CO CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Mysti88c, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

bbm
    Ita.

Considering the wording of that email with the fake message... it's a good bet who wrote it.
    "Barry is just beside himself..."
    Sounds like a loyal and devoted mother; imo. ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020

2. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

The way it's worded, I was under the impression it was a group message on FB to individual church members. Which would mean, whoever sent it, was certainly in SM's very close circle of friends/family to be FB friends with all those folks.

That narrows it down immediately to... well, door #1. :cool:

NoSI, Rolo, Sunny123 and 26 others like this.
  3. Midwestmom2019

Midwestmom2019 Well-Known Member

He had two phones.

4. Subiechik21

Subiechik21 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this with us! I appreciate your insight & experience in CO real estate matters.

NoSI, windrower, Rolo and 14 others like this.
  5. Midwestmom2019

He had two phones.

Saw this after my post.

susiQ, Subiechik21, al66pine and 3 others like this.
  6. Dave F.

Dave F. Former member

NWLady, AnnaGrace, Chocoholic and 7 others like this.
  7. LietKynes

bbm
    Ita.
    Of course.

A person who could kill his spouse would not hesitate to eliminate anyone else who posed a threat or just didn't "play nice".
    This could very sadly include children and family members, as well as employees.
    BM now holds all of Suzanne's assets and anyone speaking up for Suzanne -- or against him -- could be in mortal danger at worst, or cast adrift without finances at best.

This was seemingly about control, and I think this could have been a motive in Suzanne's disappearance.
    It's safe to call it what sheriff Spezze labeled it-- a "criminal investigation".
    Not a missing person's investigation.
    LE never promoted the possibility that she was missing or abducted, so we need to look at the hard facts of this case.
    Hoping for a break soon !
    Imo.

Rolo, tmar, TRB and 23 others like this.
  8. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

RBBM
    1. BM allegedly said that law enforcement saw a mountain lion.

2. No. AM is not the civilian who initiated the narrative. Not even possibly.

NoSI, TRB, PaulaDC and 23 others like this.
  9. Feistyomi

Feistyomi Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, email exists, however the wording is such that it probably isn’t Barry. It is still just a statement of the early theories, just do not see why this seems to be BM pushing any narrative he concocted.
    Again, I consider this to be a red herring, that nevertheless got thoroughly searched and discredited... a false lead, not generated by BM.
    I find the fact that LE did take it seriously indicative that source of lead was credible.

The only reason I brought this up, (again, sigh), I am systematically trying to sort our early speculation, and perhaps clarify it now that we have input from AM.

BM didn’t premeditate a lion attack explanation...MVHO

10. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

Is EVI the same as GPS?
    Or is that different?

11. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Financial motive ? if there was a break in the relationship coming - and divorce was an option - each individual may have to fill out a financial affidavit and provide supporting documents that may possibly uncover a double financial life - not sure how divorce works in CO - this is of course speculation on my part - but could possibly factor in should we discover something was amiss.
    JMO

NoSI, Rolo, tmar and 21 others like this.
  12. LietKynes

Agreed.
    I was checking back in the media thread and you are correct.
    BM said that LE saw the mountain lion, and this was clarified by LE to AM.

LE did not tell AM that they had seen the big cat; but that BM told them he saw one.
    I think by the time the media reported it-- they mistakenly believed that LE saw a mountain lion.
    Can't help but compare the words 'big cat' to "bobcat", as in a slip of the tongue by a man desperate for LE to believe his lies.
    But the original story came from BM.

The bike ride story came first after BM may have suggested it to the neighbor doing a welfare check, and my .02 is that BM changed it when he saw LE were questioning his fibs.
    I believe AM is sincere.
    Imo.

NoSI, girlhasnoname, Rolo and 15 others like this.
  13. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

I've thought there was funny money involved for a long time. A financial house of cards. A divorce could reveal a lot of financial trickery, imo.

14. Megnut

Megnut Well-Known Member

The only thing that surprises me is that the Cat didn't cross in front of 100 police cars.

JMO

15. Midwestmom2019

If someone leads a double life financially, there usually is a double of something else. Two sets of books is not a double financial life.
    So my question is motive. Why the big rush to remove Suzanne from his life? There was enough money to fund two separate lives, two households. One for him. One for Suzanne. If he was tired of her cancer, he could have hired some one to care for her, take her to appointments. Buried himself in work, like missing Mother’s Day. If he wanted ALL the money, then the finances when traced, will reveal that angle, too. He wanted freedom from her.
    Why?

16. steeltowngirl

steeltowngirl Well-Known Member

Is the theory here that SM had entered a third bout of cancer? Has that been substantiated?

If yes, does your theory propose that BM was so overwhelmed by this news, and the pressure HER cancer might put on HIM to step up and assist his wife? And he finally snapped?

