Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling it is a pile up of things and not only the photo itself. But i get where your coming from if it was the photo itself.

For me, a key factor (and I'm not completely convinced of anything in this case, of course) was BM's poor impulse control back in Indiana. He was at work, at a large project in which his own work (landscaping) was in no way the primary focus on the day that he lost his temper. Other people, people who were important in giving him references etc were there. His impulsivity and aggression were apparently witnessed by many and he was charged with assault. That's a big deal for a person who probably relies quite a bit on word of mouth and must surely have worked his way up the landscaping contractor pyramid to have gotten that contract.

This shows an inability to govern his temper, even when it's in his own interest to do so. So it started there, and everything I see in him shows a man who is keen to present himself a certain way (including the hotel picture) and likes to come across in a certain way.

Idk why I keep thinking BM isn’t responsible. Maybe it’s because my husband of 25 years comes off as gruff. You could go through my social media and private photos and probably not find him or a smile. But he does laugh, he does smile and he does tease.....he is just a retired Marine and “gruff”. He just really dislikes social media and pictures.
I think people are reading too much into the photo. There could be a million reasons for their expressions in the photo.

Maybe I have doubts because there have been random cases where a stranger is the perp.

Maybe I have a restlessness because the LE and family are being so quiet.

Maybe being a recent breast cancer survivor has helped me see different sides to family and relationship dynamics.

I cannot put my finger on it and tbh it’s driving me nuts.
It’s also interesting to note that SM hasnt posted anything about her husband on Facebook since 2017 I believe. Might not mean anything but it’s odd that she did before and then nothing after. A news article quoting a friend or family member said Suzanne was hesitant about the move but did find positives about it. If true it just doesn’t seem like she was the one who initiated it. I don’t want to get too much into it though as I don’t have a link for it.

Exactly. That’s why I stay on the fence with this one. Based on other cases and my own common sense and what I’ve seen, I’ve felt a bunch of times that he’s involved somehow but I can’t bring myself to say for sure because I could very well be wrong. Which is why I never understand the people who say “he did it” “he’s guilty” with such certainty when they truly don’t know.

What I don't get is how LE ruled out both suicide and stranger abduction so soon. I know it bugs all of us who regularly come to this thread.

I suppose they felt that if she had suicided, they would have found her. Perhaps there are other reasons, but since no one can know for sure if another person is suicidally depressed, it seems to me they must have positive evidence of crime.

Yet, we have no reason to believe that LE decided that it was not a stranger or suicide until at least 2 days after Suzanne disappeared. They were still in large scale "search for missing person" on May 11 near the spot the bike was found.

Then, I think it was May 12 or 13 when they said it wasn't suicide or a kidnapping. By then, they must have talked to BM (done a little alibi checking) and also gone inside the house. But surely there has to be more.

By the 13th, they would have talked quite a bit to BM and to the daughters, and to the few neighbors immediately nearby. It was too soon for much digital evidence to be available (do we even know when they took Barry's truck? Probably in the same search warrant which they used to actually search the house).

For those of you who are still on the fence, do you think it could be someone else who knows Suzanne? Someone who might have the same access to job sites? Are your theories more geared toward random abduction or murder, or did she know her assailant?

I feel he is guilty of something, but what I'm not sure, and to be honest, anything is possible right about now as there is very little information, and a lot of silence.

I've dealt with a fair number of contractors and some of them had some really sketchy employees. One of my favorite contractors also volunteered at a prison and I had to stop using him because I didn't want these guys knowing my house and family. I'm pretty sure a guy that owned a mowing company and his wife were killed by an employee they had to fire like 6 months to 1 year ago. There are troubling gaps in the story but you never know. I don't understand the people that make assertions that may prove to be false. Same thing happened in the Heidi Brussard case. What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely?
Although some WSers can sound very accusatory, I think most of the assertions we see posted here are actually well thought out theories and deductions based on what we know at any given time during the investigation of a case. As we learn more facts, we toss out or add to our theories. I think a lot of the other social media sites are a lot more lenient towards gossip, wild rumors, and innuendo. At least here we base our opinions on known facts from credible sources. I don’t see many people getting pleasure out of conclusions they have reached. In fact, it is usually quite the opposite.

1031 Exchanges Revisited.
@Cassady post re 1031 possibility by the M's, leading to --->
bbm sbm @Cassady @BuySellTrade Thx for your posts. A pentafecta* of taxes issues!!! Some careful maneuvering, w an experienced tax caption at the helm. Glad it worked for you.

