Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suzanne Morphew’s family speaks out; Their thoughts three months after her disappearance | FOX21 News Colorado

August 10, 2020

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — It has now been three months since a Chaffee County mother disappeared. For the first time, a family member of the woman is speaking out to FOX21 News.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, was reported missing by a neighbor on May 10th, on Mother’s Day in the town of Maysville, Colorado.

One of Suzanne’s family members says that they are worried Barry, Suzanne’s husband hasn’t told investigators everything he knows. Barry told the family he was working in Denver when Suzanne was reported missing and their girls were on a camping trip out of state.

Her family also wants everyone to shine a bright light to remind the public that she is still missing and just how much she’s loved. FOX21 received photos of people shining lights all across the country and world.

[..]

One of Suzanne’s family members is breaking their silence with the promise of anonymity. They’re worried Barry is tampering with the investigation.

This family member says Barry refused two polygraph tests, a critical analysis test and the family member also says the data collected from his truck didn’t match up with what he told investigators.

The Chaffee County Sheriff wouldn’t offer any insight on the family member’s information.

[..]

Michelle Davis is a childhood friend of Suzanne’s. She also attended church together and the bond they formed there grew. They both dealt with cancer, each staying strong for the other.

“Getting to go through this journey of cancer to see where God had led us and it was encouraging words for her that day to get to go through this together,” Davis added.

Suzanne’s family says she beat Non-Hodgkins lymphoma as a young girl in her late teens. At the time, the family says doctors told Suzanne the harsh treatments meant children weren’t likely in her future.

“She lost her hair back then because I remember her getting a wig,” Davis recalled. “She didn’t expect to lose her hair this time but it just thinned a little bit. I did lose my hair. It wasn’t losing the hair that was the hard part it was others treating you differently. She was praying that she wouldn’t lose her hair this time so that Barry and the girls wouldn’t see her like that.”

[..]

Investigators were handing out flyers on Monday and asking anyone with information to call the tipline at (719) 312-7530. So far 700 tips have been collected. Investigators went to Indiana a few weeks ago which is where Suzanne and Barry grew up to question friends and family.

FOX21 has reached out to Barry many times for an interview or a statement but haven’t heard back.

The Morphew family is offering a reward of $210,000 for information for a safe return – no questions asked.

ETA: ***

MH & LE from 7-8 hrs ago
JHG 3 hrs ago
Just went back to CCSO FB post to read the new post from 3 hrs...I wonder if the time the comments are shown posted are different depending on time zones? Anyway I found two recent comments both of which only contain full names in bold lettering. I’ve never heard either name r/t rumors. I was also thinking CCSO surely must check the comments on their FB page in addition to the tip line. They could certainly follow-up with the posters who commented with those names because they weren’t private or hiding their identity.

The rest is DBM because my toes may have crossed the TOS rules of sleuthing. I don’t want to be in time out or encourage anyone else to do something that would break the rules. But I do think it’s worth reading the comments on the recent CCSO FB post with the 2 photos because amid all the insulting comments telling LE how to do their job and the stupid trolls there may be a few breadcrumbs or “nuggets” of relevant information. There are also some very nice comments on there to be fair.

Last edited:
Exactly... The fact that people remain suspicious of others close to a victim is not something that's going to go away, polygraph or not. And those "people" include law enforcement. So, what's the point of taking one?
Neither of them would have suffered any legal consequences had they not taken one either. The Polygraph had nothing at all to do with the outcome. The reason they didn't suffer any legal consequences is because LE had no proof he/she murdered their daughter.
My own opinion-- they suffered no legal consequences be cause they had powerful expensive attorneys.

Good questions. The PE guys, I believe, said it was due to BM's "job stresses" (I hear "He kept punching people at work." Personally, while we only know of 1 person punched by BM and 1 person who had mulch dumped on him, those two incidents predict more shenanigans and certainly, a poor reputation would follow BM around Indiana.

I do not believe BM had any kind of job in CO, and I am still puzzled by the move. Older daughter enrolled in a community college 1 hour away (it's in a lovely mountain area) and they certainly got a change of pace. Many people love CO as a retirement/semi-retirement place.

Cancer put a strain on their marriage, and then there was CoVid.

Whether or not BM had an affair partner, I see him as the type whose very existence and way of making a living depends on a fairly high degree of sociality. He needs to meet people, make them laugh, impress them with his stories of success, and get a landscaping job. In Salida or nearby.

If he had contacts in Denver, I'd think LE has gone and spoken to them (but I don't think they exist - this entire investigation seems centered on Salida with field trips to Indiana).

I think their finances were a shell game, and that alone could be the motive for Suzanne's disappearance. Perhaps BM plans to build a cheaper house for him and his mom, and then sell the big expensive house, which would set him up for a nice lifestyle (if he's not in jail).

So i guess they could move because of job stresses, could that also mean they got in financial trouble? Not right away because they bought a very expensive home but maybe the last year was hard to come by because they was not enough jobs getting in for BM?

Yeah i find it telling that he is moving his mom out there. That makes me believe that was the plan all the way. But Suzanne felt isolated and probably did not want to set roots here. Could be that they were arguing about that. I think that is a issue that was recent because he bought land after Suzanne went missing.

All speculation.

