CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puzzles8

Puzzles8 Well-Known Member

Sorry for asking repeat questions, I am really trying to catch up.

Even if they have not found her actual cell phone, LE can still retrieve a lot of information from her cell carrier. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2020

2. Jo in Calif

Jo in Calif Well-Known Member

I believe they were talking about this report.

Morphew was last seen on Mother’s Day, May 10. Her husband was in Denver, her family says, and a neighbor reported Morphew missing when she didn’t return from her bike ride.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Neighbors Asked To Save Surveillance Video

3. GoJacks

GoJacks Unknown Member

Were CBI/FBI brought in for any of these cases?

Kyte, happyday, AnnaGrace and 9 others like this.
  4. Spartygirl

Spartygirl Verified Insider - Michael Vanzandt case

Thank you for the reminder.
    I tend to go with my first instinct but you are correct, once in a very great while, it is about something totally different than what we think and the situation is not always what we think.
    Heck, sometimes when I think there is a perp, it ends up being an accident even. So there's that. JMO

Kyte, kimpage, Flurries and 14 others like this.
  5. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

I wonder if Agent Tammy or Agent Coder have been assigned to this case, and if so have they conducted the interviews? Just wondering. IF there is FP on behalf of someone close to Suzanne, they’ll likely get a “back rub”.

6. MesquiteO21

MesquiteO21 Please take the time to read "The Gift of Fear"

for the most part, simply based on LE's response. I don't think accident is 100% ruled out, but the authorities know more than we do. Full respect to LE, but their priority is collecting evidence and apprehending (alleged) perpetrators. Pulling out all the agencies that are now involved basically says it all. From what I've seen, if an accident is suspected and the person could possibly be alive, they will send out SAR, but FBI is pretty unlikely to be called in.

I think of the missing persons cases I've personally been involved in that were likely suicides -- which indeed turned out to be true -- and while LE was aware, they didn't rally or organize searches like we see here. It may seem heartless but you have to remember that they have finite resources, man power, time, etc. and that really has to be saved for things like processing crime scenes and catching perpetrators. I just don't think they would go to all this trouble if they thought accident or self-harm were equally as likely as foul play.

7. CharLee2112

CharLee2112 Member

Some questions answered on May 18:

Investigator explains FBI’s involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case
    Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO

BM's video plea:
    "It's something that's caught the attention of former Pueblo County Sheriff and now Private Investigator Dan Corsentino. 'It seems to me there is something more driving this case that none of us know about at this point in time,' he said."

Why FBI:
    "Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues. 'The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County,' he said. While investigators have found "what's believed to be a personal item" belonging to Morphew, they haven't said what the item is."

"'They want to maintain the integrity of this case. They want to make sure there are no leaks in the case especially if they have some suspicion of a person who may be involved, like a person of interest,' Corsentino said."

"Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances. 'This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct,' Corsentino said."

cujenn81, libraryg, Kyte and 46 others like this.
  8. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

Valid points. ^^^

Or GPS from the vehicles as well.
    I'm sure they own more than one vehicle.

Melrose, osu, 10ofRods and 5 others like this.
  9. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

bbm
    That's "new" news !
    Thanks for the link.
    Interesting that the scope of the search is now leading away from their home.

Kyte, Shire, Blue Amethyst and 21 others like this.
  10. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Sure, with a search warrant and the FBI data recovery personnel it's astounding what can be recovered with or without the instrument.

11. ab01

ab01 Ooh Rah

We saw that in the Berreth case, Even without her phone they were able to uncover quite a lot of pertinent information

12. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

RSBM.
    As discussed previously, it has never been stated that the neighbor saw Suzanne that day. Here is part of the initial press release from the Sheriff: "Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home." (BBM). It has not been disclosed what caused the neighbor to say that Suzanne reportedly went for a bike ride. For all we know, a family member or friend could have called the neighbor with that information.
    Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

No one has publicly stated that they saw Suzanne that day -- that is probably why there is no description of her clothing. As to the green bike helmet, that information comes from a flyer that's on the "Find Suzanne Morphew" FB page. LE has not stated that she was wearing that helmet.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  13. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Like where her body may be if she was taken elsewhere ?? If she was kidnapped ?
    JMO

14. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

On the other hand, remember Todd Kohlkepp? And that couple that were his last victim & survivor? And most of us thought their car went off the road and debated whether they were in a body of water and whether kudzu could totally cover a car to the point it's hidden from searchers? And then BAM! The woman was being held captive by a serial killer and the man had been murdered by him, and he was responsible for an unsolved mass killing with a totally different MO from many years earlier?

Truth is stranger than fiction. Without these unexpected twists would Dateline even have a show? Certainly some theories are more rational and reasonable than others and the evidence and statistics often point in a certain clear direction (or away from another). We'll know when we know.

JLZ, MsGazette, Kyte and 12 others like this.
  15. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Thank you - I was about to look that up. I knew the South Arkansas went into the Arkansas and I did think the headwaters were closer to Maysville. It's been years since I've been up there, but my aunt's in-laws had a cabin on the way up to Monarch Pass (maybe on the other side though).

Is that stretch before Salida at all used for rafting?

16. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

<modsnip: Members have been advised to not discuss Suzanne's health is there no WS approved source for the information>

We all have those same questions.

What we know, though, is that a 49 year old woman is missing; the police were told she went for a bike ride; she's not at the house, she doesn't appear to be in the reservoir or the river, she doesn't seem to be near where her bike was found. Husband speaks as if it's an abduction (MOO). No one has heard from her, that we know of. And now, LE has asked people in the area to look through videos from May 8-May 12.

Which is interesting.

17. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

from the article above :

Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

bbm ....what does "would say" mean? To me, it implies a hypothetical probability, not that the sheriff actually said that. imo

JLZ, sweetdreams, TRB and 15 others like this.
  18. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was set up instead of something random.
    The whole story (what we've heard) is so odd.

TRB, Kyte, Ravenesque and 12 others like this.
  19. leonm

leonm Member

Anyone that knows if she had a Pinterest account? I've seen one but I would like to see some confirmation if possible.

20. notbornyesterday

notbornyesterday Active Member

What a well thought out and worthwhile post. I commend you on it. Thank you for taking the time to type this.

MsGazette, TRB, Kittybunny and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.