.................................................................................................
* I wondered if that was a word. Turns out it is used, in both horse racing & betting
https://extra.betamerica.com/racing/betting-info/horse-racing/super-5-pentafecta/
and robot-assisted surgery https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5161020/.

Let me put it this way. It was a wild ride and much on the edge. Glad it is over. Now don't have that much time to live but have what I need to be comfortable.

Much like BM, I was put in situations where had to act and keep moving. Had a tool kit from education and employment that helped. Plus was demonized by those jealous and by folks that on their principals opposed categorically what I was doing or neighbors to projects. Lots of court costs. Lots of time and expense permitting and then sold permitted projects where others got the major economic benefit. Much more complex than BM possibly doing a 1031 and doing the steps to build what is probably for tax purposes now considered a spec house, whether a 1031 was involved or not.

Unlike BM I was never suspected or accused of any crime much less murdering a wife and nothing became public fodder in a media sense. I do suspect that the house sale in IN and home site purchase in CO are linked (maybe not by 1031) and were in progress prior to SM gone missing.

Considering what little we know, I agree with a majority of WS that things look very bad for BM.

For those of you who are still on the fence, do you think it could be someone else who knows Suzanne? Someone who might have the same access to job sites? Are your theories more geared toward random abduction or murder, or did she know her assailant?

I am not on the fence but the public knows so little actual fact any of the questions you act may be true as well as suicide. If not BM, probably BM and SM were at least acquainted with her assailant. I suspect something was amiss in the marriage because SM seemed crazy in love with BM and then, as Pac31 typed, her social media posts about BM stopped in 2017.

What I don't get is how LE ruled out both suicide and stranger abduction so soon. I know it bugs all of us who regularly come to this thread.

I suppose they felt that if she had suicided, they would have found her. Perhaps there are other reasons, but since no one can know for sure if another person is suicidally depressed, it seems to me they must have positive evidence of crime.

Yet, we have no reason to believe that LE decided that it was not a stranger or suicide until at least 2 days after Suzanne disappeared. They were still in large scale "search for missing person" on May 11 near the spot the bike was found.

Then, I think it was May 12 or 13 when they said it wasn't suicide or a kidnapping. By then, they must have talked to BM (done a little alibi checking) and also gone inside the house. But surely there has to be more.

By the 13th, they would have talked quite a bit to BM and to the daughters, and to the few neighbors immediately nearby. It was too soon for much digital evidence to be available (do we even know when they took Barry's truck? Probably in the same search warrant which they used to actually search the house).
bbm
First bolded :
They know something we do not ?
Frustrating, but I have faith that LE are working diligently for justice for Suzanne.

Second bolded :
Without a doubt !

Something caused the judge to sign off for the third search warrant.
More than the allegations by coworkers and people in the landscaping business saying that BM allegedly couldn't control his temper !
More than people discussing his behavior in a forum.
More than the "item" found.
Imo.

The first would've been for the initial house search and the second for tearing up the other person's concrete foundation.
The third was the second Morphew house search -- iirc.
MOO

Although some WSers can sound very accusatory, I think most of the assertions we see posted here are actually well thought out theories and deductions based on what we know at any given time during the investigation of a case. As we learn more facts, we toss out or add to our theories. I think a lot of the other social media sites are a lot more lenient towards gossip, wild rumors, and innuendo. At least here we base our opinions on known facts from credible sources. I don’t see many people getting pleasure out of conclusions they have reached. In fact, it is usually quite the opposite.
bbm
Very well said. ^^^

LE do not destroy part of a concrete foundation based on a hunch.
Nor would they have done this if they truly thought she was just missing.
So what was the evidence gathered by LE that made such an action necessary ?
Imo.

I have pretty much fallen off the fence, but if I were still teetering, I would have to say I would be considering a person known to her and/or her husband who had access to that job site. If it were an abduction during her bike ride, why would LE be back with a SW at her home? If it were an abduction from the home, I don’t see any perp, known to her or not, dragging the bike a half mile up the road to throw it off the trail with a body in his vehicle. So for right now, unless and until I learn more, I am staying on my side of the fence.

I don't understand the people that make assertions that may prove to be false. Same thing happened in the Heidi Brussard case. What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely?

RSBM
Not trying to snarky, I'm really not. This is billed online as one of the world's largest true crime discussion forums. The rules are pretty tight for discussion and rumor's are not tolerated. Opinions are formed on information from approved sources, his MSM interview for example. We are allowed opinions as long as it is made clear that it is our opinion.

What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely? I'm not sure what Ego or lonely have to do with anything.