If you look at SM’s old Twitter account, there are pics of the girls and BM going to CO on holiday. Seems they liked going there to camp, fish, hunt, whatever. Or at least BM liked going there. Then we learn the eldest daughter enrolled at a CO university. Maybe at Barry’s urging? Maybe the girls ended enamored by CO as BM was? I guess these things plus BM having financial, or at least, charges against him, finally pushed them to all move out of IN to CO. Maybe he wasn’t getting any jobs?
We do know Suzanne had just been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma right before the move. So I find it hard to believe that someone with a compromised immunity system would travel so far and go through a move for no good reason. I think they were driven to move away.
MOO

Yeah it could be that they lived closer to where the daughter enrolled university indeed. But i find it telling that Suzanne was not all to keen about moving. Wonder if that was the case when they moved or it developed over time. Jmo

I think you're on to something here. They make sure to show the location and CBI in large lettering on the back of their jackets. Seems like they are trying to make the perp sweat and /or flush out an accomplice. Letting them know they're getting close.

Yeah for sure! Esspecially the guy with the gun belt and CBI on the back. They feel like a breeze of hot air. Jmo

My own opinion-- they suffered no legal consequences be cause they had powerful expensive attorneys.

Perhaps. With a case as high-profile as that one, though, I doubt that police or prosecutors were going to be holding off if they had solid evidence.

A defense attorney who has a good relationship with police and prosecutors may be able to get the government to agree to file a lesser charge (i.e. misdemeanor instead of felony) or occasionally get the state to decline the filing of charges, but in a very high profile case, that would be very difficult.

Perhaps. With a case as high-profile as that one, though, I doubt that police or prosecutors were going to be holding off if they had solid evidence.

A defense attorney who has a good relationship with police and prosecutors may be able to get the government to agree to file a lesser charge (i.e. misdemeanor instead of felony) or occasionally get the state to decline the filing of charges, but in a very high profile case, that would be very difficult.
A knowledgeable defense attorney will also tell his client to only say "I plead the 5th"...

Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew refused polygraph test; truck data doesn’t line up with alibi, family member says

Aug 11, 2020

Relatives of missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew are concerned that Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew might know more than he is telling investigators, according to a new report.

A relative of Suzanne’s spoke to Fox 21 News about the ongoing investigation into Suzanne’s disappearance three months ago. The Indiana native, who had moved to Chaffee County, Colorado, with her family in recent years, was reported missing on Mother’s Day when she did not return from an apparent bike ride that morning — a bike ride that authorities have never confirmed, though non-police sources said early in the investigation that Suzanne’s bike had been found.

The family member, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told the news station that Barry Morphew had twice refused a polygraph test, and claimed that data from his pickup truck did not match what he had told investigators.
[..]

Authorities in Chafee County have not commented publicly on Barry Morphew’s whereabouts on the weekend Suzanne went missing. Earlier in the investigation, there were conflicting reports about where Suzanne’s husband was on Mother’s Day weekend, when the couple’s two daughters were reportedly out of town.

Initially, a source reportedly said that Barry was at a firefighter training workshop. The Chaffee County Fire Chief told CrimeOnline this spring that he was unaware of any firefighter trainings sponsored by his department that weekend. He said he believed Barry had been working at a landscaping job in Denver when his wife went missing. According to the Fox 21 News report, that’s also what Barry told family about his whereabouts the weekend Suzanne disappeared.
[..]

The Fox 21 News report does not elaborate on how the data from Barry’s truck purportedly conflicts with what he told police. CrimeOnline has requested further specifics about a “critical analysis” test that Barry declined, according to the relative’s account.

In May, CrimeOnline spoke to a relative of Suzanne’s, who requested anonymity. That relative said that Suzanne’s extended family was “in the dark” about the missing persons investigation. They also said that while Suzanne and Barry seemed like a happy couple, “sometimes we don’t know people as well as we think we do.”

A good defense attorney will also tell his client only say "I plead the 5th"...

100% correct! In fact, I used to have a marketing gimmick: fake "nickels" with a big "5th" and the word "amendment" underneath on one side and "I invoke my right to remain silent & to an attorney" on the other. I told my clients to give it to police if they were ever questioned.

Also they benefited because first police at scene did not secure scene properly, which was also likely to be because of their conspicuous wealth.
ITA LE was very deferential to the Ramsey's. Much like I believe happened in the Rebecca Zahau case. Jonah Schackni was so wealthy that his money seemed to dazzle LE. That was a true travesty. All IMO

100% correct! In fact, I used to have a marketing gimmick: fake "nickels" with a big "5th" and the word "amendment" underneath on one side and "I invoke my right to remain silent & to an attorney" on the other. I told my clients to give it to police if they were ever questioned.
So, sometimes it's not about right and wrong--- sometimes it's about a good gimmick.

That bothers my heart, soul and mind...

As I said before, Ramsey's had expensive powerful attorneys...

I like it! Sounds like another good marketing plan for one for-profit business plan. Why did you stop the fake nickels?

Also they benefited because first police at scene did not secure scene properly.
ITA LE was very deferential to the Ramsey's. Much like I believe happened in the Rebecca Zahau case. Jonah Schackni was so wealthy that his money seemed to dazzle LE. That was a true travesty. All IMO
MOO Thats why we all love the prototype of a grizzled un-buyable detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288