CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

But I think insurance wouldn’t pay out without a body and an accident.

2. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

I have yet to see a search warrant made public in any Colorado case until after the probable cause hearing. Even then, I’ve yet to see them all released.

Moreover, I’ve yet to see either the DA’s office or law enforcement admit to the existence of a warrant before the legal process begins.

If one were to contact the court, they will be told something along the lines of “search warrants are confidential, and the court can provide no information.”

And that’s if you ask the simple question “how many warrants have been executed?”

Hypothetically. If someone had contacted the court last Tuesday...

3. TxGidget

TxGidget Well-Known Member

I would agree with you if a handful of members of LE canvassed the small community for an afternoon to create the appearance of casting a wider net. But, IMO, assembling 24 CBI and LE officers seems like something altogether different to me. I sense a serious need for new tips. JMO....

kimpage, Fireflize, kay74 and 3 others like this.
  4. KLM6

KLM6 Well-Known Member

I go back and forth with this. One little mistake can ruin the best of plans. But with money and resources seemingly available here, I would think this would have happened further from home with less "evidence" needed if it was preplanned. Jmo.

Itsapuzzle, 10ofRods, susiQ and 7 others like this.
  5. lamlawindy

lamlawindy Verified lawyer Indiana

I forgot that Colorado uses probable cause hearings. We don't use them here in Indiana: a judge either does or doesn't find probable cause when the charges are filed.I still don't like the idea of documents so foundational to the reason for the granting of a search warrant to be held undisclosed for a long time.

6. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

For the sake of exploring any and all angles...

Could SM have gone to a women's shelter for DV violence...
    And decided to not have ANYONE know of her location as that info. could get back to BM?

(Note: There has not been ANY evidence brought to light that indicates there was any DV in the M's home.)

This is just a thought...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. susiQ

susiQ Well-Known Member

I suppose I could entertain that theory IF I believed SM was still alive on Sunday, which I don’t. Revealing for me was BM’s significant pause when asked by Tyson Draper about when last he/others last saw/spoke to SM. He never answers that question directly, he takes a long pause to think and then proceeds to evade the question, bluffing through. However, he likely wasn’t able to do that with LE. He was just selling his “story” to TD, hoping for public support because he wasn’t feeling the love from LE. Speaking of love, nothing in his plea exuded any real emotion or love for his missing wife. I’m telling you, if I went missing and my hubby put out a plea like that, our children would be looking at him sideways. If I were still alive, I’d find my way back and slap him upside the head.

Another thing, if said admirer killed her at home, why would he need to turf the bike down the hill? Running her down on her bike, would have caused significant injury and left evidence. Labour intensive too, dragging her up to take her away seeing they haven’t found a body. And wouldn’t BM KNOW if someone was paying too much attention to his wife? Wouldn’t SM have confided in BM that she’s uncomfortable around a certain individual? I’m more inclined to think he may have been showing too much attention to someone else. Much more likely in these cases as we’ve seen all too often. Oh, an let’s not forget money! It always seems to factor in too. I was less than impressed with BM’s offer of $100,000 for her safe return. Easy peasy when you know you’ll never have to cough it up. I’m miffed too about how he tells TD, “I’VE got a reward.” Yeah right. Conveniently forget someone else put up half of it.

Too much of BM’s story just doesn’t add up and if we see it, LE know it. And, all of it rests on SM having taken a bike ride on May 10th. It appears LE know, someway, somehow, that SM did NOT go on a bike ride and that someone isn’t telling “the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth” and God doesn’t enter into it.

JMHO

8. branmuffin

branmuffin Well-Known Member

Not for me. BM seems a pragmatic soul. He has no issues with ensuring business deals continue to go through. Life is for the living, as they say.

If I'm wrong, I'll print my mea culpas at that time.

9. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

bbm
    Agreed.
    LE have diligently examined all angles of this case !
    Imo sheriff Spezze had reason to call in outside assistance after the first day or two.
    I'm certain he has his reasons and he possibly has more inside information about the Morphews than the rest of us.

Re. the bolded : I think it's safe to say now that Suzanne was not abducted, nor a suicide or an animal attack.
    The only scenario in which I can imagine an abduction would be a kidnapping orchestrated by someone else.
    Imo.