No pleasure I suspect, they reacted to an awkward interview and formed an opinion. It could be people are just participating in the whole purpose of the site and engaging in careful discussion.
I have seen tons of mea culpa's from people for forming that opinion at the time.

You wrote before about how people who thought Barry was guilty were busy "spewing hate." Disagreement isn't spewing hate.

Last edited:
I've dealt with a fair number of contractors and some of them had some really sketchy employees. One of my favorite contractors also volunteered at a prison and I had to stop using him because I didn't want these guys knowing my house and family. I'm pretty sure a guy that owned a mowing company and his wife were killed by an employee they had to fire like 6 months to 1 year ago. There are troubling gaps in the story but you never know. I don't understand the people that make assertions that may prove to be false. Same thing happened in the Heidi Brussard case. What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely?
Elizabeth Smart kidnapping comes to mind.

RSBM
Not trying to snarky, I'm really not. This is billed online as one of the world's largest true crime discussion forums. The rules are pretty tight for discussion and rumor's are not tolerated. Opinions are formed on information from approved sources, his MSM interview for example. We are allowed opinions as long as it is made clear that it is our opinion.

What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely? I'm not sure what Ego or lonely have to do with anything.

No pleasure I suspect, they reacted to an awkward interview and formed an opinion. It could be people are just participating in the whole purpose of the site and engaging in careful discussion.
I have seen tons of mea culpa's from people for forming that opinion at the time.

You wrote before about how people who though Barry was guilty were busy "spewing hate." Disagreement isn't spewing hate.
Thank you!

We are all "participating in the whole purpose of the site and engaging in careful discussion." 99% of us like to engage our brain cells and life experience/job experience and try to deduce who the bad guy is. Former cops can use their experience in domestic violence or murder investigations; psychologists can bring that into the discussion; those of us who have life experience (like my life experience with cancer and learning the shocking fact that many men abandon their ill partners, while women do not abandon theirs) and those of us who are old enough to have lots of experience in our own and others' marriages, friendships, personalities, etc.,
can bring those to the table. It's like a puzzle to solve, or maybe fantasy football. If I decide that BM is guilty as sin, it has no impact in the real world.

But maybe the folks who deduce the correct villain can get a Websleuth's patch for their backpack? (Just kidding!)

Just a reminder about SM's social media:

It's important not to make any assumptions about what SM may or may not have posted about her life, family, marriage, or hubby specifically in the last 3 years.
The only posts that the public can see, are the posts she made public.
For all we know, she was posting all sorts of things about home, family, life, health, marriage, etc., nearly every day.
But if folks are not friends with her on FB, they'll never see those things.

I don’t recall LE saying this was not a suicide or abduction. Is there a link to their presser where they said that?

RSBM

You wrote before about how people who though Barry was guilty were busy "spewing hate." Disagreement isn't spewing hate.
Exactly. It’s deduction based on known facts, past experience following cases involving these agencies, the posture of law enforcement, what they have done, what they have not done, and the all but unprecedented behavior of a particular person.

Other than that, I’m just trying to massage my ego. Or something.

i can't rule out that she is not hidden out by her own choice. recently every device i have/had was hacked. i wanted to run away and hide and would have had i not had a very exact person/reason that i would walk threw fire for that held me where i am. i was tempted to walk off and leave my phone and everything and hide. there is some strange things going on right now in the world. in that also i am watching my back because some very detailed info was leaked before i understood what was happening on my devices. someone could have made her so afraid she ran and is not trusting no one and on the other hand some one could have gotten detailed info and gotten the chance to grab her too. i do see it could also be a spouse or known to her person that has done harm. just throwing out there that things are not always as they seem.

For me, a key factor (and I'm not completely convinced of anything in this case, of course) was BM's poor impulse control back in Indiana. He was at work, at a large project in which his own work (landscaping) was in no way the primary focus on the day that he lost his temper. Other people, people who were important in giving him references etc were there. His impulsivity and aggression were apparently witnessed by many and he was charged with assault. That's a big deal for a person who probably relies quite a bit on word of mouth and must surely have worked his way up the landscaping contractor pyramid to have gotten that contract.

This shows an inability to govern his temper, even when it's in his own interest to do so. So it started there, and everything I see in him shows a man who is keen to present himself a certain way (including the hotel picture) and likes to come across in a certain way.

Yeah that is a big factor indeed although im careful with other statements that are going through MSM.

Mine was the Tyson Draper video where BM gets to say his side of the story and the major pause when he is being asked when he last saw Suzanne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow