Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't clean with chlorine but that would be a way to destroy evidence on your body. No need to worry about LE looking is the sink or shower drains for blood I would like to know if LE took photos of Barry soon after he returned to Colorado to see if there were any defensive wounds, Suzanne seems like she would be a fighter if her life was in danger.
Hunters ambush, give no fighting chance. If they did the deer would be armed.

As always I appreciate you posts. I have been thinking about this since our last exchange. On this point we will just have to disagree. In fact, I think I disagree completely, especially when I try to zoom out and think about a law that applies broadly to a whole population when not just focused on this one case.

I think the June 3 action made perfect sense. There was no need to derail activity that was already in motion. That worked exactly as I think it should. If there was any evidence, the evidence was that Suzanne was already on board with that real estate activity. This was almost a textbook example of how things should happen.

Further, I think it could often be darn near impossible to establish your items (a) (b) and (c) above. If such things could be known, it seems an adult daughter or parent would be most likely to know, in which case the current setup works just fine. They would have to actually take some action, though, or the whole thing is moot anyway. Beyond that, I'm not convinced guardianship is primarily about those things (wishes and feelings and beliefs and values). Often times the guardian is put in place because the ward is not making (or has been deemed incapable of making) good decisions for himself. Therefore, I think there are "right" actions for a guardian to take that are best for a ward but would NOT be what the ward would do himself according to wishes, feelings, beliefs, and values.

I can see some logic in a missing person being assigned to a class other than incapacitated. This would only make sense, though, if there was a specific set of guidelines that would be meaningfully different than the guidelines for incapacitated persons. I struggle to understand what those would be, though. Certainly there has to be some action taken in a relatively short time and the answer cannot be to put everything on pause. Someone needs to be able to make decisions for the missing person.

All IMO
Personally, my biggest issue with the whole guardianship of a missing person is the missing person does not have access to counsel but an incapacitated person does in my state. In fact, the court appoints an attorney to represent them in every step of the guardianship proceeding including the incapacity meetings (3) with physicians. Levels of incapacity are then determined. But the person has counsel and may still object to the guardianship. If the missing person had independent counsel to represent them, I would feel much better about using guardianship in this manner. Of course, I also believe the assets should be in a locked account and the guardian should petition for each individual transaction so there is oversight. Even if it ends up being just a rubber stamp. There would be a record of what was there, and what was used.

JMO

Just catching up and still on page 26. If LE have known that BM has been lying all of this time, why have they not arrested him in by now? And I mean arrested for lying to officials and nothing more, at least until they have found evidence to suggest he was responsible for SM's disappearance. As someone else has stated, this has just happened with Megan Boswell. The same happened with Shannon Ryan recently, although much quicker.

This is the bit that i'm still struggling with - I just don't understand why they haven't arrested him for lying. Perhaps he isn't a flight risk, but he's responsible for those poor girls! If you're capable of murdering your wife, especially if premeditated, then you're capable of killing your daughters too - JMO of course.

I want a Chris Watts style interrogation, on video for us all to see, and I want the person questioning him to be a female. Part of me just wants to see a female bring him down and emasculate him, after years of thinking he could control the women in his life. JMO.

All good points you’re making. MOO LE isn’t going to arrest BM for lying to them bc once he’s arrested the clock starts on charging him with SM’s disappearance. The huge difference btw Megan Boswell & BM financial ability to hire high priced defense attorney. Imho. LE can’t afford to jump the gun before they have their case sewn up for an arrest affidavit for SM’s disappearance. Just my 2cents.

And most of Colorado was back open May 8, correct?

My questions is, many businesses re hotels, motels, etc. had their own rules like for pools, fitness rooms, laundry areas, did this hotel have the same?

If so, then the public pool/jacuzzi could not have been where the chlorine smell came from. JMO
everything is happening so fast today, its like 8 pages back but the government didnt open these activities up until sometime in june i believe and jacuzzi tubs are not listen on the hotels amenties list nor could i spot one in any of the room photos

BBM:

I think these revelations are coming out now because LE is ready for them to come out now.

In effect, the media is fingering BM as the main suspect without LE having to officially name him.

The property docs are a HUGE red flag. If for no other reason, they're a red flag both because BM took them with him to the hotel room in the first place, AND because he left them behind.

The primary reason the property docs are a red flag to me is because of all the actions BM took in the immediate wake of SM's disappearance r/t property deals. All of that screams relevance to the crime.

He's always been entirely transparent to me.
BM strikes me as being pretty dumb, to be honest.
You don't have to be a genius to be an effective con man.
You just have to be superficially charming and convincingly disingenuous.

I think he's perfectly capable of being incredibly sloppy.

I say that because I think BM is a habitual liar.
Habitual liars take it for granted that everyone will blindly accept their statements.
They have no problem offering varying accounts to different parties.
They don't expect all these unconnected parties to compare notes.
They don't expect any actual fact-checking to occur, because they've gotten away with their lies for so long.

Something tells me we'll all see plenty of evidence regarding BM's hotel stay once charges are filed in the case.