I’m sorry, I realize it’s just a theory, but the mere thought makes my blood boil. :mad:

jmo

Rolo, Chocoholic, Moonchime and 15 others like this.
  17. Dalgliesh

Dalgliesh Former Member

I agree with you, to the extent that LE's offer to test MG may indicate they think she's holding back.

But there are good reasons an innocent person who is not holding back would refuse to take a polygraph. Knowing what I know, I would never submit to a polygraph under any circumstances. I have said this before:

"Lie detection" technology has a dodgy history and an obvious flaw that MG could easily discover on the internet if she doesn't have a lawyer.

Although there are studies showing that - under carefully controlled conditions that rarely exist in actual criminal investigations - skilled polygraphers can accurately determine guilty and innocent subjects at rates that are better than chance, they cannot say whether a particular suspect who fails an examination falls in the the true positive or the false positive category.

Therefore, the accuracy rates in the studies may not be as impressive as they seem.

Let's say, a bank with 100 employees experiences losses over several months that are suspected to be the result of theft. Each employee is given a polygraph test, and the results indicate Joe and Jane stole the money. However, the real thieves prove to be Dan and Darlene. Even though the polygraph results were entirely wrong and misleading, the polygrapher can still claim an accuracy rate of 96% - all but four people were correctly classified.

Moreover, self-stimulating countermeasures (biting tongue, pressing toes to the floor, etc.) have been shown to reduce the polygraphers' detection of guilty suspects by 50% (Honts, Raskin, & Kirchner, 1994). And of course, some people are so controlled or nonreactive emotionally that lying produces little physiological response, while others overreact to some questions because of unique factors unrelated to their truthfulness.

Toward the end of his career, John A. Larson - a polygrapher who developed a widely used interrogation technique - became disillusioned with the widespread misuse of the polygraph. He complained that, "the lie detector, as used in many places, is nothing more than a psychological third degree aimed at extorting confessions as much as the old physical beatings were." (Skolnick, 1961, p. 703) This assessment was affirmed by the research of Richard Ofshe and Richard Leo, who published a study of false confessions in 1997.

New technologies can monitor modulations in the voice, dilation of the pupils, tension in the facial muscles, and neural activity in the brain. However, the enduring problem is that there is no distinctive set of physiological responses exclusively associated with lying. There is no unique tone of voice, no distinctive rhythm to the heartbeat, no precise change in blood pressure, and no signature pattern of neural excitation in the brain. Without such a clear signal to detect, these technologies cannot produce a trustworthy method of determining when the subject is lying.

Rolo, Chocoholic, Feistyomi and 17 others like this.
  18. DizzyB

DizzyB Well-Known Member

Based on what I have read here, I think I would refuse the test, unless it was a family member that I was desperately searching for. I truly do not feel like LE would trump up charges just to take the easy way out in my loved one’s murder investigation.

However, I would be nervous to take a poly, and upon legal advice, would refuse if I could somehow be implicated as an accessory and pressured into testifying or otherwise being involved in something that was someone else’s mess. I would also be concerned about the questions-what would happen if I lied about an affair, or drug use, or maybe my job? I’d let my lawyer handle everything going forward if it wasn’t me.

19. Hoosierfan72

Hoosierfan72 Well-Known Member

So the two men that the DW knows received friend requests from SM - one was a little older than BM, so maybe 5 years older than SW. The other was around AM's age, so about 8 years older than SM. It's highly unlikely any of these men were crushes of SM - she would have been in middle school (or even grade school) when these friends were in high school. So it's an interesting thought, but doesn't quite line up based on the age differences.

It truly doesn't make sense - if it was accidental or some sort of FB-driven option (I know on LinkedIN, you can hit one button and send "connection requests" to everyone in your contacts, for example), you'd think there would be male and female recipients (which is possibly true, but we're only aware of men who recieved them). So if these were selected for one reason or another, I can't for the life of me think of a good reason they were.....

NWLady, windrower, Rolo and 27 others like this.
  20. Lilypad13

Lilypad13 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Dave F. Its very fuzzy when I zoom in but it does look a little funky. The other photo looked to me like it could be a healing cut that had scab on it. I also thought BM’s hands looked red and swollen in TD’s video and that BM was limping. IMO I need to go watch the TD video for the millionth time and look closer at his finger. I’m sure LE looked over BM closely for injuries and probably photographed him as well. But that doesn’t mean there weren’t any there that we don’t know about yet. Also could explain why he didn’t attend the initial press conference with the CCSO and why he stayed hidden so long before his 26 second video plea.

I also looked again at the photos in the article you linked and in the aerial photo of the dig site I see faint, but obvious once you look, tire tracks going straight down to the rocks by the beach area where the cadaver dog made those non passive hits. Or maybe LE has ruled out that the three times the dog showed interest there weren’t credible hits. I’m still confused about that and why they dug at LHR but not at the beach.

Anyway, perhaps I need to stop zooming in on photos! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.