10. dkryder

dkryder Well-Known Member

I view it as a premeditated hit by BM with a lot of subdued passion as driving force. SM final resting place was maybe prepared several months before she disappeared. BM had means and opportunity to bury a 55 gal. drum upright 2ft below ground level on some remote property he had access to. When the time came to "bury" SM it was lose dirt. Could of even had a bush or small tree already planted above. If it had been entirely a thing of in the moment of passion then all the things after the act itself would need to be taken care of with too much room for error. Pure speculation and MOO.

11. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

Seems like SM and Barbara Thomas met the same fate and the last people to see them each of them was their husband. (I'm assuming the last person SM saw was BM.)
    I doubt either of them will ever be found. jmo

12. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

Think about it.
    BM knows when he last saw or spoke with Suzanne.
    We don't know.
    LE doesn't know (the request to save camera footage from the 8th).

So why is this ?
    All clues lead back to the same source.
    MOO

13. Fireflize

Fireflize Well-Known Member

You make a great point. Where did DM get that fire dept training story? They could have fabricated it, but I think they heard it from someone. Could have been a wild speculation from someone local? If it came from BM, and there was no training, that would have been really stupid. Moo

14. Dave F.

Dave F. Just the facts......

It can't have anything to do with the focus of the investigation. Kristen Smart is listed. Once her investigation focused, it has never been anything BUT a murder investigation focusing on one suspect.

I did notice that in every listing that I checked, an FBI Field Office is listed as the primary contact to report information. This leads me to suspect that it is the FBI Special Agent who is responsible for the listing. In the case under discussion in this forum, the FBI has been included in the sheriff's acknowledgements but no Special Agent assigned to the case has ever been named publicly. IMO

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kristin-denise-smart/@@download.pdf

15. Madeleine74

Madeleine74 Knower of Things

Maybe nothing was witnessed by friends that would be red flags and need to be shared. Or, maybe something was witnessed, and they're not saying *publicly*. We need to remember that BM is likely a POI for LE, but still free and able to travel. How wise would it be to make any disparaging comments publicly about the family or BM? He and his family would certainly become aware of those comments and know or learn who was saying what.

*If* any friends noticed something amiss, hopefully they've now shared that with LE.

Another thought: would it actually assuage the public to hear, once or twice, "they're a wonderful couple, SM's always been very sweet and friendly and caring and BM is devoted to his family?" In fact there has been at least one such comment made, if not more, in an article and/or on social media, and that hasn't been enough times or enough people, because complaints have still occurred.

/IMO

16. Madeleine74

Madeleine74 Knower of Things

Regarding any K9s used in this case:

I admit I'm a big fan of dogs in general and trained K9s specifically being used to help follow a track or help locate people (or alert if they detect the odor of decomp).

No, K9s not a perfect tool and I don't think I or anyone else has said they are. But *IF* a dog has alerted, that's a piece of the puzzle that gets my attention. And if several trained dogs were used and *none* of them found a track or alerted, that too would also be something that would get my attention. ("hmmm...wonder what that means...")

Just like *IF* there were zero prints found on SM's bike that too would get my attention because that would be unusual and could be a sign of staging.

IMO

17. Dave F.

Dave F. Just the facts......

It is extremely doubtful that a life insurance claim would be paid without a death certificate. With no body, the only alternative process for creating a certificate of death in Colorado is through the civil courts system, and might be expected to take seven years or longer. That can be sped up somewhat if there is a criminal conviction for murdering the missing person which strengthens the civil claim, but the obvious is true..........no life insurance policy is going to pay out if the convicted murderer is the beneficiary. IMO

18. DizzyB

DizzyB Well-Known Member

Purely hypothetical question regarding the original FF training in Denver. Could it be as simplistic as BM said he was in Denver for FF training and then had to pivot when LE told him it had been cancelled?

19. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

Exactly. Investigative records are confidential in most states under state FOIA laws and are exempt from federal FOIA disclosure as long as there is an active investigation. They become public record when LE wants/needs to enter them into court record, which IS public record, unless you get an order to seal.

There is a very good reason to keep search warrants confidential until charges are actually brought: they can harm the reputations of innocent people. LE must investigate credible tips even to rule people or incidents out. That doesn’t mean the press should be able to crucify witnesses or parties who are ruled out as suspects.

20. redabby

redabby Well-Known Member

That is really a possibility I have wondered about, he may have simply forgotten it was cancelled.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.