I think the employee is in CYA mode, which is understandable, because let's face it, he needs to cover his backside, given the way BM manipulated him.

I believe this account, because there's no reason for this employee to come out with a story like this.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Sheriff Spezze's office right now.

JMO.
bbm
Agreed.
As in a call from someone saying..."Let me tell you what happened."

Tbh, I'm not expecting that sheriff Spezze will be receiving a phone call anytime soon. ;)
Considering how LE 'mismanaged' the bike evidence by at least 10 officers, and everything else thus far.
Imo.

Even if they arrest him for lying, he’ll be free in hours or days. So there really isn’t an incentive to do that, especially if they have hope that he will speak with them again.

About time you showed up.
What, you couldn't reschedule your weekly mani/pedi just this once?
I mean, c'mon, dude: Priorities.

But you're right.
LE isn't going to arrest him for lying to police.

This is about LE demonstrating that they're in control of everything that happens at this point.

It's also about LE progressively ratcheting up the perp's stress/anxiety level.
Clearly, they have him on the installment plan right now.

LE's putting the perp on notice that there's an axe dangling over his head.

He has absolutely no idea when it's going to fall.

Imagine the dread he must be feeling.

JMO.

Last edited:
I’m just curious but did this worker get paid for his daily mail article? And why is it just coming out?

insurance papers on a house come once a year so to me that’s not a red flag. They also come when you refinance a house or change insurance. He also owned multiple homes so he would get a lot more mail.

BM doesn’t seem like he would be that stupid to make up several fake alibis. I think anyone this day and age would know cars have gps, cell towers ping phones, Hotel reservations have time stamps, check in has time stamp, LE would talk to his job site and be able to tell when it was booked ect.

I just have a hard time thinking that anyone would be that sloppy. Unless something happend and it was in the heat of the moment. Then I can see someone being sloppy trying to cover their tracks but if it wasn’t pre-meditated then having a hotel reservation prior makes no sense. I also just do not trust this worker at all. Is there any proof that there was chlorine smell or is it just his word?

Is there also proof of this conversation Sunday morning. Recording or text messages. The call could have taken place but it could have been about work or something. I feel like I’m this particular case I need proof or evidence.
Agree with you. Worker's statement as published in DM is odd. Perhaps source/s unreliable. Despite my concerns about this article, I am convinced BM is responsible for SM's disappearance. However.......Just the facts, ma'am PLEASE!.

I don't think that is correct.

According to the article, "Jeff Puckett, 49, of Salida, Colorado, said he was ordered to Denver by Barry that morning but didn’t see him because he had already left ‘due to a family emergency’."

So, I think JP is explaining that the family emergency accounts for why BM was not at the Holiday Inn when JP arrived there late in the day; it has nothing to do with when BM ordered JP to come there that morning.

These are the types of things that bother me about some reporting. They can make it sound very different just by wording. Two very different things there. One would implicate Barry for suggesting their was a family emergency way before he should hvae known there was an emergency. The second would be a reason why the room was left in such a way when his employee arrived because Barry had to leave unexpectedly.

Again I don't know if BM did or didn't harm SM.. but reporting in this case has been all over the place and piecing together who said what about times could be much clearer if LE was talking about any of it. Instead we have news reports quoting people (almost always not LE because they have said very little), YouTube video interviews with friends, co workers, and family. We don't have facts from LE on when he checked into or out of a hotel, when he told them he last saw SM, when he said he was going or where for work. Nearly everything has been reported from somewhere other that LE. Maybe they don't need to put any info out because they just have what they need.

Wasn’t it around that time ( July 18 ) that we noticed that the Puma Path address no longer came up on Google Maps? And I made a joke on here about the DM lurking in the bushes with cameras or drones! I just typed Puma Path in Google Maps just now and look what it shows!
Hmm.
Non-profit.
So they're still accepting donations ?
I suppose they have no reason to shutter it just yet.
Speculation : There's the matter of hiring a competent defense lawyer and so forth.
Imo.

These are the types of things that bother me about some reporting. They can make it sound very different just by wording. Two very different things there. One would implicate Barry for suggesting their was a family emergency way before he should hvae known there was an emergency. The second would be a reason why the room was left in such a way when his employee arrived because Barry had to leave unexpectedly.

Again I don't know if BM did or didn't harm SM.. but reporting in this case has been all over the place and piecing together who said what about times could be much clearer if LE was talking about any of it. Instead we have news reports quoting people (almost always not LE because they have said very little), YouTube video interviews with friends, co workers, and family. We don't have facts from LE on when he checked into or out of a hotel, when he told them he last saw SM, when he said he was going or where for work. Nearly everything has been reported from somewhere other that LE. Maybe they don't need to put any info out because they just have what they need.
I agree reporting is all over the place. I also think that there is a big difference between the smell of chlorine and the smell of bleach. I have been in hotels where the whole hotel smelled like chlorine so this doesn't mean anything to me in indicating BM's guilt or innocence.

IMO we still know very little and everything is pure speculation. As I said before, I know that in most cases like this it is the husband but I don't think there has been anything that convinces me it is BM yet!

