Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't argue with that...the only thing that seems strange is that LE hasn't released any information about her being "abducted" by a stranger. For e.g., there's been no missing person's alert describing her appearance, her clothing, or her last known whereabouts. That alone makes me think that LE is looking in another direction.
Bingo.

Just jumping off your post...
I am feeling a bit protective of the neighbor (JR) that allegedly called in the original missing person report...
Since then... She has not shared more knowledge...
And identifying with her... I would do the same (no comment, etc. )
What I DO wonder about is if she has actually been directed by the higher ups NOT to disclose information...
Seems she is stuck between a rock and a hard place...
JMO...
Yes that’s my thought - no comment
IMO

Can't argue with that...the only thing that seems strange is that LE hasn't released any information about her being "abducted" by a stranger. For e.g., there's been no missing person's alert describing her appearance, her clothing, or her last known whereabouts. That alone makes me think that LE is looking in another direction.
This is the first case I have followed on here, but I thought that was strange too. Then the sheriff saying something like “I hope he continues to cooperate,” the search of the house, and BM’s phone and car being seized.

That detail is not known to anyone byt LE at this time. <modsnip: snark>

Are you saying that nothing has been stated about dogs not finding a scent? I thought I'd read or heard that, maybe on one of the NG podcasts,and someone else discussing that the dogs were from the Dept of Corrections. Can anyone confirm there was info on dogs finding/not finding a trail?

Last edited by a moderator:
LE has never confirmed that the bike was recovered. The only person who has ever said that the bike was found was the nephew. The Facebook page has zero updates in the past few days. Usually pages like that are active every day in order to maintain interest and help spread the word. I’m used to posts about searches or hanging flyers or contacting media to get as much coverage as possible. Crickets.
LE has only stated that personal item/items have been found-I am pretty sure they did give a location on that. Is that location very far from the house? Did Suzanne have to bike to get there, or was it a short walk away? I’m trying to just get back to facts.

In my opinion, the bike was not planted. I think she was grabbed at that location, taken, and probably (by now) killed. Of course, staging is possible. But that theory is probably more persuasive (only?) to those who want to blame the husband. As Freud once said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
No one here at WS wants to 'blame the husband'.
Everyone for the most part has been fair and unbiased.
But we look at actions and words, mostly of law enforcement, but also the family of the missing.

One would have to admit that the immediate offer of a reward only a day after she went missing looks odd; as well as the home video that LE found out about at the same time as the public.
It helps in missing person's cases if LE and the family can work together in a united front , so to speak.

We can speculate, post theories, and also look at what LE have said and done; or what they haven't communicated to the public.
And their actions speak louder than words.

Was SM Alone?

@scapa :) bbm sbm Agreeing your ^ points, but not necessarily #1.
AFAIK, we/the gen public do not know when BM & two teen daughters left the home. Maybe LE knows.
Was departure time the same for all three? Was it sometime MoDay-Sunday? Saturday? Friday? Earlier?

If, say, all three left Thursday, did someone else visit SM at the house? When? How long? IDK.
I'm not suggesting SM did anything 'wrong' & not saying any visitor committed crime or was involved in her disappearance. A puzzling situation. jmo

{ETA: Is it possible SM herself was not at home the day(s) preceding MoDay-Sunday? IDK}
I do not have any answers to your questions...
But I like the way YOU think!
Perhaps I should be looking "further outside the box" than I have been.

Are you saying that nothing has been stated about dogs not finding a scent? I thought I'd read or heard that, maybe on one of the NG podcasts,and someone else discussing that the dogs were from the Dept of Corrections. Can anyone confirm there was info on dogs finding/not finding a trail?
NG's podcast said the dogs' results from searching outside the home were 'inconclusive'.
Consider the source :rolleyes:, but that may be accurate.
As in -- no scent from Suzanne outside the house leading away from the house.
It could mean she was taken away in a vehicle.
Which is interesting; imo.

This is the first case I have followed on here, but I thought that was strange too. Then the sheriff saying something like “I hope he continues to cooperate,” the search of the house, and BM’s phone and car being seized.
This ^^^
There does not seem to be much effort in finding a random abductor.
I've considered a disgruntled employee or a secret affair where someone wanted Suzanne gone.
That would point to someone outside the immediate family.

And now we know the neighbor may have been wrong about the bike ride.
But it depends on what the neighbor was told and by whom.

Well, just to pay Devil's Advocate, there is a campground nearby and in these days of CoVid, there are many more people living along roads and in campgrounds. Further, there have been other assaults and trouble west of Colorado Springs. Some of it was specifically against bicyclists (someone posted the Outdoor magazine article on it, I'll link it below).

At the edges of wilderness recreation areas, we often see trouble. The tendency for certain ne'er-do-wells to congregate outside of places like Yosemite and other wide open spaces is something documented in a series of books and articles.

Search Results

For a sample of murders near open spaces, spaces where the outdoor crowd goes.

But this is the one that comes to mind, as it isn't too far from Salida and involves some anti-biking whacko:

Murder on a Mountain Bike

It took a year to find this murdered man's body:

Chad Austin: Missing hiker’s remains found in Virginia woods. Police say he was likely killed.
Interesting viewpoint!

I think you do have points to be considered...
But as a nature lover I have always felt safer on the outskirts of wilderness than I have ever felt driving on California freeways!
Somehow...
To me...
Statistically I am gonna be way more apt to be sideswiped by a 2 ton metal vehicle going 65 MPH plus...
Right next to me...
Than I am to meet my demise at the edges of the wilderness...
ALL... JMO...

Heard the nephew...was interesting

He said 'I'm willing..' to disclose the bike was found on sunday

Now - he was either saying 'I'm WILLING' - emphasis: that he's 'willing' to say that, but not much else......

OR

'I'M willing' - emphasis that HE is willing to talk whereas other's won't & he's frustrated with that

He sounded very stressed - & I'm not surprised. How did the nephew get this 'job' of speaking to the public....OR, is it he's passionate enough about it, for whatever reason, he stepped up...?

Anyway....point is, I do think there was some kind of undercurrent to his words & phrasing

JMO

They're not that young; one is in college and the other is a Jr. in HS.

But I still imagine they're extremely sad and worried , and if they know anything that might help locate Suzanne I hope they'll talk to LE.
I am in my 70's. They are young to me. Yet old enough to understand. Old enough to be losing sleep at night.MOO.

This is a head scratcher. According to the Daily Mail article, she was last heard from on May 9. Her daughters became concerned on May 10 when they couldn't reach her for Mother's Day. So why would anyone assume that she went on a bike ride? Unless she told someone on the 9th that she was planning on riding the next day.
BBM:

Or someone else did.

If I tried to reach my mom on MD several times without success and became concerned, my first call would not be to a neighbor.

I'd reach out to my dad, to see if he'd heard from/spoken to her that day.

JMO.

Last edited:
I've considered this.
Extreme jealousy.
Look at the Heidi Broussard case....her flipping best friend killed her. Granted, she wanted the baby, but someone else might want Barry.

eta...oh, and that astronaut....remember the extremes she went to?
bbm
Exactly.
There's no telling what LE have uncovered.
None of us are pointing fingers as there's no poi or suspect named.

But an angry, vengeful lover ?
That's totally possible.
It takes time to go through cellphone records and look at gps on vehicles and see where it leads !

How does LE go about satisfying #4. If they haven't been in the place or have seen anything in there how can they be specific as to where they want to look and what they may want to remove. What do they do if when they get in there, they see something not listed in the warrant but is obviously of importance? Thank you.
I imagine and you attorneys jump in that when you get to this point in the investigation for a house and vehicles, phone etc, it's all fair game such as anything that may be tied to the disappearance can be collected as evidence.

I am in my 70's. They are young to me. Yet old enough to understand. Old enough to being losing sleep at night.MOO.
It's all in one's perspective.

This has to be traumatic for them, certainly !
They are old enough to make a statement at a press conference and ask the public to help with the search and plead for her safe return.
The ongoing silence is worrisome.

It's different for small children who are unaware of the machinations of adult relationships.

No one here at WS wants to 'blame the husband'.
Everyone for the most part has been fair and unbiased.
But we look at actions and words, mostly of law enforcement, but also the family of the missing.

One would have to admit that the immediate offer of a reward only a day after she went missing looks odd; as well as the home video that LE found out about at the same time as the public.
It helps in missing person's cases if LE and the family can work together in a united front , so to speak.

We can speculate, post theories, and also look at what LE have said and done; or what they haven't communicated to the public.
And their actions speak louder than words.
Yes and I would like to add this reward offer was done privately not through crime stoppers or LE as I posted upthread earlier today - so an “offer of reward” is meaningless IMO unless that money is escrowed and that information made public
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member