask local print media to include info in each edition?

I'm scratching my head about logistics of how LE could handle this, but maybe someone else here could have a go. just my 2 cts.
Easiest logistics ever. Remove the notion that there was a mountain lion attack. LE did this in week 1. Advertise there's a killer/abductor on the loose, but only if it's relevant. Evidently, LE doesn't think it's relevant. EZPZ.

LE Warnings?
Easiest logistics ever. Remove the notion that there was a mountain lion attack. LE did this in week 1. Advertise there's a killer/abductor on the loose, but only if it's relevant. Evidently, LE doesn't think it's relevant. EZPZ....
@RickshawFan :) Yes, that was pretty much point of my original post: for mtn lion attack and husband-did-it theories, there's (virtually?) no need for LE warnings. But I wonder, for UnSub "killer-on-the-loose" theory, whether warnings would actually prompt either locals or tourists to be more safety conscious.* My 2 cts: nope.

On virtually every Dateline episode, Keith Morrison says: The grisly death of this vibrant young woman/middle schooler in a wheelchair/perky, tennis playing Grandma took place in a neighborhood/town/city where residents don't lock doors of their houses or cars. SMH.

If LE thought that the trailer, skid steer or any other equipment was used in the commission of a crime they would have seized these items as potential evidence and likely started civil forfeiture proceedings at some point. Upon forfeiture they would have been sold and the county would get to keep the money.

Do we have anything to suggest LE seized any of the equipment?
No. IMO

This is just MOO, but I have a hard time believing the owner of the searched riverfront property allowed not only for LE to search, but to destroy part of the foundation without a SW.

Early on, LE confirmed there were 10 searches. Each one would have required a SW. We know their home was searched as well as a vehicle, phone and the construction site BM was working on. I don't think any of us know where the rest of the SW's were. Probably because they were sealed.

IMO, MSM only knew and reported on the obvious searches that the public knew about.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member