JMO

Just catching up and still on page 26. If LE have known that BM has been lying all of this time, why have they not arrested him in by now? And I mean arrested for lying to officials and nothing more, at least until they have found evidence to suggest he was responsible for SM's disappearance. As someone else has stated, this has just happened with Megan Boswell. The same happened with Shannon Ryan recently, although much quicker.

This is the bit that i'm still struggling with - I just don't understand why they haven't arrested him for lying. Perhaps he isn't a flight risk, but he's responsible for those poor girls! If you're capable of murdering your wife, especially if premeditated, then you're capable of killing your daughters too - JMO of course.

I want a Chris Watts style interrogation, on video for us all to see, and I want the person questioning him to be a female. Part of me just wants to see a female bring him down and emasculate him, after years of thinking he could control the women in his life. JMO.

My response to the "why isn't he arrested" question is this:

LE want to have all their ducks in a row before BM is ever entitled to an attorney and to the evidence. When LE goes to the Judge for an arrest warrant, they want a super solid case that is already overwhelming in terms of discovery.

BM will then have to hire an attorney or increase his retainer with the one he has. BM must by now have an attorney (especially after the DM article), and the attorney either knew or didn't know about JP. If the attorney has not heard about the hotel room, JP and other details in that article, then the attorney is going to bill BM for a meeting and have a nice talk with him.

LE wants BM to deplete his resources in the meantime. They will nickel and dime him until they are good and ready to dangle him in front of the Court. No hurry. CoVid is making hearings get postponed.

Let BM spin his wheels for a while - there really is no hurry. I don't think he's going to murder anyone else right now. Personally, I don't think his daughters are living with him at this point in time, and I think LE is watching him pretty closely.

This is now the time when BM will spend hours on his attorney, for real. He will have to come up with a bigger sum of money and he'll blow through it faster. Right now, he has no right to any evidence - he's not the defendant. Yet. But he for sure is going to want reassurance from his attorney - and possibly want to work out a deal (who knows?) He might start laying the groundwork for that OR he might make a serious misstep.

Does BM have any friends left after today? Can he go into town for groceries without feeling under scrutiny? When AM and others descend upon Salida for vigils and searches, will BM lurk in the shadows, waiting for the inevitable? Will he crack?

Someone else knows something. Those someones are now figuring what the right thing to do might be, because no one wants to be an accessory after the fact for murder one.

It would be great if all the info published in SM's disappearance is accurate. I worked most of my life in newspaper publishing: The motto in the business was: "If your mother says she loves you, check it out!" At that time, nothing was published without first verifying and confirming the info. Things have changed.

Personally, my biggest issue with the whole guardianship of a missing person is the missing person does not have access to counsel but an incapacitated person does in my state. In fact, the court appoints an attorney to represent them in every step of the guardianship proceeding including the incapacity meetings (3) with physicians. Levels of incapacity are then determined. But the person has counsel and may still object to the guardianship. If the missing person had independent counsel to represent them, I would feel much better about using guardianship in this manner. Of course, I also believe the assets should be in a locked account and the guardian should petition for each individual transaction so there is oversight. Even if it ends up being just a rubber stamp. There would be a record of what was there, and what was used.

JMO
Its too late now for SM, but as a public service announcement it is possible to plan for incapacitation and ensure your wishes are followed. A person can have an inter vivos trust set up to handle financial assets, or create a living will for future medical decisions, or someone can set up a durable power of attorney that would authorize your chosen attorney to act on behalf in these matters. While anyone can do it, most people dont. I mean no one really believes their ever going to be a missing person or that they in someway be incapacitated. And just as a general reminder for everyone you should have a will and a living will just in cases. most states allow fill in the blank forms (cant say for sure which off the top of my head) but if you inbox me i promise i will check for you. dont keep putting it off! its 2020 and literally anything can happen now, i mean Carole baskin is a reality tv celebrity. tomorrow it could be aliens. i encourage everyone to make sure their assets are legally protected

Last edited:
About. Time. You. Showed. Up.
What, you couldn't reschedule your weekly mani/pedi just this once?
#WelcometotheDoghouse #UnexcusedAbsence

But you're right.
LE isn't going to arrest him for lying to police.

This is all about LE demonstrating that they're in control of everything that happens now.

It's also about LE progressively ratcheting up the perp's stress/anxiety level.
They have him on the installment plan right now.

They're putting him on notice that there's an axe dangling, without giving him any indication of when it's going to fall on his head.

Imagine the dread he must be feeling.

JMO.
The heat is being turned up, and he has to be nervous as all hell.

Rough past couple of weeks for Barry. First “anonymous family members” on Suzanne’s side said that Barry refused to take a polygraph and that his GPS didn’t align with his alibi.

Then Andy reiterated that on “Profiling Evil.” Although I think it was also him who was previously anonymous.

Then there was that vigil in Indiana, and another one coming up in Salida.

Then we have Andy organizing a massive 5 day search.

Then today we have today’s suspicious developments.

I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be Barry right now. I think it’s only a matter of time until LE comes knocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23