Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
From looking at the aerial photo posted earlier, it looks like they live in what I would call the wilderness. Probably no cell service there.
Looking at CC Sheriff FB page, it seems they have a lot of outages and lots of comments from locals about Verizon being their only choice of carrier in that area. This is from May 7.

Attachments

• EBABE674-D279-4B36-A22A-24E5CF7EE13C.jpeg
    EBABE674-D279-4B36-A22A-24E5CF7EE13C.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 23
From looking at the aerial photo posted earlier, it looks like they live in what I would call the wilderness. Probably no cell service there.
Someone posted a cell phone service map previously..thread 2 maybe? It showed service from all providers as far as where 50 and 225 intersect and only ATT all the way to Monarch Pass. So there is service at their house, according to that map/post.

The press release is from May 13.

On May 17, LE asked people to preserve video that goes back two days before her disappearance.

That leads me to think that between the press release on May 13 and the request for video preservation on May 17, LE has learned something that makes the May 10 bike ride questionable.

My opinion only. I'm certainly not on the investigative team, but am looking at developments over time from my armchair. From how I see it, the only thing we know for sure that happened on May 10 is that SM was reported missing.

jmo
yep - and not much else
JMO

I thought that 911 calls could be completed/routed to the closest network, even if the phone says “no signal”? I could be wrong, though!

A working but disconnected cell phone that no cell phone company has activated on their network will still call 911. This can happen when someone doesn't pay the phone bill and the company disconnects service. However, the phone itself still needs to work and still needs to be in a location with cell service. There will still be plenty of locations that just don't get any cell service, and no cell phone, service or not, will be able to call 911.

And there are almost no houses in the area between her house and the trail, location where her bike was supposedly found- are they are hoping for footage somewhere else of something else?

Not to you personally, Curiousobserver, but I wish I could set a filter, and filter out every post that mentions the bike. We know absolutely nothing concrete about the bike with regard to its importance, or not, to this case. For the bike to mean anything, we would first have to know that SM was, in fact, on a bike ride when she went missing. We do not know that, we do not know when she went missing, though I'm hoping LE does. We know there was a 911 call on Sunday, May 10, and we know SM is missing. No published LE established timeline on SM's activity prior to MD weekend, no published LE confirmation about the whereabouts of family prior to and including MD weekend, and scant information actually revealed by LE.

Sorry, oviedo, but not good maps there. Daily Mail has the wrong house identified as the Morphew house.

A working but disconnected cell phone that no cell phone company has activated on their network will still call 911. This can happen when someone doesn't pay the phone bill and the company disconnects service. However, the phone itself still needs to work and still needs to be in a location with cell service. There will still be plenty of locations that just don't get any cell service, and no cell phone, service or not, will be able to call 911.

Ah, thank you for the information! I wonder if that means there was no cell service at her home, or just out on the trails? I’d personally still recommend bringing a phone, even without service - you can still use the flashlight, compass, or even notepad function in case something went wrong. MOO.

Question for you more experienced sleuthers: in past cases, when the FBI was called to help, what sort of evidence was being collected early on?

::puts hand up::

If you take a look at the Gannon Stauch case and its eventual Arrest Affadavit, it would include:

Cell phone records
Records from vehicles as to vehicle whereabouts
Google records and analytics for various parties
Information from any apps on phones or other devices, including smart watches
Text messages from any source
Home security company records
Bank account information, including credit card transactions
Sophisticated forensic evidence (such as DNA but also variants on luminol analysis and other trace evidence forensics)
Investigation of other person's cell phones, after obtaining warrants
Digital "footprint" (online activities, typical behaviors online, etc)

Right now, I'm guessing the #1 priority is to check out whether anything LE has been told by any of the family or friends is consistent with the above.

<modsnip: No MSM or LE reports wrt Suzanne's phone>

Meanwhile local LE will be contacting locals for dashcam or other videos, etc. or other evidence obtained locally. FBI is expert on the digital side, but also on the special forensics side (helpful in blood spatter analysis if needed, touch DNA, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO when a person has been missing for over a week, the chances of them being held alive somewhere diminishes. Not that it's impossible for such a thing to happen, as we know it can and does, but at some point the chances are reduced, as statistics would show.

Not to you personally, Curiousobserver, but I wish I could set a filter, and filter out every post that mentions the bike. We know absolutely nothing concrete about the bike with regard to its importance, or not, to this case. For the bike to mean anything, we would first have to know that SM was, in fact, on a bike ride when she went missing. We do not know that, we do not know when she went missing, though I'm hoping LE does. We know there was a 911 call on Sunday, May 10, and we know SM is missing. No published LE established timeline on SM's activity prior to MD weekend, no published LE confirmation about the whereabouts of family prior to and including MD weekend, and scant information actually revealed by LE.

Sorry, oviedo, but not good maps there. Daily Mail has the wrong house identified as the Morphew house.
i edited my original post - I think one of our sleuthers posted a map with the houses circled up thread or in the media thread

I think it's a best practice to bring a cell phone or more importantly a PLB in remote areas with no cell or spotty cell reception if you're out hiking, biking, etc. Not everyone does, you of course will regret that decision in an emergency (lost, serious injury, aid another person, etc.).

MOO
Keep in mind folks, until LE has confirmed what they're being told by friends and family,
everything is speculation.
Has LE confirmed that she did leave on her bike
on May 10th? Or were they told this by a family member?
Maybe LE now believes she was not seen or spoken to after May 8th Friday. Maybe May 8th
is the important date of something happening to her. Maybe her bike and personal items were planted by the perp to confuse LE.
I agree with others that what LE doesn't say is
very important right now.
IMO, LE is honing in on who and what happened to her.

IMO when a person has been missing for over a week, the chances of them being held alive somewhere diminishes. Not that it's impossible for such a thing to happen, as we know it can and does, but at some point the chances are reduced, as statistics would show.

I agree and sadly believe she was deceased within 24 hours, most likely hours after whatever event happened. (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth