Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the female cougars....and bobcats are a whole other story

Seriously, mountain lions have been known to attack people in broad daylight in Colorado and California, including cyclists in Marin County.
If it's so common how come there have only been 27 fatal mountain lion attacks in the last 100 years in the US?

There is several reasons why I had wondered if BM knew any of these workers or friends before moving to Colorado.

MG said something about working with him for a long time (verbatim).

1) BM hunted for many years in Colorado and was part of some sort of hunting group, so he potentially knew many people before the move. MOO

IIRC they moved to Colorado in 2018? Would a person in that short of s time frame have a best friend who you trusted enough to involve him and/or her in regards to your wife missing? Even as just an alibi possibly?

Also, why did BM and SM move to Colorado?

2) BM's dream for many, many years had been to move to Colorado. I don't imagine they actually moved until SM received her inheritance. MOO

Daughter college?

3) Dad's dream becomes daughter's dream? MOO

Friend from Indiana had relocated there previously? Could BM have met somebody online/social media that lived there? Did BM push for this move so he could isolate SM more? Did someone persuade/convince BM/SM to move there as a business adventure/opportunity? Possibly a joint bsiness adventure? Under the table business adventure/partnership? Did BM have a landscaping business in Indiana? If not, what did he previously do?

4) BM has always been a landscaper. In Indiana the Indianapolis Star reported earlier this year about a many county hospitals profiting from Medicaid funds being diverted away from nursing homes. One of the key players owned a landscaping business. I wondered as soon as I read this, if BM had connections to this person. MOO

And another aspect of this is curious as to finances/money involved? IIRC SM (per AM) received either half million or 1 million, which neither of those amounts probably wouldn't even pay for the house itself?

So, to sum it up- did BM actually have a profitable landscaping business or is it possibly a situation like Fotis Dulos case where he, Fotis, really didn't have a profitable business but rather lived the high life on his wife's money who then also disappeared and has never been found?

And if it wasn't SM's money? or successful landscaping business, then where was the funds coming from? Possibly from something related to why the move to Colorado? I don't know??

5) My replies are based on personal knowledge, not hearsay or sleuthing, and are therefore MOO.

Last edited:
Wow! This timeline is going in all directions. I am confounded that BM or his cohorts would even make the suggestion that MG not hand over her phone. That is screaming from the roof top that he is guilty. It is also a clear indicator the two messengers knew BM was guilty. We would give you your paycheck but that would look like hush money. Yea ‘they know he did it’ so they came out with this unsubtle admission. IMO these two alleged accomplices were not mystery men to MG , small town, holding her paycheck. No description of them in this tell all interview (huge red flag). This story does not sit right with me.

I think it’s highly probable that CBI conducted the interviews with BM, and not local law enforcement. They seem to be taking a very active role here, like we saw in the Watts case.

Andy said that he was told by CBI that Barry refused a polygraph, and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Especially when coupled with BM saying he wasn’t offered one, which is flat out insane.

This is the exact type of case where I’d expect polygraphs to be used extensively. 30 hours of interviews and no polygraph? In the words of Kevin McAllister, “I don’t think so.”

BM saying he wasn’t offered one....well if you had no part in your wife’s disappearance and truly want to find her, why aren’t you begging LE to give you one? That way you can be cleared and they can put their focus elsewhere so she can be found. Just another red flag in my book.

If it's so common how come there have only been 27 fatal mountain lion attacks in the last 100 years in the US?
There have been about 125 attacks, so there are more injuries than deaths, but it's still rare. I think the reason people have been attacked while riding bikes is because they are mistaken for fast moving prey. Imo

Again, not necessarily. If Barry had counsel yet still was willing to speak with investigators for 30 hours, I'd be willing to bet that counsel negotiated certain terms for the questioning. One of the first terms would've been that a polygraph would not happen. I know because I've negotiated that type of stipulation before myself when clients have agreed to be interviewed.
Even negotiating to not offer a poly could be construed as a refusal, just a technicality of sorts IMO.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse about that ridiculous mountain lion story, but aren't mountain lions nocturnal hunters?

I am not sure how I will react if some hunter finds a 2ct rock in some cougar poo... it is rare, but actually on the increase. We ruled this out due to total lack of any cougar trail, scat, tracks, scent, by dogs or hunters, but I had convo off forum, other member pursued this with experienced tracker. it actually has merit, not likely in this particular case, but there have been cases where dogs missed one....so cougar attack is at almost bottom of my list...alien abduction. IIRC, During the weeks we beat this one to death, there were actually several attacks, sightings, in populated areas, garages, etc., in CO and CA, not as rare or unlikely as we would like, if I’m in the area, I learned to make myself look the least like a deer or small animal as possible, and you are not going to outrun one, bending over to repair your bike could end badly, etc...
IMO the search teams DID consider and ruled it out, prudent to do so.

This is a GREAT list. I'll add a few:

- what time BM arrived at the hotel in Broomfield
- what time BM departed the hotel
- every phone ping/gps point for BM on 05.09 & 05.10
- what time SM's phone last pinged in her home
- who planned the camping trip for the girls
- why TN backed out from helping so abruptly
-what was the peanut butter doing by the grill?

-what was the peanut butter doing by the grill?
I actually looked that up. I think that grilling with peanut butter is a thing now. There are several recipes for flame grilling with peanut butter. Two of which are peanut butter and jelly chicken thighs and peanut butter and pickle burgers. Sounds hideous to me.....also makes my tummy feel yucky at the thought. MOO

There is several reasons why I had wondered if BM knew any of these workers or friends before moving to Colorado.

MG said something about working with him for a long time (verbatim).

IIRC they moved to Colorado in 2018? Would a person in that short of s time frame have a best friend who you trusted enough to involve him and/or her in regards to your wife missing? Even as just an alibi possibly?

Also, why did BM and SM move to Colorado? Daughter college? Friend from Indiana had relocated there previously? Could BM have met somebody online/social media that lived there? Did BM push for this move so he could isolate SM more? Did someone persuade/convince BM/SM to move there as a business adventure/opportunity? Possibly a joint bsiness adventure? Under the table business adventure/partnership? Did BM have a landscaping business in Indiana? If not, what did he previously do?

And another aspect of this is curious as to finances/money involved? IIRC SM (per AM) received either half million or 1 million, which neither of those amounts probably wouldn't even pay for the house itself?

So, to sum it up- did BM actually have a profitable landscaping business or is it possibly a situation like Fotis Dulos case where he, Fotis, really didn't have a profitable business but rather lived the high life on his wife's money who then also disappeared and has never been found?

And if it wasn't SM's money? or successful landscaping business, then where was the funds coming from? Possibly from something related to why the move to Colorado? I don't know??
BBM. I don’t have any idea what MG means by a ‘long time’. Maybe she will be more specific if she is interviewed again.

Lot’s of unknowns still about any reasons for the move and other personal details.

I actually looked that up. I think that grilling with peanut butter is a thing now. There are several recipes for flame grilling with peanut butter. Two of which are peanut butter and jelly chicken thighs and peanut butter and pickle burgers. Sounds hideous to me.....also makes my tummy feel yucky at the thought. MOO
God help us.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I wonder what her part of this weird conversation was, we only hear something that begs to have a few more sentences before and after. If I were her, and if I had been jacked around on Saturday, suddenly losing half a day of work, being sent to Denver to stay in a hotel with a sloppy smelly mess being the first thing encountered, having no tools, ending up back home on Tuesday, being away from family for days with no productive reason....maybe Barry was playing hard to get, re the money, and maybe there was heavy sarcasm (insinuation?) on her part in asking for her money. And the out of pocket expenses, gas, food.
Also, I notice we haven't heard boo from her regarding which and how much of BM's mail was in the room, maybe the mail lead her to question something about his finances. Surely she and JP discussed what was in the waste basket?
They were friends and worked together but there were more than enough red flags since Sat. to annoy her and possibly she was feeling used by the time she may have ?demanded? her pay.

Last edited:
I wonder what her part of this weird conversation was, we only hear something that begs to have a few more sentences before and after. If I were her, and if I had been jacked around on Saturday, suddenly losing half a day of work, being sent to Denver to stay in a hotel with a sloppy smelly mess being the first thing encountered, having no tools, ending up back home on Tuesday, being away from family for days with no productive reason....maybe Barry was playing hard to get, re the money, and maybe there was heavy sarcasm (insinuation?) on her part in asking for her money. And the out of pocket expenses, gas, food.
Also, I notice we haven't heard boo from her regarding which and how much of BM's mail was in the room, maybe the mail lead her to question something about his finances. Surely she and JP discussed what was in the waste basket?
They were friends and worked together but there were more than enough red flags since Sat. to annoy her and possibly she was feeling used by time she may have ?demanded? her pay.
Apart from everything else, it was also her Mother's Day on Sunday .... BM doesn't seem to take anything into account.

Thank you for your reply.... I found some other answers for the questions.

“Barry said that he had been up there all day, like getting the job ready for us,” Gentile said. And, he also told Gentile, he was leaving. There’d been a family emergency, he said. He left some tools behind, at the hotel.

“But we didn’t have the tools that we needed,” she said. “It looked like Barry had emptied out his truck… all kinds of stuff that we didn’t need to do a retaining wall.”

But Barry had asked the crew to finish the job. So, they waited at the hotel for further instruction. Gentile said Barry called, distraught, on Monday morning around 8 a.m.

“He said like, Suzanne has gotten gotten attacked, or a mountain lion has got her,” Gentile said. He told Gentile they were going up the mountain to find his wife. He asked the crew to wait for a delivery of bricks, so they could finish the job they had traveled to Broomfield to do.

Gentile said they waited until Tuesday, but the material never arrived.

“I wasn’t gonna bother Barry with these phone calls because, you know, his wife is missing and I feel like this is a little problem compared to his problem,” she said.

Gentile said she and Puckett packed up and drove back to Salida, where the investigation into Suzanne’s disappearance was well underway. She said, back in town, she was approached by two men, both linked to Barry, who told her, “We would give you your paycheck, but we don’t want it to look like hush-hush money. You have rights, but you don’t have to give CBI your phone.”
“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

So she was not necessarily threatened and he did contact them.....
I was a little confused.
When I'm reading that, I wonder, if BM wanted to be his employees/contractors out of the way and not available at Salida. But why? Because of his mysterious timeline, which shouldn't be debunked too soon?

Wasn't there a bicyclist that saw a strange car in the area? Just what exact area was this? What's the description of this car? What time of day was this? etc, etc, etc. These are just some questions that I'd be interested also in asking,especially to see how all of this plays in to the timeline. JMO

While the cyclist may have appeared to be independent, it occurred to me at the time that they may have been manipulated by Barry.

Hey man, you cycle round here on a Sunday, don’t ya? Did you see a suspicious-looking car parked right here where I left it?

ETA ... or.... right here where I told my employee to leave their car...

When I'm reading that, I wonder, if BM wanted to be his employees/contractors out of the way and not available at Salida. But why? Because of his mysterious timeline, which shouldn't be debunked too soon?
BBM
This is exactly what I've been thinking about! No workers are stopping by BM's for anything. Got them out of Dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong