Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
House
Hotel
River Jobsite
Longhorn Ranch
Whatever location where someone snapped a pic of him laying down on the ground (where was that)?
Poncha Springs Store

Is Poncha Springs Store the same as the pic you’re referencing? Or are they separate? Is PS is confirmed, then we’ve got 5 (or 6 if the pic is separate)?

Alright, getting close. I added an eta above as a thought, but I don’t think there has been any mention of that, (firehouse), but I’ve been wondering about it, which is why I added a question mark.

So.

1. House
2. Hotel
3. Longhorn Ranch Property
4. Construction site with beach
5. .

The only one here I know that can do Rossmo’s Theory is @shadowraiths; (not sure if @dotr has ever tried)

@MassGuy, you any good with math? Posting the formula, standby (in case we get a 5th data point)

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/attachment-2-jpg.104853/

URL][IMG]

•The afternoon he spent in town.

•The cafe dumpster?

Alright, getting close. I added an eta above as a thought, but I don’t think there has been any mention of that, (firehouse), but I’ve been wondering about it, which is why I added a question mark.

So.

1. House
2. Hotel
5. .

The only one here I know that can do Rossmo’s Theory is @shadowraiths; (not sure if @dotr has ever tried)

@MassGuy, you any good with math? Posting the formula, standby (in case we get a 5th data point)

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/attachment-2-jpg.104853/

URL][IMG]
I had never heard of Rossmo’s Theory before.

From what I can gather though, it applies to serial offenders. I don’t see an application for a single crime (highly personal).

It’s used to determine where a serial offender lives.

1. House
2. Hotel
5. Poncha Springs Store
6. Photo location
(Not sure of 5 and 6 are separate yet, awaiting clarification on that from @Knox)
7. •The afternoon he spent in town
8 The cafe dumpster?
(Are 7 and 8 separate? @*Verdigris)

Last edited:
I had never heard of Rossmo’s Theory before.

From what I can gather though, it applies to serial offenders. I don’t see an application for a single crime (highly personal crime).

Using the same formula/Switching out variables...it’s my own idea lol. There’s no such thing, I don’t think haha.

Of course, these points would all be assessed by LE (and you guys)...It’s just an idea to cross reference awareness space and KNOWN case locations as implemented in Rossmo’s, to come up with a possible disposal area, that’s why I said “crazy idea“ to “cross-apply”. You could switch out the variables...it would be like Reverse Rossmo’s :D

Eta: What do we have to lose? I’m curious now. Especially since you guys have all those locations. Shoot, really what we need is all those points on one map, do we have one? Again, sorry if rehash. If there’s not a map with these, maybe cousin @otto can help. I’ll check the media thread. There’s probably one there already.

Last edited:
Do we have any clue what their normal weekend routine would have been? IMO
not that i know of. Honestly, and this makes me sad, i picture SM being stuck at home by herself alot. The girls are old enough they probably hang out with the friends and I have dont doubt BM always claims to be "working" and just does whatever he wants regardless.

Last edited:
I would say staying home especially during the Covid restrictions. Plus, staying home during her cancer treatments which I believe were going on prior to the Covid restrictions.

"Suzanne, a strong woman on many levels, overcame Hodgkins Lymphoma twice. Once before her children were born, and again as the Morphew family moved to Colorado. The family says they celebrated her last cancer treatment on October 1, 2019."
“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

1. House
2. Hotel
5. Poncha Springs Store
6. Photo location
(Not sure of 5 and 6 are separate yet, awaiting clarification on that from @Knox)
7. •The afternoon he spent in town
8 The cafe dumpster?
(Are 7 and 8 separate? @veridigris)

Crap, it's going to take me a while to go back to remind myself.

He said he was going to go home to "make the wife happy", but instead, ended up spending that afternoon in town. (Buying supplies or something?)

Dumpster was after she went missing, when he was (supposedly) searching for her/things, and when he scribbled the note about the helmet, biking clothes.

*Note -- this is just off the top of my head -
- still need to verify.

He said he was going to go home to "make the wife happy", but instead, ended up spending that afternoon in town. (Buying supplies or something?)

Dumpster was after she went missing, when he was (supposedly) searching for her/things, and when he scribbled the note about the helmet, biking clothes.

- still need to verify.

Sounds interesting.

I’m excited about this collaboration of “data points“. Decimals, coordinates...

Last edited:
Where have you been, OldCop? We could have used you the other day! Someone asked your opinion about the way LE handled the scenes the dogs alerted on, but that was before we knew they processed the scenes. It still would be great to hear your opinion on the way the case is being handled.

That article in the OP states that 75% of positive hits by dogs turn out to be false alerts. I always thought they missed the scent more often than falsely alerting. It's amazing what they can find, but it seems there are many things that can distract them.

What are your thoughts on the search and LE response overall? I may have missed your answer.

To @MsBetsy and also @TIGER0822 who asked for my opinion yesterday, (but the thread closed before I had a chance to respond), I’m still on the road for another 12 days or so, mostly off the grid. It takes all night to catch up when I finally get service. In some respects, catching up at the end of the day allows me to move through all the ups and downs quickly without waiting for hours for news. The following is my opinion only:
As a retired LEO, I tend to support the police, but also know that mistakes can be made, that there are officers who should not be on the job, and that sometimes, despite your best efforts, things do not go as planned. I also know that justice is not always swift, that investigations can be frustrating, but that 99 and 9/10ths of all officers work their hardest for the victims of crimes and the public they serve.
When I watched the drama on Monday play out, I was frankly concerned and surprised. Why did the Sheriff not provide the support to AM’s search that he promised? Why were the sites of cadaver dog hits not secured? Why were video footage that may be important to the case not collected by LE? Was BM correct in his assertions that LE has mishandled the case from the beginning? I started to have doubts. What was going on? Of course now I know that some of the reporting was not true or incorrect, that hit sites were being analyzed, and that CCSO continues to do a massive amount of work together with their partners, principally the CBI and the FBI.
This search organized by AM with the help of @ProfilingEvil was an extraordinary undertaking; an act of love by a brother who wants his sister found and to whom four months seems like a lifetime. For CCSO, who I really believe wanted to support this effort, this multi day search involving hundreds of volunteers was a logistical nightmare. We do not know what locations are significant to LE at this time. We don’t know where they may still be searching based on gps or cellular data. We now have hundreds of well-meaning folks who could potentially destroy or corrupt potential evidence. We have the problem of contamination or planted evidence. Cadaver dogs, as wonderful as they are, when not working a case together with LE, present their own set of problems as we saw on Sunday and Monday. I do believe that CCSO wants to support SM’s family, but does not want to jeopardize the case. They are between a rock and a hard place.
A lot of folks were concerned or angry when the question of budget came up. It’s not as if the CCSO has unlimited monies that can be spent as they choose. They receive their money from the county budget which is a finite amount. I have attached a copy of the CCSO 2020 budget. This budget allots $12,000. for Criminal Investigations and $75,000. for overtime for the entire year. This amount is minuscule in a months long investigation. It must also cover every other case that comes up during the course of the year. It’s not that they don’t want to spend the money, it’s that they don’t have it to spend.
I, like most others here on WS, wish I knew more of what LE has for evidence. It is particularly frustrating to me because I was the one who used to get that evidence to analyze. It makes me want to be an “insider” again. Knowing what goes on behind the scenes gives me confidence in the efforts of LE so far in this case. By virtue of the manhours involved, the inter agency cooperation, the searches conducted, and the tips received, I feel strongly that they continue to put forth their best effort in trying to determine what happened to Suzanne and who did it.
I’m not surprised at how things became derailed on Monday. There was so much hope when the search started. Everyone was high on hope. It was easy to become angry, defeated, depressed, and deflated when we didn’t get the outcome we wanted. It is common to lash out under these circumstances. “Look at all we’ve done. We’ve tried as hard as we could. Why didn’t we find the answers we needed?”
I didn’t want to come off as an LE fanboy in this response, but I guess I did. We know CCSO acted quickly from the very beginning. I don’t think they dropped the ball. In this case, so far, I’m still confident in the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Task Force.

Attachments

• 64573E42-5702-47D1-AC6C-9146DC6163D0.jpeg
    64573E42-5702-47D1-AC6C-9146DC6163D0.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1BD7E7DD-DB3A-454E-9C38-A02BB4081C08.png
    1BD7E7DD-DB3A-454E-9C38-A02BB4081C08.png
    581.8 KB · Views: 50
  • BF00EA5B-B3EA-49C7-82A4-856CC7660552.png
    BF00EA5B-B3EA-49C7-82A4-856CC7660552.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 43

- still need to verify.
There was also a dumpster that BM and SM spoke to a cleaning lady while on a walk during the week. It was in the neighborhood. The cleaning lady was servicing a rental property such as an AirBNB.

- still need to verify.
So Morgan said she heard he spent the day in town, but there are two problems:

She heard this second hand

We don’t know the timing of this

The note was left on May 12.

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

1. House
2. Hotel
5. Poncha Springs Store
6. Photo location

Can everyone agree these are confirmed data points? Any others? Any changes needed?

Adding additional quotes:
There was also a dumpster that BM and SM spoke to a cleaning lady while on a walk during the week. It was in the neighborhood. The cleaning lady was servicing a rental property such as an AirBNB.

- still need to verify.

So Morgan said she heard he spent the day in town, but there are two problems:

She heard this second hand

We don’t know the timing of this

The note was left on May 12.

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

Last edited:
Sounds interesting.

I’m excited about having a collaboration of data points.

Well, I've been keeping up, but doing my best to stay at a distance to save my sanity (as you know all too well how entrenched we can get) -- so have no notes, but I will go back and check on these two points.

Meanwhile, there is probably someone who has it all gathered already, and if so - to anyone who does - please feel free to "step on my toes" to get the pertinent info to Magz more quickly!

To @MsBetsy and also @TIGER0822 who asked for my opinion yesterday, (but the thread closed before I had a chance to respond), I’m still on the road for another 12 days or so, mostly off the grid. It takes all night to catch up when I finally get service. In some respects, catching up at the end of the day allows me to move through all the ups and downs quickly without waiting for hours for news. The following is my opinion only:
As a retired LEO, I tend to support the police, but also know that mistakes can be made, that there are officers who should not be on the job, and that sometimes, despite your best efforts, things do not go as planned. I also know that justice is not always swift, that investigations can be frustrating, but that 99 and 9/10ths of all officers work their hardest for the victims of crimes and the public they serve.
When I watched the drama on Monday play out, I was frankly concerned and surprised. Why did the Sheriff not provide the support to AM’s search that he promised? Why were the sites of cadaver dog hits not secured? Why were video footage that may be important to the case not collected by LE? Was BM correct in his assertions that LE has mishandled the case from the beginning? I started to have doubts. What was going on? Of course now I know that some of the reporting was not true or incorrect, that hit sites were being analyzed, and that CCSO continues to do a massive amount of work together with their partners, principally the CBI and the FBI.
This search organized by AM with the help of @ProfilingEvil was an extraordinary undertaking; an act of love by a brother who wants his sister found and to whom four months seems like a lifetime. For CCSO, who I really believe wanted to support this effort, this multi day search involving hundreds of volunteers was a logistical nightmare. We do not know what locations are significant to LE at this time. We don’t know where they may still be searching based on gps or cellular data. We now have hundreds of well-meaning folks who could potentially destroy or corrupt potential evidence. We have the problem of contamination or planted evidence. Cadaver dogs, as wonderful as they are, when not working a case together with LE, present their own set of problems as we saw on Sunday and Monday. I do believe that CCSO wants to support SM’s family, but does not want to jeopardize the case. They are between a rock and a hard place.
A lot of folks were concerned or angry when the question of budget came up. It’s not as if the CCSO has unlimited monies that can be spent as they choose. They receive their money from the county budget which is a finite amount. I have attached a copy of the CCSO 2020 budget. This budget allots $12,000. for Criminal Investigations and $75,000. for overtime for the entire year. This amount is minuscule in a months long investigation. It must also cover every other case that comes up during the course of the year. It’s not that they don’t want to spend the money, it’s that they don’t have it to spend.
I, like most others here on WS, wish I knew more of what LE has for evidence. It is particularly frustrating to me because I was the one who used to get that evidence to analyze. It makes me want to be an “insider” again. Knowing what goes on behind the scenes gives me confidence in the efforts of LE so far in this case. By virtue of the manhours involved, the inter agency cooperation, the searches conducted, and the tips received, I feel strongly that they continue to put forth their best effort in trying to determine what happened to Suzanne and who did it.
I’m not surprised at how things became derailed on Monday. There was so much hope when the search started. Everyone was high on hope. It was easy to become angry, defeated, depressed, and deflated when we didn’t get the outcome we wanted. It is common to lash out under these circumstances. “Look at all we’ve done. We’ve tried as hard as we could. Why didn’t we find the answers we needed?”
I didn’t want to come off as an LE fanboy in this response, but I guess I did. We know CCSO acted quickly from the very beginning. I don’t think they dropped the ball. In this case, so far, I’m still confident in the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Task Force.
Great post. Thank you!

Thank you for responding, @ivegotthe mic; however, I was thinking not so much of a victim's family recovering costs as municipal, state, and federal LE agencies that have expended enormous resources to attempt to locate remains and to analyze cellphone records and EVI, travel to multiple states to interview friends and associates, etc.
This is particularly true when you have a small jurisdiction saddled with a huge case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam